PDA

View Full Version : your Steelers favourite victories

pimplydan
12-22-2010, 02:57 PM
my first great victory was: Superbowl XIII

stratocaster68
12-22-2010, 03:00 PM
AFCCG against Baltimore a couple years ago is a top 5 over 40 years of being a fan. It was just as good as winning SB XLIII. (I live in Ratbirds land).
BD

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Winning Super Bowl XL. It was a sloppy game for sure, but it was a longtime coming for the Steelers organization to get our fifth ring. That one was for Bill Cowher and Jerome Bettis.

Farrior Fan
12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
the Immaculate Tackle game - playoffs 2005 vs. Indy I thought I was going to die when Bettis fumbled, but our D held up.

pimplydan
12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
superbowl XL was all thanks to PIMPLYDAN:yellowthumb:

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Superbowl 43. Great game

MDSteel15
12-22-2010, 04:03 PM
1.The first time I seen them in person was in Baltimore the last year the Gayvens played at Memorial Stadium. The Steelers came out after haltime down 21-0!!! Lead by Kordell Stewart, they charged back and beat the Ravens like 35-21!!!

2.The opening game after the 9/11 tragedies which just happened to be the opening of Hines field against the Bengals. Obviously we won. BUT, what made it special was when all the Steeler greats came out before the game started and the jets flew over in salute to those that had died that awful day.

LatrobePA
12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Mine, the next one...

SteelDad
12-22-2010, 04:47 PM
These questions are always difficult because there are so many. I guess in pre-Cowher days beating Houston in the AFCC games two years in a row was cool. During the Cowher years, I loved the run to SBXL, and I was at the final game at 3 Rivers against the Skins but the win over Cleveland the year Kordell became 'Slash' was pretty awesome. I think it was a monday nighter. Under the current regime, beating Baltimore in the AFCC was definitely a highlight.

Lunchbucket
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Immaculate reception,and the first SB IX.Vikes vs Steelers{that defense was incredible IMHO}

Goodfrom55
12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
1st SUperbowel I ever saw (SB XIII), where I became a Steelers fan. I was 6 years old and someone asked me who I was rooting for and I said whoever wins. Thank God the Steelers beat the Cowboys otherwise I would be a tortured Cowboys fan.

SB XLIII was also a treat.

Farrior Fan
12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I saw the Steelers for the first and only time in person in 08 in DC. I almost had a heart attack when #$% for brains Tomlin called for an onsides kick to start the game. We went down 0-6 on their first 2 possessions. From there we played lights out D and won 23-6. Jason Campbell was red hot going into the game and had 0 ints before we picked him off twice.

airbrake 1
12-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Super Bowl XIII was my first great moment as a steeler fan...that season was the first time i really remember following the team religiously..I was 9 years old

my first game at Three rivers stadium I believe it was in mid 80's against cincinnati...coach noll despised sam wyche and refused to shake his hand.

1995 AFC CG against the colts this was my first time to witness the steelers in person win to advance to the super bowl...it was just an incredible sight outside TRS after that game...the temperature on this day was unusually warm for january...i think most people had on short sleeve shirts...too bad we came up one win short of our ultimate goal that year

2009 AFC CG against baltimore... it was my first in person AFC CG at heinz field...It was really great to get that first AFC CG win at heinz and to exorcize the demons of those two losses to the patriots and convince a lot of people that heinz field wasn't cursed...

2009-2010 Green BAY was a pretty fun game last year winning on the last play, ben throwing for 504

LarryNJ
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Houston in the AFCC games two years in a row was cool

Freezing rain, running onto the field after the win, the guy in front of me stole Bums hat, sliding around on the turf, could pick myself out of the crowd on the cover of the Press the next day... Wow..it was great to be a drunk 19 year old. Life was fun! :lol:

mwittman5
12-22-2010, 08:55 PM
superbowl 43, also my favorite season. So many memorable moments from Troy intercepting flacco to seal the AFC champ game to holmes game winning catch in the superbowl. Just an awesome season.

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Freezing rain, running onto the field after the win, the guy in front of me stole Bums hat, sliding around on the turf, could pick myself out of the crowd on the cover of the Press the next day... Wow..it was great to be a drunk 19 year old. Life was fun! :lol:

Now that was funny when they stole Bums hat. lol. Bum went after him too.

--- Added 12/22/2010 at 08:41 PM ---

One that comes to mind was beating the 49ers in 1984. The 49ers only lost one game that year. We won behind Mark Malone and Frank pollard. Also a win on MNF vs the Cowboys in 1982. The Steelers reign was over, but some of the old vets like Bradshaw, Stallworth and Franco played a whale of a game and upset the Cowboys on opening weekend.

Any victory over the Browns is always great in my book.

Zachintosh66
12-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Super Bowl XL for setimental reasons... last game both my Dad and G-pa seen

SteelCityKid5
12-22-2010, 11:55 PM
First SB win I saw XL

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Their 5th super bowl. Not necessarily for the game itself but, how they survived the playoffs and got to the big dance.

Scorp
12-23-2010, 11:51 AM
In no practicular order. Steelers/Colts 95 afc championship, Super Bowl XLIII, Steelers/Packers 2009, Steelers 3 games against Ratbirds in 08, Steelers/Chargers mnf 05, Steelers/Colts afc divis 05, and Steelers/Chargers 08 afc divis.

SteelDad
12-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Classic!! I actually had a chance to play dominoes with Bum back in the 90's. His ranch in Texas was down the road from my Father's. There were spittoons at each corner of the table and my Dad asked me to make sure I brought up the '80 AFCC game where Renfro was "in bounds" just to make Bum spit his chew all over himself. Which he did.

75Steeler
12-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Bowl 43

pimplydan
12-23-2010, 12:39 PM
STEELDAD ! that is so cool, I was 17 at that time but I vaguely remember (I think) a touchdown catch that was called out of bound.Is that what your talking about?Are your talking about Bum Philips the head coach of the Houston oilers?

oh my! You bring me back some good ol memories,thank you.

PIMP:grin1:

Re-sign Jeff Reed
12-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Any win is great whether it's a shut out or a nail biter. Wins get us to the Superbowls! Go Steelers! But not Suisham cause I want Reed back.......

Clevelandsux
12-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Any win is great whether it's a shut out or a nail biter. Wins get us to the Superbowls! Go Steelers! But not Suisham cause I want Reed back.......

I think you are Jeff Reed.

LarryNJ
12-23-2010, 02:52 PM
STEELDAD ! that is so cool, I was 17 at that time but I vaguely remember (I think) a touchdown catch that was called out of bound.Is that what your talking about?Are your talking about Bum Philips the head coach of the Houston oilers?

oh my! You bring me back some good ol memories,thank you.

PIMP:grin1:

Yes that's who he is talking about. He seemed like a good guy but the Steelers owned him. first play of the game Jack Ham tackles Earl Campbell for a 3 yard loss, Three Rivers went nuts and you simply knew no way we were going to lose.
if you watch the hbo series on the Pens and Caps you'll see the Caps coach doing a Bum Phillips impression when he says, We're going to kick the f'n dour in. hahaha God luck with that, Bum never did.

MattyVfromCT
12-25-2010, 01:00 PM
in no particular order

games that i've watched live since i became a fan:

94 mnf vs the bills (the rod woodson game)
95 afc championship game
97 reg season at new england (kevin henry game)
97 divisional playoffs vs new england
00 final game at three rivers vs the skins
02 afc wild card game vs the clowns
04 divisional game vs the jets
05 reg season vs the bears
05 entire playoff run
07 vs the rats (lousy game but loved how we dominated them, ben and harrison were awesome)
08 jags, skins, chargers, both rats games, new england, dallas
08 afc championship game
super bowl xliii
09 vikings and packers
10 atlanta, sweeping the mouthy bungles, at bmore

honestly i love every game we win so its hard to pick lol.

games before my time as a fan that i have dvd copies of that are my favs:
74 and 75 afc championship games vs oakland
787 and 79 afc championship games vs houston
all 4 super bowls (9 was lousy but the d was dominant so i enjoy that at least)
84 vs the 49ers
89 wild card game vs houston
92 vs houston (cowher's first win)

honestly theres so many its hard to choose lol

coach
12-25-2010, 02:10 PM
AFCCG against Baltimore a couple years ago is a top 5 over 40 years of being a fan. It was just as good as winning SB XLIII. (I live in Ratbirds land).
BD

Definitely a favourite. Hard-hitting game. Beat the rats three times in one year, which was a big accomplishment, too.

xxxsteelernation
12-25-2010, 06:14 PM
my favorite has got to be the playoff game game between colts and steelers in 05-06 super bowl season. All came down to a big ben tackle and a miraculously missed feild goal that allowed us to beat denver and go on to the super bowl....considering the colts were highly favored.