PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pouncey

steelchamp204
01-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Do you guys think this guy will be ion the board for us in this upcoming draft, he has already announced he wants to be a steeler. So should we trade up for him or see if he wants a trade kinda like what eli did with the chargers. This kid is the real deal, he cleaned house on penn state tonight and at his weak position(center). I think if we are serious about rebuilding our o-line to save ben a couple years we have to do it with this draft. So do you guys think we should trade up for him? He is the best guard in college football if they put him back there.

airbrake 1
01-01-2011, 06:48 PM
He looks like another serious talent...I'm disgusted that Penn state lost...but that block he threw on that one touchdown reminded me of dermontti Dawson rarely do centers get outside or up field to block like he did...I wouldn't go reaching but if he is available I think the steelers would be foolish to not consider him....would be awesome to see the pouncey brothers anchoring the steelers o-line for the next decade and super bowl championships

Scorp
01-01-2011, 07:01 PM
:goodpost:...:goodpost:...:goodpost:

steelchamp204
01-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes I think this thread will get a lot of debate. But why NOT move up in the draft for a guy like this, HE WANTS TO BE A STEELER, so why not try and make him one. Our offensive line is horrible to be nice. They have been good though the past two weeks. But if Ben wants to get to 3-4 sbs in his career hes gonna have to have a better o-line. Hes gonna be nasty and good like Maurkice. Im not trying to sound like a Pouncey homer but they need to trade up to get this guy. The we will have a B+ offensive line instead of a C-

LarryNJ
01-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Today was the first time I've watched him, actually first time I heard of him. When is he projected to go?

cmerrifield
01-01-2011, 08:32 PM
I would love to pick up Mike, he would be a starting RG from day 1, and Essex is a FA this year, so I say draft Mike Pouncey. The only thing is that Maurkice has done so well this year, that Mike might be gone mid first round and its way too expensive to trade up more than a few picks in the first.

steelchamp204
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Today was the first time I've watched him, actually first time I heard of him. When is he projected to go?

Hes projexted to be first rnd pick, he will probably be a top 12 pick, we need this guy. He was the best guard in college football lastyear, then they moved him to c this year dude to maurkice going to pitt. So he can play eith or position. guy is just a beast.

Callax
01-01-2011, 09:50 PM
I say draft him

To have him and his brother playing C and RG would be a hoot!!!
He'll be the starting RG for the next 10 years!!

LarryNJ
01-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I doubt that they move up that far to get him, that's a lot of spots and OL are a premium for every team.

coach
01-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I am sorry I missed the game today. Perhaps I'll get to watch a replay. Poncey wasn't
playing well earlier in the year and some still have him behind Wisniewski (sp).

Picking late in first will give us a chance to pick up a quality guy without moving up. If Pouncey is there when we pick, he may be a good pick, but I think we will need to see where things shake out after the combine. I haven't seen Pouncey named as a top 10 or 12 pick. Maybe I have missed it. At one point I saw him projected in second.

Later this month we'll see which of the underclassmen announce for the draft. This will have a bearing, especially if Luck comes out.

andyg1984
01-01-2011, 11:29 PM
pouncey #2 will likely be overdrafted imo ..

speaking of guys that looked good today ... Marcus Cannon .. moved way better than i thought he would ... had a couple of slip-ups, but this dude is big and not stiff..

possible successful G convert? could probably actually play RT

coach
01-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Carimi was moving well in his game too.

K Train
01-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Hes projexted to be first rnd pick, he will probably be a top 12 pick, we need this guy. He was the best guard in college football lastyear, then they moved him to c this year dude to maurkice going to pitt. So he can play eith or position. guy is just a beast.

this is laughable....top 12 my ***, hes half the player his brother is....maybe a late first round pick but hes not the top guard by far, id actually have cannon over him easily

nuclearchihuahuas
01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Hell Yes we should draft him! The only other option is if there is a super star quality LT available when it is our turn.

coach
01-02-2011, 06:26 PM
I haven't seen enough games to make bold predictions, but the potential O line picks don't seem to be as plentiful as in the past few years. Solder, for example, has some bad tape out there if you look at the Cal game. They ran around him and also into/under him.
I'll watch the bowl games and prospect games and I think we will all have a better sense then. I think we will have a decent O line prospect in late first, but that is because there appears to be more talent at WR and DB this year. Plus, new coaches will likley look for new QBS.

