PDA

View Full Version : Backing in?

Scorp
12-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Tomlin does not like how the Steelers qualified for the playoffs after losing to the Jets. But they can take care of that and also take away some of the pain of losing Sunday by clinching the division title and the No. 2 seed this week.

"I don't like how it unfolded," Tomlin said. "I feel like you're crawling in on your belly."

The Steelers will win the AFC North Division and clinch the conference's No. 2 seed and the bye that goes with it if they beat the Carolina Panthers Thursday night and the Baltimore Ravens lose Sunday in Cleveland.

If those two outcomes occur, the Steelers would win a tiebreaker against Baltimore for the division title even if they tie at the end of the season. They also would win the tiebreaker for the No. 2 seed against Kansas City, which would be the only other team capable of finishing with the same record as the Steelers. That tiebreaker would be best record against AFC teams and the Chiefs, at 5-5, cannot catch the Steelers, who are 8-3 with one game left against an AFC team, the Browns.

The Steelers and Ravens are tied at 10-4 atop the AFC North Division. The Steelers are 4-1 in the division; the Ravens are 2-2 with two division games left.

"All of the goals we set out for ourselves are still attainable," Tomlin said. "We've got to play ball this week. I still think a division title is in our sights if we handle our business, but it starts with playing good, winning football Thursday night."

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 08:15 AM
I agree. I want us to win out and see no reason why we shouldn't. I don't care what the Ravens do. I want us to beat dominate and beat weak Panthers and Browns teams.

Nolrog
12-22-2010, 08:19 AM
I think it's unlikely that Baltimore loses to Cincy.

Would be nice, though. This way a lot of injured guys could rest (even Ben with his bad foot.)

DIESELMAN
12-22-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't feel that we backed into a playoff spot. We clinched a spot due to some mathematical scenarios that are barely used. Backing into the playoffs is when you lose your last game, that you had to win and get some help from other teams winning and you make the playoffs. We currently sit with the #2 seed, win out and it's all ours. We shouldn't need help from anyone.

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 09:42 AM
We also beat the Ravens in there house. If we lose that game, this is a whole different scerero. Personally, I think both the Steelers and Ravens will win out. Which still will give us the division title.

And as far as last sundays game, the Jets needed that game way more than we did. We still control our own destiny. Had the Jets lost, they may not even make the playoffs.

Scorp
12-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I guess being in is all that matters now. Just handle it thursday and against the browns, then get everybody healthy and ready to stomp some *** in the playoffs. I just hope the Steelers really want it this year.

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I guess being in is all that matters now. Just handle it thursday and against the browns, then get everybody healthy and ready to stomp some *** in the playoffs. I just hope the Steelers really want it this year.

I know, my issue with the Steelers is that they don't seem hungry. I want to see some dominance! I was just listening to Blue Oyster Cult. They have a song called "dominance and submission". I'm thinking "this is what the Steelers need to do". As far as I'm concerned the next two weeks, are teams we should be able to do this too.:cope:

Farrior Fan
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I have zero problem with us losing to the Jets since they had to have that game. IF we do not beat both the Browns and Panthers then there is something really wrong and we will likely be one and done in the playoffs anyways. Give us that 2 seed and a week off and Troy and Aaron back and there is a whole new equation. These next 2 games are absolutely critical. There is no excuse for even allowing the Panthers to come within 14 points. BTW - just heard that Woodley will be lined up against a backup tackle....and since he has been playing much better the past couple of weeks he had better dominate.

jnes1216
12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I have zero problem with us losing to the Jets since they had to have that game. IF we do not beat both the Browns and Panthers then there is something really wrong and we will likely be one and done in the playoffs anyways. Give us that 2 seed and a week off and Troy and Aaron back and there is a whole new equation. These next 2 games are absolutely critical. There is no excuse for even allowing the Panthers to come within 14 points. BTW - just heard that Woodley will be lined up against a backup tackle....and since he has been playing much better the past couple of weeks he had better dominate.

Woodley was against the back up tackle last week too.

Keisel did a nice job with batting down passes last week on the right side. Good to see him back.

Goodfrom55
12-22-2010, 07:40 PM
There's a lot of teams going home that wished they could have "backed in". They're in, that's the bottom line.

tburg68
12-22-2010, 07:46 PM

How can you be ok with the third home loss of the season? I am sick of watching BA call games. I am sick of not protecting the home field.

I don't have much confidence in a long playoff run.

Scorp
12-22-2010, 07:48 PM
I just can't wait to see what type of performance the Steelers are going to give tomorrow. See if my feelings and view point about things change.

Callax
12-23-2010, 06:53 AM
I don't have a problem with Pitt. "backing in" the playoffs. It seems we usually don't catch any breaks in that area
So I will enjoy it until the 2nd season begins...