PDA

View Full Version : Current AFC Playoff picture going into next week...

Troyisabeast_43
12-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Here is the potential playoff scenarios going into next week in the AFC...

The Patriots have clinched the 1 seed and homefield throughout the playoffs...

The Steelers clinch the AFC North next week with a win in Cleveland or a Ravens loss to the Bengals...

The Chiefs clinch the AFC West and a number 3 seed in the playoffs with a win over the Raiders next Sunday or a loss by the Chargers today to the Bengals who lead SD 13-0 now or a loss to the Broncos next week...

The Colts clinch the AFC South division with wins over the Raiders today and against Tennessee next week and the number 4 seed. They can get the 3 seed if they win out and the Chiefs lose to Oakland next week...

The Ravens and Jets have clinched playoff spots and the Jets can no longer win their division and will most likely be the 6 seed in the playoffs...The Ravens can still clinch the AFC North and the number 2 seed but need the Steelers to lose in Cleveland next week and they need to beat the Bengals at home...

Most likely right now if things stand as they are the Chiefs are going to be meeting the Jets in the wildcard round in a 3 versus 6 game and the Ravens will meet the Colts in Indy in a 4 versus 5 game. If the Chiefs win their wildcard game with the Jets they will play the Steelers the first playoff game seeing that the 3 always plays the 2 no matter what anybody else does. Boy that would be a great first matchup for the Steelers as compared to getting the Ravens,Colts,or Jets which is most likely who the Pats will play if one of those teams win...That's the rundown as of right now in the AFC playoff picture I hope this helps clear some things up...We all should become big KC fans the next 2 weeks I believe since they are the best matchup for us to advance I believe to the AFC Championship assuming we still get the 2 seed...

coach
12-26-2010, 05:24 PM
This would be a good situation.

I wish the Steelers were palying today. I am going through withdrawls.

steelersbabex25
12-26-2010, 05:35 PM
It's all in the Steelers hands now.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Aside from the Ratbirds losing today, this is the best case scenario for the Steelers right now. They only need to rely on themselves next Sunday. They win and they get the division and the #2 seed with a first round bye. In a way I'm kind of glad that they are still playing for their lives right now, it will keep them focused and playing with the intensity & urgency needed to head into the post season. Getting a week off and a home playoff game is HUGE. Troy will be ready. Smith could be ready. Ben's nose will be almost healed up and his foot can use the rest. The rest of the bumps and bruises will have time to heal.

Having to go on the road the first week of playoff, or otherwise having to play at all would be bad news for a team that is so beat up and in need of the bye.

Scorp
12-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Just bring on Steelers/Patriots AFC Championship. To see who really wants to add another Lombardi to their collection. It'd be cool if the Pats get knocked out in the divisional game.

LarryNJ
12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
It'd be cool if the Pats get knocked out in the divisional game.

After last year I really don't see that happening this year. They will lose in the AFC Championship game though. :)

The Chiefs? It's hard to believe, could you imagine a SB with the two west teams in it? :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Plenty of things can happen in the next few weeks so nothing is a given, but I'm sure glad we're in the position we're in. I actually wouldn't count out the Chiefs against a team like the Patriots. Peoli knows NE very well and they have some weapons. It could be a really high scoring game if they play.

airbrake 1
12-26-2010, 09:29 PM
I was hoping that baltimore would be going into the playoffs as the 6 seed...i guess there is still a slim chance for that ...i think baltimore could go to kansas city or indy and win which would have sent them to new england...there are still possibilities that could send baltimore to new england i don't know if they can beat the pats(but they did do a number on them last year)but they are the only one of the four who I think can give them a game plus new england probably would not come out of a game with the ratbirds in one piece...hopefully with brady in the hospital after suggs plants his *** in the turf...go steelers crush the clowns this week and lock up that 2 seed

Scorp
12-26-2010, 09:39 PM
This is going to be one hell of a memorable playoff this year.

Farrior Fan
12-26-2010, 09:49 PM
This is going to be one hell of a memorable playoff this year.

Lets hope that next Christmas we are all asking for the 2010 Steelers DVD SB champion box set:tt02:

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, now we have to win out to get another SB. Can't afford to lost to the clowns .

nuclearchihuahuas
12-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Lets hope that next Christmas we are all asking for the 2010 Steelers DVD SB champion box set:tt02:

:plus1: :tt02:

coldrolled
12-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Well, now we have to win out to get another SB. Can't afford to lost to the clowns .

If we cant beat the browns, a super bowl is way out of the question...

