PDA

View Full Version : Coordinators being interviewed for HC jobs

coldrolled
01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Of course.. once again.. the OC from the Steelers is overlooked and hiding under the radar... with no contract extension for 2011, you would think he would be picked for an interview. he won a super bowl. :grin1:

Browns Head Coaching Candidates Taking Shape

A day after firing Eric Mangini, Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren is lining up interviews with head coaching candidates.

Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network reports that Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey will interview with the Browns. When the Browns will interview Mularkey is unknown, but the former Buffalo Bills head coach is interviewing with the Denver Broncos in Atlanta on Friday, and it would make sense for Mularkey and the Browns to meet during the Falcons' bye week.

St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will interview with the Browns, reports Greg Bedard of The Boston Globe. Shurmur's NFL coaching career began with the Philadelphia Eagles, where he coached the quarterbacks and tight ends through 2008.

Shurmur worked under Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who is also expected to interview for the Browns' job, Rueben Frank of CSNPhilly.com reports.

Like longtime Eagles head coach Andy Reid, Mornhinweg is a branch of the Mike Holmgren coaching tree.

On the defensive side, New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is expected to be interviewed, as well.

K Train
01-04-2011, 03:24 PM
could you imagine how happy an entire region would be if arians got a HC job somewhere lmao

coldrolled
01-04-2011, 03:31 PM
could you imagine how happy an entire region would be if arians got a HC job somewhere lmao

with no contract.. wouldnt bruce have an agent putting his name out there? even for another OC job.

LatrobePA
01-04-2011, 03:34 PM

HC job in Cleveland, pricless!!

He's not flying under the radar but around it!!

Goodfrom55
01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Well, if the Steelers are going to dump Arians, I hope they waste no time in doing so (after the season). It will take Ben and company quite some time to learn a new system and have it become 2nd nature.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
On a serious note, the Steelers coordinators would appear to be pretty safe at this point. Lebeau is happy where he is, he's done the head coaching thing and he knows his place is with the Steelers. Nobody in their right mind would ever look at Arians, although how awesome would it be if they did! Tomlin made changes heading into this year at the ST and OL coach positions. Butler & Horton would be the only ones that I'd be concerned about getting looks from other teams.

LatrobePA
01-04-2011, 04:22 PM
100% BA will be back...And if he could call games like he did this past week I'd have a much better time dealing with it..

But to call 1 good game the whole season isn't good enough...

cmerrifield
01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
The only guy that scares me to lose is our Linebackers coach, he has already passed on 2 DC jobs. Even if he has been promised LeBeau's job after he leaves, there is no telling when that will be. I hope he stays, I am pretty sure he would be able to continue LeBeau's tradition

Goodfrom55
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
The only guy that scares me to lose is our Linebackers coach, he has already passed on 2 DC jobs. Even if he has been promised LeBeau's job after he leaves, there is no telling when that will be. I hope he stays, I am pretty sure he would be able to continue LeBeau's tradition

You're referring to Keith Butler. Agreed. He is the heir apparent to DLBeau. Wouldn't mind seeing Ray Horton (Secondary coach) being shown the door. Outside of Troy and Ike, secondary stinks and I'm not just talking about personnel.

Raleigh Steel
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
i honestly believe that arians retires after this season. i've heard lots of rumors that his health isn't the greatest, and with no contract extension, this could be it.

Goodfrom55
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
100% BA will be back...And if he could call games like he did this past week I'd have a much better time dealing with it..

But to call 1 good game the whole season isn't good enough...

My ONLY issue with Arians play calling last week was I would have not shown anyone the Randle El TD play in a meaningless game. Something like that could have been used in a playoff game in the right situation to put the Steelers over the edge.

Otherwise, I thought he called a good game.

steelersbabex25
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM

Oh Bruce..we're so sorry to hear that you're leaving.....

:woot::dance::coolbanana::bounce2::partytime:
:jump1::drinkup::party5:

Raleigh Steel
01-04-2011, 08:52 PM
My ONLY issue with Arians play calling last week was I would have not shown anyone the Randle El TD play in a meaningless game. Something like that could have been used in a playoff game in the right situation to put the Steelers over the edge.

Otherwise, I thought he called a good game.

look at it this way, it wasn't the first time we ran that play this year, teams have to spend some time preparing for it, and we could run a different wrinkle off of it (of course that is predicated on the fact that BA would have to be smart enough to actually make an adjustment on that play :bonk:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2011, 09:00 PM
They used that play once before during the season, it wasn't for a TD though if I remember correctly. Either way, it's not like you can really hide anything going into the playoffs. You do whatever you have to, to get to the postseason. By this time there is enough film on every team to know what they are doing and what they are capable of.

That play that ARE does is not one that run very often anyways, if we see used once in the playoffs we'll be lucky.

steeldoc
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm not inclined to want to get rid of BA. Lets see what the playoffs bring.

coach
01-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I am not a big fan of BA's same plan, but some teams/individuals find ways to stay married even when a divorce seems like it would be a good thing:

Pittsburgh and BA
Houston keeping Kubiak
Bungles keeping Lewis

Hopefully last week's success is repeated in the play offs and not just an anomoly.

DanRooney
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
They used that play once before during the season, it wasn't for a TD though if I remember correctly. Either way, it's not like you can really hide anything going into the playoffs. You do whatever you have to, to get to the postseason. By this time there is enough film on every team to know what they are doing and what they are capable of.

That play that ARE does is not one that run very often anyways, if we see used once in the playoffs we'll be lucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGjrcrOweko

coldrolled
01-05-2011, 09:53 AM
By this time there is enough film on every team to know what they are doing and what they are capable of..

Spot on Ktrain...

kinda like the Pats... Brady is like a gumball machine.. put the coin in.. turn the handle. gumball rolls out. The same offense over and over..... No one stops them... who cares if we would do a flea flicker every game... or ARE throwns the same play every game.. if it works it works. how many times does mendy run off right guard and tackle...?

As long as BA mixes up the plays and goes play action, slants to wallace, dump offs to mendy. oh.. 24 yards on that one... anyway... BA just needs to play ball and keep it mixed up so the defenses are waiting a bit and not bull rushing us.. we will be fine. i still hate BA.. if he was really good, he would be picked up by a few teams right now since he has no contract.. his job ends in three games.. :grin1:

Real Deal Steel
01-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Please, please, please...someone interview Arians for a head coaching job. And then give him the job! That will be one less team we have to worry about.

Danger DANJ
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I thought coaches and co-ordinators who are in the playoffs are not allowed to do interviews? Perhaps he will get interviews after the Super Bowl?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I thought coaches and co-ordinators who are in the playoffs are not allowed to do interviews? Perhaps he will get interviews after the Super Bowl?

Teams can ask permission to speak to coaches but it's a general rule that you don't speak to coaches who are in the playoffs until after their season is over. Quite honestly I don't really think our coaches will garner much interest in the teams that have open HC jobs. Those teams already have a bunch of top choices available to them, guys like Cowher, Gruden, Harbaugh from Stanford, to name a few.

coldrolled
01-07-2011, 03:02 PM
The Minnesota Vikings are considering erstwhile Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels as their next offensive coordinator.

A league source confirmed that McDaniels is expected to meet with the Vikings on Friday in regard to the position, currently held by Darrell Bevell.

The Vikings began what promises to be an extensive restructuring of their operation Wednesday, when the Star Tribune reported that quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, offensive line coach Pat Morris and assistant offensive line coach Jim Hueber were relieved of their duties by new coach Leslie Frazier.

Frazier had the interim label tag stripped from his title Monday when he was officially named the ninth head coach in Vikings history. He has vowed a thorough examination of the roster, the staff and the scheme on both sides of the ball following a dramatic 6-10 failure that came after an NFC runner-up finish the previous season.

McDaniels cut his teeth in the league on the offensive side of the ball. Prior to his two-year tenure in Denver, McDaniels drew acclaim as one of the game's brightest young minds as offensive coordinator for the Patriots. The 34-year-old helmed a New England offense that set the NFL mark for team scoring in 2007, breaking a record previously held by the 1998 Vikings.

The Broncos fired McDaniels in the middle of this season after he went 11-17 as coach.

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
If we win a SB, it's possible someone will give Arians a head coaching job interview. After all, a two time SB winning co-ordinator usually gets some sniffs from other teams. All the more reason for us to win, and get rid of Arians at the same time.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2011, 02:14 PM
If we win a SB, it's possible someone will give Arians a head coaching job interview. After all, a two time SB winning co-ordinator usually gets some sniffs from other teams. All the more reason for us to win, and get rid of Arians at the same time.

Not if they're remotely familiar with the Steelers offense..

