PDA

View Full Version : Philly Postponement Equals More Goodell Foolishness

SteelDad
12-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Just when you think Roger Goodell has gone and done everything he possibly could to destroy this beautiful game we know and love he goes and cancels a football game because of too much anticipated snow. From everything I've heard, the Philly area did indeed get some significant snowfall and many have said that his decision may have been the right one, but there are several reasons why it WASN'T.

1. The true spirit of the game of football dictates that you play the game in weather conditions with the one exception of lightning.
2. The most important thing is not the fans, nor the stadium workers, nor the broadcast companies, it is the game itself and Goodell violated this. Of course it is important to consider the safety of all parties mentioned, this is not what I'm saying, but fans are not stupid. They know when they purchase tickets to games regardless of where they are, that weather can always make for a difficult viewing and traveling to experience.
3. Goodell is starting to look more and more like the NCAA infractions committee. As soon as they were able to move this game to Tuesday night on NBC he jumped on it. God forbid that NBC have to go up against ESPN's MNF!!! Or God forbid one is at 5pm and the other at 830pm!! This decision was not based on safety it was based on more financial greed similar to how the NCAA decided that several OSU players would miss 5 games NEXT season rather than the Sugar Bowl. All about networks and $$$$. Goodell saw the slightest opening in the weather and jumped on it. So now that game will potentially have an even greater audience on Tuesday night than it would have on Sunday night.
4. Did Goodell ever think about the competitive edge or the fairness factor involved in the NFL? The Eagles are fighting for playoff positioning against teams like the Giants, Saints, Bucs and Packers. Wouldn't those teams have loved an extra day or two off? Oh sure, the Eagles will have less time to prepare for their final games, but by this point, most things will be settled and players will be able to overcome the fatigue especially if it means the chance for a bye week. So while the Giants and Packers played in Lambeau where there were flurries and temps in the teens, the Eagles got to stay warm and cozy and wait for the snow to pass.

Oh, and is anyone else expecting Goodell to rule on the Favre-Sterger situation before the end of the season? What a joke. Wait till Brett's done after next week and then make a small statement saying he behaved poorly, but since he's done (finally) there will be no discipline. If you think a lot of the anti-Goodell senitment is mislead then you have some serious research to do because I guarantee by the time he is no longer the Commissioner this game will be but a shell of itself.

Marc Uhlmann
www.steeleraddicts.com

LarryNJ
12-27-2010, 04:07 PM
You can throw a rock from Lincoln Financial to 95. 95 is a total friggin mess when it's sunny an 95 degree out. With 35-50 mph winds and the snow that was coming heaviest during the game I think they made the correct decision. Amtrak, Septa trains and buses were all shut down. I doubt that there would have been more than 10,000 people or so make it there.

Would someone please tell Ed Rendell to STFU? He's such an A-hole crying and whining about the game. It must be because he will probably have to do something pertaining to his job on Tuesday and miss his pre & post game air time on Comcast.

SteelDad
12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
You can certainly speak to it much better than me in the current situation Larry, but my issue is the precedent it sets going forth. In Goodell's never-ending quest to "wussify" this game this is just one more example of it.

For what it's worth profootballtalk.com had a nice piece arguing similarly to what I am. I'm in no rush to compare myself to Florio who I find to be an idiot most of the time, but nevertheless....

airbrake 1
12-27-2010, 05:35 PM
don't fool yourself that goodell isn't thinking about tuesday and maybe even wednsday football...there will probably come a day where there is nfl football l every night of the week...i believe there would have been at least 50,000 people there, even if there was 2 foot of snow on the ground and the roads would have been semi clear..most people who are afraid of the snow wouldn't venture out on a snowy sunday morning and probably the only people on the roads would have been those going to the game as workers or spectators...isn't this why most people buy SUV's now so that they can get around in the snow... i don't recall people being this petrified about weather in years past or it stopping how we live

LarryNJ
12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
You can certainly speak to it much better than me in the current situation Larry, but my issue is the precedent it sets going forth. In Goodell's never-ending quest to "wussify" this game this is just one more example of it.

Well actually I think they should have played it too.. I simply agree with the decision because I can't take hearing the governor cry and bitch about it. He's annoying as hell and I have to hear him every year from Sept until the Eagles are knocked out of the playoffs. :)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
When I heard about this on Saturday I couldn't believe it. I tweeted about the National Pansy League and how you can't justify changing a game just because of the snow. Did they cancel the Ice Bowl? No! Did they cancel that epic battle in the snow with Brady's infamous "clutch" play? No! You don't cancel games because of snow or rain, ever! The institution of the game doesn't matter anymore. It's all about Goodell and his control over the game so he can make sure he sells as many jersey's and hotdogs as he can!

Scorp
12-27-2010, 08:01 PM
When I heard about this on Saturday I couldn't believe it. I tweeted about the National Pansy League and how you can't justify changing a game just because of the snow. Did they cancel the Ice Bowl? No! Did they cancel that epic battle in the snow with Brady's infamous "clutch" play? No! You don't cancel games because of snow or rain, ever! The institution of the game doesn't matter anymore. It's all about Goodell and his control over the game so he can make sure he sells as many jersey's and hotdogs as he can!

It's not a great thing Goodell is commissioner now. It is, however, a great thing he was not the commish back then in the 60's, 70's, or 80's, otherwise we would probably would not have got to see Ice Bowl, Freezer Bowl, Epic In Miami, Fog Bowl, Bucs/Chiefs Monsoon in 79, Stupid FTuck Rule and it doesn't end there. Supposedly he gives a rats dead *** about the fans.......You robbed us Goodell of one heck a great bad weather game.

LarryNJ
12-27-2010, 08:15 PM
You robbed us Goodell of one heck a great bad weather game.

Yes he robbed us...but I doubt that it would be a heck of a game...The Vikings are terrible. :lol: