coldrolled
01-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers sign:

FB Jamie McCoy
G Nevin McCaskill
DB Donovan Warren

--- Added 1/8/2011 at 05:22 PM ---

Jamie McCoy Could Be A Steal In The NFL Draft

Aggie FB/TE Jamie McCoy is currently projected as a possible late round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, if he gets drafted at all. McCoy ran a 4.56 and a 4.57 at the A&M Pro Day, times that would have put him at #2 among TEs at the NFL Combine. Unfortunately, McCoy was not invited to the NFL Combine for reasons that are still unclear to me (it should be noted that scouts also chose not to invite Texas Tech WR Wes Welker to the Combine when he finished his eligibility, either; six years and three All-Pro selections later, you have wonder how many scouts admit to the stupidity of that decision), so his numbers are not compared to what he did at the Combine.

McCoy started all 13 games of the 2009 season, playing at both TE and FB. He finished with 35 receptions for 367 yards, 2 TDs, and 11 carries for 80 yards. At 6'2, 240 lbs, McCoy has the size and athleticism to excel as a blocker; he has the receiving ability to be a complete TE. He also can run the ball as a FB, or break the I and split out as a receiver. McCoy looks like a natural for the H-back position most teams want in their offense to replace the prototypical blocking TE, which is what makes the lack of interest in him so perplexing to me.

If McCoy ends up drafted in the late rounds, I think some team is going to end up with an absolute steal at TE. If McCoy goes undrafted and has to sign on with a team as a free agent, he will have to go the same route Welker did, and prove everybody wrong when he gets into training camp and onto the field.

jnes1216
01-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Looks like David Johnson got some training camp competition.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2011, 09:02 PM
It would be nice to have a true FB actually make the roster and contribute. Wishful thinking, I know...

Phdboy2020
01-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I agree that it would be nice to have a FB contribute. When we were rolling with Dan Kreider. It hopefully will help Mendy out a lot as well as our lineman. As for Warren, I think that he is a project, but def has good upside to him. Will prolly be better as a safety or nickel back in our scheme. Our veteran secondary guys will teach him how to be a pro.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Kreider and Mendenhall combo would be wicked tough to beat. I'd be all over seeing those 2 hook up in the run game.

H3INZFI3LDST33L
01-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I want Pitt's Henry Hynoski as the Steelers FB next season. The guy is pretty much a guard in the backfield with pass catching abilities. Pretty quick for a big man too! I could see Hynoski even lining up as tackle eligible on the goal line and catching some TD's.

Unfortunately, if BA is still around, Hynoski will not be drafted... :-(

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
As long as Arians is around, you guys can stop wishing for a real FB. Kuhn would still be here if it wasn't for Arains assinine ideas.

JensK
01-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Donovan Warren was regarded a pretty good CB before last years draft. He fell and apparently havnt done much so far, but he have talent thats for sure. He was up around first round in some of the early mocks that year.

coldrolled
01-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Donovan Warren was regarded a pretty good CB before last years draft. He fell and apparently havnt done much so far, but he have talent thats for sure. He was up around first round in some of the early mocks that year.

i think he blew his 40 times... combine times...

send him to speed training and get him playing. jets didnt need him... kinda like us letting gibson go. to many lb's. jets had two many db's

:yellowthumb:

SteelersWoman
01-10-2011, 07:53 AM
As long as Arians is around, you guys can stop wishing for a real FB. Kuhn would still be here if it wasn't for Arains assinine ideas.

:plus1:

coldrolled
01-10-2011, 09:17 AM
:plus1:

Maybe this is a sign from the FO ...

The new OC will need a FB, so we now have two rookies to coach...

jpele
01-10-2011, 09:58 AM
And I quote

Arians refuses to utilize a fullback in his offense, instead occasionally slipping in a backup tight end such as Sean McHugh or David Johnson. Any confusion about Arians’ feelings regarding fullbacks were clarified in this quote from him prior to last season: “I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.”

MDSteel15
01-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Maybe we are going to get a late Christmas present and his whack azz is outta here! :bunny:

K Train
01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
love warren....not a pro CB but a FS with pretty incredible instincts despite being too slow to play fulltime CB.

one of my favorite UDFAs last year....i like it

and btw kuhn was a nobody when he was here+packers love white guys so dont give me that

coldrolled
01-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Update Six signed.

Agreeing to contract are running back James Johnson, fullback Jamie McCoy, guard Nevin McCaskill, linebackers Baraka Atkins and Mortty Ivy, and cornerback Donovan Warren.

Atkins was a fourth-round pick (120th overall) out of the University of Miami by the Seattle Seahawks in 2007 who went to training camp in 2010 with the Denver Broncos. The other five were undrafted free agents, with Ivy finishing the 2010 season on the Miami Dolphins' practice squad.

--- Added 1/11/2011 at 02:41 PM ---

James Johnson is a runningback in the NFL for the Green Bay Packers. He is a 1 year veteran of the NFL. Born 9/6/1984 in Baton Rouge, LA, James Johnson played football at Kansas State before jumping to the NFL in 2009.