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Not if they're remotely familiar with the Steelers offense..

shhhhhhhh. Be quiet and don't let it out. Let's pump up Arains. All the way to a interview with the Broncos. hahahaha

nuclearchihuahuas
01-09-2011, 04:05 PM
You're referring to Keith Butler. Agreed. He is the heir apparent to DLBeau. Wouldn't mind seeing Ray Horton (Secondary coach) being shown the door. Outside of Troy and Ike, secondary stinks and I'm not just talking about personnel.

Definitely! This has been a sorry year for the secondary. I would not be offended at all if he went elsewhere...Baltimore or Cinci maybe?

coldrolled
01-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Childress to Interview For Dolphins' Coordinator Job
Former Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress will interview for the Miami Dolphins' offensive coordinator job, Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports.

According to Hartman, Childress will interview in Miami on Saturday.

coldrolled
01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Falcons fan. Sounds like an Arians problem....

I wanted josh McDaniels. Mike Murlarkey does nothing but stall the falcons offense and keeps it vanilla. I can say I am jealous THAT THE RAMS GET MCDANIELS. I wish Murlarkey would've gotten hired so we would have to have gone at McDaniels. Sheesh...I will never be excited for the falcons offense until Murlarkey is gone.

coldrolled
01-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Childress is owed $3 million the next two seasons by Minnesota. If he accepts a job with another team, whatever he is paid will be subtracted from what the Vikings owe him.

"I really don't know what I want to do," Childress told the Star Tribune. "I may just sit out this year and maybe two years. But I've coached for 33 straight years and if the right position comes up, I'm going to give it strong consideration. I'm a football coach."

----- Tomlin is going to hire Childress... Brad is sitting and waiting for us to win the SB.

NHStlrfan
01-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Teams can ask permission to speak to coaches but it's a general rule that you don't speak to coaches who are in the playoffs until after their season is over. Quite honestly I don't really think our coaches will garner much interest in the teams that have open HC jobs. Those teams already have a bunch of top choices available to them, guys like Cowher, Gruden, Harbaugh from Stanford, to name a few.

You are correct Blitzburgh! I don't see any of the current Steelers Staff going anywhere this year. Get a win in SB XLV and those teams after the 2011 season looking for coaches will come calling. A number of the current staff will have been to 2 SBs and that just can't be ignored.

coldrolled
01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
tomlin knows what an OC needs to do.. heres what he says about the Jets last game against us..

Mark Sanchez, who compiled a poor, 75.3 passer rating this season, was sacked 27 times and threw 13 interceptions. So, some teams must have figured a way to get to him, even if the Steelers did not.

Tomlin credited the play-calling of Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer for what did not happen to Sanchez when he last visited Heinz Field.

"Rushing the quarterback is always an important element in the game, but it's also something we don't have a great deal of control of," Tomlin said "The play-caller's play selection has a certain level of control over the amount of opportunities that you have to get to him.

Clearly, the defense must force some errors Sunday, whether they are sacks or turnovers. But maybe, as Tomlin indicated, it will not be up to the Steelers, it will depend on the offensive coordinator of the New York Jets.

"I think it was coach Schottenheimer more than anything else,: Tomlin said of Sanchez's ability to avoid the pass rush Dec. 19.

"He moved the pocket, he booted him, he had some quick game, and then he took his shots or spots when he was throwing the ball vertically.

coldrolled
01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Browns Interested in Whipple

With Bill Musgrave accepting the Minnesota Vikings' job, the Cleveland Browns have widened their search for an offensive coordinator.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple has emerged as a candidate.

StevieRayVol
01-20-2011, 11:07 AM
I too wish BA would hit the trail...It KILLS me to see us get inside the five yard line so many times and have to come away with just a FG..."That's not Steeler Football...I know we have changed since the days of Cowher..but man, put a big FB in front of Mendenhall even when you are TRYING TO RUN THE CLOCK OUT...and pound the football...instead of having 5 wides and taking a chance on getting Ben killed or throwing the ball away or an interception...Need a "GROUND AND POUND" package...

coldrolled
01-21-2011, 08:14 AM
This is bad...

Bengals HC Marvin Lewis Dines With Childress
Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis had dinner on Thursday night with Brad Childress, WCPO.com reports.

Under normal circumstances, Lewis' dining with Childress, a former embattled head coach, wouldn't be a big deal. Both men were part of the USO/NFL Tour in the summer of 2010, and it's possible that this may be nothing more than two friends sharing a meal. Then again, earlier on Thursday, Lewis didn't dismiss the possibility of changes to his coaching staff.