PDA

View Full Version : What happened with the defense tonight?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2010, 10:54 PM
So the vaunted Steelers run defense took a good beating tonight. Perhaps not statically speaking but none the less they were less than stellar tonight. Tomlinson had 49 yds and Greene had 40. However, time after time the Jets converted key 3rd downs on the ground. They were able to use the play action game all day. The bootleg that Sanchez scored on was a direct result of not only the formation showing run but also for the Steelers being focused the backs rather than keeping an eye on bootleg.

We have a short week coming up and they had better get that straightened out because the Panthers only real offense is the running game.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Aaron Smith..

SteelDad
12-19-2010, 11:03 PM
As you may have guessed, the conservative play-calling by Dick LeBeau comes back to the absence of Troy Polamalu. Mundy held his own in the passing game, but was extremely late in supporting the run. Sanchez play-fakes well, I'll give him that, but Mundy just wasn't reacting the way we are used to seeing Troy react in similar situations. BMAC was brutal for the most part tonight. Thought he had good coverage on the long catch by Edwards, but he continues to give way too much cushion. Harrison and Woodley were limited most of the night as well due to the quick passing attack and Ryan Clark did not play well IMO either.

mwittman5
12-19-2010, 11:14 PM
the D only gave up 13 pts. idk what your complaining about? special teams gave up a kick return TD and the offense gave the, 2 pts on a safety. The D wasn't bad

LatrobePA
12-19-2010, 11:19 PM
1 player....This team just isn't the same w/out him!

SteelDad
12-19-2010, 11:21 PM
the D only gave up 13 pts. idk what your complaining about? special teams gave up a kick return TD and the offense gave the, 2 pts on a safety. The D wasn't bad

Agreed but the Sanchez bootleg TD was horrendous. You can give up a 1st down there but a TD was embarrassing. The other 3rd and short play on that drive where Sanchez hit Keller I believe was a bust by Clark who should have been on Keller the whole damn way. There was also the direct snap to Tomlinson which completely caught the D off guard. Again, a play that's easy to read and we blew it. You're right, 13 points should win most games but not when you make poor calls and have horrible execution.

Clevelandsux
12-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Anyone mention how terrible Bryant McFadden is. Week after week this guy gets picked on.

sikeward
12-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Agreed. He stinks. He either gets burned long or gets flagged. Brutal. Special teams coverage is also bad and has been for years. Can we not hold anyone inside their own 20? And what's with other teams being able to punt and back us up onto our own 2 or 3 yard line lately? What about that crap call on Clark? Are we still allowed to hit anyone? Cleveland DOES suck but the old Cleveland ( the rat birds of Baltimore ) suck more!

steelerschick1220
12-19-2010, 11:53 PM
McFadden is crap.

And that Sanchez TD....that was awful.

Hopefully someone stands up and makes a play thursday night in Troy's absence.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2010, 12:14 AM
You can just really tell how different this defense is without Troy in there. The exotic blitzes and sending the house doesn't work without Troy. Sanchez got off easy not having to worry about Polamalu.

The defense has held their own in the absence of Aaron Smith, but when you lose Troy too it's just never the same.

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2010, 01:05 AM
We have to make a move in free agency this off-season. **** tradition. We need additional help and we can't rely on just the draft anymore. We need help. We need a real CB!!!!

Dick Lebeau and his conservative crap is going to be the death of this season, along with Bruce Arians super ****ed up play calling!

mwittman5
12-20-2010, 02:41 AM
We have to make a move in free agency this off-season. **** tradition. We need additional help and we can't rely on just the draft anymore. We need help. We need a real CB!!!!

Dick Lebeau and his conservative crap is going to be the death of this season, along with Bruce Arians super ****ed up play calling!

Ike our only good CB is a FA there's your move :yesnod:

steelchamp204
12-20-2010, 06:38 AM

Yea but its pretty annoying when the offense scores a touchdown and the next drive for the jets they just march right on down the field with no problem. We we score a td or field goal, the defense needs to get a 3 and our or no points aloud. Called getting momentum.,

coldrolled
12-20-2010, 06:57 AM
the D gave up 13 points?

we need an offense that can score 24+ points a game to be a real contender...

A safety with moore in the backfield? the defense held after the punt...

10 or more passes to no hands Spaeth.. we didnt throw to miller as much in 6 games.

The defense is not the problem.

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Jets D is sorry! With Mendy rushing for over 100 yards, no way in hell should we of lost this game....

This is the one game I will admit we needed Holmes...Our WR's have issues getting open, that's my .02!!

coldrolled
12-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Jets D is sorry! With Mendy rushing for over 100 yards, no way in hell should we of lost this game....

This is the one game I will admit we needed Holmes...Our WR's have issues getting open, that's my .02!!

i think mendanhall had the ball 3 times in the fourth qtr.. he had approx. 90 yards the first three qtrs...

You look at all the games this year. Our offense is just not organized...

we never stick to what works even when we find it it during a game.
once it is working.. mendy was... we quit doing it and look for something else again... why?

--- Added 12/20/2010 at 08:56 AM ---

Ravens headlines...

Baltimore Ravens 30, New Orleans Saints 24

A bruising running game, solid defense, and a fiery quarterback contributed to one of the Ravens' biggest home wins under John Harbaugh...The Ravens special teams unit contributed to Sunday's win.

Saints 24 points... Ravens a solid defense.. The ravens scored more than 24 points and won...

we held the saints to 20 and we lost... remember 10?

its not the defense... its Arians and his master plan thats killing us...

Zachintosh66
12-20-2010, 11:13 AM
What happened with the defense tonight?

They were both standing on the sidelines...

steelerschick1220
12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Our offense does seem to be a tad disorganized. Its almost like Arians can't decide what he wants the offense to do. Its like he wants to run for a quarter, then the next one he wants to pass. It is just like there is no consistent game planning from him. He really needs to get fired. If it takes us losing in the playoffs to get him gone......I would actually be kinda ok with that.

Rampage
12-20-2010, 01:29 PM
the D gave up 13 points?

we need an offense that can score 24+ points a game to be a real contender...

A safety with moore in the backfield? the defense held after the punt...

10 or more passes to no hands Spaeth.. we didnt throw to miller as much in 6 games.

The defense is not the problem.

I agree. The defense played solid, especially with Polamalu and Smith being out. I actually thought Mundy did moderately well for what was being asked of him; better than Tyrone Carter last year.

I don't even blame the offense for this game. I blame the special teams. Football is a game of inches as they say, and the Steelers were just starting inches outside of the endzone just about all night. Bad kickoffs, bad punts, and bad coverage allowed the Jets to win the battle for field position and that was all that was needed to tilt this game in their favor.

By the way, Will Allen and Arnaz Battle can go. Hire a kicker that can boot the ball through the back of the endzone; that's the gunner that this team needs.