Whatever the Steelers do, just don't over-draft anyone. We have too many needs.

Blazedby92
01-02-2011, 08:17 PM
He's a Guard but if we draft him knowing the Steelers they'll move him to tackle position,lol

luvdemstillers
01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
The Steelers are very big on team chemistry, and these two together would certainly help stabilize the line and motivate each other maybe . Not that they should need motivation. It will be very interesting to see what happens if he is there when it gets to within a few picks. I'll be ticked if someone in the division drafts him.

steelersbabex25
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Love him, want him, let's draft him in the second round and bring the 2 brothers together again. Although, we can skip the awkward sibling kiss of the lips this time boys.

andyg1984
01-02-2011, 10:35 PM
this is laughable....top 12 my ***, hes half the player his brother is....maybe a late first round pick but hes not the top guard by far, id actually have cannon over him easily

i really like cannon .. im pretty surprised ESPN has him outside the top 75??

have you watched franklin?

K Train
01-03-2011, 11:09 AM
cannon looks like a stud RT or G to me, i really like him....but at 32 i would pull the trigger on pouncey as a RG

tburg68
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
cannon looks like a stud RT or G to me, i really like him....but at 32 i would pull the trigger on pouncey as a RG

I say we go OL in rounds 1&2, then address Secondary and possibly NT.

What do you think?

coach
01-03-2011, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't mind if they double clutched on the O line if they get value, but I guess they have needs on D line and secondary as you mentioned. Depending on who is available in first, I would prefer to see them drop down and try to pick up a couple extra picks. No draft is going to address all your needs. If a quality DB was available in first, that could work too.

steelchamp204
01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I say we go OL in rounds 1&2, then address Secondary and possibly NT.

What do you think?

I agree with the ol for rnds 1 and 2. I think we should draft dl for 3 and 4. The after that focus on cb's. We are ok for another year with the dbs we have but we need ol and dl.

K Train
01-04-2011, 02:57 AM
if its not sherrod or pouncey i dont want oline in round one.

id rather take heyward/clayborn/bailey, or possibly harris/williams/jenkins but its tough to tell whos gonna slip at this point

JensK
01-04-2011, 05:15 AM
if its not sherrod or pouncey i dont want oline in round one.

id rather take heyward/clayborn/bailey, or possibly harris/williams/jenkins but its tough to tell whos gonna slip at this point

How about J.J Watt? He seems like a typical 5 technique steelers DE.

K Train
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
i dont really like watt or jordan in the first round

MDSteel15
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
If we don't take a CB in 1 or 2 I'd like it to be OT in 1, OT/DE in 2, DE/DT in 3 and 4, Safety help in 5 and whatever BPA in 6 and 7... We don't need any gaurds.

K Train
01-04-2011, 02:18 PM
id argue with starks, colon and flo all under contract next year we dont need more ****** tackles.

RG imo is a gaping hole....sure we have some guards to plug there, hell even our tackles are probably better guards but a stud RG would go a long way in fixing this abortion of a oline. the interior was a big problem, still a problem but a smaller one with pouncey dominating

team first round needs are

FS- no big ones in the first round this year, clark sucks and unless mundy or lewis can do it give me rahim moore or duenta williams
CB- Ike is older and the rest suck, definitely first round value
DE- Possible first rounders this year that would be better than hood from day one
RG/LT- unless its sherrod or pouncey oline isnt necessary in the first
NT- Probaly much more 2nd/3rd round value

K Train
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
both brandon harris and aaron williams declared....thats all kinds of awesome

andyg1984
01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
i heard williams is going to have an iffy 40 time .. i actually have never watched him play though so idk... any insight?

i think you mentioned before that jenkins might have issues in a system like ours .. do you think his smooth cover skills could compensate? he seemed to do a good job vs. solid competition

What do you think of Orlando Franklin? He can get a big push at times ..

coach
01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Dec. 31, 2010 - 2:40 PM ET
Texas CB Aaron Williams will forgo his senior season with the Longhorns to enter the 2011 NFL draft.

Williams had just four interceptions in his college career, but is regarded as a well-rounded corner with first-round potential. He is also experienced on special teams and at nickel back. A skilled tackler with ideal size at 6'1/195, Williams is expected to compete with Janoris Jenkins (Florida), Brandon Harris (Florida), and Brandon Burton (Utah) to be the third cornerback drafted behind Prince Amukamara (Nebraska) and Patrick Peterson (LSU).

