PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu status-Troy is active for week 17

Scorp
12-28-2010, 05:33 PM
By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
2 hours, 1 minute ago

PITTSBURGH (AP)—The Pittsburgh Steelers probably won’t know until Friday whether safety Troy Polamalu(notes) can play in Sunday’s final regular-season game at Cleveland.

Polamalu hasn’t played or practiced for two weeks because of an injured right Achilles’ tendon. Coach Mike Tomlin said he won’t practice Wednesday or Thursday.

“Troy is improving,” Tomlin said Tuesday. “We’re going to look at him and watch him move. It’s not out of the realm of possibility he could play. If he’s healthy, he will.”

If Polamalu can’t go Friday, he won’t play against the Browns (5-10), who upset the Steelers 13-6 in Cleveland last season.

While the Steelers aren’t ruling out Polamalu, linebacker James Farrior(notes) said Monday it didn’t look good for Polamalu being ready by this weekend—despite what will be a 10-day break since Pittsburgh beat Carolina 27-3 on Thursday.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s(notes) broken nose isn’t considered a problem, even though it was bloodied by a hit in the Carolina game.

Tomlin also said running back Mewelde Moore(notes) is questionable because of a sprained right knee. Linebackers LaMarr Woodley(notes) and Jason Worilds(notes) have knee swelling, and cornerback Bryant McFadden(notes) has a hip injury.

While last season’s loss in Cleveland to a one-win Browns team eventually prevented the Steelers from returning to the playoffs, they didn’t know it at the time. There will be no such uncertainty this year.

While the Steelers (11-4) have secured a playoff spot, they will win the AFC North, earn a first-round bye and ensure themselves of at least one home playoff game if they beat the Browns (5-10). Should they lose in Cleveland and Baltimore (10-5) beats Cincinnati (3-12), the Ravens would win the division and the Steelers would be forced to go on the road next week for a wild-card game.

If both the Steelers and Ravens lose, Pittsburgh would win the division based on a better divisional record.

Tomlin said last season’s loss won’t necessarily prove motivational when the Steelers resume practicing Wednesday. Pittsburgh has won 13 of its last 14 against Cleveland.

“What’s at stake right now and right here is enough motivation,” he said. “We’re trying to secure the AFC North title. In order to do that, we have to go into an AFC North city and do the job—and I’m sure they’re not for us doing it. So it’s going to make it interesting and exciting.”

Woodley said the Steelers haven’t forgotten last season’s loss in Cleveland, when Roethlisberger was sacked eight times for 60 yards in losses. That loss was the Steelers’ fifth in a row, but they bounced back to win their final three and have won 14 of 18 since.

“We have to take care of Cleveland,” Woodley said. “Last year, when we played Cleveland down there, they took care of business on us. We have to make sure that doesn’t happen this year.”

Goodfrom55
12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
I think he should dress (if he practices on Friday), but shouldn't play unless absolutely necessary.

steelersbabex25
12-28-2010, 06:41 PM
He better not be playing. If the Steelers can't beat the Clevelish Brownies without Polamalu..

Zachintosh66
12-28-2010, 06:41 PM
sit him...

Goodfrom55
12-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Essentially, the playoffs for the Steelers begin on Sunday in Cleveland. They sure will have an easier time of things if they win. But you can be sure Cleveland is not about to lie down.

steelchamp204
12-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Yea, we dont need to play him, we NEED him come playoff time, the guy needs a rest no matter the outcome of this game.

lloydfan4life
12-28-2010, 09:15 PM
:iagree: rest him while the rest of the team pounds the Stains into the turf. That will give him another 2 weeks to heal up.

pimplydan
12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
I say if he can play,play.We need a win over the Browns.Then he will have 2 weeks to rest anyway,make him play just 2 or 3 quarters if we have a sizable lead.

steelersbabex25
12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I say if he can play,play.We need a win over the Browns.Then he will have 2 weeks to rest anyway,make him play just 2 or 3 quarters if we have a sizable lead.

Please. It's Colt McCoy back there, not Tom Brady. Even Ike "Stone Hands" Taylor should be able to pick one off against Colt McCoy.

Scorp
12-29-2010, 12:40 PM
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted 16 hours ago

aaSafety Troy Polamalu missed the last two games with an ankle injury, but there is a chance he could be back on the field this week when the Steelers travel to Cleveland to take on the Browns.

“Troy is improving,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “We are going to look at him, watch him move a little bit here this week. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that he can play this weekend. And if he is healthy, he will.”

