PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward

roosterray
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Being out here on the Northleft coast we don't get to see alot of Steelers Games on TV. Anyways, I'm curious to hear from SA fans who see more games, what is going on with Ward? Is it age? slower? or more a fact of BA's crappy plays with no underneath routes? Hines being doubled and teams forcing Ben to throw to the young kids? Lack of commitment to the running game and play action? What are you seeing?

nuclearchihuahuas
12-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Being out here on the Northleft coast we don't get to see alot of Steelers Games on TV. Anyways, I'm curious to hear from SA fans who see more games, what is going on with Ward? Is it age? slower? or more a fact of BA's crappy plays with no underneath routes? Hines being doubled and teams forcing Ben to throw to the young kids? Lack of commitment to the running game and play action? What are you seeing?

Hines hasn't been a big part of the offense lately thats true enough...I think its because they are trying for the big play with the speedy receivers and using Hines as a decoy.

steelchamp204
12-21-2010, 12:21 PM
The only time hines really get involved anymore is when the play breaks down and he finds a hole in the coverage.

franchise3
12-21-2010, 01:12 PM
A little bit of everything. Not sure why more plays are not designed for him as he still has the ability to be a factor.

Goodfrom55
12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Hines obviuosly is not what he used to be regarding speed, but he has never been smarter at reading defenses and finding soft spots in zone defenses. I don't believe he is a #1 receiver anymore, in fact, I would think he is more of a #3 behind Wallace and Sanders. In the slot, I think Hines would clean up because he's not afraid to go over the middle.

LatrobePA
12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Hines was under used Sunday....

DanRooney
12-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Spaeth was used too much and Wallace and Sanders weren't used enough. Hines is Hines. He needs an eon of time to get open. He shouldn't be on the field on all downs.

Goodfrom55
12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Keep in mind Ben tends to throw to the open receiver. Jets secondary didn't do a bad job Sunday (when it counted). I thought he targeted Spaeth a little much too (is Miller open like that all the time?). Would have loved to see Ben roll right on the last play of game, but I guess (you) espace where (you) can.

And it's definitely a mistake to have to receivers (Spaeth and Sanders) in the same spot in end zone. All part of the maturity process for Sanders and Spaeth (yes he's a veteran, but doesn't get to play much).

steeldoc
12-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Calm down. Hines had modest numbers because he was always covered. The younger quicker guys were open more frequently, and Spaeth is a giant and a mismatch for most linebackers because of his size. Hines is a very very valuable part of this team. Don't for a second forget that Wallace and Saunders and Brown might be open because defenses have to worry about this guy.

Goodfrom55
12-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I agree with that because he is a cerebral player who knows how to get open, so most teams take him away with double coverage. When they don't, he gets 7 catches for 115 yards, etc. He's not what he used to be, but I'd still take him over anyone when the game is on the line.

pimplydan
12-21-2010, 07:31 PM
hines is still the go to guy on 3rd down near the endzone on the quick post route.
hines will get open when Ben is buying time on brokendown plays,in those soft spot or on comebacks.

hines will still strutterstep and ram an opponent Hines style.

hines is on the list for all time 10 best steeler player.

coldrolled
12-22-2010, 12:58 AM
seriously we take mendy out on every 3rd down.

roosterray
12-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Calm down. Hines had modest numbers because he was always covered. The younger quicker guys were open more frequently, and Spaeth is a giant and a mismatch for most linebackers because of his size. Hines is a very very valuable part of this team. Don't for a second forget that Wallace and Saunders and Brown might be open because defenses have to worry about this guy.

Curious who the calm down was meant for. My question was in regards to observation from people who have seen the games, I'm not freaking out like alot of posts on here. I'm not able to see a lot of games and was asking for input on what people are witnessing. I'm assuming its cause other teams would rather force an inexperienced player beat them and take away Ben's safety net. The sky isn't falling, the jets aren't that good if we have Troy, and Hines is my favorite player, next to Bettis. I asked the question because SA fans tell it like it really is.

aaronsmith91
12-22-2010, 03:12 AM
He is still the best blocking receiver on this team if not the league. He had some great blocks against the jets in the run and pass after another receiver caught the ball

Dean Denton
12-22-2010, 07:10 AM
He is still the best blocking receiver on this team if not the league. He had some great blocks against the jets in the run and pass after another receiver caught the ball I agree...

Clevelandsux
12-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Hines was under used Sunday....

Agree! He had a few catches in the first half, then you didn't even hear his name is the second half.

I love hines, but yes he has been slowing down. He never was fast. But he has left alot out on the field this year. Fumbles, drops etc.

steelersbabex25
12-22-2010, 04:42 PM
:wtf: Hines is still good to me. He's never been the tallest or fastest receiver on the field but he comes up with the big plays and catches when he needs to. Arians is changing the offense to utilize guys like Sanders and Wallace. Hines hasn't got many chances this year.