PDA

View Full Version : Coaching

Clevelandsux
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I question Tomlins coaching decisions and clock management. Like when he went for it on 4th down. To me, you take the points. He's leaving alot out there on the field. This is why we are blowing leads. I mean seriously, whats our percentage on 4th down? You take the points! And, we blow a timeout on the challenge. Fortunately, the game never got close and we were playing the lowly Panthers. Had we kicked the fg it would have been 23-0. Instead it was still 20-0, and If the panthers had any fire power they could have driven down field and made a game of it.

This was also evident on the drive right before halftime. You take the points! Poor management. I just see too many squandered opportunties. This team has to go start learning to put teams away!

We also need to protect the ball. Too many turnovers! I dont know if the ball was slick, but Ben had problems with the handoffs.:cursin:

Zachintosh66
12-24-2010, 11:20 AM
i disagree... i feel we go for the kick too often. We have no killer instinct. When it was 17-0 and we kicked we should went for it IMO

Our conservative brand of football wont work with the likes of Pats, Falcons, Saints. We need to get an attitude on offense.

You know the attitude, the same one Ben gets every 4th quarter when he has to score pts in order to bail the team out and either keep them in or to win games. We need to get that attitude in the first half of games...

LatrobePA
12-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, the blood was in the water, FEED! I liked it!!

SteelCityKid5
12-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I question Tomlins coaching decisions and clock management. Like when he went for it on 4th down. To me, you take the points. He's leaving alot out there on the field. This is why we are blowing leads. I mean seriously, whats our percentage on 4th down? You take the points! And, we blow a timeout on the challenge. Fortunately, the game never got close and we were playing the lowly Panthers. Had we kicked the fg it would have been 23-0. Instead it was still 20-0, and If the panthers had any fire power they could have driven down field and made a game of it.

1)Yes he was leaving a lot out there thats why he went for the first down to get a TD instead of a FG.

2)You answered the question as to why he went for it on 4th

3) They had no fire power whatsoever in that game. Again, you answered as to why he went for it.

4) You really think that offense was going to drive 96 yards on our D? Going for it shows how confident Tomlin is in our defense.

Clevelandsux
12-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Ya, you guys wouldn't be saying that had we lost. Like I said we were playing the worst team in football. That crap won't cut it vs better teams.

Zachintosh66
12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Ya, you guys wouldn't be saying that had we lost. Like I said we were playing the worst team in football. That crap won't cut it vs better teams.

FGs wont cut it against a better team...

point is if we get into the red zone we need TDs... I dont care how many 40yd Bombs Ben hits, we gotta cross the goalline in the red zone!

Lunchbucket
12-24-2010, 12:15 PM
In referance to Ben having trouble with the handoffs last night,I noticed Redman tried to accept a handoff with his hands in the wrong position to accept the ball.causing his arm to kick the ball out....result.... fumble.Poor technique on Redman behalf....That 1...... not Ben's fault.

steelersbabex25
12-24-2010, 12:48 PM
I love that they went for it on 4th down. Maybe in a nailbiter game against the Ravens you take the points, but not against the Panthers.

steelchamp204
12-24-2010, 01:00 PM
The only thing the coaches messed up on was running Moore more than redman in the redzone. So sick of seeing moore and his 1.2 yards a carry and ****. He is a back that is good with catching balls and running, but not running through the line.

Ohiofan
12-24-2010, 01:21 PM
In referance to Ben having trouble with the handoffs last night,I noticed Redman tried to accept a handoff with his hands in the wrong position to accept the ball.causing his arm to kick the ball out....result.... fumble.Poor technique on Redman behalf....That 1...... not Ben's fault.

I saw that on the replay too, and thought Redman screwed up on something he's been doing at least 10 years :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2010, 11:26 PM
I liked the decision to go for it, we go the safe route too often. Now, in a close a game getting the sure points is always the right decision but in a game when you're up, you go for the kill shot. When your defense is playing great you can afford to take that risk now and then even if it doesn't pay off.

