PDA

View Full Version : Sushi's Perfection

SteelDad
12-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyone buy into that theory that a guy who is perfect in his job needs a "fail" or two before the playoffs start? Anyone Recall Gary Anderson kicking for the Vikes in 1998????

Just thought I'd throw this nugget out for us to chew on.

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Hopefully we won't rely on him in the playoffs...

steelersbabex25
12-22-2010, 03:37 PM
He hasn't had much opportunity to fail so far. Hopefully he won't get that opportunity at all this season..

MDSteel15
12-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Let's not try to jinx the poor guy! :popcorn:

pimplydan
12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
ya I remember, Gary Anderson was short on a field goal attempt in the championship game vs the Falcons.

LatrobePA
12-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Let's not try to jinx the poor guy! :popcorn:

Ditto, I won't post anything good or bad right now...:banana:

Big T
12-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Hopefully we won't rely on him in the playoffs...

I am dreading the day we rely in him to win a playoff game. Dreading it. He's been a pleasant suprise but he's just setting us up for heartbreak.

SteelDad
12-22-2010, 04:41 PM
I am dreading the day we rely in him to win a playoff game. Dreading it. He's been a pleasant suprise but he's just setting us up for heartbreak.

And that is EXACTLY why I posted the threat. Scares me to death.

airbrake 1
12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Still holding my breath with every kick, but with that he has been money for us...i guarantee we would have lost at least one(probably more) of the games he played, had we still had reed...hopefully we are scoring multiple touchdowns during the post season and wont have to rely on him kicking field goals...

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
ya I remember, Gary Anderson was short on a field goal attempt in the championship game vs the Falcons.

Actually it was an extra point. Glad it was while he was a Viking, not a Steeler.

--- Added 12/22/2010 at 08:43 PM ---

Suishams kickoffs however haven't been so great. Hard to believe this guy has played for 3 or 4 different teams already.

Steel Trap86
12-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Sushi? :dunno: If a nickname is being given to the kicker I'll go with 'Swish' since he hasn't missed yet. lol but I hope we never have to rely on this guy to win a game, even if he is perfect.

Re-sign Jeff Reed
12-22-2010, 09:57 PM
I hope "Sushi" misses the ball tomorrow and falls on his butt Charlie Brown style! Re-sign Reed! He is 7 for 7 so far for the 49ers, made 2 53 yarders, won us 12 games, helped us attain 2 Lombardi trophies, donated a lot to charities, was a locker room favorite, and was my favorite player.

greennick
12-22-2010, 11:16 PM
I hope "Sushi" misses the ball tomorrow and falls on his butt Charlie Brown style! Re-sign Reed! He is 7 for 7 so far for the 49ers, made 2 53 yarders, won us 12 games, helped us attain 2 Lombardi trophies, donated a lot to charities, was a locker room favorite, and was my favorite player.

Reckon he would want to come back??

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 11:35 PM

Oh give me a break. Reed is finished. He was so undependable. I don't miss him. And as long as suisham keeps making them, great. Not setting him up for failure like you guys are. I am a fan of the Steelers. And I root for the guys on the field now.

greg1964
12-23-2010, 07:20 AM
No.... why would he need to fail before the playoffs. and for the person that said he hasn't had a opportunity to fail: out of his night FG's 8 were from 40+ yards and ALL help determine the outcome of games. If he missed any of the FG's the Steelers could be on a 3 game losing streak.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-23-2010, 08:18 AM
He needs to be signed long term as our new kicker as far as I'm concerned. He's proven himself on the road and at Heinz Field. He's made every kick so far right down the middle and many of them over 40 yards.

Clevelandsux
12-23-2010, 08:37 AM
He needs to be signed long term as our new kicker as far as I'm concerned. He's proven himself on the road and at Heinz Field. He's made every kick so far right down the middle and many of them over 40 yards.

amen!:cope:

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Reed, he might o kicked his crack habit. lol Sobriety is a hell of a thang.

pimplydan
12-23-2010, 12:46 PM
ROCKCITY you are right! he has hit everything down the middle so far, he makes it look easy.If he become **** ,well we just find another kicker that's all.

Re-sign Jeff Reed
12-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Suisham sucks! Reed rocks! Reed is perfect for the 49ers so far! Suisham is too though bur I bet he'll never make a 53.

--- Added 12/23/2010 at 11:56 AM ---

ROCKCITY you are right! he has hit everything down the middle so far, he makes it look easy.If he become **** ,well we just find another kicker that's all.

We will just have to re-sign Jeff Reed cause he rocks!

--- Added 12/23/2010 at 12:02 PM ---

Oh give me a break. Reed is finished. He was so undependable. I don't miss him. And as long as suisham keeps making them, great. Not setting him up for failure like you guys are. I am a fan of the Steelers. And I root for the guys on the field now.

Reed was pretty dependable if you ask me. I mean he made 2 53 yard fieldgoals, won us 12 games in 9 years, helped us attain 2 Lombardi trophies, and was a locker room favorite. He was having an off season. Big deal. Look at Ben's stats for '06 or look at Harrison's fines this year. Everyone has a off year. Reed rocks!

--- Added 12/23/2010 at 12:07 PM ---

Reckon he would want to come back??

Yes I do. He loves Pittsburgh and had been a Steeler for 9 years.

Lunchbucket
12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
He is our kicker now,give the man a vote of confidence,and stop worrying about him not being clutch,ya don't know till it happens.Faith,Steeler Dudes and Dudettes.