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Sorry to go off topic but I have a question.....Did everybody enjoy seeing Rivers not able to get it done vs the Bengals today officially ending the Chargers season as much as I did?.....With all this talk on how great Phillip Rivers is and how elite he is I think its great he consistently failed to get it down in the 4th quarter this year costing his team games......Rivers is Dan Fouts all over again.....A stat monster that doesn't win ****......Fitting Rivers is a Charger just like Fouts was....lol

Steel Trap86
12-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Sorry to go off topic but I have a question.....Did everybody enjoy seeing Rivers not able to get it done vs the Bengals today officially ending the Chargers season as much as I did?.....With all this talk on how great Phillip Rivers is and how elite he is I think its great he consistently failed to get it down in the 4th quarter this year costing his team games......Rivers is Dan Fouts all over again.....A stat monster that doesn't win ****......Fitting Rivers is a Charger just like Fouts was....lol

No I didn't enjoy it at all, matter of fact I ****ing hated it. Took KC, Tampa, Ravens, Bears, Chargers and even Denver to cover the spread and they all came through except Rivers. Bunch of bums couldn't even beat the lowly Bengals with a playoff spot on the line. :banging: But I agree, Rivers reminds me of Romo, only he puts up solid numbers in December and forgets how soon after, but both of them always have so much hype going into a new season and NEVER close. I like Gates though, one of my top tight ends for sure.

Moondog
12-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I should have known better than to count on the Browns. I really want to see the Steelers take it to the Browns and play with a sense of urgency and violence....no nail biting bullshit.

steelchamp204
12-26-2010, 11:31 PM

I enjoyed it IF I saw it, to me its no big deal, The chargers are a rebuilding defense and a mess on offense. As long as norv turner is the coach of that team, they will never win the superbowl. And I dont blame rivers so much for all the media hype. He is a good qb, to say hes not is just idiotic, the media is the fault for making him seem like the next elways, marino watever. But im not a norv turner fan at all and to see him fail makes my day :)

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2010, 11:43 PM
I enjoyed it IF I saw it, to me its no big deal, The chargers are a rebuilding defense and a mess on offense. As long as norv turner is the coach of that team, they will never win the superbowl. And I dont blame rivers so much for all the media hype. He is a good qb, to say hes not is just idiotic, the media is the fault for making him seem like the next elways, marino watever. But im not a norv turner fan at all and to see him fail makes my day :)

Rivers is a punk and he acts like a punk on the field......The talking heads defend his antics saying he just cares about winning so much......I'm all for a player being passionate but I have seen Rivers get into with fans....lol Rivers is a douche and I'm glad he will be at home watching the especially especially since the media has made the QB messiah....lol

Of course he is a very good QB he wouldn't have made the NFL if he wasn't.....I just think he is over-rated and a stat whore just like Dan Fouts.......Rivers blew 3-4 games this year in the 4 quarter and consistently failed to get it done when it mattered......Big reason the Chargers are sitting home for the play-offs......The Chargers actually had a top 10 defense so they were not that bad.......The media even coined these sorry Chargers the team you don't want to play in the play-offs.....:lol:

steelchamp204
12-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Rivers is a punk and he acts like a punk on the field......The talking heads defend his antics saying he just cares about winning so much......I'm all for a player being passionate but I have seen Rivers get into with fans....lol Rivers is a douche and I'm glad he will be at home watching the especially especially since the media has made the QB messiah....lol

Of course he is a very good QB he wouldn't have made the NFL if he wasn't.....I just think he is over-rated and a stat whore just like Dan Fouts.......Rivers blew 3-4 games this year in the 4 quarter and consistently failed to get it done when it mattered......Big reason the Chargers are sitting home for the play-offs......The Chargers actually had a top 10 defense so they were not that bad.......The media even coined these sorry Chargers the team you don't want to play in the play-offs.....:lol:

Yea thats true about Rivers getting into it with the fans. I actually forgot about that but it did happen a few times. I hated rivers when he always played cutler when he was with denver. He was always bashing and talking **** to cutler like no tmmorow. But I dont catch alot of charger games unless there against the eagles or steelers so I wouldnt know to much about there stats, I thought there defense was struggling this year but guees not(my mistake, Ill own up to it lol), I just havrnt heard much talk about rivers at all this season until a couple weeks ago when the chargers had a chance to make the playoffs lol. I hardly watch espn anymore so Idk if they alk about him on there alot, to much Heat,Pats,cowboy and Laker bullshit on that channel anymore.

Ex.
Pats beat the Bill today by 20+, espn makes a 4 min highlight of the game.

Ravens beat the browns only by ten, espn shows 1 clip of the game and thats it lol.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Yea thats true about Rivers getting into it with the fans. I actually forgot about that but it did happen a few times. I hated rivers when he always played cutler when he was with denver. He was always bashing and talking **** to cutler like no tmmorow. But I dont catch alot of charger games unless there against the eagles or steelers so I wouldnt know to much about there stats, I thought there defense was struggling this year but guees not(my mistake, Ill own up to it lol), I just havrnt heard much talk about rivers at all this season until a couple weeks ago when the chargers had a chance to make the playoffs lol. I hardly watch espn anymore so Idk if they alk about him on there alot, to much Heat,Pats,cowboy and Laker bullshit on that channel anymore.

Ex.
Pats beat the Bill today by 20+, espn makes a 4 min highlight of the game.

Ravens beat the browns only by ten, espn shows 1 clip of the game and thats it lol.