Let's not blame Tomlin for all the issues especially in the redzone. The players have to execute those plays and they falter often, especially the OL in the redzone. when you have defenders in your backfield it pretty much blows up any play you have called.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-25-2010, 12:24 AM
I had no problem with Tomlin going for it on 4th down........The Steelers were up 20-0 and the Panthers had to march 90+ yards with Jimmy Clausen at QB to score a TD....lol

Woodson_DownUnder
12-25-2010, 02:18 AM
i disagree... i feel we go for the kick too often. We have no killer instinct. When it was 17-0 and we kicked we should went for it IMO

Our conservative brand of football wont work with the likes of Pats, Falcons, Saints. We need to get an attitude on offense.

You know the attitude, the same one Ben gets every 4th quarter when he has to score pts in order to bail the team out and either keep them in or to win games. We need to get that attitude in the first half of games...

I second that. Gotta start taking chances and seeing what can be made of these opportunities. Blew a few too many here & there vs Panthers. Need TE's Miller / Johnson to lead the runners to the line to have more hope in getting that first down.

Like the Ravens game, patience was crucial. Steelers grinding games out can put alot of pressure on the D with getting that rest (staying fresh for second half). That's the bottom line.

Clevelandsux
12-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Totally disagree! You take advantage of your opportunties. Our offense hasn't done crap on 4th down this year. You watch, this could cost us a big ball game.

xxxsteelernation
12-25-2010, 10:18 AM
i agree that should have gone for it in this game. this was a preseaon game for us at the end of the season. this is one of those games that you try to work out all of the kinks or find what kinks you have before the playoffs and try to fix them. One thing i am tired of is seeing mendy keep trying to take the ball between flozell and foster i think that they need to start running more behind pouncey, kemo, and scott they are getting hell of pushes on the left side.

steelersbabex25
12-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Totally disagree! You take advantage of your opportunties. Our offense hasn't done crap on 4th down this year. You watch, this could cost us a big ball game.

Take advantage of what? Getting 3 points when you would still be up 3 scores regardless?

pimplydan
12-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Cannot critizies Tomlins playcalling against the Panthers.Tomlin had confidence that the game was in the bag with the 20 point lead.He then took the opportunity to work on the things that he fealt needed.I think he did a great job!

steeldoc
12-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Awe common...This game was over very very early and Tomlin was trying to play with a sense of urgency. Name one playoff team the wins by taking the petal off the gas this time of the year. Carolina sucked, early and often. It was cold (I was there, the coldest ever of all the games I have attended) and the boss was setting the tone. Face it fans, the Steelers are very good but not great. Trust the coach and his judgement on this. Talk radio in the Burgh blasted him for keeping the starters in, I think they are wrong. Tomlin knows his team is evolving as the season ends and needs to get Saunders and Brown into the game plan (more reps) if the Steelers will progress into the post season.

SteelDad
12-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Going for it was the right call and had the officials had the correct camera angle(one of my many issues against IR) this thread would be a moot point because I'd bet my kids' xmas presents that mendy had a first down there. Nevertheless, why you go for it....

1. Carolina had not scored more than 2 offensive TD's in a game all season.
2. They had shown little ability to do anything offensively.
3. They were going to be starting inside their own 5.
4. Lastly, if they come back and beat us from 20-0 down then we don't even deserve to be in the playoffs let alone "hang with the Panthers."

coldrolled
12-26-2010, 11:22 AM
i dont get why butler, sylvester and worilds werent playing on D a few plays.

especially worilds as woodley really needs a kick in the back side.

Lunchbucket
12-26-2010, 12:37 PM
i dont get why butler, sylvester and worilds werent playing on D a few plays.

especially worilds as woodley really needs a kick in the back side.

Good idea , I too would like to see more of these young guys,just to give them some game time exposure, cause God forbid, someone goes down and they don't even have that expierence under their belt. Maybe vs Cleveland ???