Polamalu isn’t expected to practice on Wednesday or Thursday, but Tomlin is hoping he will return to practice on Friday and be evaluated then.

Running back Mewelde Moore is considered questionable at this point with a knee sprain. If he can’t play, rookie Jonathan Dwyer would be active on Sunday, but it’s too soon to rule Moore out.

Defensive end Aaron Smith isn’t expected to play against the Browns, but is making progress and there is still hope he could return for the playoffs.

“Aaron Smith is a week better. We scanned him. He is healing nicely,” said Tomlin. “Again he is pushing and lifting weights and is inching closer to practice participation and hopefully game participation here at some point.”

Tomlin also provided the following injury update: “Bryant McFadden has a hip pointer. It may limit him at the early part of the week. LaMarr Woodley has some swelling on his left knee, same thing there. Jason Worilds was injured in the game; he has some swelling on his knee. It may limit him during the early portions of the week. And particularly with a young guy who is limited from a practice standpoint that would put his participation in question. We will see where the week takes us in regards to him.”

Things have heated up in recent years in the rivalry between the Steelers and Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North, but that doesn’t mean it’s cooled off between the Steelers and Browns.

The two teams are separated by less than 150 miles and a road game means a team taking a bus trip, and not flying to the city.

“Anytime in the National Football League that you are getting on a bus to go play a game, man that is a pretty heated rivalry,” said Tomlin. “Not many bus trips in the National Football League. Just from a proximity standpoint, it’s unique. The history is what it is. Of course, two storied franchises, the fans. I think the close proximity and the history makes it what it is.

“I like to have a rivalry with every team we play. That’s just the nature of it. We have a rivalry versus the Ravens, versus the Bengals and the Browns, as far as I am concerned. That is just the nature of AFC North football. Their perceptions of the rivalry, I can’t control.”

jpele
12-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin offered some good news Wednesday on the rehabilitation of injured defensive end Aaron Smith.

Smith
The 12-year veteran, who had triceps surgery in October, has missed the past two months and is trying to make it back in time for the playoffs.

"He had a big workout this morning," Tomlin said on a conference call with the Cleveland media. "We fitted him for a brace, and that's arrived. And as soon as he gets medical clearance he's going to start the practice process, then, of course, ultimately to play.

"But his rehabilitation has been positive. It hasn't been any steps backwards. In fact, we've been pretty enthused and encouraged about his development."

No setbacks is good news for the Steelers. Smith is one of the NFL's most underrated players and a stalwart in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense. Pittsburgh held a roster spot open all year for Smith in hopes that he could return in time to help with the team's postseason run.

The Steelers have a chance to clinch the AFC North division and a first-round bye Sunday with a victory over the Cleveland Browns. A win would give the Steelers two weeks to get key players such as Smith and Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles) healthy.

Link (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/22436/updating-aaron-smiths-progress)

Looks like things are starting to fall in place.

SteelJunkie
12-30-2010, 03:19 PM
hope we get the big man back for playoffs, would be sweet.

TampaSteelGirl
12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
That would be AWESOME!!!

steelersbabex25
12-30-2010, 03:42 PM
He'll definitely be back by the POs.

Scorp
12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 30, 2010

• Outside linebacker James Harrison left the Steelers facility early Wednesday afternoon because of an illness and did not practice. Harrison missed two days of practice before the Steelers' Dec. 19 game against the New York Jets but played in the contest. As expected, strong safety Troy Polamalu (lower leg) did not practice yesterday. Also missing practice because of injuries were running back Mewelde Moore (knee) and outside linebacker Jason Worilds (knee). Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (knee) was a limited participant in practice.

• Polamalu, who has missed the last two games, is scheduled to practice Friday. While it is unlikely that he will play Sunday in Cleveland, Browns coach Eric Mangini said his team is preparing as if Polamalu will suit up for the 1 p.m. game. ″He makes a pretty big difference when he's in there,″ Mangini said. ″If he's there, he's hard to deal with in so many different ways, whether it's the running game, blitzing, the disguise, the threat he is in being able to create turnovers.

http://http://m.triblive.com/triblive/db_33997/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=XSuqFhFU&detailindex=3&pn=0&ps=5

coldrolled
12-31-2010, 12:11 PM
......... Running back Mewelde Moore is considered questionable at this point with a knee sprain. If he can’t play, rookie Jonathan Dwyer would be active on Sunday, but it’s too soon to rule Moore out..........

Wow, Dwyers might play.. browns give up 130 yards on the ground per game.

Maybe we will see him run a few... Hopefully mendy, redman, maybe dwyers get 200+ yards sunday...

