PDA

View Full Version : Would cowher's legacy be tarnished?

xxxsteelernation
12-21-2010, 04:38 PM
again now that the season is ending, there is talks of cowher coming back, and i guess houston, minnesota, and new york are in the mix maybe carolina or dallas. But this is my opinion. cowher will always be rememberd as a steeler and i just don't thin it would sit right with me to see him on an opposing sidleline after 15 years on our sideline. I just think he should just stay an announcer and let it be. I would hate to have cowher somehow knock us out or a playoff or even beat us.. it would just seem sacrilegious.
whats your thoughts?

airbrake 1
12-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Cowher should do whatever he wants to do...when he retired using the it's to spend more time with the family line, i was skeptical...Now i can see my skepticism was not justified...His wife was ill , it's really unbelievable that they were able to keep her illness so private, so good for them i sure wouldn't have wanted to go through something like that in the public spotlight... I just hope Bill doesn't go to a team in our division, because he would make them a threat to us, but i really don't see him going to cleveland or cincinnati and the baltimore job doesn't look to be available any time soon...go steelers

Zachintosh66
12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
No way will his "legacy" be tarnished... once he comes back Steeler Nation will realize how bad Tomlin really is...

Goodfrom55
12-21-2010, 05:40 PM
He would be a excellent fit in Houston. . .Good QB, solid Running game and a defense with talent, but needs a new philosophy.

Lunchbucket
12-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Cowher should do whatever he wants to do...when he retired using the it's to spend more time with the family line, i was skeptical...Now i can see my skepticism was not justified...His wife was ill , it's really unbelievable that they were able to keep her illness so private, so good for them i sure wouldn't have wanted to go through something like that in the public spotlight... I just hope Bill doesn't go to a team in our division, because he would make them a threat to us, but i really don't see him going to cleveland or cincinnati and the baltimore job doesn't look to be available any time soon...go steelers

God bless Coach Cowher and what he's dealt with the last few years,If the man wants to coach again ,what is the problem? Who knows,we may even get him back here!:hilarious:

airbrake 1
12-21-2010, 05:54 PM
again now that the season is ending, there is talks of cowher coming back, and i guess houston, minnesota, and new york are in the mix maybe carolina or dallas. But this is my opinion. cowher will always be rememberd as a steeler and i just don't thin it would sit right with me to see him on an opposing sidleline after 15 years on our sideline. I just think he should just stay an announcer and let it be. I would hate to have cowher somehow knock us out or a playoff or even beat us.. it would just seem sacrilegious.
whats your thoughts?

the question you ask in the thread title and the question on the poll are different...some people may have not noticed this you might get some inaccurate data...i think i may have voted incorrectly ...will bill cowher's legacy be tarnished =no....should he return= yes if he wants to

Lunchbucket
12-21-2010, 05:58 PM
the question you ask in the thread title and the question on the poll are different...some people may have not noticed this you might get some inaccurate data...i think i may have voted incorrectly ...will bill cowher's legacy be tarnished =no....should he return= yes if he wants to

ooops,I messed up too voted the wrong way:banging:,thanks for pointing this out. Of course Bill Cowher should coach again if he chooses.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Cowher needs to move on, he does great on CBS but his place is on the sidelines though IMO. He'll get the itch sooner or later and I'm sure he'll be successful when he comes back. He'll always be a Steeler at heart and the fans will always be appreciative for finally getting that 1 for the thumb.

Steel Trap86
12-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Cowher needs to get the hell out of broadcasting and back to coaching. I heard just yesterday that Miami wants him and will give him the big bucks.

Clevelandsux
12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
As long as he doesn't coach in our division.

lloydfan4life
12-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Cowher will always have Black & Gold flowing through his veins no matter where he coaches. You can't be a part of the Steelers for as long as he was and not hold a special place in your heart for the team, the owners and the fans.

I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do. :cope:

Scorp
12-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Scorp agrees with all who say that Cowher belongs on the sideline. This magnificent man has so much to give to any talented young team that is hungry to win and has the desire to win. Cowher will show that he still can be a great coach after sitting out for several years. Once again, i wish him the best where ever he ends up.

aaronsmith91
12-21-2010, 11:29 PM
ooops,I messed up too voted the wrong way:banging:,thanks for pointing this out. Of course Bill Cowher should coach again if he chooses.

yeah I made the same mistake. Cower could murder a puppy and I would still think he is great!

