PDA

View Full Version : Time for the owner to step up is long overdue (nfl officiating)

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
When is the owner of this team going to act like an owner who is cognitive of what's currently going on and protect the team from a clear and blatant biasness by referees. When is he going to have a sit down with Goodell and say, "do you have any f#$%ing idea who I am motherf$%#er?"

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 08:23 PM
They're too busy vacationing in Ireland.

JensK
12-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Couple of odd calls tonight.. The helmet-to-helmet on Ryan Clark was rather strange, although he did kind of lead with his helmet. Harrison got away with a pretty obvious one though. The missed PI against Sanders at one of the last plays was horrible though...

nuclearchihuahuas
12-19-2010, 08:25 PM
When is the owner of this team going to act like an owner who is cognitive of what's currently going on and protect the team from a clear and blatant biasness by referees. When is he going to have a sit down with Goodell and say, "do you have any f#$%ing idea who I am motherf$%#er?"

I am about as sick of it as I can get...the Rooney's need to step up!!!!!

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Couple of odd calls tonight.. The helmet-to-helmet on Ryan Clark was rather strange, although he did kind of lead with his helmet. Harrison got away with a pretty obvious one though. The missed PI against Sanders at one of the last plays was horrible though...

That no call against Sanders was unreal. He got his jersey pulled and then his arm tugged. Does it get more obvious?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm so ****in sick of the officials I can't even stand it anymore. Honest to God Sanders had jersey all bit ripped off and no call. Wallace is held atleast 4 times today, no call. Clark gets flagged for a hit that was legal. The list goes on and on. No bones about it, anybody that says the officials are not calling blatant penalties when it comes to the Steelers need to throw themselves out a damn window.

For **** sake, what else can they do! When the game is close and you rely on the right calls to be made and they aren't, what are you supposed to do.

JensK
12-19-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm so ****in sick of the officials I can't even stand it anymore. Honest to God Sanders had jersey all bit ripped off and no call. Wallace is held atleast 4 times today, no call. Clark gets flagged for a hit that was legal. The list goes on and on. No bones about it, anybody that says the officials are not calling blatant penalties when it comes to the Steelers need to throw themselves out a damn window.

For **** sake, what else can they do! When the game is close and you rely on the right calls to be made and they aren't, what are you supposed to do.

I know I am going to sound like an *** now, but fight through it. Obviously, they are not favouring Steelers right now, but good teams overcome that, as Steelers have done throughout the season so far. The refs blew today, but its not an excuse. We should have won that game easily, had it not been for ****-poor execution and horrible horrible playcalling at times. Obviously, those missed calls are frustrating, but I lets not use them as excuses - Let the Seahawks- and the other AFC North teams worry about that.

LatrobePA
12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Should of happened 3 years ago....

jpele
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
It's bad enough we have to battle through the officials but our biggest enemy is Bruce Arians. You want the owner to open his mouth pray that he demands that BA be fired tonight.

Also while he's at it he could demand that Dick Le Beau use the tools at his disposal or find another job. I called it right in the Troy is out thread. I said with Troy out Dick would have our D sit back and watch Sanchez pick us apart.

This loss is on Tomlins head. When the jets can't stop your running game and Mendy only gets 17 carries Redman gets 1,and you use Moore at the 2 yd. line ,you show your lack of coaching ability.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
The terrible play call that led to the safety in the end zone had more to do with loss then the refs....the safety screwed us.......No safety at least we could have kicked the field to tie the game at the end there.....I agree Sanders should have gotten the call but I don't expect no calls to go the Steelers way these days...........Fuhrer Goodell has it as his top agenda not to let The Rapist and Evil James Harrison the QB killer win another Lombardi......Nothing we can about it really.......Goodell is the dictator of the NFL......Damn Dan Rooney for pushing for Goodell to get hired as NFL commish...........

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm just so tired of week after week after week we can't even get a fairly called game. That's all Steeler fan wants anymore. Call it the same for everyone!

steelchamp204
12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Can we stop crying about officials and there bad calls. Please. We didnt lose this game because of officials and there "bad calls". It is what it is, and thats how it is.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Can we stop crying about officials and there bad calls. Please. We didnt lose this game because of officials and there "bad calls". It is what it is, and thats how it is.

We did in fact lose this game partially because of bad calls. If they called the obvious PI on Sanders the Steeler get the ball at the 1 and score. That's the refs costing us the game.

NYCsteelersfan
That no call against Sanders was unreal. He got his jersey pulled and then his arm tugged. Does it get more obvious?

It was as obvious as The Polomalu overturned interception against the Colts in the second round of the playoffs in 2005.

That blatant of a jersey grab causing a clear decrease in the receivers progress in such a crucial part of the game cannot go uncalled.