Scorp
12-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Something smells questionable in Pittsbugh.

LatrobePA
12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
......... Running back Mewelde Moore is considered questionable at this point with a knee sprain. If he can’t play, rookie Jonathan Dwyer would be active on Sunday, but it’s too soon to rule Moore out..........

Maybe we will see him run a few... Hopefully mendy, redman, maybe dwyers get 200+ yards sunday...

I'm betting at least 40 PA's....

coldrolled
12-31-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm betting at least 40 PA's....

the wind will be like 20mph they say.. so yeah you are probably right.. maybe 45+ PA's

BA planning...

they will expect me to run:thinking: so lets pass... :thinking: how did this plan work out for me last year:thinking: hmm. we scored 6 points and we only lost by 7... lets go with that game plan again.. they'll never expect it..:yellowthumb:

Scorp
12-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Still trying to find any news on Troy if he's in or out.

UKSTEELER
12-31-2010, 02:04 PM

Dwyer might well dress, . . . but touch the ball ? . . . . very doubtful, he's got to rot the bench first!

LatrobePA
12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Still trying to find any news on Troy if he's in or out.

He wont play...Bank on it!

Scorp
12-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu practiced Friday for the first time in three weeks, but it remains unclear if the All-Pro will return for Sunday's regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns.

The Steelers' official Twitter feed reported Friday that Polamalu is listed as questionable for Week 17 and might be a game-time decision.

Polamalu missed the last two games with a right Achilles' tendon injury. The team's medical staff wants to see how Polamalu responds to Friday's practice before deciding whether or not he can play Sunday.

It's also possible that the Steelers will decide to rest Polamalu some more since they already have clinched a playoff berth.

Polamalu was selected this week by his teammates as the Steelers' most valuable player, the first time in his career he was chosen. He also was picked for his sixth Pro Bowl.

Running back Mewelde Moore (knee) and defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) will sit out Sunday. Linebacker Jason Worilds (knee) is questionable.

http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d5846d/article/polamalu-practices-for-first-time-in-three-weeks-status-uncertain?module=HP_headlines

Big T
01-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Best news from that article? Mewlede Moore is out. Thank God. Excited to see Dwyer dress.

SnakeEyes43
01-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Best news from that article? Mewlede Moore is out. Thank God. Excited to see Dwyer dress.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

steelersbabex25
01-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Don't do it Troy..save it for the POs

LatrobePA
01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
We'll see a lot of Redman with no Moore.

Dwyer might get a few reps which I can't wait to see!!

Go Pens then Steelers!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Troy is so instrumental in stopping the run so I would love to see him out there because the Browns are going to run Hillis as much as they can regardless of our run defensive stats. It's not worth losing him for the playoffs but at the same time I'd like to see him play if he can. The Browns will throw caution to the wind so we need to be ready.

steeldoc
01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
They need the 2 seed, the bye and the home game. Baltimore will win, the Steelers MUST win. If Troy can play he must...this is a playoff game. The Steelers are not healthy enough to go to the SB as a wild card. They will need rest and some luck.

LatrobePA
01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
They need the 2 seed, the bye and the home game. Baltimore will win, the Steelers MUST win. If Troy can play he must...this is a playoff game. The Steelers are not healthy enough to go to the SB as a wild card. They will need rest and some luck.

I predict Cincy wins over the Rats...

I do agree we need this game for lock down the bye...

Scorp
01-01-2011, 07:06 PM
:goodpost:..........:goodpost:............:goodpos t:

Farrior Fan
01-01-2011, 10:11 PM
why not dress 43 and not play him unless we are behind or tied in the 2nd half? Tell everyone else "look at Troy, if he plays he may get hurt. He is THE KEY to every one of us getting a ring, so if you want to keep him healthy - get out there and smear the browns.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Troy is active and starting today. How long he will play we don't know yet.

Long Island Steel
01-02-2011, 01:15 PM
They must feel confident that his injury is not an issue at all or they're really concerned about their chances without him. Makes me nervous to see him out there today.

DIESELMAN
01-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Troy is active for todays game.....

