PDA

View Full Version : All time 10 best steeler players

pimplydan
12-21-2010, 06:44 PM
On the offical steeler site they are announcing that their will be a show on at christmas time.They will select the 10 best players of all time.Many just say that their were too many players to be put on that list.Lets give it a go here and see if anyone can pick the ten best that will be selected.

here is my list: Terry Bradshaw,Lynn Swann,Jack Lambert,Mean Joe Greene,Rod Woodson,Hines Ward,Ben Roethlisberger,Troy Polomalu,Jerome Bettis,Franco Harris.

PIMP

airbrake 1
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
cant see how anyone but Joe Greene will be number 1...Greene was the rock foundation that Chuck Noll built the 70's dynasty upon... 2nd probably Terry Bradshaw can't have a dynasty without a franchise QB, we became painfully aware of this for 26 years between SB XIV and SB XL...go steelers

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 07:04 AM
The list is so big. Mike webster has to be mentioned and Jack Ham. Everyone remembers Lambert because he was the emotional leader. But Jack Ham, in my opinion was the better player. I have a collection of old Steeler games, and Jack Ham was great.

--- Added 12/22/2010 at 06:04 AM ---

And I think Stallworth was a better receiver than Swann. Swann made all the big catches in the big games, but Stallworth had the overall better career. He was bigger and stronger.

Nolrog
12-22-2010, 07:14 AM
That would be a pretty impressive list. I'm not sure there would be many guys that weren't on that 70s team on the list (besides Woodson and Troy.)

Although not players, I'd certainly give special mention to Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher.

jpele
12-22-2010, 07:39 AM
No one's mentioned #70 Ernie Stautner , the only Steeler to have his number retired. I've only ever seen a couple clips of him playing,but would have to believe he was a good one.

ERNIE STAUTNER (1950-63): “What made him was his strength,” said Dan Rooney. “This was a time players didn't have strength, they didn’t lift weights. I remember we were playing the Giants at Forbes Field one time and it was a very close game, and they were moving the ball. He sacked the quarterback three times in a row.” The franchise retired his No. 70 jersey in 1964 following his retirement, and he remains the only Steelers player to have received that honor. The Steel Curtain was one of the greatest defensive lines in NFL history, and Stautner would have taken one of that quartet’s jobs. Hall of Fame Class of 1969.

As for the rest, I could throw a few names out there but find it almost impossible to pick the 10 best. So many to choose from,how many other teams fans have that problem....:)

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Well pre 70's guys, Stautner, John Henry Johnson, Dick Hoak, Andy Russell and Ray Mansfield.( i know the last two played in the 70's, but were also on very poor steelers team. Really only two guys that made transition from 60's teams to 70's teams).

LarryNJ
12-22-2010, 10:39 AM
The list is so big. Mike webster has to be mentioned and Jack Ham. Everyone remembers Lambert because he was the emotional leader. But Jack Ham, in my opinion was the better player. I have a collection of old Steeler games, and Jack Ham was great.

I'd also put Ham ahead of Lambert.

harpo
12-22-2010, 11:52 AM
If I recall correctly, they did a top 10 (or top 20) list a few years ago and Joe Greene was #1.

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Can't forget Mean joe. I agree, I thought Ham was better than Lambert. But wasn't as boisterous. Just simply did his job, and did it very well.

Blazedby92
12-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Greene,Blount,Ham,Lambert,Woodson,Stallworth,Betti s,Webster,Dawson,Ward

Blount had a rule made because of him so he has to be mentioned

Soon to be Ben and Pouncey barring health on Pouncey and I would say because of his splash plays probably Troy

bensshoes
12-22-2010, 03:18 PM

--- Added 12/22/2010 at 06:04 AM ---

And I think Stallworth was a better receiver than Swann. Swann made all the big catches in the big games, but Stallworth had the overall better career. He was bigger and stronger.

what about Mel Blount? :cope:

MDSteel15
12-22-2010, 03:30 PM
1. Joe Greene
2. The 2 Jacks!
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Mel Blount
5. Troy Polamalu
6. Mike Webster
7. LC Greenwood
8. Hines Ward
9. Jerome Bettis
10.Greg Lloyd

steelersbabex25
12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
They're all #1 in my heart.

MDSteel15
12-22-2010, 03:37 PM
1. Joe Greene
2. The 2 Jacks!
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Mel Blount
5. Troy Polamalu
6. Mike Webster
7. LC Greenwood
8. Hines Ward
9. Jerome Bettis
10.Greg Lloyd

Oops... Take out Lloyd and put Rod Woodson in at 9 and move Bubble butt douw to 10!!! :bunny:

steelersbabex25
12-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Here's the "official" Top 10 list:

10. Jerome Bettis
9. Lynn Swann
8. Hines Ward
7. Troy Polamalu
6. Mel Blount
5. Jack Lambert
4. Rod Woodson
3. Franco Harris
2. Terry Bradshaw
1. Mean Joe Greene

No Jack Ham really surprised me. I have a few people on that list I would replace with Jack Ham. I also put Lambert above Rod Woodson. I don't know, a few weird calls.

nuclearchihuahuas
12-24-2010, 09:01 PM

10. Jerome Bettis
9. Lynn Swann
8. Hines Ward
7. Troy Polamalu
6. Mel Blount
5. Jack Lambert
4. Rod Woodson
3. Franco Harris
2. Terry Bradshaw
1. Mean Joe Greene

No Jack Ham really surprised me. I have a few people on that list I would replace with Jack Ham. I also put Lambert above Rod Woodson. I don't know, a few weird calls.

I would replace Swann with Mike Webster

LarryNJ
12-24-2010, 09:04 PM

10. Jerome Bettis
9. Lynn Swann
8. Hines Ward
7. Troy Polamalu
6. Mel Blount
5. Jack Lambert
4. Rod Woodson
3. Franco Harris
2. Terry Bradshaw
1. Mean Joe Greene

Franco is way too high..in fact I'd knock him off and Lynn Swann.

10. Jerome Bettis
9. Mike Webster
8. Hines Ward
7. Troy Polamalu
6. Mel Blount
5. Rod Woodson
4. Jack Lambert
3. Jack Ham
2. Terry Bradshaw
1. Mean Joe Greene

steelersbabex25
12-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Franco is way too high

I said the same thing. My dad and I were watching it together, and after they announced the number 4 pick I said no way Franco is on this list now. He couldn't possibly be in the top 3. But he was. I don't get how you make this list without Ham.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-25-2010, 12:39 AM
No Kordell Stewart or Neil O'Donnell....lol

Ok Bettis over Franco?....I'm not knocking your opinion just surprised you would take Bettis over Franco......

My alltime Steelers list......

1. Mean Joe Greene

2. Terry Bradshaw

3. Mel Blount

4. Franco Harris

5. Rod Woodson

6. Jack Lambert

7. Jack Ham

8. Hines Ward

9. Mike Webster

10. Jerome Bettis

KSSteelerfan
12-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Frenchy Fuqua, Franco Harris, Lynn Swan, Louis Lipps, Mel Blount, Mean Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Terry Bradshaw, Rocky Bleier.....some of my faves...

SChip
12-25-2010, 02:22 PM
what about Mel Blount? :cope:

It's been bantered about on other boards that the list is infused with current players to placate the fans that may not necessarily know Ernie Stuatner is the only Steeler to have his jersey retired or Mel Blount dominated the position for years and basically changed the rules of football single handedly.

IMHO Troy is a great athlete but has not yet put himself above the great players in the history of the team. He still is 50/50 to miss his assignment or pull off a spectacular play and has yet to prove he is not too fragile to put in a full season on the field.

DanRooney
12-25-2010, 03:36 PM
10. Terry Bradshaw
9. Lynn Swann
8. Terry Bradshaw
7. Hines Ward
6. Ben Roethlisberger
5. Mel Blount
4. Rod Woodson
3. Troy Polamalu
2. Jack Lambert
1. Mean Joe Greene

Scorp
12-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Very debateable list. You can't agree or probably disagree with it. I would definitely make some changes personally. They should have made it 15.

steelersbabex25
12-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Very debateable list. You can't agree or probably disagree with it. I would definitely make some changes personally. They should have made it 15.

They couldn't have made it 15. The top 10 was a product of NFL Network. They've done a bunch of top 10s and they wouldn't change it just for the Steeler list.

Scorp
12-25-2010, 11:47 PM
They couldn't have made it 15. The top 10 was a product of NFL Network. They've done a bunch of top 10s and they wouldn't change it just for the Steeler list.

I know babe. Guess they wanted to make it debateable. Make it the talk of the week.

pimplydan
12-26-2010, 02:46 AM
I am pretty proud about my picks.I tried to pick what I believed the network would pick and I got 9 out of 10.
only difference was they picked Mel Blount and I picked Ben Roethlisberger.
I perhaps forgot how outstanding Mel Blount was,although I do remember him as being one of my favourite steelers back then.
However you have to acknowledge the fact that Ben Roethlisberger was the young QB that lead the steelers not to 1 but 2 Superbowl Championships,for me that is a huge accomplishment.
I guess after Ben brings us superbowl 7 he will be on their list!

PIMP::crossfingers:

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Well pre 70's guys, Stautner, John Henry Johnson, Dick Hoak, Andy Russell and Ray Mansfield.( i know the last two played in the 70's, but were also on very poor steelers team. Really only two guys that made transition from 60's teams to 70's teams).

You can't forget Eugene "Big Daddy" Lipscomb. "The best man I ever saw at knocking people down," from Pittsburgh coach Buddy Parker.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1014947/index.htm#ixzz19EbZxM2Z.

Infact there are Hundreds of Steelers that could make the top ten. Which one do you want. LOL.

steelersbabex25
12-26-2010, 11:42 AM
The fact of the matter is that when you have a franchise like the Steelers, and you can only pick 10 of their best players from 78ish years, there's bound to be some dissapointments, and there's bound to be some great players that get left out.

steelchamp204
12-26-2010, 09:38 PM
My list.

1. Joe Greene
2. Jack Ham
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Jack Lambert
5. Mel Blount
6. Franco Harris
7. Rod Woodson
8. Mike Webster
9. Hines Ward
10. Jerome Bettis.

I think Ham was alot better than Lambert just without the nasty attitude and vocalism Jack had to intimidate opponets that much much. But Hammy was a way better lb.