I watch very little ESPN but I do listen to ESPN radio on my way to work in the car.........ESPN just blows Rivers balls.......I do watch NFL Network and the talking head on there (especially Michael Irvin) were coining the Charger the team you don't want to play in the play-offs....All season really Rivers was looked at as an MVP candidate until recently......

chisteeler
12-27-2010, 01:50 AM
I loved it! Too bad for Phillip "I live in a van down by the" Rivers. He is a punk..good QB, but a punk!

Scorp
12-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Rivers is a punk and he acts like a punk on the field

Doesn't Rivers remind you of a http://http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/merlinamagus/barn_owl.jpg

LarryNJ
12-27-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm glad that the Browns didn't win. We are not good enough to take a week off. They need to play with a passion, get the bye and rest than. I think the Steelers and Ravens are the only 2 teams with a chance to win in NE.

coldrolled
12-27-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm glad that the Browns didn't win. We are not good enough to take a week off. They need to play with a passion, get the bye and rest than. I think the Steelers and Ravens are the only 2 teams with a chance to win in NE.

Manning may have the best shot in a shoot out ranked #1 in pass offense. the NE Defense is ranked near last at 27th and 30th against the pass... but then again the chargers were #1 defense and #2 offense in the stats... and they are home. so those stats may be worthless.

bigplaysteel
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Plenty of things can happen in the next few weeks so nothing is a given, but I'm sure glad we're in the position we're in. I actually wouldn't count out the Chiefs against a team like the Patriots. Peoli knows NE very well and they have some weapons. It could be a really high scoring game if they play.

I don't think you really want to see KC play NE. In the best case scenario Troyisabeast_43 has laid out the only way they could play NE is if the Steelers are eliminated. Oh wait, they could become the 4th seed and both WC's get 1&dunned[new word]--- then the Steelers would get Indy.

Hmm! This reminds me of a Pat Kirwan article a few years ago. He went back to when this PO format started and listed how the the various seeds did in the overall picture. IIRC the #3 had never won the SB when it was written. I am not sure but Indy as a #3 did so recently. I am going to try and find that article because I think we are way better off at 2nd or even 6th than 3rd. 5th sucked too IIRC.

It has just occurred to me, that maybe being #3 is really not so good. 1. You have to play and win a WC game.
2. If you stay alive, you must meet the #2. 3. Then you still have to play either the #1 and/or one heckofa hot team that just beat the #1.

Ahh! Just beat Cleveland. Get#2. Plenty of #2's have won it all.

Scorp
12-28-2010, 12:29 PM
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted 17 hours ago

aaThe Steelers have the perfect scenario facing them this week when they head to Cleveland to take on the Browns.

While they have already secured a playoff spot, a win Sunday afternoon would wrap up the AFC North title and a first-round playoff bye without having to worry about what anyone else does.

“It’s the perfect position you want to be in, having control of your own fate,” said running back Mewelde Moore. “It’s all about us doing what we have to do to get this win.”

It won’t be easy, though. The Browns 5-11 record isn’t indicative of how they have played this season, with upset wins over the New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints under their belts.

“When you look at them on tape, their record might be different, but they are a sound team, a power team and get right after it,” said Moore. “It’s a tough matchup and something we have to be ready for.”

The AFC North has come down to a two-team race in the final week of the season. If the Steelers win, they get the title. But if the Steelers would lose to the Browns and the Baltimore Ravens defeat the Cincinnati Bengals, the Ravens would win the title.

“It’s a big week,” said nose tackle Chris Hoke. “Last year we went up there and got beat. We have to make sure we prepare every single moment we have. It’s going to be a tough, hard-fought game. We have to go there and take care of business. If we go there and do what we do and play Steelers football, everything will be fine.”

The Steelers lost to the Browns 13-6 last year at Cleveland Browns Stadium and it still stings some of the Steelers players.

“It doesn’t get any better than this,” said defensive end Nick Eason. “This is a huge game. Last year we went down there and they beat us so we have a huge chip on our shoulder. We have to get ready to play.

“In this game anyone can beat you if you don’t prepare well. Cleveland has a good team. We can’t take them lightly. It’s our goal to try and win out. We always said winning games in the season will put you in position to get in the playoffs. We let three or four slip away from us this year, but we worked hard to get where we are and we are just concentrating on winning.”

In addition to the AFC North title, a win would give the Steelers a bye week and provide some much needed time off for the black and gold.

“It’s important to rest up and get rejuvenated and fresh legs under you,” said Moore. “It’s big and something we need.”

A bye would benefit some of the players that are bruised and battered, but would also leave a little more time for preparation as well.

“The bye is always good to have to let guys rest,” said Eason. “It also lets us study our opponent and have more game-planning time. It’s huge.”

Real Deal Steel
12-29-2010, 12:18 AM

The Chiefs are the best tailored made team for us in the first round. Once we take away their run game, they have ONE WR we need to worry about. And we can do that.

The Chiefs are a bad match up for the Patriots in my opinion because they would be able to run on the Patriots and keep the ball away from Brady.

But we will get the Chiefs, beat up on Matt Cassell and prepare to go New England for the AFC Championship game.

But the Patriots could be upset by the Ravens.