Source: Dallas Morning News

I can't wait until the juniors all declare so we can get a complete look at who is available at all positions.

steelchamp204
01-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Yea we need a rg badly, I dont know bout you guys but im just sick of Ben getting beat up all the time evry year. Sometimes its his fault though. I think we should.

1r-ol
2r-de
3r-Cb

K Train
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
i heard williams is going to have an iffy 40 time .. i actually have never watched him play though so idk... any insight?

i think you mentioned before that jenkins might have issues in a system like ours .. do you think his smooth cover skills could compensate? he seemed to do a good job vs. solid competition

What do you think of Orlando Franklin? He can get a big push at times ..
williams is my 5h corner

peterson

prince
harris
jenkins
williams

jimmy smith
curtis brown

jenkins is not a great tackler, but hes not afraid to stick his nose in there. id love brandon harris though

JollyRob68
01-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Ol or Dl in the first 2 rds. Unless a Solid CB falls

pimplydan
01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I do believe the steelers should concentrate their attention to take care of Ben first on their list. Ben is going into his 8th season and he still has 5 or 6 good years left if he is healthy.

That means we have 5 or 6 more years as contenders for the Lombardi .

I think it would be amazing have the other Pouncey on the line with his brother .Look at all the upsides

1.pro bowler first year 2.stays healthy 3.anchor line for maybe the next 10 years

4.Looking at the preformance of his brother he"s a sure shot

K Train
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
as we now have a pick in the bottom 4 of the draft, hopefully the last one when its all said and done im more on board than ever with pouncey.

hes stronger than maurkice, just not as smooth or technical (and he should never go near a snappable ball again) but hed be a mauling RG and the idea of having both of them excited me for the future of the oline. the chemistry is unreal since they played all but one year of their lives on the same team (this year) and no way would they want to be out done by one another, they would push each other to be great and with a real RG next to him maurkice woud be an even better center. its something to be excited about even if it is overdrafting him (just a little imo)

tburg68
01-20-2011, 01:47 PM
as we now have a pick in the bottom 4 of the draft, hopefully the last one when its all said and done im more on board than ever with pouncey.

hes stronger than maurkice, just not as smooth or technical (and he should never go near a snappable ball again) but hed be a mauling RG and the idea of having both of them excited me for the future of the oline. the chemistry is unreal since they played all but one year of their lives on the same team (this year) and no way would they want to be out done by one another, they would push each other to be great and with a real RG next to him maurkice woud be an even better center. its something to be excited about even if it is overdrafting him (just a little imo)

Most mock drafts that I see have him gone way before the Steelers draft. I'm not sure he is worth the pick, but he appears to be getting help from his brothers rookie year.

K Train
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
i dont think thats the case....most teams know that hes not a center or as good as his brother. i think most would view him as a second round prospect still (which is pretty much what he was last year if he came out)

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
i dont think thats the case....most teams know that hes not a center or as good as his brother. i think most would view him as a second round prospect still (which is pretty much what he was last year if he came out)

I view Mike even as mid/late 2nd round pick but lets just say the Steelers pick 32 or 31 and Mike is there then I would have no problems with him at all being the pick even though it would be slight reach....I agree teaming him with Maurkice would be a very good thing and he would plug a huge hole at RG........

Blazedby92
01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I think the chemistry they would have toghther would make it less of a reach because they would make both better at the same time.

Dee Mca
01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Plus don't forget the whole freaky twin thing they got going on. Being able to know what the other is thinking. However all the mocks I have seen has him going 26th to the Ravens. Question thou if he wants to be a Steeler to play with his brother so bad. Do yall think that will weigh in on teams thinking of drafting him. Say the Ravens take him and he doesn't want to sign or only wants to sign for 1 season. His brother has to be telling him how great the Steeler organization is. Who wouldn't want to play for the Steeler's? Only wish now I wouldn't have blown out my knee.

andyg1984
01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
if we win the super bowl there will be way too many teams having pouncey fever in what is somewhat of a weak draft imo

K Train
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM
well with the tackle crop of guys looking like guys that wont make it in the top 15 theres alot of tackles that will be taken the second have of the first round and its a really deep corner class, WR class and an absolutely epic 34end class so those are 3 positions of not only need but valued higher than a guard like pouncey so either way i like our chances of coming away with one of the players i want this year again lol

Phdboy2020
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
We should get Pouncey if he is there when we pick. He is a great guard, but not as good as a center. We have Maurkice as center, so he would only have to worry about one of the guard positions. I agree with K Train about being able to draft other positions of need in the later rounds. There are some great D-lineman and secondary guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

JollyRob68
01-21-2011, 07:12 AM
If he makes it to #32 I will jump for joy.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't see the Steelers drafting a corner in the first round......I'm not saying I don't want a corner....But unless one of the top talents fell to them and I'm talking one of the true top talents....Not a 4th or 5th ranked corner here....The Steelers seem hell bent with drafting a corner in the later rounds who just fit there schemes and coach them up.......