CLEVELAND -- Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers) star safety Troy Polamalu (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/396174/troy-polamalu) is active for the regular-season finale against Cleveland after missing two games with an Achilles' injury.
Polamalu returned to practice Friday for the first time in three weeks. He was cleared to play in a game the Steelers (11-4) must win to clinch the AFC North title. A six-time Pro Bowler, Polamalu was selected as Pittsburgh's MVP this week by his teammates.
Browns running back Peyton Hillis (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/523458/peyton-hillis) is also active after missing all week with sore ribs. Hillis was injured in last Sunday's loss to Baltimore when he was drilled in the ribs by Ravens safety Ed Reed (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302218/ed-reed) on his second carry.
Hillis leads the Browns with 1,164 rushing yards and has caught 60 passes for 474 yards.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I think Troy answered any questions about his ankle today. He played like the Troy we're used to seeing and obviously was instrumental in the win. That INT on the 2nd play of the game couldn't have been scripted any better. Of course the epic leap across the line that nearly resulted in a sack of McCoy was vintage Polamalu.

steelersbabex25
01-02-2011, 08:55 PM
:plus1: Troy was Troy. He did what he needed to do and got the hell out of there.

Scorp
01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Monday, January 03, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CLEVELAND -- You have to give Steelers linebacker James Farrior credit. He keeps coming up with new ways to describe safety Troy Polamalu and what he means to the defense. One week, he called him "the most instinctive player I've seen at any position." Another week, he praised his football I.Q.: "He studies so hard and prepares so well that he knows what the other team is going to run." Finally, in what seemed like the topper a few weeks ago after Polamalu returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals, he gushed, "He's the best player I've ever been around, bar none."

But Farrior was there again Sunday, ready for the Polamalu question after Polamalu made one of the two big plays that led to a satisfying and playoff seeding-pleasing 41-9 win against the woeful Cleveland Browns. He didn't disappoint.

"Having him back there changes our whole attitude as a defense," Farrior said. "He keeps doing what he's doing and it gives us a different type of confidence. I don't know what it is. With him back there, there's just this feeling that everything's going to be all right."

So it was for the Steelers in a game that wrapped up their AFC North Division title and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

Polamalu said he was told by coach Mike Tomlin Saturday that he would play. He had aggravated a lower leg injury on that second-quarter interception return against the Bengals and, though finishing that game, missed the next two against the New York Jets and Carolina Panthers. There was speculation Tomlin would keep him out against the Browns to make sure he was ready for the playoffs, but Tomlin said it was an easy call to play him after he was cleared by doctors.

"Early in the week, I didn't think he'd make it," Farrior said. "But I talked to him later on and he said there was no way he was missing this game."

Polamalu came through it just fine, calling it a day at halftime when the Steelers led, 31-3. "I felt really good today ... a lot better than I thought I would." But even if Polamalu had hurt his leg again, it would have been the right decision to play him. You can't take anything for granted when a first-round playoff bye and a second-round home game are at stake.

It didn't take Polamalu long to make an impact. On the Browns' second play, he made a diving interception at the Steelers' 44 after the ball bounced off tight end Benjamin Watson's hands. Tomlin and Polamalu made it sound so easy, almost lucky, both saying that Polamalu was "in the right place at the right time." But it's not luck when the big plays keep happening.

"He never misses his opportunities," Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "You'll see other guys drop an interception. He ain't dropping it."

Do you think the interception inspired the Steelers?

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mike Wallace on the next play and the rout was on.

The interception was Polamalu's seventh this season, matching his career high set in 2008, when, coincidentally, the Steelers blew out the Browns in their final regular-season game to take the division title and the No. 2 seed for the playoffs. They went on to win Super Bowl XLIII.

I'm just tellin' ya.

"Like coach Tomlin said, this [division championship] is just a piece of hardware you pick up along the way to where you want to go," Polamalu said.

That would be to Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6 in Dallas.

"Now," Polamalu said, "the tournament starts."

If there were any doubts that Polamalu would be ready even after his interception, he put an end to them by nearly making a spectacular athletic play on the first play of the second quarter. Remember how he timed the snap perfectly and leaped over Tennessee guard Leroy Harris to tackle quarterback Kerry Collins for a 1-yard loss on a sneak way back in September? He almost did the same thing to Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, jumping over the left guard-center gap to get "a piece of his shoulder pad" as McCoy scurried away to safety.

"A lot of things go into a play like that," Polamalu said. "Part of it is guessing. Part of it is film study. Part of it is trying to get in coach [Dick] LeBeau's head to try to figure out what he's thinking with his defensive call ...

"But most of the time, it's just guessing."

You should have seen Polamalu grin.

It seemed like everyone in the Steelers' locker room was grinning.

The great Polamalu had made it through the afternoon healthy and will be ready to go in that first playoff game.

Now, all of Steelers Nation is grinning.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11003/1115232-87.stm#ixzz19zlNxODI

SteelCityKid5
01-03-2011, 04:29 PM
If this guy doesnt win defensive player of the year I will be one unhappy camper