PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Hopes rest with Troy Polamalu

Scorp
12-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Here is the harsh truth about the Steelers: Their 2010 season rests on the Achilles of Troy Polamalu.

Pittsburgh played without its star safety Sunday and suffered a 22-17 loss to the New York Jets. It was further proof the Steelers (10-4), who clinched a playoff berth despite the loss, won't go very far unless their do-it-all safety gets healthy. Polamalu is expected to rest his Achilles in the final two regular season games and return for the postseason.

Usually in the NFL, the quarterback is the team's most important player, but the Steelers are one of the few exceptions. Pittsburgh went 3-1 without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger earlier this season. Yet, the Steelers are 5-7 without Polamalu dating to last season when he missed 11 games with a knee injury.

Pittsburgh looks ordinary without Polamalu -- and very beatable.

The Steelers didn't play nearly as aggressively on defense against the Jets, who entered the game having not scored an offensive touchdown in nine quarters. That drought ended in this game as Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez completed 65.5 percent of his passes and played efficient and mistake-free football.

The Jets also ran for 106 yards against the Steelers, who entered the game with the top-ranked rushing defense in the league, allowing an average of 60 yards a game.

Entering the game, Pittsburgh had forced 30 turnovers this season, but it didn't get any against the Jets. The Steelers' defense also had only one sack, which is a very important ingredient to their success.

"[The game] is not really called differently," Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden said. "It's just sometimes it looks real different when [Polamalu] is not on the field. That's probably the biggest difference."

Every time Pittsburgh needed a big play this season, Polamalu was there. But when Polamalu wasn't in the lineup against the Jets, the Steelers seemed a step behind. Pittsburgh will have to adjust for the final two games against the Carolina Panthers (2-12) and Cleveland Browns (5-9).

"Is he the best defensive player in the league, according to me? Without a doubt," Steelers safety Ryan Clark said of Polamalu. "Have I ever played with anybody like him? Not even close. But you can't put that all on him. Guys that are on the field have to be accountable."

Pittsburgh probably will beat up on bad teams these next two weeks without Polamalu. But the difference between a quick playoff exit or another deep postseason run starts and ends with No. 43.

franchise3
12-20-2010, 01:15 PM
I think we would have a better chance of winning with Ben and without Troy than vice versa...

steelersbabex25
12-20-2010, 02:51 PM
This isn't anything new. We all know this. Troy Polamalu is the glue that holds the defense together, and without him, they fall apart.

scott0326
12-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Well it also sounds like Aaron Smith is going to be back for the first game of playoffs.. so even with them out now.. as long as they can rest and get healthy for the playoffs, we should be completely fine.

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
They aren't ruling Troy out for Thursday...

scott0326
12-20-2010, 04:37 PM
They aren't ruling Troy out for Thursday...

I'm not really optimistic he's going to play though.

Goodfrom55
12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Obviously the loss causes the Steelers to win out to secure the #2 seed and a 1st round bye. Carolina is horrible and although Cleveland has been competitive, it looks to me like they are beginning to fall apart so 2 wins should not be impossible.

Hopefully Troy has a good practice week and hopefully the Steelers don't need him. I dress him and see what happens. If the Steelers gain control early on vs the Panthers, then Troy comes out. It's not that Mundy was horrible, but he wasn't Troy.

No one wants to think about this, but as Troy contiinues playing and getting a little "older" it might be time in the next year or 2 to spend a high drfat pick on a strong safety and not think about drafting for depth by picking some Safety from Mary Kay school of cosmetology to back up Troy and/ or Clark.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
I would rest Troy this week against Carolina and give him an extra 10 days so that he is ready for the Browns game in Cleveland if it indeed does mean something the day after New Years...

MDSteel15
12-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Let's just pray that Heath is back because there is no doubt in my mind he would have made that catch in the corner!!! :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I would rest Troy this week against Carolina and give him an extra 10 days so that he is ready for the Browns game in Cleveland if it indeed does mean something the day after New Years...

Was thinking that too, but given the way the Panthers love to run we are going to need him big time. He's as important to stopping the run as anybody on that team. If he can go I would love to see him out there.

DanRooney
12-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Obviously the loss causes the Steelers to win out to secure the #2 seed and a 1st round bye. Carolina is horrible and although Cleveland has been competitive, it looks to me like they are beginning to fall apart so 2 wins should not be impossible.

Hopefully Troy has a good practice week and hopefully the Steelers don't need him. I dress him and see what happens. If the Steelers gain control early on vs the Panthers, then Troy comes out. It's not that Mundy was horrible, but he wasn't Troy.

No one wants to think about this, but as Troy contiinues playing and getting a little "older" it might be time in the next year or 2 to spend a high drfat pick on a strong safety and not think about drafting for depth by picking some Safety from Mary Kay school of cosmetology to back up Troy and/ or Clark.

