PDA

View Full Version : No time to waste, the Panthers are up on Thursday

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Win or Lose tonight the Steelers don't have time to waste this week. The players have got to recover and get that run defense squared away. Carolina won tonight, beating the Cardinals and Stewart rushed for 137 yds. Now granted the Cards defense is nothing special but the Panthers will be playing with some confidence on Thursday so the Steelers need to get back on track.

If we were on a winning streak I'd say this is a classic trap game, but that should be thrown out the window now because of the loss tonight.

Farrior Fan
12-19-2010, 11:29 PM
The Cards are awful. I know that this is the NFL and no game can be taken for granted but we have to win against the Panthers by at least 10, and I am pretty sure we will. The best part is that we then get plenty of time to gameplan for the browns. Of course that would be great if we had coaches that understood the basic concepts of football. So at least our guys have plenty of time to get rested.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2010, 12:47 PM
There is no excuse to not win by atleast that much. If we don't dominate this game we should be shot.

franchise3
12-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Our offense plays only when there is urgency so I can see us going flat for a first few quarters. The team that will play against the Panthers this Thursday is very similar to the one that lost all the games against bad teams last year so no game is easy for BA...

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
If this isn't a 34-10 blow out it will be considered a loss...As of now we've only beat 2-3 teams that are good (Ravens, Falcons, maybe the Bucs)..The rest of our wins have been against scrubs...

steeldoc
12-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a hard time believing that Carolina will show up on Thursday night. Hopefully the Steelers will explode early, shut down the run and break Jimmy Clausen (no relation to Bill the cat from the Opus cartoon) in half, by the half.

steelersbabex25
12-20-2010, 02:33 PM
The team that will play against the Panthers this Thursday is very similar to the one that lost all the games against bad teams last year so no game is easy for BA...

How do you figure? The Steelers have put away all the bad teams this year. Not easily, but they've done it. There isn't a doubt in my mind that the Steelers will dominate the Panthers on THursday.

franchise3
12-20-2010, 03:39 PM
How do you figure? The Steelers have put away all the bad teams this year. Not easily, but they've done it. There isn't a doubt in my mind that the Steelers will dominate the Panthers on THursday.

You are probably right. I just still have nightmares from the last season.

P.S. They had Polamalu in the 'easy' games this season

LarryNJ
12-20-2010, 03:40 PM
The Cards are awful.

How can they be? :dontgetit: If you listen to some on here they have the greatest coach since Vince Coaching them. :lol:

We'll be fine, I'm more concerned about the Browns.

franchise3
12-20-2010, 03:51 PM
How can they be? :dontgetit: If you listen to some on here they have the greatest coach since Vince Coaching them. :lol:

Why worry about the Browns? They will beat the Ravens, we will beat Panthers and the last game will become meaningless :banana:

mwittman5
12-20-2010, 03:57 PM
steelers hardly ever blow teams out, they play to the competition. I'll take a win no matter how close the game is. could care less if its 3-0, its a win.

SteelDad
12-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Same feeling here LarryNJ. I see a 31-10 type of game Thursday night and then an absolute war in Cleveland the following week. Honestly, knowing we'll have extra time to prepare and that it means the difference between a week off and having to win 3 straight, we damn well better win in Cleveland.

Goodfrom55
12-20-2010, 06:13 PM
DOn't be overly fooled, Carolina's defense isn't bad, but their offense is dead last in the league - averaging 13 points per game. Defensively, they're decent. Probably comparable to the bengals. Low scoring game, perhaps 20 -7 ?

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
If they jump on Carolina early in this game and get up 14 or 17-0 Carolina will fold. I just cannot see the Panthers scoring more then 3 or 6 points in this game on offense unless their defense puts some points on the board for them. The Steelers offense is going to get I believe a ton of opportunities early in this game because I believe the Panthers will have a lot of 3 and out's deep in their own end. This is a game where Arians needs to open it up early get 14-17 quick points on the board by the start of the 2nd quarter and this one will be over...Im getting really tired of the Steelers getting great field position early on in the games much like they had yesterday with the Jets and failing miserably to take advantage of it in any sort of way...

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
DOn't be overly fooled, Carolina's defense isn't bad, but their offense is dead last in the league - averaging 13 points per game. Defensively, they're decent. Probably comparable to the bengals. Low scoring game, perhaps 20 -7 ?

I'm betting OT - 9-6 us...

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Why worry about the Browns? They will beat the Ravens, we will beat Panthers and the last game will become meaningless :banana:

That's a nice thought but it most likely is not going to happen. The odds are the Ravens will beat the Browns in Cleveland on Sunday and the Steelers are going to have to go up their the very next week and do the exact samething or they arent going to win the North and get the bye week...

steelchamp204
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Man whatever the spread is this game, im taking it, wee gonna win by 17.