McFadden-2nd round
Gay-5th round
Taylor-4th or 5th round?....sorry I forget off hand
Butler-5th round

Again I wouldn't be against a corner in the first its something I see the team doing as a trend no matter if it was Cowher or Tomlin as HC........

andyg1984
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
well with the tackle crop of guys looking like guys that wont make it in the top 15 theres alot of tackles that will be taken the second have of the first round and its a really deep corner class, WR class and an absolutely epic 34end class so those are 3 positions of not only need but valued higher than a guard like pouncey so either way i like our chances of coming away with one of the players i want this year again lol

i see your point, but as much as I will be ridiculed for this statement i just don't see many of those guys coming in and being an upgrade over Starks within 2-3 years with the exception of Camiri and Sherrod ..

with blackmon and floyd staying put and baldwin sort of exposed this year im not crazy about the WR's as I was but i agree it is still strong ..

i would be more game this year to move up and snag BPA even if it is not filling a need .. like heyward, clayborn, julio ..

im willing to give orlando franklin a shot at RG later on

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
BPA is the route I like to see the team take as well......One good thing about Jon Baldwin falling off this year is he maybe could fall to the third round.....I'm sorry that would be great value in the third.....I still think Baldwin is going to be a player in the NFL......

andyg1984
01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
yeah, eventually everyone has value .. there is always a break-even .. espec for a guy that was once thought to be one of the best ..

K Train
01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
i see your point, but as much as I will be ridiculed for this statement i just don't see many of those guys coming in and being an upgrade over Starks within 2-3 years with the exception of Camiri and Sherrod ..

with blackmon and floyd staying put and baldwin sort of exposed this year im not crazy about the WR's as I was but i agree it is still strong ..

i would be more game this year to move up and snag BPA even if it is not filling a need .. like heyward, clayborn, julio ..

im willing to give orlando franklin a shot at RG later on

i agree with you im not saying we should draft a tackle (i do like carimi and sherrod though) but with so many teams in need of a tackle and it being a weak class hopefully they reach a little and let a dline, a WR, or a CB fall to us....or pouncey of course since guard isnt valued that high

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2011, 03:56 PM
BPA and I don't care if its an OT, OG, WR, TE, DE, NT, ILB,OLB,DB.........Just pick a damn good player....

But if an OT like Sherrod fell it would be hard to pass him up....I think he fits our team best and I watched him closely in his bowl game...I was impressed.....I don't think he will be an elite LT but I think he could be a damn good one......Ktrain compared Sherrod to Marvel Smith and I think that is a solid comparison.......

NHStlrfan
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Our offensive line is horrible to be nice. They have been good though the past two weeks. But if Ben wants to get to 3-4 sbs in his career hes gonna have to have a better o-line. Hes gonna be nasty and good like Maurkice. Im not trying to sound like a Pouncey homer but they need to trade up to get this guy. The we will have a B+ offensive line instead of a C-

Hmmm... I have to disagree about the Steelers line being horrible. It's an extremely difficult request to ask a lineman to hold a block for more than 6 seconds. Ben's movement creates unique challenges for the O-line. Put a QB in there who's looking to get the ball out in 5 seconds or less or stay put in a 5 step drop and this line would be at least average if not more so.

Yes they do need help on the O-line I'm not intimating otherwise. However its just not the same blocking of Ben as it is for Tom or Peyton or for that matter any other NFL QB with the possible exception of Vick.

I trust the Steelers to do as they have for many years and draft whatever the most talented player available is. That's how they got Rashard. Last time they moved up in the draft they got Holmes. Great player but lots of trouble as well.

steelchamp204
01-21-2011, 05:19 PM
I think the chemistry they would have toghther would make it less of a reach because they would make both better at the same time.