Moondog
12-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Cowher's the man, I wish him well as long as he does not go to our division. He gave the Steelers some exciting years after the mediocre eighties. Of course he'll always be a Steeler...he was born and raised in Pittsburgh. I remember at his resignation press conference he said something like " you can take the boy out of Pittsburgh, but you can't take the Pittsburgh out of the boy and yinz know what I'm talking about."
God bless Coach Cowher! :tt02:

LarryNJ
12-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Of course he'll always be a Steeler...he was born and raised in Pittsburgh. I remember at his resignation press conference he said something like " you can take the boy out of Pittsburgh, but you can't take the Pittsburgh out of the boy and yinz know what I'm talking about."
God bless Coach Cowher!

I agree with God Bless him, I wish him nothing but the best and I have a soft spot for what he went thru with his wife.

The first part I believe is BS and he proved it when the Pens played Carolina in the playoffs. Root for them all you want it's fine, until they play your home team. That is what a Pittsburgh guy would do.

I believe that he is way over rated as a coach. He finally did get it together one year and won a SB. But he also blew many playoff games where he had a more talented team that should have won and was simply out coached. Mainly by being predictable, the same thing everyone is bitching about today. He was sort of like the Peyton Manning of coaches. A good regular season coach but always choked when the stakes got bigger. I don't think he'll hurt that legacy.

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 06:54 AM
I think Cowher, if he coaches again will coach the Panthers.

I always respected Cowhers enthusiasm, but I wouldn't want him to return as coach of the Steelers. I doubt he will repeat his success that he had with the Steelers.

One thing Tomlin doesn't have is Cowhers balls. For instance last week, Flozell Adams gets in a fight. Cowher would have pulled Adams by his facemask and got in his face.

Blazedby92
12-22-2010, 07:14 AM
I believe that he is way over rated as a coach. He finally did get it together one year and won a SB. But he also blew many playoff games where he had a more talented team that should have won and was simply out coached. Mainly by being predictable, the same thing everyone is bitching about today. He was sort of like the Peyton Manning of coaches. A good regular season coach but always choked when the stakes got bigger. I don't think he'll hurt that legacy.

WOW, that is EXACTLY how I would of put it, WAY overrated, it's a good thing he had good D coordinators, Same for MT, The both of them are descent motivators but good coaches not really. It wasn't Cowhers team that MT took to the SB it was more of Kevin Colbert's team.

Nolrog
12-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Why would his legacy be tarnished? Would coming back to Carolina or Texas change what he accomplished in Pittsburgh?

greg1964
12-22-2010, 07:50 AM
In Houston, or N.C. I could root for him to do well: (Except when his team play the Steelers') Dallas, or S.F I could never root for him, because I don't ever want them to tie or surpass the Steelers in Super Bowl wins.

But he will NEVER experience anything like Steelers Nation again:

steelchamp204
12-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Id like to see him go to the giants, put sme discipline in that team, Itd be special to see him come back to pitt, **** tomlin lmao

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't think Cowher will pull a Brett Favre and return to our division. Cowher left the Steelers in good terms, and doesn't have a beef with them like Favre did Green Bay.

And as much as Clowns fans want to believe he'll be there next coach, I don't see it. I don't think he will go anywhere where he won't have full control and won't have success. This singles out Cleveland and Dallas in my book.

LatrobePA
12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Who cares what he does...He's not an instant result for any team, give him 15 years, maybe he'll have a title!!

Zachintosh66
12-22-2010, 10:23 AM
if someone like NYG fire Tom... wouldnt BC jump all over it? Major city, Good Def, Good QB #just sayin

LarryNJ
12-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Who cares what he does...He's not an instant result for any team, give him 15 years, maybe he'll have a title!!

Up until the year he finally changed his approach and won here is what we had to deal with.

Almost all of Pittsburgh’s playoff success had come against borderline playoff teams. In the Cowher Era postseason, Pittsburgh was:
2-7 against division winners
6-2 against wild-card teams
1-9 against teams that went 11-5 or better in the regular season
7-0 against teams that went 10-6 or 9-7 in the regular season
Under Cowher, the Steelers had NEVER won a playoff game against a team that won its division and had a record of 11-5 or better.

Hardly a great coach, over rated for sure. Hard headed who thinks he's better than he was. If he gets a job where he has total control including personal he will probably fail miserably. Lest we forget the 4 losses in the AFC championship games when we were favored.

Scorp
12-22-2010, 11:02 AM

I pray that was not a cheap shot Latrobe. :grin1: Remember O'donnell in super bowl XXX? Threw it all away. Cowher would have had a title much earlier in his career if it were not for Neil.....Bastard.

LatrobePA
12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I pray that was not a cheap shot Latrobe. :grin1: Remember O'donnell in super bowl XXX? Threw it all away. Cowher would have had a title much earlier in his career if it were not for Neil.....Bastard.

Call me a cheap bastard! lol

O'donnell was payed to throw that game....:banana:

Scorp
12-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Call me a cheap bastard! lol

O'donnell was payed to throw that game....:banana:

I feel and felt the exact same way Bro. Gggrrrrrr. :cursin:

LarryNJ
12-22-2010, 11:13 AM
It wasn't a cheap shot..he was simply stating facts.

steelchamp204
12-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I was seven when I watched that sb, All i remember saying to my dad was "what the heck is this guy doing" lmao

LarryNJ
12-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Cowher would have had a title much earlier in his career if... he was a better coach
:lol::lol::lol:

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Under Cowher, the Steelers had NEVER won a playoff game against a team that won its division and had a record of 11-5 or better.[QUOte}

Not true. in 2005 we won all 3 games on the road vs division champs. Bengals 11-5, Colts 14-2, and Broncos 13-3. Plus the seahawks in the super bowl 13-3.

I do believe part of Cowhers problem was he didn't have a descent qb until Ben arrived in 2004. I'm not here to bash Cowher. He revived this franchise after the meager 80's. But wouldn't wish him back either.

LarryNJ
12-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Not true. in 2005 we won all 3 games on the road vs division champs. Bengals 11-5, Colts 14-2, and Broncos 13-3. Plus the seahawks in the super bowl 13-3.

It is true..you missed the 1st sentance.

Up until the year he finally changed his approach and won here is what we had to deal with.

Finally in 2005 he wasn't as predictable, we came out doing something different. That's why we won. It took him a long time to figure that out.

I'm not bashing him either..he did a good job. Great job no, over rated yes.

Blazedby92
12-22-2010, 12:09 PM

"IF" my Aunt had balls she would have been my Uncle.

LOL Very True

LatrobePA
12-22-2010, 12:35 PM
<QUOTE> If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

I love it, that's what I want my headstone to read!!

Blazedby92
12-23-2010, 02:08 AM
One of my favorite lines but all to true also, lol

greg1964
12-23-2010, 07:15 AM
I'm not going to bush Cowher, but I will say:
Lost AFC championship game when favored against Chargers (1994)
Lost AFC championship game when favored against Denver (1999)
Lost AFC championship game when favored against Pats. (twice) (2001 and 2004)
Lost SB when QB throws two int, but was down by 13 mid way through 3rd quarter (1995)

ALMOST lost AFC championship game to a weaker Colt team (1995)
Should have lost a divisional playoff game against the Jets (2004)

Their is no telling how Cowher would be been received if he had an QB like Ben back in those days, But if the QB he had was good enough to get them to these big games, they were good enough to win these big game. And remember, the Steelers were favored in ALL the game listed above.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
What legacy. Remember O'donnell x2? Anywhere but back to Pittsburgh. Life goes on.

pimplydan
12-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Just let the guy do what he loves.He was great as a Steeler coach,he finally won us a Superbowl after some 25yrs.
I would love to see him win another Superbowl,I love him as a coach and person,I wish it upon him to relive the joy of building another champion team.
Of course I wouln't like to see his new team knock of my beloved steelers but if thats to happen.Soul be it!
If he ever coachs a team,I will have a second favourite team,maybe:thinking:

greennick
12-23-2010, 04:43 PM
No way will his "legacy" be tarnished... once he comes back Steeler Nation will realize how bad Tomlin really is...

How do you figure that? Even if he comes back and coaches another team to a championship, how will that affect people's perception of Tomlin??

Black@Gold Forever32
12-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Bill Cowher.....lol I was one of the fans that wanted Cowher to go.....I was fed up with Cowher after the 2001 AFC title game vs the Pats.....Overall I liked Cowher and when I was growing up in the 90s I really liked Cowher....lol I'm still a Cowher fan but people are asking about his legacy.....What is his legacy exactly?.....He was a very good football coach no doubt but he wasn't Chuck Noll in terms of legacy.........

So no I don't think Cowher's legacy will be tarnished and I think he has the right to coach another team if he wants.......It was time for a change when he resigned after the 2006 season........Especially when it came to light about his wife and hear illness which led to her death......

LarryNJ
12-23-2010, 06:07 PM
:plus1::plus1:
Well said B&G

jnes1216
12-23-2010, 06:36 PM
I think he should return to the sideline if he wants. As a fan, I enjoy him on pre-game CBS. I think if he had a choice, he'd go to San Diego.