PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Woodley gets full sack, ties Harrison's record

jpele
01-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley tied a team record Wednesday without playing a game.

After a film review by Elias Sports Bureau, Woodley was credited with a full sack in the Steelers' victory Sunday in Cleveland, not a half-sack that he initially was awarded along with fellow linebacker Larry Foote.

That means Woodley finished the regular season with 10 sacks, marking the third consecutive season in which he has registered double-digit sacks. The only other player in team history to do that is outside linebacker James Harrison, who has posted 16, 10 and 10 1/2 sacks, respectively, in the past three seasons.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11006/1115902-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1AMBJOTmu

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Hard to argue with success, Wood had a great year last year and this year has been pretty steady overall. He's had some monster games but this year the sacks have come from a lot of different players. I believe the sack total for the Steelers this year has come from atleast 8 different players. Credit Lebeau for all the creative blitzes and putting multiple guys in position to make plays.

jpele
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Wonder what LaMarr could do if he started the season at full speed instead of waiting til the half way point ?

coldrolled
01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Wonder what LaMarr could do if he started the season at full speed instead of waiting til the half way point ?

Maybe put a rookie in more often until he decides he is going to play harder?

UKSTEELER
01-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Non-plussed by him last year . . .

I was expecting a lot more this year, but I am so far unimpressed!

He caught fire last time he was in the playoffs, so here's hoping?
:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I haven't had a problem with Wood this year, he's made a lot of plays. I did notice that he seemed to miss out on a good number of potential sacks by over pursuit or just flat out missing the tackle. However he follows it up with a good play. He's not spectacular but he's solid and will give you a good effort every week. I don't think there's any question he'll return next year. There's already talk of using the franchise or transition tag on him depending on how the CBA works out.

UKSTEELER
01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I haven't had a problem with Wood this year, he's made a lot of plays. I did notice that he seemed to miss out on a good number of potential sacks by over pursuit or just flat out missing the tackle. However he follows it up with a good play. He's not spectacular but he's solid and will give you a good effort every week. I don't think there's any question he'll return next year. There's already talk of using the franchise or transition tag on him depending on how the CBA works out.

He has the most quarterback pressures on the team, which can't be bad. He does tend to get a decent push and seems around the QB but never quite get's there, this ability however has led him to being there for a lot of clean up duty.

I think it's this ability with him that I like the best, . . he was there to pick up the fumble against the Rats and he had that nice pick six of Carson too, he's also blown up some nice running plays on the edge . . .

I just feel, if you look at his tackle stats, he's not doing it consistently enough, he's not quite the great player I thought he was going to be, and when compared to Harrison on the other side, well, . . . it's tough to beat James on the stat sheet.

As said before, . . I hope Wood thrives in the playoffs.

He is part of a great defense and that shouldn't be underestimated, spose it's like picking flies out of ****, but I like perfection, he can be better, I believe that.

Go Steelers!:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Wood on Tunch & Wolf's radio show today talking about that sack. He said Foote told him after the play was over, "that was your sack man, I just fell on him after you did the work" LOL.

steelersbabex25
01-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't get where this hating on Woodley is coming from. I haven't had a problem with him at all this year. He consistantly get double teamed and put against the best lineman (well..most of our linebackers do, I guess) and he makes the sack 10 times apparently. You are all spoiled :lol: You're expecting the Steeler defense from '08, that can't happen every year. That defense was unreal and it was possibly the best since the Steeler defense of the 70s. Everyone was on their game 100%, but that can't happen every year. Woodley is a top linebacker IMO. You can't expect him to have his best year every year.

DanRooney
01-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Really? Woodley's getting consistently double teamed? Well Harrison is too so that must mean offenses are using max protect on ever play and never try to spread out the Steelers defense with 3 and 4 wide recei...

wait a minute :nono:

jpele
01-07-2011, 10:37 PM
No hating on Woodley at least on my part. What bugs me is I see the talent and I also see that he's not showing up every game.

steelersbabex25
01-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Really? Woodley's getting consistently double teamed? Well Harrison is too so that must mean offenses are using max protect on ever play and never try to spread out the Steelers defense with 3 and 4 wide recei...

wait a minute :nono:

Yes, Woodley and Harrison are the two linebackers that are challenged the most.

steelchamp204
01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I like woodley but idk if we will resign him, I wanna see sylvester and worlds play