It's been going on since 2005. The Steelers are a disliked small-market team that is as unexciting as a team can get. The media doesn't like them and so the NFL has made it a point to try and keep them out of the playoffs with obviously biased officiating. Once the Steelers make it to the playoffs, the officials continue to try to keep them from advancing.

The only thing is that it used to be more subtle until that 2005 Manning interception that was overturned with reasoning that made as much sense as Tony Montana's reasoning for why he's a murdering drug dealer. And when we still win, the media shits on the victory by spinning some nonsense about us getting calls in our favor (2005 Superbowl for example).

But this year it has simply gotten out of hand to the point where I'm honestly not watching a lot of the games. When you know your team is not on an even playing field, watching them becomes somewhat moot. Just like if I knew the Steelers always got calls in their favor then I would still lose interest because it just takes away from the wins.

Players on the Steelers are at a clear disadvantage, they've had their defensive play forcefully adjusted by nonsense calls and the owner of this team has done nothing.

franchise3
We did in fact lose this game partially because of bad calls. If they called the obvious PI on Sanders the Steeler get the ball at the 1 and score. That's the refs costing us the game.

Exactly.

steelchamp204
12-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Yea cause there were no other plays that actually happened the steelers coulda done better to win the game? Maybe Special teams? Or, dumbass call running the ball out of shotgun formation with Mm

franchise3
12-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Yea cause there were no other plays that actually happened the steelers coulda done better to win the game? Maybe Special teams? Or, dumbass call running the ball out of shotgun formation with Mm

Partially, partially, PARTIALLY

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Which is why I said partially. There were lots of factors that went into the Steelers losing game. The bogus calls being one of them.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-19-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm just so tired of week after week after week we can't even get a fairly called game. That's all Steeler fan wants anymore. Call it the same for everyone!

I agree it really is getting OLD, and no we won't stop complaining about the ref's untill the NFL calls a fair game:cursin: We lost tonight becaquse we spotted them 7 and BA called another BULLSH&! play running a delay out of our own endzone but the Ref's missed alot of calls also tonight it is what it is...

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I know I am going to sound like an *** now, but fight through it. Obviously, they are not favouring Steelers right now, but good teams overcome that

Really? Name a team with such a clear officiating biasness against them that is able "overcome" it?

The terrible play call that led to the safety in the end zone had more to do with loss then the refs....the safety screwed us.......No safety at least we could have kicked the field to tie the game at the end there.....I agree Sanders should have gotten the call but I don't expect no calls to go the Steelers way these days...........Fuhrer Goodell has it as his top agenda not to let The Rapist and Evil James Harrison the QB killer win another Lombardi......Nothing we can about it really.......Goodell is the dictator of the NFL......Damn Dan Rooney for pushing for Goodell to get hired as NFL commish...........

An owner of a team should protect his team and players regardless of the team's record. I don't care if we win the Superbowl. This entire team is on every officials blacklist for one reason or another and it simply shouldn't be allowed.

The loss is not the point. Our players are at the point where they've been forced to adjust the way they play in order to "overcome" bad officiating. If you can't see that then you're too busy telling people to stop whining instead of watching what's going on in front of your eyes.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2010, 08:50 PM
How about LeBeau letting Sanchez be to comfortable all game to as another factor....Even when the Steelers blitzed it didn't get there.......LeBeau seemed timid with Troy out to call his usual game and failed at adjusting throughout the game.....Sanchez was comfortable and made easy throws all game........

LatrobePA
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM
We played the Jets like we played the Pats, Saints with the same results, a LOSS!!

Sanchez didn't have a grass stain on his body!!

Raleigh Steel
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM
all i've ever asked for with officiating is that it is consistent. even if bad, consistently bad is still acceptable. but ever since the browns game this season, we have been playing with a different set of rules than our opponents.

every week we can point out at least 4 plays that are just blatantly going against us, yet hardly ever go against the other teams at least not big enough to make any kind of impact in the game.

tonights game was no different. yeah, we can overcome the ****** calls...and we normally do...but we shouldn't have to EVERY DAMN WEEK!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Really? Name a team with such a clear officiating biasness against them that is able "overcome" it?

An owner of a team should protect his team and players regardless of the team's record. I don't care if we win the Superbowl. This entire team is on every officials blacklist for one reason or another and it simply shouldn't be allowed.

The loss is not the point. Our players are at the point where they've been forced to adjust the way they play in order to "overcome" bad officiating. If you can't see that then you're too busy telling people to stop whining instead of watching what's going on in front of your eyes.

You really think Art II is going to speak out and make this such a big deal?....It was a Rooney "Dan" who was the main factor of Goodell being named NFL Dictator in the first place..........I agree the officiating has been biased against the Steelers most of the season but its not going to change and I wouldn't expect much out of Art II........