Maybe our run game will be dominant like it was when we had faneca at the line, we have a good run game now, but then. It was dominant. I think he is a mid 2nd rnd pick but yea it woldnt be a huge reach, then after that start drafting for defense.

andyg1984
01-21-2011, 06:29 PM
i agree with you im not saying we should draft a tackle (i do like carimi and sherrod though) but with so many teams in need of a tackle and it being a weak class hopefully they reach a little and let a dline, a WR, or a CB fall to us....or pouncey of course since guard isnt valued that high

right on, for me guys that make sense for us to draft will all be gone .. the 3 DB's, heyward, clayborn, Julio, Pouncey, Sherrod, Camiri, Moore, Kerrigan

and without that solid ILB prospect to emerge yet i'd almost rather move up and snatch one of the above ..

what DB's do you like other than pp, pa and bh?

K Train
01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
i dont like moore, hes a pussy. hes not like earl thomas, hes way more like reggie nelson. he will play center field and maybe get picks but he wont stick his nose in anyway.

for a FS i like quinton carter

i would not draft kerrigan in the first....would love heyward, jordan, or bailey though. id be ok with watt too

i really like brandon harris, but i also think aaron williams and jimmy smith are good players that would be worth that pick as well

Ideally:

Mike Pouncey OG Florida
Kendrick Lewis NT Hampton
Quinton Carter FS Oklahoma
Noel Devine RB WVU (could also put in a OT like marcus gilbert but devine would make for a sick nasty 3 headed monster)
Chykie Brown CB Texas
DeAndre Brown WR Southern Miss
Josh Bynes MLB Auburn

andyg1984
01-21-2011, 09:53 PM
yeah, moore makes "business decisions" vs. the run and other times he is just not that stout, but i think he is better than nelson..i love those centerfielders.. kerrigan is a guy i like and to me for some reason looks like a low-risk convert to an OLB if there is such a thing ..

i love deandre brown but think he will be gone earlier than six.. people should start to discount his injury history once they realize he is a grown *** man of a WR ..

Ideally for me we trade up or give away the #1 pick for a 1st next year and change this year with the right team ..

Guys I can see coming away with trading back :

2-Greg Little, Orlando Franklin
3-Robert Sands (boy is this one going to be a controversial evaluation but he covers a ton of field)

i actually think little could go in the 1st .. i think he is the #3 WR available this year and in the top 25 BPA

K Train
01-22-2011, 12:15 AM
i like little, hes alot like boldin but not playing this year hurts him and hes the 5th or 6th wr this year behin julio, green, torrey smith, maybe jon baldwin and hankerson....we'll see how it turns out and how he works out....im not even sure really cause i dont like baldwin

i dont like sands at all, we need a FS sands is a box SS in the mold of adrian wilson

i do not like kerrigan as an olb....not sure where hes gonna fit in the pros, he looks like a patriot to me

btw im pretty drunk lol

i dont know about moore though....such a pussy, and i loved thomas he was a serious mancrush in that mold of a FS but he can ball, not sure moore is what we need, hes a nickel back at best right now

JollyRob68
01-22-2011, 12:40 AM
[QUOTE=andyg1984;403248]

2-Greg Little, Orlando Franklin
3-Robert Sands (boy is this one going to be a controversial evaluation but he covers a ton of field)

I like Sands & Little. I like Christian Ballard. We also have a good chance to get Casey Hampton's replacement in the 3rd 0r 4th round.

I'd like to pick up Jamie Harper in the later rounds to replace Mewelde Moore.
We can pickup a possession receiver in rd 4 or 5. But if Little was there in round 3 i'd take him. We need Oline/Dline or BPA in 1, Oline/Dline, DB in 2, Dline,Wr,DB in 3rd.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2011, 02:11 AM
i dont like moore, hes a pussy. hes not like earl thomas, hes way more like reggie nelson. he will play center field and maybe get picks but he wont stick his nose in anyway.

for a FS i like quinton carter

i would not draft kerrigan in the first....would love heyward, jordan, or bailey though. id be ok with watt too

i really like brandon harris, but i also think aaron williams and jimmy smith are good players that would be worth that pick as well

Ideally:

Mike Pouncey OG Florida
Kendrick Lewis NT Hampton
Quinton Carter FS Oklahoma
Noel Devine RB WVU (could also put in a OT like marcus gilbert but devine would make for a sick nasty 3 headed monster)
Chykie Brown CB Texas
DeAndre Brown WR Southern Miss
Josh Bynes MLB Auburn

DeAndre Brown....Hell Yea....:lol: I posted a few months back about DeAndre Brown....I like him a ton especially on the 2nd day of the draft.......