Goodfrom55
12-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I agree. Although it is a short week, I believe the Steelers are going to come out and try to destroy Carolina. Classic case of a "rebound" game because IMO, the better team lost on Sunday. Sounds like sour grapes, but it's how I feel. Jets had to play a perfect game and they did - got scores from all 3 phases (offense, defense, special teams). Hopefully We'll see them again.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2010, 07:16 PM
I agree. Although it is a short week, I believe the Steelers are going to come out and try to destroy Carolina. Classic case of a "rebound" game because IMO, the better team lost on Sunday. Sounds like sour grapes, but it's how I feel. Jets had to play a perfect game and they did - got scores from all 3 phases (offense, defense, special teams). Hopefully We'll see them again.

I agree Id love to see the Jets here at Heinz Field in the playoffs again in a rematch most definitely. Next time they will have to deal with both Troy and Aaron Smith on defense which will make it that much tougher for Sanchez and that offense. The Steelers offense ran and threw the ball all over that Jets defense so there is no doubt in my mind that if the Jets had to come in here again come playoff time and win I dont believe they will be able to do it. Id rather lose that game yesterday to them then lose the one that really matters in January should the Steelers see them again...

steelersbabex25
12-20-2010, 09:23 PM

I think the Steelers are going to come out and destroy Carolina BECAUSE it's a short week. They know they f'ed up last week, and I for one would not want to face an angry Steelers team at Heinz Field.

steelerschick1220
12-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Hopefully this team is pissed off and makes the Panthers players walk off the field crying. That's what I would like to see happen.

DIESELMAN
12-21-2010, 08:37 AM
I agree Id love to see the Jets here at Heinz Field in the playoffs again in a rematch most definitely. Next time they will have to deal with both Troy and Aaron Smith on defense which will make it that much tougher for Sanchez and that offense. The Steelers offense ran and threw the ball all over that Jets defense so there is no doubt in my mind that if the Jets had to come in here again come playoff time and win I dont believe they will be able to do it. Id rather lose that game yesterday to them then lose the one that really matters in January should the Steelers see them again...

That's right, I would love to see the Jets in the playoffs and absolutely destroy them. With both Smith and Troy playing, the Jets will wish they never made the playoffs.

coldrolled
12-21-2010, 09:09 AM
That's right, I would love to see the Jets in the playoffs and absolutely destroy them. With both Smith and Troy playing, the Jets will wish they never made the playoffs.

i hope we play them in the AFCC... We will destory them...

franchise3
12-21-2010, 09:11 AM
I think the Steelers are going to come out and destroy Carolina BECAUSE it's a short week. They know they f'ed up last week, and I for one would not want to face an angry Steelers team at Heinz Field.

Just don't use the words "unleash hell":greengrin:

LatrobePA
12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Just don't use the words "unleash hell":greengrin:

Unless talking about BA!!!

SteelDad
12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
A week like this is all about Mike Tomlin. I know for many people around the Nation the jury is still out on him and it's rebounding from a loss on a quick turn-around that can help porve his abilities to adjust, gameplan and motivate. Granted, motivation should not be a question considering what is on the line.

franchise3
12-21-2010, 10:31 AM
A week like this is all about Mike Tomlin. I know for many people around the Nation the jury is still out on him and it's rebounding from a loss on a quick turn-around that can help porve his abilities to adjust, gameplan and motivate. Granted, motivation should not be a question considering what is on the line.

He didn't start good by saying that they have advantage in a shorter week because they are younger. Not very motivational if you ask me.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-21-2010, 01:18 PM
The Steelers better blow out the Panthers........The Panthers are just flat out awful on offense....Sure Goodson has had some 100 yard games and Stewart is very talented.....But the Steelers stop the run period and I know the Jets had some success but not every game the Steelers will hold a team to 60 yards.....I don't expect the Panthers to do much on offense against the Steelers defense even without Troy.....Jimmy Clausen is a rookie and really has struggled all year.......Colt McCoy has looked much better for the Browns.........

The only ways I see this game being close if the Steelers special teams allow the Panthers to hang around which could happen......The Steelers kicking game is horrendous......Sure Suisham makes his field goals but he stinks at kick-offs......I'm not even going to mention the new punters name since he doesn't deserve it but that dude is flat out terrible......The kick coverage units must not allow any returns for TDs.......

Its simple for our offense just don't turn the ball over and for the most part the Steelers offense has done that this year......

Put the Panthers away early and rest for a battle against the Browns in Cleveland since we all know the Browns will play the Steelers tough......

Clevelandsux
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
The steelers need to get there **** together. They need to dominate and defeat the Panthers as well as the Browns. I don't care what the Ravens do. The Panthers have only 2 wins and a rookie qb. We need to start sending a message and getting fired up and in sync for the playoffs. No excuses!! Beat the **** out of both the panthers and Browns!

Scorp
12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin finally acknowledged something Monday that has been a topic of discussion about his team for several years: His players are old.

And because they are old, they need their rest more than the young Carolina Panthers. In fact, he said, the Panthers will have an advantage over the Pittsburgh Geezers Thursday night at Heinz Field because of their youth.

"It's a quick turnaround, particularly for a veteran football team," Tomlin said. "We're going to be very conscious about how we prepare this week. We've got to prepare as smart as we can."

In a study at the start of the season, the Steelers had the seventh-oldest team in the league with an average age of 27.5 years. The Carolina Panthers had the fourth-youngest team with an average of 26.39.

Can that 1.11 year make a difference in a short week? Tomlin may have been trying to plant some psychological nugget in his players' minds, but he was on a roll with it Monday in his news conference.

"We've got to preserve our guys in as many ways as we can because, quite honestly, working on this kind of week, you've got to acknowledge that it's an advantage for the Carolina Panthers," Tomlin said. "They're a younger team than we are. Physically they're capable of bouncing back faster, no question, so we've got to prepare extremely smart and put our veteran outfit in the best position we can to play effective football Thursday night."

Young or old, it would seem no match between the Steelers and Panthers, who won only their second game of the season Sunday, beating Arizona to go 2-12.

Carolina starts a rookie quarterback, Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, who threw his first two touchdown passes Sunday. He has seven interceptions to go with those two touchdowns and has the worst passer rating in the league at 59.1. Clausen is their third starting quarterback, including former Steelers backup Brian St. Pierre. Carolina's passing offense is last in the league.

The Panthers' strength is their ground game with Jonathan Stewart (668 yards) and Mike Goodson (435), and that plays right into the Steelers' strength. They have the best rush defense by far in the league, allowing just 63.4 yards per game. Carolina has the league's 12th-most productive running game with an average of 116.8 yards per game.

coldrolled
12-21-2010, 11:57 PM
maybe he should let some younger players rotate in during the games....

Scorp
12-22-2010, 11:12 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers hope a short week leads to a long layoff.

The team practiced Tuesday, normally a day off, during its lone day of on-field preparation before Thursday night's game against the Carolina Panthers (2-12).

Normally, NFL players don't welcome games that follow just three days of rest, especially after a game as physical and as tense as the Steelers' 22-17 loss to the New York Jets was Sunday.

"Some weeks, on Thursday, I don't know how I'm going to play on Sunday," safety Ryan Clark said Tuesday.

Still, the Steelers (10-4) almost seem to welcome this game occurring this soon, and not just because it's against an opponent that had won only once before Sunday's victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

"I would've played this game Sunday night," linebacker James Farrior said.

The payoff: The Steelers will have nine days off before their Jan. 2 regular-season finale at Cleveland (5-9). Then, if they have won the AFC North title and are the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs, they will have an extra week off before their first playoff game.

All that extra rest could allow Pittsburgh to get safety Troy Polamalu (strained right Achilles' tendon) and defensive end Aaron Smith (torn triceps) back for the postseason. Ben Roethlisberger's broken nose ought to feel better -- maybe the quarterback can discard the face shield -- and perhaps his sore right foot won't require him to wear a shoe 1 sizes larger than normal.

Also, NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche reported that tight end Heath Miller returned to practice Tuesday and appears set to play after missing the previous two games because of a concussion.

"We're in a great position. We've clinched, which is good, and we can have a first-round bye, which would be huge for this team -- get some guys (healthy) who are banged up and rusty," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "It's all out there for us, we've just got to go take it."

A week ago, the NFL-issued playoffs scenario for the Steelers required a mathematician to decipher. This week, now that Pittsburgh has clinched a playoff spot, it couldn't be simpler. If the Steelers win and the Baltimore Ravens (10-4) lose in Cleveland, Pittsburgh will win the AFC North and own the No. 2 playoff seed.

If the Steelers don't win, or if the Ravens do, the division race goes down to the final weekend, when Baltimore plays at home against the Cincinnati Bengals (3-11).

Although the Steelers can win the division merely by winning their last two games, the preferable scenario for them would be to clinch this weekend. Then they wouldn't have to play any not-quite-healthy players in Cleveland.

The Steelers proved five years ago, as did the New York Giants a couple of seasons later, that a sixth-seeded team can go on the road throughout the playoffs and still win the Super Bowl. But they're the only two teams to accomplish it.

Wide receiver Hines Ward knows the much more likely route to Arlington, Texas, is by gaining a first-round playoff bye.

"You're two games away from the Super Bowl," Ward said. "You let the other teams beat each other up in the first round. You know for sure you got one home game, and you win that game, then you're in the championship game and are one win away from the Super Bowl. That bye is important for any team in the league if you have an opportunity to get it. For us, that's what we plan for."

The Steelers likely won't have Polamalu for a second consecutive game after he didn't practice Tuesday. The team would settle for having him ready to go next month.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin already has pulled a psychological ploy, suggesting it's an advantage for a younger team such as the Panthers to play on a Thursday night following a short turnaround.

"Physically, they're capable of bouncing back faster, no question, so we've got to prepare extremely smart and put our veteran outfit in the best position to play effective football," Tomlin said.

His players' reaction to this can't-be-disguised attempt to motivate?

"The older guys, we don't need motivation like that, we're always self-motivated," said Farrior, who turns 36 in two weeks. "So that's not going to work for us old, old guys."

Troyisabeast_43
01-17-2011, 08:33 PM

Looks like Im about to find out if I am right or not based on this early prediction lol...

--- Added 1/17/2011 at 07:33 PM ---

i hope we play them in the AFCC... We will destory them...

Well ask and you shall receive Cold looks like youre going to get your wish after all...:cope: