PDA

View Full Version : > Backup tight end Spaeth stunned by two key drops

Scorp
12-20-2010, 12:50 PM
The Steelers were without two of their best players Sunday against the Jets. Safety Troy Polamalu and tight end Heath Miller were out because of injuries.

Their backups played solid football but both were kicking themselves for not making big plays in the fourth quarter that could have turned the game in the Steelers' favor.

Matt Spaeth replaced Miller and caught three passes for 27 yards and a touchdown, but a pass in the back of the end zone with two seconds remaining hit his hands and fell incomplete. On the final play of the game, Spaeth once again had a chance to make the winning catch, but Ben Roethlisberger's pass deflected off of his body and fell out of bounds.

"I thought I played a real good game, a solid game," Spaeth said. "Unfortunately, at the end, I couldn't make the big play. I couldn't be the hero."

Spaeth, a fourth-year player from the University of Minnesota, thought he had a better chance of catching the first throw which, Roethlisberger said, was intended for Emmanuel Sanders.

"I'm going to bounce back from this," Spaeth said. "Obviously, I'm very disappointed. I feel like I let a lot of people down."

Ryan Mundy, a third-year pro from West Virginia and Woodland Hills High School, made his first career start in place of Polamalu. Mundy had one solo tackle, three assists and one pass defended, but he missed on a possible sack when he came free off the edge midway through the fourth quarter on a key third-down play. That missed tackle led to a Mark Sanchez completion to Braylon Edwards, and the Jets kicked the go-ahead field goal later in the drive.

"I came in a little out of control," Mundy said. "I probably should have gathered myself a little better. He stepped up in the pocket and made the play."

Scorp
12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Matt Spaeth watched it all slip through his hands, just as Ben Roethlisberger's passes escaped his grasp in the end zone.

The Steelers tight end had a chance to provide a thrilling end to Sunday's game against the New York Jets, to bookend his first touchdown reception of the season with a game-winner in the final nine seconds.

And he dropped the ball -- twice.

A stunned Spaeth was apologetic after the Steelers' 22-17 loss to the Jets at Heinz Field, knowing he could have capped an 82-yard drive in the final 2:08 with a 10-yard touchdown catch.

″I could have been the hero,″ said Spaeth, starting a second consecutive game for Heath Miller (concussion). ″Guys made plays all day, especially on that last drive, and it was my turn to step up and make a play, and I couldn't do it.″

A scrambling Roethlisberger looked for his tallest target twice in the final two plays, although the 6-foot-7, 270-pound Spaeth cut in front of intended receiver Emmanuel Sanders in the back of the end zone on second-and-goal from the 10 only to let the pass go through his hands.

″It was a great throw,″ Spaeth said. ″I should have caught it.″

With two seconds left, Roethlisberger lofted a pass to Spaeth in the left corner of the end zone, but the tight end bobbled the ball before cornerback Marquice Cole broke up the play as time expired.

Roethlisberger, however, would hear nothing about Spaeth being the goat.

″I would never blame Matt,″ Roethlisberger said. ″I thought he made a great effort. He played a great game today. He made a lot of big-time catches, big-time plays. He did a great job of stepping up, not knowing especially if Heath is going to play. I'll take this one on me because I need to make more big plays. Never blame those guys or anybody else. It's on me.″

The Jets had struggled to contain tight ends all season, allowing 100-yard games to New England's Aaron Hernandez (six catches for 101) and Houston's Joel Dreessen (four for 106). Spaeth's 9-yard touchdown catch of a Roethlisberger frozen rope between two defenders capped a 16-play, 96-yard drive to tie the game at 7-7 midway through the first quarter, but he finished with just three receptions for 27 yards despite being targeted eight times.

Spaeth was hoping for a big game but didn't deliver what Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would call a ″Heath-like″ performance.

″Heath's an unbelievable player. We missed him today, but I felt like I had a good chance to step up and fill in his shoes,″ Spaeth said. ″Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way in the end.″

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 12:57 PM
As he should be! You're paid to catch the ball....

mwittman5
12-20-2010, 01:03 PM
sometimes you learn lessons the hard way. Better to learn now than in a playoff game. Keep your head up Matt

coldrolled
12-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Would we have thrown to heath eight times?? we pick the day heath is out to use a TE as a WR who cant catch?? did a receiver ever get a short slant route called over the middle? the good thing is. the pats, saints, jets, ravens, falcons have not seen our real offense yet this year... arians must be hiding it for the playoffs.

mwittman5
12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Would we have thrown to heath eight times?? we pick the day heath is out to use a TE as a WR who cant catch?? did a receiver ever get a short slant route called over the middle? the good thing is. the pats, saints, jets, ravens, falcons have not seen our real offense yet this year... arians must be hiding it for the playoffs.

speaking of hiding, one advantage of not having troy yesterday is if there is a playoff rematch we know what they do on D but they dont really know what we do on D bcz troy was out

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 01:09 PM

LMAO! He's hiding it alright, in his ***!!

Rumor has it the safety was intentional..

franchise3
12-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Rumor has it the safety was intentional..

Nice.
:lol:

stratocaster68
12-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Maybe if Arians would use Spaeth more as receiver than as a blocker (which he's lousy at) he'd be more used to catching the ball under game conditions.

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Or use him to powerwash the sidewalks via his ****...Seems he's good at that! lol

steeldoc
12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Injuries are the reason the Steelers lost, not the effort of those who played. It's also the reason to worry about the post season. both starting O tackles, Smith, Troy. Just too much to overcome and the Jets were better prepared. That said, who gave the Steelers ANY chance at all after the safety to come back?

steelersbabex25
12-20-2010, 02:43 PM
He's 6'7? Damn.

Zachintosh66
12-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I dont blame Matt, I blame Bruce running a draw on their own 3... if we didnt get stopped for the safety we could of kicked a FG and at least tied it going into OT

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I dont blame Matt, I blame Bruce running a draw on their own 3... if we didnt get stopped for the safety we could of kicked a FG and at least tied it going into OT

Rumor has it that is was intentional....:popcorn:

SteelDad
12-20-2010, 03:21 PM
I honestly don't know how to reply to this thread as it has gone in several humorous directions.

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I honestly don't know how to reply to this thread as it has gone in several humorous directions.

Come on man, give it a shot!! lol

SteelDad
12-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Come on man, give it a shot!! lol

Damn peer pressure! Ok, I don't blame Spaeth however if the ball hits your hands then catch the damn thing! And I don't blame Arians, I blame his parents.

steelchamp204
12-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Injuries are the reason the Steelers lost, not the effort of those who played. It's also the reason to worry about the post season. both starting O tackles, Smith, Troy. Just too much to overcome and the Jets were better prepared. That said, who gave the Steelers ANY chance at all after the safety to come back?

Ok injuries are not the reason we lost the game, Spaeth had a chance to win the game for us, Ben couldnt have thrown the ball better in the breadbasket as he did, and Spaeth didnt come down with it, Kinda like the limas sweed of te's.

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Damn peer pressure! Ok, I don't blame Spaeth however if the ball hits your hands then catch the damn thing! And I don't blame Arians, I blame his parents.

I'll take it! So you're saying if his daddy crusted up the pillow case we would all be getting along???

Clevelandsux
12-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Spaeth is a waste of space. Should have thrown to Johnson.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Spaeth is a waste of space. Should have thrown to Johnson.

The pass was actually intended for Emmanuel Sanders in the back of the end zone and Spaeth just happened to stick his big 6"7 goofy *** in front of Sanders who was open and ready to catch the ball in front of him and took the TD catch away from Sanders...

--- Added 12/20/2010 at 07:05 PM ---

Plus, let's face it guys and a lot of people might not want to hear this but the Jets needed to win this game more then the Steelers did in terms of making the playoffs. The Jets season was really starting to slip away the last 2 weeks after losing to the Pats and Dolphins and they really needed to win this game here yesterday to kind of solidify their playoff spot back which is what they did. The bottom line is and I said this already today that this game was not a big loss and it had no effect what so ever on the standings yesterday or the next 2 weeks. The Ravens beating the Saints yesterday made this game irrelevant in terms of the Steelers still having a shot to clinch the AFC North yesterday. Had they won the game against the Jets they still would have needed to win the last 2 games against the Panthers and the Browns incase the Ravens end up winning out which it looks like they are going to do. The bottom line is the Steelers won the game they needed to win 2 weeks ago in Baltimore with the division on the line. That win right there should be good enough to get them the AFC North title and the bye week and the number 2 seed in the playoffs unless the Steelers choke against Carolina or the Browns which I just do not see happening at this point...

Blazedby92
12-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Just too much to overcome. That said, who gave the Steelers ANY chance at all after the safety to come back?

ME, Have you ever seen Ben play?

steelersbabex25
12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
ME, Have you ever seen Ben play?

I did too. Us Steeler fans should know that a game is never over until the clock hits 0. And this game was no exception.

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Ben did his part....

UKSTEELER
12-21-2010, 04:15 AM
If Airhead actually used Spaeth more, even when Miller is healthy, he'd possibly have made the catch, . . he's been left out in the cold for years hardly catching a pass at all, . . . . . Patriot rookie TE Hernandez has caught more balls this season (45) than Spaeth has throughout his whole career (36), even the other one Gronkowski has 32 receptions!!!

When your coming in that cold to the game, without the experience and game time is it any wonder he dropped it?

We could have had a great one-two combo these last few years, instead we've had one criminally underused starter and one who's riding the bench or trying to block!

Of course if Heath returns Thursday, Spaeth will disappear out of the gameplan again!

Arians is to blame!:cursin::banging::evilshake::rant2:

steelchamp204
12-21-2010, 05:24 AM
If Airhead actually used Spaeth more, even when Miller is healthy, he'd possibly have made the catch, . . he's been left out in the cold for years hardly catching a pass at all, . . . . . Patriot rookie TE Hernandez has caught more balls this season (45) than Spaeth has throughout his whole career (36), even the other one Gronkowski has 32 receptions!!!

When your coming in that cold to the game, without the experience and game time is it any wonder he dropped it?