Still the safety had more to do with this loss then anything.......Forced the Steelers to go for a TD instead of a game tying field goal......

steelchamp204
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Which is why I said partially. There were lots of factors that went into the Steelers losing game. The bogus calls being one of them.

Yea I know, thats why I partially put some more input into it. Im not here to argue but whatever lol.

franchise3
12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
You really think Art II is going to speak out and make this such a big deal?....It was a Rooney "Dan" who was the main factor of Goodell being named NFL Dictator in the first place..........I agree the officiating has been biased against the Steelers most of the season but its not going to change and I wouldn't expect much out of Art II........

Still the safety had more to do with this loss then anything.......Forced the Steelers to go for a TD instead of a game tying field goal......

One on one with Goodell, YES. Not in the media...

DanRooney
12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Defense wasn't really a problem. I'll take 13 points when 7 came on a 4th down.

The offense is flat out terrible, still. Play calling was beyond bad. That safety is what lost us the game.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm not blaming the defense at all....Just pointing out Sanchez was to comfortable in the pocket all game.....Defense didn't force any turn overs.........The defense didn't lose the game but still it wasn't a stellar game for the D or LeBeau..........

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 09:04 PM
How about LeBeau letting Sanchez be to comfortable all game to as another factor....Even when the Steelers blitzed it didn't get there.......LeBeau seemed timid with Troy out to call his usual game and failed at adjusting throughout the game.....Sanchez was comfortable and made easy throws all game........

Hypothetical: Someone spits in your face and then walks away. While you're regaining your composure and cleaning the spit from your face someone comes by and punches you in the face. Would you say, "well it has nothing to do with me getting spit in my face, I should've been ready to defend myself and not get punched in the face, so nothing should happen to the guy who spit in my face."

we have been playing with a different set of rules than our opponents.

And this is the underlying problem. The record of the team is besides the point.

One on one with Goodell, YES. Not in the media...

Exactly.

--- Added 12/19/2010 at 07:04 PM ---

The offense is flat out terrible, still. Play calling was beyond bad. That safety is what lost us the game.

Why does everyone assume we would've scored on that drive anyway? Instead of making the non-PI call on th last drive of the game, they would've just made it on that drive.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Let's keep this one on track here, the fact is the officials were **** poor today but we also killed ourselves with that draw play. We also killed ourselves with missed opportunities. The officials will never be on our side, if we're going to win it's going to be because we overcame their ineptness.

steelchamp204
12-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Why does everyone assume we would've scored on that drive anyway? Instead of making the non-PI call on th last drive of the game, they would've just made it on that drive.[/QUOTE]

Well Its not so much that, it probably that the jets got the safety, and got 2 points out of it which means we never prob woulda needed a td to win the game, we were still only down by 3, so a fg would have tied it depending on whatever else woulda happened. And were all pretty sure ben could have gotten us to fg range.

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Let's keep this one on track here, the fact is the officials were **** poor today but we also killed ourselves with that draw play. We also killed ourselves with missed opportunities. The officials will never be on our side, if we're going to win it's going to be because we overcame their ineptness.

It's gotten to the point where the principle of the situation has to count for something. The non-calls are severly affecting the team and some fans like myself. I don't go into games worrying about the team we're facing, I worry about at what point a bad call is going to be made and how crucial of a call it is. We are going into every game with a disadvantage. There's only so much that can be overcame.

--- Added 12/19/2010 at 07:18 PM ---

Well Its not so much that, it probably that the jets got the safety, and got 2 points out of it which means we never prob woulda needed a td to win the game, we were still only down by 3, so a fg would have tied it depending on whatever else woulda happened. And were all pretty sure ben could have gotten us to fg range.

He threw a TD pass to a receiver, but the ref let a blatant PI go. I'm sure they would've done whatever they had to do to keep us out of FG range or just F'ed us on the Jets final drive of the game.

SteelerDan43
12-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Come on guys, the officiating is bad yes but if they really had it out for us do you think we would be in 1st place in the division? We are starting to sound like a bunch of Seahawk fans.

Callax
12-19-2010, 09:19 PM

I was yelling at the TV for THE BLATANT
PASS INTERFERENCE NON CALL BY THE "OFFICIALS" AGAINST SANDERS, BODY TWISTED AND JERSEY PULLED, WHAT THE HELL ELSE DO YOU NEED TO GET THE FLAG OUT OF YOUR POCKET'S?????

AKA GOODELLS'S GESTSAPO ARE IN LOCK STEP WITH HIS HIGHNESS
ALL HAIL KING GOODELL:willybs::willybs::willybs::willybs:

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Come on guys, the officiating is bad yes but if they really had it out for us do you think we would be in 1st place in the division? We are starting to sound like a bunch of Seahawk fans.

The team is good enough to overcome bad calls against bad teams. The refs can't get out of hand si they try their best without it garnering media attention like the Polomalu interception overturn in 2005 would've had the Steelers lost that game.

Biased officiating against bad team = most likely overcome
Biased officiating against decent team = possibly overcome
Biased officiating against good team = loss

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 09:28 PM

Ugh I'm so sick and tired of the, "we sound like Seahawk fans," response. The Seahawks had to respond to a few bad calls in ONE game. And if they were a good team, they would have bounced back the next season and done something, and the probably should have bounced back in the superbowl to win like we've had to do pretty much every game this season. The Seahawks had one poorly called game against them, the Steelers have had 14, and they've come back from everything working against them to win 10 of them. The Seahawks and Steelers situations are completely different. You can't compare the two.

LarryNJ
12-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Come on guys, the officiating is bad yes but ..... We are starting to sound like a bunch of Seahawk fans.

:plus1:

It's actually starting to get embarrassing. I guess when they gave us a first down when we were a yard and half short they thought we were the Jets. Ryan Clark launched himself like a rocket on the play he was called on it was a penalty.

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 09:37 PM

It's actually starting to get embarrassing. I guess when they gave us a first down when we were a yard and half short they thought we were the Jets. Ryan Clark launched himself like a rocket on the play he was called on it was a penalty.

Yes Clark was called on it. The PI wasn't called and it was the game.

You want to be someone who "never complains and just fights through adversity"? That makes you feel good? I respect that. But then don't knock others who want to speak up about what's obviously wrong.

SteelerDan43
12-19-2010, 09:41 PM

You want to be someone who "never complains and just fights through adversity"? That makes you feel good? I respect that. But then don't knock others who want to speak up about what's obviously wrong.

I can't imagine how you honestly believe this, why would the NFL be out to get one of the teams that makes them the most money when it comes to playoff branded merchandise? It doesn't make sense. Now if you said something like they are going to make sure Buffalo loses every game so that no one cares when they move them to LA then maybe I'd listen but it just seems like nonsense to me. We have gotten some pretty iffy calls this year as well.

steelchamp204
12-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Yea, but its to the point where its annoying, an every week thing and its never gonna change. We just gotta buck up and deal with it. Us complaining or bitching and sticking up for our guys isnt gonna change how refs do there job on the field if there doing it on purpose or just whiffing on calls, it happens to everyteam, just not us.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I can't imagine how you honestly believe this, why would the NFL be out to get one of the teams that makes them the most money when it comes to playoff branded merchandise? It doesn't make sense. Now if you said something like they are going to make sure Buffalo loses every game so that no one cares when they move them to LA then maybe I'd listen but it just seems like nonsense to me. We have gotten some pretty iffy calls this year as well.

Why? Because the Steelers are the only team in the league who aren't all for the new Roger Goodell National Flag Football League. In week 2 or 3 when the the NFL came out and said no more this that and the other thing, the Steelers continued to do what they want. The NFL now wants to make an example out of the Steelers, pretty much by saying if you don't do what we want, this is what's going to happen to you.

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 09:51 PM

You honestly believe that referee in 2005 actually thought Polomalu didn't make the interception followed by a fumble and a recovery? He looked like he was caught with a prostitute red-handed by his wife and was trying to explain it away.

Yea, but its to the point where its annoying, an every week thing and its never gonna change. We just gotta buck up and deal with it. Us complaining or bitching and sticking up for our guys isnt gonna change how refs do there job on the field if there doing it on purpose or just whiffing on calls, it happens to everyteam, just not us.

Luckily for the Civil Rights Movement there were some African Americans who decided not to "buck up and deal with it".

--- Added 12/19/2010 at 07:51 PM ---

Why? Because the Steelers are the only team in the league who aren't all for the new Roger Goodell National Flag Football League. In week 2 or 3 when the the NFL came out and said no more this that and the other thing, the Steelers continued to do what they want. The NFL now wants to make an example out of the Steelers, pretty much by saying if you don't do what we want, this is what's going to happen to you.

It started long before then. The Steelers always winning would be like the Kansas City Royals always winning in baseball. The fans of Kansas City would love it, but ratings for playoffs and World Series would plummet and the media would hate it.

SteelerDan43
12-19-2010, 09:56 PM
You honestly believe that referee in 2005 actually thought Polomalu didn't make the interception followed by a fumble and a recovery? He looked like he was caught with a prostitute red-handed by his wife and was trying to explain it away.

Luckily for the Civil Rights Movement there were some African Americans who decided not to "buck up and deal with it".

Oh man I thought you were a one year conspiracy theorist, I was wrong. Please explain a reason that would make the NFL want to bring down a traditional and profitable team prior to this season. Also nothing about the Civil Rights movement even remotely needs to be brought into this conversation, completely irrelevant to the discussion.

LarryNJ
12-19-2010, 09:58 PM

:lol:

I have no problem complaining about a call or calls, I was ready to throw something at the TV...but to never stop whining and constantly say the NFL is out to get us, they don't want to see us in the SB again...ect ect. IMO makes the Steeler fans sound like a bunch of whiners and is simply way to much. The exact thing we call all the Seahawk fans after the SuperBowl in which the calls certainly went our way and not theirs.

SteelerDan43

It still doesn't make sense, we make them money, our ownership is very influential and helped put him in power. There is no reason for them to single us out.

steelersbabex25
It started long before then. The Steelers always winning would be like the Kansas City Royals always winning in baseball. The fans of Kansas City would love it, but ratings for playoffs and World Series would plummet and the media would hate it.

Became much more obvious this year though.

steelchamp204
12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh man I thought you were a one year conspiracy theorist, I was wrong. Please explain a reason that would make the NFL want to bring down a traditional and profitable team prior to this season. Also nothing about the Civil Rights movement even remotely needs to be brought into this conversation, completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Dude is out there man.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
It still doesn't make sense, we make them money, our ownership is very influential and helped put him in power. There is no reason for them to single us out.

The Steelers organization will make money regardless of if they're winning or losing. The fans know that, the team knows that, the NFL knows that. It's the nature of the Steelers. Why would the NFL care if the Steelers are being successful or not if fans continue to come to the games?

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 10:02 PM

Profitable for who?? For the team, not the media which is what keeps all sports afloat. A Superbowl between the Giants and Colts = twice a smuch revenue as a SuperBowl between the Falcons and Steelers. If you don't understand that fact then I don't know what to tell you.

And no the Civil Rights has nothing to do with bad officiating, but it pertains to the motto of "buck up and deal with it" being offered as a resolution to a blatant wrong. One man's "rolling with the punches" is another man's "keeping your head in the sand".

LarryNJ
12-19-2010, 10:05 PM
A Superbowl between the Giants and Colts = twice a smuch revenue as a SuperBowl between the Falcons and Steelers. If you don't understand that fact then I don't know what to tell you.

I think you have the Super Bowl confused with the World Series.

SteelerDan43
12-19-2010, 10:05 PM
The Steelers organization will make money regardless of if they're winning or losing. The fans know that, the team knows that, the NFL knows that. It's the nature of the Steelers. Why would the NFL care if the Steelers are being successful or not if fans continue to come to the games?

Its a simple math equation, more wins = more money. Think about all the extra dough they pull in from a strong fan base that spends lot of money when we win the division, when we make the conference championship, and when we win the superbowl. I also think you may be overstating the fact that people pay no matter how bad the team is, that isn't quite true, everything is in more demand when things are going well. I still don't see a reason of any significance for them to be out to get us, to do something so severe they would need a good reason.

Clevelandsux
12-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I can recall 4 pass interference calls that should have been called on the Jets, but weren't. And the clark hit, what bothers me is that there was no penalty on the Ravens after almost beheading Heath Miller. They only get fined 15K. But we don't live Miller in our lineup for 2 weeks?

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Its a simple math equation, more wins = more money. Think about all the extra dough they pull in from a strong fan base that spends lot of money when we win the division, when we make the conference championship, and when we win the superbowl. I also think you may be overstating the fact that people pay no matter how bad the team is, that isn't quite true, everything is in more demand when things are going well. I still don't see a reason of any significance for them to be out to get us, to do something so severe they would need a good reason.

Well I was just responding to your profit equation, I maintain the fact that it's because they're crying to get their way and the Steelers aren't giving it to them. Why do they flag Tom Brady everytime his helmet gets brushed, and never throw a flag when Ben is hit well after he throws? Because Tom Brady is a saint and Ben was accussed of sexuel assault twice. Why do they fine James Harrison 75K for a legal hit, and only fine Haloti Ngata 15K for breaking on quarterbacks nose on purpose after the play? Because the Steelers aren't listening to the league, so they're being fined and flagged more, and they're getting harsher punishment.

SteelerDan43
12-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Profitable for who?? For the team, not the media which is what keeps all sports afloat. A Superbowl between the Giants and Colts = twice a smuch revenue as a SuperBowl between the Falcons and Steelers. If you don't understand that fact then I don't know what to tell you.

And no the Civil Rights has nothing to do with bad officiating, but it pertains to the motto of "buck up and deal with it" being offered as a resolution to a blatant wrong. One man's "rolling with the punches" is another man's "keeping your head in the sand".

I think you may be under estimating the team's place in the league, it is much more profitable for the league to have traditional teams in the game unless it has outside circumstances (New Orleans and New England for instance). I give you the matchup of Giants Colts would be better profit wise than the Falcons Steelers but it isn't because of the Steelers. The Falcons are a team with a very local fanbase, the Steelers have a national fanbase.

NYCsteelersfan
12-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I think you have the Super Bowl confused with the World Series.

Check your facts on that. Don't make me do it. Check the ratings of SB for the last decade and see if it's higher or lower for big market teams in the SB and small market teams in the SB.

It's a simple math equation but your equation does not pertain to the debate. More wins = more money for the TEAM. THE TEAM is NOT THE NFL. The NFL needs high TV rating to really make money and those high ratings come from big market teams or teams with very high-scoring offenses. They'll make money of merchandise regardless and furthermore I didn't see anyone walking around with Roethlisberger jerseys after the Steelers' first or second SB in the last 5 years, but everyone and their mother has a Brees jersey. The Steelers haven't been marketable since Kordell Stewart. The NFL has no reason to push them.

--- Added 12/19/2010 at 08:19 PM ---

the Steelers have a national fanbase.

Because they've won 2 Superbowls in 5 years. Take those away and we do not in any way shape or form have a national fanbase. Right now we simply have a front-runner fanbase, which any team that wins will always have.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
I can recall 4 pass interference calls that should have been called on the Jets, but weren't. And the clark hit, what bothers me is that there was no penalty on the Ravens after almost beheading Heath Miller. They only get fined 15K. But we don't live Miller in our lineup for 2 weeks?

And possibly longer, no telling if Heath will be available on Thursday or not.

The fact is, it's the NFL vs the Steelers in 2010. The officials are not going to call the game fair for us and if we're going to win it's going to be us overcoming their bad calls or lack of making the correct call.

We can't use the officials as an excuse, because we've been doing it all year and it's gotten us nowhere. The Steelers need to take this to the house in 2010 and win the damn super bowl and stick it to the NFL.

I for one can't wait to hear the players reaction to this game.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I for one can't wait to hear the players reaction to this game.

Some of them are up here

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Hines-Ward---Post-Game---Jets/6eff9c69-18a3-49b1-8abe-afe96e93b0ec

:yellowthumb:

Dean Denton
12-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Pretty sure the Steelers were given two first downs tonight that they didn't get. Hell one of them was more then a yard short. Even with bad calls/ no calls, the Steelers play calling cost them the game in the 4th. Red zone fails again on both sides of the field.

SteelerDan43
12-19-2010, 10:35 PM
It's a simple math equation but your equation does not pertain to the debate. More wins = more money for the TEAM. THE TEAM is NOT THE NFL. The NFL needs high TV rating to really make money and those high ratings come from big market teams or teams with very high-scoring offenses. They'll make money of merchandise regardless and furthermore I didn't see anyone walking around with Roethlisberger jerseys after the Steelers' first or second SB in the last 5 years, but everyone and their mother has a Brees jersey. The Steelers haven't been marketable since Kordell Stewart. The NFL has no reason to push them.

--- Added 12/19/2010 at 08:19 PM ---

Because they've won 2 Superbowls in 5 years. Take those away and we do not in any way shape or form have a national fanbase. Right now we simply have a front-runner fanbase, which any team that wins will always have.

Do you remember the "Steeler Fan Blackouts" in places like San Diego before we won the Superbowl? We have been on the tops of the charts in sales for quite some time before the Superbowls included. I don't know what you've seen but I saw quite a few jerseys with the Superbowl patches after those games and at least in Pittsburgh and Rochester I haven't seen diddly squat of Saints gear. What the NFL and the media wants are good story lines, Bettis playing at home to bring the Steelers into a tie for most superbowls is a good story, New England in 2001 good story, New Orleans last year good story, Tampa Oakland bad story. I'd say we are beating a dead horse here, I obviously don't believe any of the anti-Steeler hype as it seems like a bunch of typical Yinzer complaining but I don't think you'll be exactly swayed by my argument either.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Some of them are up here

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Hines-Ward---Post-Game---Jets/6eff9c69-18a3-49b1-8abe-afe96e93b0ec

:yellowthumb:

Thank you babe! :yellowthumb:

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Thank you babe! :yellowthumb:

No problem. Spaeth seems really beat up about that first play in the endzone with 9 seconds left. Said the ball went right through his hands.

LarryNJ
12-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Check your facts on that. Don't make me do it. Check the ratings of SB for the last decade and see if it's higher or lower for big market teams in the SB and small market teams in the SB.

:lol: Dude I think you should check it. The number of views has increased every year for the last decade, along with the cost of a 30 second ad, topping 100,000,000 viewers and $3,000,000 for a 30 second ad last year making it the most watch program ever. That's with those 2 huge markets of Indy and New Orleans. The NFL is a marketing machine that makes more money every year. No matter who's in the game.

SteelDad
12-19-2010, 11:16 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again about the Rooneys. They are in the hip pocket of Comrade Goodell. The evidence is overwhelming. The Rooneys will say absolutely nothing to Goodell about the officiating I guarantee it. This game tonight was not decided by officials. This group let the players play tonight and frankly, I'd rather have that than flags every other play. Were there questionable calls? Yes, as there are with every game. You want a scapegoat then talk to Bruce Arians and Dick LeBeau. Both were outcoached tonight on several key plays tonight. Officials were far from the only problem out there this evening.

Clevelandsux
12-19-2010, 11:31 PM
I disagree too. The steelers fan base got strong during the 1970's. I believe we are the strongest. I've met steelers fans everywhere. It was long before we won the last two super bowls. Heck I suffered through the 1980's for christ sake.

So you might here Browns, Packers, Patriots fans say they are the best. But I vague to differ. Steeler fans are everywhere.

Do I think the NFL has us targeted? Absolutely. Mainly because of James Harrison. We've 2 sb's in the last 5 years. I don't think they want us back in. Never thought I'd say that, but I'm starting to believe it.

Plus with all the allegations with Roethlisberger. I mean yet, they are embracing Michael Vick? WTF?

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2010, 01:09 AM

We are being cheated. Plan and simple and Rooney isn't going to say anything. He is content with this being a lost season.

--- Added 12/19/2010 at 11:09 PM ---

I've said this before and I'll say it again about the Rooneys. They are in the hip pocket of Comrade Goodell. The evidence is overwhelming. The Rooneys will say absolutely nothing to Goodell about the officiating I guarantee it. This game tonight was not decided by officials. This group let the players play tonight and frankly, I'd rather have that than flags every other play. Were there questionable calls? Yes, as there are with every game. You want a scapegoat then talk to Bruce Arians and Dick LeBeau. Both were outcoached tonight on several key plays tonight. Officials were far from the only problem out there this evening.

Sorry...but our WR got mugged on the final drive over and over again. After everything that happened to us in this game, the Refs made sure that the Jets CB's were allowed to grab and hold on that final drive.

Especially on Mike Wallace

coldrolled
12-20-2010, 07:41 AM
We played the Jets like we played the Pats, Saints with the same results, a LOSS!!

Sanchez didn't have a grass stain on his body!!

Maybe rotate Worilds with Woodley.. Maybe Woodley will get a little more of an attitude... And start playing... 2 tackles last night??

stratocaster68
12-20-2010, 09:26 AM
As to the officiating, I think the problem is that these guys are part-time employees with real jobs during the week. I work with a line judge (he worked the Raiders game at Heinz) and he admits he does not know all the rule book by heart. He knows his area of responsibility well but not necessarily the others.

To me the fix for inconsistent officiating is:

1. Make them full time employees.
2. Have regular training camps to make sure they are trained to call the
same plays in the same way as much as possible.
3. Have them memorize the rule book and how it applies to real game situations.
4. Simplify the rules. For example: if holding can be called on every play then
either call it or change the definition. Removing the force-out call on sideline
passed a couple years ago was a great idea.
5. Add another official or someone in the booth who can override a call in specific
situations.

steelersbabex25
12-20-2010, 10:23 AM
As to the officiating, I think the problem is that these guys are part-time employees with real jobs during the week. I work with a line judge (he worked the Raiders game at Heinz) and he admits he does not know all the rule book by heart. He knows his area of responsibility well but not necessarily the others.

To me the fix for inconsistent officiating is:

1. Make them full time employees.
2. Have regular training camps to make sure they are trained to call the
same plays in the same way as much as possible.
3. Have them memorize the rule book and how it applies to real game situations.
4. Simplify the rules. For example: if holding can be called on every play then
either call it or change the definition. Removing the force-out call on sideline
passed a couple years ago was a great idea.
5. Add another official or someone in the booth who can override a call in specific
situations.

6. Have a review for penalties.

stratocaster68
12-20-2010, 10:37 AM
6. Have a review for penalties.

Not bad, but those reviews would have to be very narrowly drawn. The games are slow enough as they are.

franchise3
12-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Maybe rotate Worilds with Woodley.. Maybe Woodley will get a little more of an attitude... And start playing... 2 tackles last night??

Exactly what I have been saying since the first time I saw Worilds in action. Definitely good enough player to replace struggling Woodley.

LatrobePA
12-20-2010, 12:32 PM

As far as I'm concerned Wood can walk after this year, he's been a huge non-factor...

BUT, not knowing what we have in the other guys this wouldn't be wise.

SteelDad
12-20-2010, 01:02 PM
We are being cheated. Plan and simple and Rooney isn't going to say anything. He is content with this being a lost season.

--- Added 12/19/2010 at 11:09 PM ---

Sorry...but our WR got mugged on the final drive over and over again. After everything that happened to us in this game, the Refs made sure that the Jets CB's were allowed to grab and hold on that final drive.

Especially on Mike Wallace

Don't disagree, but if they weren't calling it all game, why would you expect them to call it there?

jnes1216
12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Pretty sure the Steelers were given two first downs tonight that they didn't get. Hell one of them was more then a yard short. Even with bad calls/ no calls, the Steelers play calling cost them the game in the 4th. Red zone fails again on both sides of the field.

I agree, red zone defiencies on both sides of the ball.
Bottom line is with all the officiating we had a chance to win it with two chances at the end of the game. Put it in the endzone and Sanders' noncall is a side note. Or a different play other than Moore's safety and we kick a FG.

Sanchez got rid of the ball very quickly in the beginning of the game, but in the second half there were deeper drops and LeBeau abandoned the blitz again.

portcityblackandgold
12-20-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't want to be a conspiracy nut, but its very obvious that the officiating at Steeler games is different. A starting QB with a broken nose and the obvious other no calls that the tv announcers are starting to point out would be the first clue. The NFL is big business. When we win our 7th Super Bowl this year, it will be hard for the league to continue its blatant support of the Bellicheat, Brady and the Patriot organization. As always we aren't the the branding the 8th Floor at NFL Plaza wants to be associated with.:tt02:

Goodfrom55
12-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Don't forget ablout the block in the back that was waived off on the opening kick off.

It's horrible, but it ain't gonna get any better.

steelchamp204
12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Ok we are seriously starting to sound like lil girls now, can it just stop. Even the ratbird fans on the bmoresun are making fun of us and how much we whine, If we know its gonna happen we might as well go along and brace ourselves for it. The team needs to play better anyway and stop making stupid mistakes (holding,PI, eneligle receiver) this **** all falls on tomlin and the lack of discipline he doesnt show the team,

Goodfrom55
12-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Agree. Complaining about it won't do anything but draw attention to it and it won't go away no matter what. Steelers just have to put themselves in better position, like in the Raiders game so no matter what is called, it doesn't affect the outcome.

coldrolled
12-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Agree. Complaining about it won't do anything but draw attention to it and it won't go away no matter what. Steelers just have to put themselves in better position, like in the Raiders game so no matter what is called, it doesn't affect the outcome.

100% :yellowthumb:

steelersbabex25
12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Ok we are seriously starting to sound like lil girls now, can it just stop. Even the ratbird fans on the bmoresun are making fun of us and how much we whine, If we know its gonna happen we might as well go along and brace ourselves for it. The team needs to play better anyway and stop making stupid mistakes (holding,PI, eneligle receiver) this **** all falls on tomlin and the lack of discipline he doesnt show the team,

EVEN THE RATBIRD FANS ARE MAKING FUN OF US? OH GOD. HOW WILL WE GO ON?!

LarryNJ
12-20-2010, 10:45 PM

That might not bother you but this did! :lol::lol:

Ok we are seriously starting to sound like lil girls now

Goodfrom55
12-20-2010, 11:00 PM
This about sums it up. . .now it's time to move on.

Jets caught break on Lowery grab
Did Dwight Lowery get away with a pass-interference penalty on the long pass to Emmanuel Sanders? Rex Ryan dodged the question Monday, which pretty much tells us that, yes, Lowery got away with it.

"I never saw that," Ryan said, smiling.

The play in question began with 29 seconds left in the New York Jets' 22-17 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. From the Jets' 26, Ben Roethlisberger threw long for Sanders. It was overthrown, incomplete, but replays showed that Lowery grabbed Sanders' jersey from behind and jerked him, slowing him down at the 7-yard line.

"I'll say this: That was a December game between two physical teams, and they let us play," Ryan said of the officials. "They let us decide it on the field. I thought that was great. That's what you want."

Wonder if he'd be saying the same thing if it happened to one of the Jets' receivers.

NYCsteelersfan
12-21-2010, 01:55 AM
Steelers just have to put themselves in better position, like in the Raiders game so no matter what is called, it doesn't affect the outcome.

You can't overcome biased officiating and put yourself in a dominant position to win against good teams. That's the problem. We're 10-4 because we played some damn awful teams this season and bad officiating wasn't enough to make the difference. We're not going to be playing the Browns or Bengals or Oakland or any other joke of a team in the playoffs. We're going to play good teams. You can't beat the officials AND a good team unless you get a miracle play like Roethlisberger's shoe-string tackle vs. the Colts in 2005 after the officials tried to steal the game for the Colts by overturning the Polomalu interception.

mwittman5
12-21-2010, 02:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7zroSULzpk
at the 25 sec mark start looking at the upper right and you can see sanders I believe getting held. Even though Ben is scrambling you cannot grab the receiver like that

steelchamp204
12-21-2010, 06:34 AM

Yep, sorry I dont want to be in with the "whine" category with ratbird fans. But I dont think you mind, so whatever floats your boat.