I would prefer Sherrod if he falls in the first but I'll be happy with the other Pouncey......

I would like Sherrod and Cannon in the first two rounds....Might be OL over load but a OL with Maurkice Pouncey, Derek Sherrod, and Marcus Cannon would give the Steelers a monster OL for years to come......I like Kendrick Lewis we both talked last year about him........

If Sherrod isn't there I think an OT has to be drafted at some point.....With both Starks and Colon coming off injury I think it would wise to draft an OT at some point in the draft......

andyg1984
01-22-2011, 09:32 PM
i like little, hes alot like boldin but not playing this year hurts him and hes the 5th or 6th wr this year behin julio, green, torrey smith, maybe jon baldwin and hankerson....we'll see how it turns out and how he works out....im not even sure really cause i dont like baldwin

i dont like sands at all, we need a FS sands is a box SS in the mold of adrian wilson

i do not like kerrigan as an olb....not sure where hes gonna fit in the pros, he looks like a patriot to me

btw im pretty drunk lol

i dont know about moore though....such a pussy, and i loved thomas he was a serious mancrush in that mold of a FS but he can ball, not sure moore is what we need, hes a nickel back at best right now

tbh the moore and kerrigan picks are reasons i would want to trade back

i don't doubt those guys get drafted ahead of Little, but I think within 2-3 years his upside will catch-up with him and he therefore surpasses all but AJG and JJ .. you have to love those highlights of him running the ball like it was a full time gig ..

i don't like sands so much as a FS as I do a luxury back-up to troy .. I really do think tho that he is athletic enough to play the middle and he is not stiff at all and could rival clark for playing time..

i would not really enjoy the kerrigan pick, but can picture it happening .. but i do think he can play OLB with time .. but yep, kerrigan to the pats is going to be as popular as gresham to the bungals last year ..

don't get me wrong, i would never mention moore in the same sentence as ET but you gotta think he is more than a NB?? i definitely agree he is soft, but i think he can cover the field ..

Seven
01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I think Mike will end up a Steeler one way or another, he'd do well to play next to his brother and they could definitely open some holes for Mendenhall to run through. Most drafts have him as a 28-35 pick making him a late first round or early second rounder. From what I've seen he's rated as the #1 G in the draft and the 35th overall. I say if he's there at 32 then take him, trading up to get him is a terrible idea as we'd likely have to sacrifice some other picks along the way. We all know the Steelers, they always go BPA so I have full faith they'll pick a guy that can contribute, however I do think our top priority should be beefing up that O-line, so hopefully we can snag Pouncey or Cannon. I like Solder as well but I don't expect him to be there when we pick.

Picking a DB couldn't hurt either :P

steelchamp204
01-30-2011, 05:14 PM
I have heard alot about the ravens picking up Pouncey, wouldnt that be some ****.

Seven
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
I have heard alot about the ravens picking up Pouncey, wouldnt that be some ****.

I wouldn't waste a first rounder on a G/O-line if I was Ozzie, they have a much greater need on the defensive side IMO, they should ideally go for a CB or WR in the first round. They really need a quick young WR like Wallace or Sanders.

Callax
01-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I say draft him

To have him and his brother playing C and RG would be a hoot!!!
He'll be the starting RG for the next 10 years!!

I think he's a top 15 to 20 pick. For Pitt to move up to get him, Pitt will surrender a 3rd and maybe a 5th rd to get him.....The question is, is he that much of a talent to give up that much??? I would love to have twins on that OL who could switch up if one got hurt ( if they are that adaptable)
Is he worth that sacrifice?? Pitt adapts if the player they want is gone and a few other G are available, like the son of a pretty darn good guard, Steve Wisnewski out of PSU..

Rampage
01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
I would love to see the Pouncey brothers reunited, but I would not be surprised to see another team grab him earlier in the draft due not only to his abilities, but his brother's.

I have to say this: If the Steelers cannot snag him, I hope that some bottom of the barrel team does. That would give the Steelers a much greater opportunity to snag him in free agency in the future.

JollyRob68
02-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I think he's a top 15 to 20 pick. For Pitt to move up to get him, Pitt will surrender a 3rd and maybe a 5th rd to get him.....The question is, is he that much of a talent to give up that much??? I would love to have twins on that OL who could switch up if one got hurt ( if they are that adaptable)
Is he worth that sacrifice?? Pitt adapts if the player they want is gone and a few other G are available, like the son of a pretty darn good guard, Steve Wisnewski out of PSU..

I wouldn't a 3rd & 5th for him. We do very well in the 3rd round and we need help all over Both lines and DB's.

K Train
02-01-2011, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't a 3rd & 5th for him. We do very well in the 3rd round and we need help all over Both lines and DB's.

lmao....mike wallace and emmanuel sanders do not mean we do well in the 3rd round. urbik, lewis, bruce davis, willie reid and trai essex are all either failures or borderlining on bum status

imo theres no way hes a top 15 pick...hes really not even close to being as good as maurkice and the scouts know that. that being said i think he would bring serious value to the team so picking him at the end of the first even if its a 10 slot reach im ok with it

coldrolled
02-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Nah.... They need a QB :lol:

JollyRob68
02-02-2011, 02:11 AM
lmao....mike wallace and emmanuel sanders do not mean we do well in the 3rd round. urbik, lewis, bruce davis, willie reid and trai essex are all either failures or borderlining on bum status

imo theres no way hes a top 15 pick...hes really not even close to being as good as maurkice and the scouts know that. that being said i think he would bring serious value to the team so picking him at the end of the first even if its a 10 slot reach im ok with it

I see your point. However Willie reid was a good prospect then he hurt his foot, Trai essex is one of our swing lineman, Lewis is in the dog house before that they liked him alot,Urbik didnt get a chance( I didn't like the pick) but started in Buffalo.. OK I see your point.lol Mike Pouncey will get over drafted based on the success of Maurkice. If he's there at the end of rd 1 you take him. If not Take BPA. The Steelers said they normally have 3 players they like when its time to pick. I dont think any top Tackles would be left so taking a CB/DE/DT is what they'll probably do.
I can see them taking Phil taylor from Baylor, Muhaamed Wilkerson from temple or Corey Luiget from Illinois if he slipped. Not sure what CB will still be around.

K Train
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I see your point. However Willie reid was a good prospect then he hurt his foot, Trai essex is one of our swing lineman, Lewis is in the dog house before that they liked him alot,Urbik didnt get a chance( I didn't like the pick) but started in Buffalo.. OK I see your point.lol Mike Pouncey will get over drafted based on the success of Maurkice. If he's there at the end of rd 1 you take him. If not Take BPA. The Steelers said they normally have 3 players they like when its time to pick. I dont think any top Tackles would be left so taking a CB/DE/DT is what they'll probably do.
I can see them taking Phil taylor from Baylor, Muhaamed Wilkerson from temple or Corey Luiget from Illinois if he slipped. Not sure what CB will still be around.

i think the "mike will get over drafted because of maurkice" is so overrated its damn near cliche at this point. Thats a fallacy, scouts know hes a guard and not the type of guard you put in a class with steve hutchinson, alan faneca, mike iupati, shawne andrews, branden albert in....hes the type of guard you put guys like justin blalock, ben grubbs, and marshall yanda in. Great players, great prospects, but undervalued in the first round.

we need him as a RG bad....i think passing on him if hes there would be regrettable, just for chemistry sake hes a perfect fit. and if you think hes gonna wanna be out shined by his slightly more talented brother who played a more premier position thats crazy...those two could push each other into elite territory.

wilkerson and luigit are not good fits....phil taylor however would be delicious as our NT of the future. having him on casey on the field at the same time would be craziness for a year or 2.

heres guys i want at 32 (<--see what i did there?)

Oline- Pouncey, Carimi and thats it....sherrod i wouldnt throw a fit, but id lose my **** if we took solder or castonzo

CB....Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, jimmy Smith

DE theres a ton- Heyward, Clayborn, Jordan, Watt, and maybe bailey but i think bailey is falling a bit

DT- Phil Taylor

So many ways they can go in the first....things will start to come together in a few weeks though on whos gonna fall and whos gonna rise. right now my pick is pouncey, even if its 10 spots earlier than he should go

JollyRob68
02-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I'd love Pouncey to line up next to his brother. I agree with your picks in the first. As far as Luigit & Wilkerson I see a DE/DT slipping to the end of the draft the way Ziggy did and if they're rated higher the Steelers might take then.
Phil TAylor is a beast!