We could have had a great one-two combo these last few years, instead we've had one criminally underused starter and one who's riding the bench or trying to block!

Of course if Heath returns Thursday, Spaeth will disappear out of the gameplan again!

Arians is to blame!:cursin::banging::evilshake::rant2:

Doesnt he practice catching balls in practice all the time, He is a pro, the ball was right there in the numbers area, the ball went right through. Who cares if it was a big catch, and he was with first team all week so theres no excuse. There was no excuse for that dropped pass at all sorry.

UKSTEELER
12-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Doesnt he practice catching balls in practice all the time, He is a pro, the ball was right there in the numbers area, the ball went right through. Who cares if it was a big catch, and he was with first team all week so theres no excuse. There was no excuse for that dropped pass at all sorry.

Your always going to get dropped balls.

I just feel that if he's have been a more integral part of the team over the last few years, his confidence, and experience would have been such that he may have made the catch. . . .

Look what a lack of confidence in himself and by our coaching staff has done to Sweed.

I went down the park with my mate a few months back and we pitched the ball to each other, I tried whole heartedly to catch every ball thrown my way, I made some great catches and I had some woeful drops where I should have easily caught the ball, there were no outside pressures, no 60,000 crowd, . . . nothing.

Okay I'm no pro footballer, but this **** happens . . . Hines has dropped catches, Santonio had the ball go straight through his hands prior to his game winner in the SB, it's a very fine line . . .

I feel that Spaeth considering his lack of playing time, has played quite well and has proved he can get open and has skills, he just hasn't been given the opportunity to prove it and to expand upon it.

Go Steelers!

steelchamp204
12-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Your always going to get dropped balls.

I just feel that if he's have been a more integral part of the team over the last few years, his confidence, and experience would have been such that he may have made the catch. . . .

Look what a lack of confidence in himself and by our coaching staff has done to Sweed.

I went down the park with my mate a few months back and we pitched the ball to each other, I tried whole heartedly to catch every ball thrown my way, I made some great catches and I had some woeful drops where I should have easily caught the ball, there were no outside pressures, no 60,000 crowd, . . . nothing.

Okay I'm no pro footballer, but this **** happens . . . Hines has dropped catches, Santonio had the ball go straight through his hands prior to his game winner in the SB, it's a very fine line . . .

I feel that Spaeth considering his lack of playing time, has played quite well and has proved he can get open and has skills, he just hasn't been given the opportunity to prove it and to expand upon it.

Go Steelers!

I agree with you to some extent on this but He had two chances tbh. Atleast catch one of them. I just dont get why we threw to spaeth so many times but we never throw to heath that many times, thats whats frustrating. When heath comes back thurs I think we should go a little more vertical with him down the field for some 15-20 yard catches, also that would open up the underneath routes to Mm,redman or mendy. Or maybe Bruce can run some more slants in the ame instead of these wr screens.

UKSTEELER
12-21-2010, 05:58 AM
I agree with you to some extent on this but He had two chances tbh. Atleast catch one of them. I just dont get why we threw to spaeth so many times but we never throw to heath that many times, thats whats frustrating. When heath comes back thurs I think we should go a little more vertical with him down the field for some 15-20 yard catches, also that would open up the underneath routes to Mm,redman or mendy. Or maybe Bruce can run some more slants in the ame instead of these wr screens.

I'd be happy to see both of them grab about 5 balls each, i'm done with the he's done at the expense of the other one BS . . . that Arians seems to employ . . . Redman isn't given enough opportunities either!!

Spaeth is a big guy, massive target, if I was scrambling around in the backfield looking into the EZ, and it was a blur and no one was easy open, he'd get the ball from me too, just playing the percentages . . .

coldrolled
12-21-2010, 08:08 AM
I'd be happy to see both of them grab about 5 balls each, i'm done with the he's done at the expense of the other one BS . . . that Arians seems to employ . . . Redman isn't given enough opportunities either!!

Spaeth is a big guy, massive target, if I was scrambling around in the backfield looking into the EZ, and it was a blur and no one was easy open, he'd get the ball from me too, just playing the percentages . . .

how about leaving mendenhall in on 3rd down and throwing to him once in a while.

there are thousands of good plays never played by this team, we could go on and on.

i am tired of this arians crap... did anyone watch the oc from chicago last night, lots of nice plays.. making cutler look like johnny unitas..

SteelDad
12-21-2010, 10:08 AM
I'll take it! So you're saying if his daddy crusted up the pillow case we would all be getting along???

At the very least we'd have a guy who doesn't call a damn draw play from his own 2 yard line!! "Crusted up the pillow." Brilliant.:clap:

SteelCityKid5
12-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Matt Spaeth is a waste. I could careless if he dropped balls or caught a TD pass on Sunday. I was never a fan of him. Blocking TE somewhat, I want a dual threat and not a one trick pony.

SteelWolf62
12-22-2010, 03:26 PM

Classic!!!:willybs::willybs:

Real Deal Steel
12-22-2010, 11:54 PM
I could see Spaeth making a big play for us in the playoffs.