Re-sign Jeff Reed
12-23-2010, 02:23 PM
He is our kicker now,give the man a vote of confidence,and stop worrying about him not being clutch,ya don't know till it happens.Faith,Steeler Dudes and Dudettes.

I can almost gauruntee he'll never make a 53 yard and until then he is not as good as Reed and we should re-sign Jeff.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I can almost gauruntee he'll never make a 53 yard and until then he is not as good as Reed and we should re-sign Jeff.

He's already booted a 49yd in the wind with room to spare. Jeff Reed is gone, he couldn't handle the pressure and he folded when we needed him this year. Whatever his issues are he's not our problem anymore. he was great while he was here and most fans enjoyed him being on the team.

Sushi has been playing great and so far there's reason to think he won't have the upper hand this offseason when the Steelers decide which way to go.

LatrobePA
12-23-2010, 04:15 PM

I can almost guarantee you should of stayed in school!!

JensK
12-23-2010, 04:19 PM

First of all, you cannot resign a player from another active roster. Secondly, Jeff had a good run with us, but he sucked badly over the last couple of years with us, costing us games. That is absolutely unacceptable. Most will cope with misses as long as they don't miss with the game on the line, but Jeff missed when it mattered the most.

Plus he did not know how to conduct himself outside of the field; I think we all knew it would end that way sooner or later.

Sushi's been solid so far, and coaches have been smart to not ask him to kick too long FGs. Let's hope we won't rely on him to do so in the POs - Not that I would be more comfortable with Reed in there the way he played for us this year.

StlersGuy
12-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I can almost guarantee you should of stayed in school!!

:lol: well said

*Sent from my HTC EVO using the Now Network using Tapatalk Pro.

greennick
12-23-2010, 04:58 PM
First of all, you cannot resign a player from another active roster. Secondly, Jeff had a good run with us, but he sucked badly over the last couple of years with us, costing us games. That is absolutely unacceptable. Most will cope with misses as long as they don't miss with the game on the line, but Jeff missed when it mattered the most.

Plus he did not know how to conduct himself outside of the field; I think we all knew it would end that way sooner or later.

Sushi's been solid so far, and coaches have been smart to not ask him to kick too long FGs. Let's hope we won't rely on him to do so in the POs - Not that I would be more comfortable with Reed in there the way he played for us this year.

I think this is definitely it. Reed over-stepped the line too many times. When he stopped performing, he became expendable. If he was a model citizen over the past 9 years, we may have stuck with him through his poor form.

SteelDad
12-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I could care less if Reed can make a 53 yarder and Sushi can't. At least Sushi can remain consistent from inside 40 yards....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Mr. Perfect went un perfect tonight missing his first FG since he came to the team. Nobody makes them all and he's been automatic so far till now. I can live with that one miss, it wasn't a game changer and there's no reason to think he'll go into some epic slide like Jeff did.

airbrake 1
12-24-2010, 01:25 AM
the first crack in the armor...i can hear the wolves at the door...all it will take is a miss at crunch time and he will be absolutely despised

StlersGuy
12-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Mr. Perfect went un perfect tonight missing his first FG since he came to the team. Nobody makes them all and he's been automatic so far till now. I can live with that one miss, it wasn't a game changer and there's no reason to think he'll go into some epic slide like Jeff did.

Omg you are telling me he is not perfect and will miss from time to time. J/k I also am not upset with the miss last night. I think he has done a good job since taking over and I feel when it comes down to needing a clust kick made we are better off now then we where with Reed.

*Sent from my HTC EVO using the Now Network using Tapatalk Pro.

steelchamp204
12-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Hey Idc about this miss. He woulda have missed a fg someday. Did you see how mad he was at himself for missing that fg, Jeff would just said "whatever" atleast this kid cares. Im sure he will be kicking alot of fgs this week to prepare himself. Plus he didnt lose me money on the game lastnight, booky thought I was crazy putting money on the steelers since they were giving car. 14 points lmao.

steelersbabex25
12-24-2010, 12:55 PM
I believe I was watching the Pens game at this point in time. How long was the field goal that he missed?

steelchamp204
12-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I believe I was watching the Pens game at this point in time. How long was the field goal that he missed?

Yea I was watching the pens game to until the game came on, then flipped back in forth. But Babe, it was a 41 yard I believe from the left hash mark.

steelersbabex25
12-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Yea I was watching the pens game to until the game came on, then flipped back in forth. But Babe, it was a 41 yard I believe from the left hash mark.

That's not horrible. Especially if it was towards the open end. Hopefully he got that one miss out of his system.

steelchamp204
12-24-2010, 03:06 PM
It was towards the closed end and it was way off, pushed it to much, but I think he will be ok. Im not sold on him yet until he gets a few more game winners under his belt.

Scorp
12-27-2010, 12:56 PM
By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 27, 2010

Shaun Suisham shares similarities with Jeff Reed, from a fast start in their first six games as the Steelers' kicker to a passion for the Penguins.

If Suisham has learned anything from his predecessor, it's to not complain about the conditions at Heinz Field.

″It's what you would expect, kicking in December outdoors on a natural surface,″ Suisham said. ″There's certainly wind out there. It's just part of kicking here in Pittsburgh.″

So far it's been mostly all good.

Other than a 41-yard attempt that sailed wide right against Carolina on Thursday, Suisham has made a seamless transition from free agent to replacement for one of the most reliable kickers in club history.

″He's been on the money,″ running back Rashard Mendenhall said. ″Whatever the situation, we feel good about him going out there.″

Suisham has played a starring role twice for the Steelers. He converted four field goals of 41 yards or longer, including the game-winner on a 48-yarder, to beat Buffalo, 19-16, in overtime.