PDA

View Full Version : Steelers growing stronger at right time

Scorp
12-29-2010, 01:15 PM
The Steelers will get back starting DE Aaron Smith for the playoffs, so the team figures to be close to full strength when it matters most. And it certainly looks like they have their offense going in the right direction.

The Steelers will get back starting DE Aaron Smith for the playoffs, so the team figures to be close to full strength when it matters most. And it certainly looks like they have their offense going in the right direction.

http://http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

Scorp
12-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Yahoo! Sports - 12 hours, 49 minutes ago

Pittsburgh has a clear path to the No. 2 seed vs. a clear path to the No. 6 seed in the AFC playoffs, and all the luxuries that go with the former and the many hurdles that go with the latter.

Beat the Browns on Sunday, and the Steelers would have a bye the weekend of Jan. 8-9. They'd open the playoffs at home Jan. 15 or Jan. 16, with one win putting them into the AFC Championship Game.

Lose to the Browns (provided Baltimore beats Cincinnati), and the Steelers would open the playoffs on the road Jan. 8 or Jan. 9, needing a victory to advance to a second-round game at New England, and needing a victory there to get to the AFC Championship Game on the road.

"We understand what's at stake here," coach Mike Tomlin said. "What better way to have to go about winning the division than to go on the road and have to do it in a rival's home?"

The Steelers actually have a better record on the road (5-2) than they do at Heinz Field (5-3).

"We're playing it just like a playoff game," linebacker James Farrior said. "We know what we're fighting for, and we definitely don't want to give that up, so we've just got to go out and take care of business."

The Steelers had won eight straight in Cleveland before the Browns upset them 13-6 last December, eliminating Pittsburgh from playoff contention. Pittsburgh has won 13 of the past 14 against the Browns and 19 of the past 21 against them, including a postseason victory.

"Everybody knows what's on the line here, so we shouldn't have any surprises," receiver Mike Wallace said. "Anybody not ready ... if you were here last year, you know exactly what happened."

coldrolled
12-29-2010, 05:00 PM
"Everybody knows what's on the line here, so we shouldn't have any surprises," receiver Mike Wallace said. "Anybody not ready ... if you were here last year, you know exactly what happened."

13-6 in cleveland... our FO didnt get what happen... BA is still here..

LatrobePA
12-29-2010, 05:05 PM
13-6 in cleveland... our FO didnt get what happen... BA is still here..

LOL, I love it!

Goodfrom55
12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
It's a prolific offense between the 15's, but is a dead fish from the 15 to the G. Looking back at the Carolina game, Steelers had 1st and 10 from around the 12 yard line, and on 1st and 2nd downs, Ben tried to force throws into the endzone, both resulting in incompletions. on 3rd down, he completes a 7 yard pass to Sanders at the 5 yard line. Why not do that on 1st down? All this talk about not trying to get it in one lump sum, but then it happens anyway.

I always said football is a series of 10 yard games within a game. Move the ball 10 yards, you keep the ball and get 4 more tries to do it again. Kepp doing it, you score, and eventually, you win.

Hard to find fault in a 27-3 victory, but attention must be paid to the smallest detail for this team to improve and move on in the playoffs. Getting healthy is good, but the Steelers must also get smarter.

Troyisabeast_43
12-29-2010, 08:08 PM
If the Steelers lose this game in Cleveland on Sunday as I pointed out in another thread that I started the other day then I predict no matter where they go next week in the WC round whether it's KC or Indy they most likely would be one and done and at that point heads should most definitely roll. The mindset of the Steelers going into the playoffs should they lose to the Browns would be so horrific that I dont believe they would be able to recover from it what so ever. To lose this game in Cleveland on Sunday with this much at stake for this Steelers team dropping from a 2 seed and a week off and a home playoff game as opposed to being the 6th seed and being on the road for the entire playoffs would be a disaster and a catastrophe of epic epic proportions...

Goodfrom55
12-29-2010, 08:13 PM
then it's largely understood that the playoffs begin Sunday in Cleveland. Just read that Hillis is all banged up (knee, ribs), Cribbs is not 100%. Anyone hear what the weather is supposed to be like at the mistake by the lake?

LatrobePA
12-29-2010, 09:19 PM
People are picking this game to be the upset of the year!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Normally this would be a huge trap game for us, but considering what is at stake the Steelers have NO business losing this game whatsoever. We sucked last year, losing way too many games to inferior competition. This year we've beaten everyone we're supposed to beat and been in every game that we didn't win, in the 4th quarter. They lose this one and they can kiss all that hard work goodbye.

No upsets allowed, a Steeler victory or bust!

Our guys need that bye week to get healthy and we need to play at Heinz field in the cold.

pimplydan
12-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Harrison I like what you are saying about the 10 yards.If you look at the way the steeler offense moved the ball in absence of Ben.Dixon and Batch won 3 out of 4 games.The offense moved the ball with simple short passes,low risk plays.Ben tries the deep stuff alot.What happens sometimes he gets sacked and sometimes the line takes penalties because Ben is buying time.

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Harrison I like what you are saying about the 10 yards.If you look at the way the steeler offense moved the ball in absence of Ben.Dixon and Batch won 3 out of 4 games.The offense moved the ball with simple short passes,low risk plays.Ben tries the deep stuff alot.What happens sometimes he gets sacked and sometimes the line takes penalties because Ben is buying time.

Good point

Scorp
12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
If the Steelers lose this game in Cleveland on Sunday as I pointed out in another thread that I started the other day then I predict no matter where they go next week in the WC round whether it's KC or Indy they most likely would be one and done and at that point heads should most definitely roll. The mindset of the Steelers going into the playoffs should they lose to the Browns would be so horrific that I dont believe they would be able to recover from it what so ever.

Steelers have the colts number in the playoffs. 1975 afc divisional Steelers D Colts 28-10, 1976 afc divisional Steelers D Colts 40-14, 1995 afc championship Steelers D Colts 20-16, 1996 afc wild card Steelers D Colts 42-14, and finally 2005 afc divisional Steelers D Colts 21-18.

So have no fear my SA Brethren. Colts have been struggling to win and Steelers have really not. One thing for sure is, this is not the Colts year. Steelers are not done winning championships and they'll show us all how bad they want it.

Steelers have not done too bad in the playoffs on the road. In fact i think they have done better on the road than at home. But in recent years i think it's the other way around.

Troyisabeast_43
12-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Steelers have the colts number in the playoffs. 1975 afc divisional Steelers D Colts 28-10, 1976 afc divisional Steelers D Colts 40-14, 1995 afc championship Steelers D Colts 20-16, 1996 afc wild card Steelers D Colts 42-14, and finally 2005 afc divisional Steelers D Colts 21-18.

So have no fear my SA Brethren. Colts have been struggling to win and Steelers have really not. One thing for sure is, this is not the Colts year. Steelers are not done winning championships and they'll show us all how bad they want it.

Steelers have not done too bad in the playoffs on the road. In fact i think they have done better on the road than at home. But in recent years i think it's the other way around.

If they lose that game in Cleveland on Sunday there buddy they arent going anywhere in the playoffs and that's the truth. This team this year isnt pulling a 2005 where they win 3 games in a row on the road as the 6 seed and make it to the Super Bowl and win it sorry it isnt happening. If this Steelers team doesnt get this bye week and win this game Sunday their chances of advancing in the playoffs and making a strong postseason run go right down the toilet period...

Scorp
12-30-2010, 01:05 AM
If they lose that game in Cleveland on Sunday there buddy they arent going anywhere in the playoffs and that's the truth. This team this year isnt pulling a 2005 where they win 3 games in a row on the road as the 6 seed and make it to the Super Bowl and win it sorry it isnt happening. If this Steelers team doesnt get this bye week and win this game Sunday their chances of advancing in the playoffs and making a strong postseason run go right down the toilet period...

One word. FAITH! :cope:

coldrolled
12-30-2010, 10:50 AM

i saw that on the NFL station too. I really think the Bengals have a better shot at it than the browns this week. of course only if 85 is out again. palmer really smoked batman and robin last week.

LatrobePA
12-30-2010, 11:02 AM
i saw that on the NFL station too. I really think the Bengals have a better shot at it than the browns this week. of course only if 85 is out again. palmer really smoked batman and robin last week.

Cinci is a much better team w/out those two idiots! I agree, I think they will beat the Rats.

I can't see anyway in hell we lose this one, but you just never know...

Clevelandsux
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes will be nice to get all our guys back healthy. Especially Troy and Aaron Smith. They were playing lights out early in the season. Just wish our offense would be more consistant.

coldrolled
12-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Yes will be nice to get all our guys back healthy. Especially Troy and Aaron Smith. They were playing lights out early in the season. Just wish our offense would be more consistant.

The fans at heinz field need to scream "No Huddle" whenever the offense is on the field..

Large chants... or in combo.. No Huddle, No Bruce... the media will pick that one up quick. :grin1:

LatrobePA
12-30-2010, 12:23 PM
The fans at heinz field need to scream "No Huddle" whenever the offense is on the field..

Large chants... or in combo.. No Huddle, No Bruce... the media will pick that one up quick. :grin1:

Or yell "bruce you suck"

Clevelandsux
12-30-2010, 12:53 PM
I agree, we need to use the no-huddle more often. And I'm all for no Bruce!

LatrobePA
12-30-2010, 01:11 PM
I agree, we need to use the no-huddle more often. And I'm all for no Bruce!

Or the "no bruce huddle"...Damn I'm just full of them! lol

DanRooney
12-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Dixon didn't move the ball at all. Neither did Batch outside the Tampa game, and when he did, I recall two 40+ yard bombs to Wallace.

Clevelandsux
12-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Ya i know. Different qbs, same result. Crappy red zone offense. It's just so offensive!

NT93
12-31-2010, 05:45 AM

http://http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

Smith will be nice to have back, but really isn't a concern. Look how the defense is playing, are they the concern? No, it's the offense that is. Everyone keeps talking about Troy and Aaron, but what about this offense?

--- Added 12/31/2010 at 03:45 AM ---

Or the "no bruce huddle"...Damn I'm just full of them! lol

I like this, and it seems to work for some reason. Any reason why?

pimplydan
12-31-2010, 06:05 AM
yes the offence is the concern
That is because of the receiving crop, Ward is getting covered, and not getting younger, Wallace is starting to get open anywhere on the field not just downtown, Sanders is starting to emerge. It is what it is, but they have been taking giant steps lately. Maybe just enough to take the team a long way.

Scorp
12-31-2010, 12:32 PM
All i know is they better be ready to leave it all on the field if they want that extra week of rest.

popstaala
12-31-2010, 05:39 PM
quick slants to mike wallace works all the time...

NT93
12-31-2010, 06:54 PM
yes the offence is the concern
That is because of the receiving crop, Ward is getting covered, and not getting younger, Wallace is starting to get open anywhere on the field not just downtown, Sanders is starting to emerge. It is what it is, but they have been taking giant steps lately. Maybe just enough to take the team a long way.

And the qb? Is he part of the equation? You seemed to forget him.

steelersbabex25
01-01-2011, 10:44 AM
quick slants to mike wallace works all the time...

We don't know that cause they've only done it 3 times this year :cursin: