PDA

View Full Version : Is the defense championship caliber?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2010, 12:05 AM
I would say yes they are. Now, granted the Panthers are not a high powered offense. The Jets really weren't either, but overall I think these guys have all the tools to be championship caliber. They've proven they can take over a game by creating turnovers, sacks, shutting down the run, etc. If they blitz and get after the QB they can hang with anyone. When they sit back and don't create pressure they are vulnerable.

The question remains though, can the secondary hold up. With Troy in there, the chances improve dramatically. If Smith comes back for the postseason the pressure on the QB will be even better which will help them out. Mundy is playing tough, credit the kid for stepping up but we all know we need Troy in there.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
With a healthy Troy Polamalu then yes and especially if the old warrior Aaron Smith comes back healthy.......

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-24-2010, 12:08 AM
When healthy, yes. Can't wait for Troy and smith to return!

steelersbabex25
12-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Depends on the day.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I would worry about this defense against Marsha Brady......Brady seems to own LeBeau and our defense.......But then again you never know.....The Steelers in 2005 shouldn't have beaten the Colts either according to the talking heads and experts....Of course we know what happened........Put pressure on Marsha especially up the middle and he doesn't look so great.....which most QBs don't......

steelchamp204
12-24-2010, 09:09 AM
I would worry about this defense against Marsha Brady......Brady seems to own LeBeau and our defense.......But then again you never know.....The Steelers in 2005 shouldn't have beaten the Colts either according to the talking heads and experts....Of course we know what happened........Put pressure on Marsha especially up the middle and he doesn't look so great.....which most QBs don't......

:plus1:

Its not so much Brady, its his o-line, they are monsters blocking blitzes and anything you throw at them. I have to give credit to there oline, alotta people think they get away with alot of holds and such, but they are as good as it gets. And No matter what qb it is except for (delhomme,Clausen) If you have that much time to throw your gonna pick apart any good defense. Look how Ben has been the past couple weeks with pretty good protection. Ok, the jets game, not really all that good, I think he threw to much and thats not his game really. Not knocking Brady but imagine if he had Bens oline from 2006-present. It would be ugly.

Lunchbucket
12-24-2010, 09:17 AM
With a healthy Troy Polamalu then yes and especially if the old warrior Aaron Smith comes back healthy.......

With those 2 back,I believe we have a more than better chance at making a playoff run.:cope::tt02::tt02:

jpele
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
We gave up 3 points last night , fire them all. :grin1:

Really at times I wonder what they are thinking ?

When our best pass rusher ( Harrison) spends most of the game in coverage.

We only use a 3-4 man rush (especially against an inexperienced QB)

Where is Woodley is he still on the team?

To answer the question , yes we have the ability and talent to be championship caliber. Will we use it thats another question

Scorp
12-24-2010, 09:49 AM
They have been throughout the season. Of course when playoffs come around and we have all of our guys on the field then it's all over. Make way for the Stillers baby.

Farrior Fan
12-24-2010, 10:08 AM
:plus1:

Its not so much Brady, its his o-line, they are monsters blocking blitzes and anything you throw at them. I have to give credit to there oline, alotta people think they get away with alot of holds and such, but they are as good as it gets. And No matter what qb it is except for (delhomme,Clausen) If you have that much time to throw your gonna pick apart any good defense. Look how Ben has been the past couple weeks with pretty good protection. Ok, the jets game, not really all that good, I think he threw to much and thats not his game really. Not knocking Brady but imagine if he had Bens oline from 2006-present. It would be ugly.

Same with the running game - Ben Jarvis Green Ellis is not a great RB, that O line is great. Look at Peytons Oline for the past decade....Offensive lines and great defenses win championships. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a casual fan. Period.

Lunchbucket
12-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Same with the running game - Ben Jarvis Green Ellis is not a great RB, that O line is great. Look at Peytons Oline for the past decade....Offensive lines and great defenses win championships. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a casual fan. Period.

:plus1: T..........RUTH.

steelchamp204
12-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Also if you think about it, after all these years since 2004, I think the offense can pick the defense up a little bit more than what it has. Cant rely on the defense all the time. The offense needs to pick these guys up by sustaining drives to rest our old defense and put up some points so the defense doesnt go into a game think they need to hold the opponet to 17 points or fewer a game. If the offense would just do its part inhelping out the team, our defense is just fine.

SteelCityKid5
12-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Well, we dont matchup well with the Pats. Not saying we cant beat them but I dont like our chances. Any other team in the AFC and NFC we can take and beat. Heres to the Chargers or Colts or whoever beating the Pats!

Scorp
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, we dont matchup well with the Pats. Not saying we cant beat them but I dont like our chances. Any other team in the AFC and NFC we can take and beat. Heres to the Chargers or Colts or whoever beating the Pats!

Colts finally beat the Pats in the playoffs, why can't the Steelers? :yellowthumb:

SteelCityKid5
12-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Colts finally beat the Pats in the playoffs, why can't the Steelers? :yellowthumb:

I hear you. I honestly think we can beat them. That game was 10-3 at half and could have been a different outcome. But it wasnt and they killed us. I just really dont want to go to Foxborough and have to play them.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-24-2010, 03:21 PM
With a healthy Troy and Aaron definitely championship caliber!! IF Lebeau lets them loose we can play with anybody...like was said earlier in the season...paraphase...Lets die by what got us here!!...

steelersbabex25
12-24-2010, 03:42 PM

No game is out of reach for the Steelers come playoff time. We should all know that by now.

pimplydan
12-24-2010, 04:54 PM
The steelers defence is championship caliber as much as any other team in the league with Polomalu in the lineup.Even more so with Smith.
The steelers D can win a game by themselves better than any other .

Scorp
12-24-2010, 05:31 PM
I hear you. I honestly think we can beat them. That game was 10-3 at half and could have been a different outcome. But it wasnt and they killed us. I just really dont want to go to Foxborough and have to play them.

It would be sweet as seeing me naked for the Steelers to whip the Pats in NE. :yellowthumb:

--- Added 12/24/2010 at 04:31 PM ---

No game is out of reach for the Steelers come playoff time. We should all know that by now.

Cause whoever faces the Steelers will be either be shittin Ravens or Jets or Jaguars. We will be unstoppable. :yellowthumb:

SteelCityKid5
12-24-2010, 09:49 PM

Riiiight, but how should we all know that by now?

steelersbabex25
12-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Riiiight, but how should we all know that by now?

Well, I won't go back through the entire Steeler history, mostly because I wasn't alive during the good years, so I'll just reference the past two Superbowl wins.

XL- Not a great regular season. Finished with all the wins that we needed, entered the playoffs as a 6 seed. Still, nobody said the Steelers would get past the Bengals. Nobody said the Steelers would get past the Colts. Look at that, they did the seemingly impossible.

XLIII - The season of perhaps the most difficult regular season schedule in a long long time. Again, nobody said the Steelers would be able to do what they did that season, and they finished out with 12 wins. That was the regular season and not the playoffs, but I put it in the same category. I also don't recall many "experts" saying that we could beat the Ravens for the 3rd time in the AFCCG, but we did the impossible again in that case.

Ergo, the playoffs are a whole new season. I don't care if we lost to the Pats 100-0 in the regular season. There's no telling what's going to happen once we face them at a different time in a different environment. That is, if we do end up having to play them.

Sooo long story short, that's how we should all know that.

SteelerSteve
12-25-2010, 04:01 AM
without Troy or Smith, then I think we will struggle alot with good passing teams...With Troy and no smith, then I'd say we will be adequate...But with a healthy smith and a healthy polamalu then we are the best defense in the league by far and easily championship caliber. In my opinion we won't have a chance if we play the pats in the playoffs without aaron smith in there.

steeldoc
12-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Time will tell. IMHO to win the Super Bowl, a team must have these three characteristics. One,they must be a solid well coached team, two they CANNOT have major injuries to key players, and three they gotta get hot at the right time. Losing Smith, Starks and Colon are biggies. I think Troy will be back and provide stability to the D in the post season.

steelersbabex25
12-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Time will tell. IMHO to win the Super Bowl, a team must have these three characteristics. One,they must be a solid well coached team, two they CANNOT have major injuries to key players, and three they gotta get hot at the right time. Losing Smith, Starks and Colon are biggies. I think Troy will be back and provide stability to the D in the post season.

Troy will definitely be back and so will Smith.

Phdboy2020
12-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I think the Steelers are def a championship caliber D when Troy and Arron are playing healthy. However, our secondary has been shaky at times and could be our undoing. Troy can only do so much on his own. We need more playmakers in the secondary. Also, our pass rush has been shut down at times and I think a lot of that has been b/c of Troy not playing. With Arron returning, that should help a lot too. Besides that, lights out D. Lets get our #7 and go home guys!! Go Black and Yellow!!