PDA

View Full Version : New Overtime rules start Saturday

bigplaysteel
01-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Looks to me like the 1st team that kicks a FG gives the game away. 4th and goal from anywhere inside the 20 yard line I don't think I kick a FG on the 1st possession.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81d72298/article/so-long-sudden-death-playoffs-offer-new-overtime-approach

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81d72298/article/so-long-sudden-death-playoffs-offer-new-overtime-approach

The above 2 links are the same. #1 copy-paste which usually doesn't work. #2 drag & drop [tried something new].

Maybe one of these games this week goes OT. I'd like to see how this plays out.

Steel Trap86
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
lol woodley didn't even know this until today.

ejsteeler
01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
I like the onside kick or muffed catch loophole. If you are the receiving team and don't recovery either of these, you lost your opportunity possession. Also, a safety ends the game. It will be interesting to see if any of these come about.

SteelDad
01-06-2011, 02:49 PM

He must be tight with McNabb.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
The chances of this coming into play are more likely during wildcard weekend rather than the divisional round. teams are more evenly matched in this weekends games so it's quite possible we could see these rules have an impact on the games.

steelersbabex25
01-06-2011, 03:27 PM

:lol: I saw that I was like :wtf:

LarryNJ
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I like the rule, it opens up an entire new strategy especially with good defensive teams. Do you kick and take the wind knowing your defense probably won't give up a TD? Although I think it's crazy to implement it in the playoffs. Should have it in the beginning of the year.

airbrake 1
01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
this is a lousy time to start a rule change...this should have been started at the beginning of the year or they should wait until the beginning of next season

SteelDad
01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
this is a lousy time to start a rule change...this should have been started at the beginning of the year or they should wait until the beginning of next season

Agreed. Absolutely no reason this was not implemented throughout the season which would have given coaches more time to prepare for a different type of game management. I really don't want to see a mistake cost someone in OT unless of course its' our opponent.:grin1:

Steel Trap86
01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
This was passed during the off-season, after how tight the Saints/Vikings game was. Mostly everybody has known about it although some players didn't. They should have known though cause well....I did

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I hate the fact they are adding this during the season, if it's rule it should be used all year long... :2cents:

jnes1216
01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
I hate the fact they are adding this during the season, if it's rule it should be used all year long... :2cents:

Just like steeltrap86 said, this rule was installed in the summer offseason 2010 but not in effect until the playoffs. With our red zone deficiencies, this could be interesting to see how MT strategizes this in game plans. The coin toss will be huge so you could defer to the second possession if you have a strong defense like pitts. On the other hand, if neither defense is stopping anyone I would think you would take the ball first and go for the touchdown on first possession.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2011, 08:03 PM
They way the Saints were coming back I thought this might come into play in the Seahawks game. That would have been interesting.