How about getting a good free safety first.

UKSTEELER
12-21-2010, 05:04 AM

That ain't happening anytime soon, DL loves Ryan for some reason, there must have been some serious *** kissing involved to make him re-sign . . . :eek1:

steelchamp204
12-21-2010, 05:40 AM
That ain't happening anytime soon, DL loves Ryan for some reason, there must have been some serious *** kissing involved to make him re-sign . . . :eek1:

Yea ryan is horrible in coverage and is kinda a waste on defense, I like his attitude he brings on the field but he needs to stop taking shots at the nfl on twitter and stuff lmao. I just think we need a good cover corner go go alongside ike nxt year and draft a dl or two. If we win this week against the panthers I would mind seeing Worlids and Sylvester get some good playing time in agaisnt cleveland. Anyone think that would be a good idea to get these young guys some reps?

UKSTEELER
12-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Yea ryan is horrible in coverage and is kinda a waste on defense, I like his attitude he brings on the field but he needs to stop taking shots at the nfl on twitter and stuff lmao. I just think we need a good cover corner go go alongside ike nxt year and draft a dl or two. If we win this week against the panthers I would mind seeing Worlids and Sylvester get some good playing time in agaisnt cleveland. Anyone think that would be a good idea to get these young guys some reps?

I've got my fingers crossed that the Browns game becomes meaningless, It'd be great to see these two get some playing time . . . Sylvester could be worked at OLB as Fox and Foote would likely take over inside . . .

Be good to see Butler, and can we finally see Lewis extended as from what we've seen so far in limited time isn't a great reflection on him . . . :cope:

steelchamp204
12-21-2010, 05:53 AM
I've got my fingers crossed that the Browns game becomes meaningless, It'd be great to see these two get some playing time . . . Sylvester could be worked at OLB as Fox and Foote would likely take over inside . . .

Be good to see Butler, and can we finally see Lewis extended as from what we've seen so far in limited time isn't a great reflection on him . . . :cope:

I think sylvester is gnna be the next great steelers lb, I just have a feeling. Hes always up in guys faces and defending his tms on special team, I really think he will be Like a brian urlacher, but a better tackler and sacker.

UKSTEELER
12-21-2010, 06:12 AM
I think sylvester is gnna be the next great steelers lb, I just have a feeling. Hes always up in guys faces and defending his tms on special team, I really think he will be Like a brian urlacher, but a better tackler and sacker.

I think he'd benefit from bulking out a bit, similar to what Timmons has, but apart from that, he's looked dynamic . . .

. . . . one way to find out, . . . play the dude!
:helmet:

coldrolled
12-21-2010, 08:01 AM

picking 28th - 32nd again this year we will need to get a FA CB and maybe S

the draft will be light at our pick, last year was a double year draft this year logically would be thinner... especially picking at 30-32

steelchamp204
12-21-2010, 11:28 AM
picking 28th - 32nd again this year we will need to get a FA CB and maybe S

the draft will be light at our pick, last year was a double year draft this year logically would be thinner... especially picking at 30-32

I wish we could trade one of our talents to another team so we can get 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders and and extra third rounder, sorta like the pats.

coldrolled
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I wish we could trade one of our talents to another team so we can get 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders and and extra third rounder, sorta like the pats.

The pats planned a good draft last year. they were thinking forward...

We need to go FA for a few good men..

Zachintosh66
12-21-2010, 11:37 AM

who would you trade?

LatrobePA
12-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Woodley to the Raiders for their CB (can't spell his name)!!

franchise3
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM

I would take that...

xxxsteelernation
12-21-2010, 07:51 PM
As i was watching the jets game and any game that troy misses the secondary just don't take any chances as in goin for picks or anything. i also noticed that woodly was pass rushing 85% of the time. am i the only one noticing this? it's like they sit back and wait for catches to be made.

Scorp
12-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Nnamdi Asomugha. Would definitely take that. :yellowthumb: We already secured a playoff spot with some help, but we need to stay on top of the ratbirds. Patriots are going to be our only threat in the playoffs and we need all of our guys to be healthy as possible. It's really do or die to me.

mwittman5
12-21-2010, 08:11 PM
I would take that...

me too. A secondary of starting corners asomugha and taylor, with polamalu and clark as the safeties would be sick! Add to that harrison and timmons rushing the QB. :tt02:

Real Deal Steel
12-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Totally agree. If they can't win without Troy against the Panthers, then they deserve to lose.

LatrobePA
12-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Nnamdi Asomugha. Would definitely take that. :yellowthumb: We already secured a playoff spot with some help, but we need to stay on top of the ratbirds. Patriots are going to be our only threat in the playoffs and we need all of our guys to be healthy as possible. It's really do or die to me.

The packs layed the blueprint to beat the pats...