PDA

View Full Version : Poor special teams + poor offensive play calling=Loss

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Without that horrible runback for a TD and without the horrible play call to run the ball on your own 2 which resulted in a safety, the Steelers win this game. So far this year I haven't been too upset with the Steelers special team but they just did a shotty job all around today. Did the Jets ever start behind their own 30? I don't think they did. That's the problem. You can't give them that. The offense scored 17 points, you can't ask much more of them going on how well they've been playing the last few games. This is on the defense and the special teams. Period.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2010, 08:25 PM
You hit the nail on the head......Special teams blew chunks today........Suisham makes all of his field goals but is worse then Reed on kick-offs........The play-calling was just awful and noway around it........Such a frustrating loss on so many levels.....Considering the Steelers opened the 2nd half marching down the field for a go ahead TD.........

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Absolutely epic failure on ST. They were terrible all day long, on a day when the game was close you can't have breakdowns like that. ON the opening kickoff no less. That combined with the safety killed this team today. I'm disgusted that we had this great chance and blew it.

LarryNJ
12-19-2010, 08:30 PM
ST definitely sucked today and was the main reason for the loss. I don't think the play calling was that bad. Actually the O played better than they have in weeks, that was a bright side.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 08:33 PM
ST definitely sucked today and was the main reason for the loss. I don't think the play calling was that bad. Actually the O played better than they have in weeks, that was a bright side.

I didn't really mean the play calling, I meant more the play call. You know what I'm talking about. That one play call outweighs any good that BA might have done today.

JensK
12-19-2010, 08:35 PM
On a good note: Mendenhall played amazingly well today, against a very competent Jets defence.

LatrobePA
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
The holding call missed on 88 was another reason we lost...

F these officals!!

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 08:38 PM
On a good note: Mendenhall played amazingly well today, against a very competent Jets defence.

True. He almost had 6 yards a carry I believe.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Another positive I think Jonathen Scott left the game with injury.....Don't know if it was serious........I'm not the biggest fan of Trai Essex either but Scott has been dreadful since taking over for Max Starks....Hard to imagine Essex doing worst even though Essex has been just as dreadful at RG.......But Ktrain has said many times Essex is a better fit at OT.....I would take a corpse over Scott right now.....

LatrobePA
12-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Essex's was money....Keep him there, Mendy ran with pure power tonight...

steelchamp204
12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Can we all atleast agree that the line looked much improved tonight than over the past few weeks? Kinda almost looked like the pats line(ok, maybe like half of the pats line)

LarryNJ
12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I didn't really mean the play calling, I meant more the play call. You know what I'm talking about. That one play call outweighs any good that BA might have done today.
:lol::yesnod:

LatrobePA
12-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Can we all atleast agree that the line looked much improved tonight than over the past few weeks? Kinda almost looked like the pats line(ok, maybe like half of the pats line)

Looked good but they dropped more in coverage than all out blitz..

DanRooney
12-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Arians is the worst. Notice how Rex Ryan called TOs on 2nd and 3rd down and LET Bruce Arians call 2 plays at the end of the game. Isn't it weird Ben marched down the entire length of the field in no huddle?

SteelDad
12-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Anyone else think that Hines was open in the end zone on the final play? Looked like it to me.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Anyone else think that Hines was open in the end zone on the final play? Looked like it to me.

He was, but not for long. Ben wasn't looking his way so it didn't matter. If you ask Jim Nantz and Phil Simms though, the Jets had flawless protection.

SteelDad
12-19-2010, 11:36 PM
He was, but not for long. Ben wasn't looking his way so it didn't matter. If you ask Jim Nantz and Phil Simms though, the Jets had flawless protection.

Ya, I didn't mean like 'busted coverage' open but if BR had been looking for that he could have hit him.

I think Nantz normally does a nice job, but those two tonight were about as biased as a single A baseball announcer. It was pathetic.

steelerschick1220
12-19-2010, 11:38 PM
The O played pretty well today. Better then they have in the past couple weeks. And Ben you need to go to Arians, Tomlin, or someone and demand that we start running the no huddle more. When we use it Ben marches us down the field 9 times outta 10 and gets us some type of points. We need to use it in more situations then desperation or the two minute drill.

ST teams.....flat out they sucked today. D really wasn't that spectacular either. We really missed Troy. IMO, if he plays he makes one play to change the game.

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2010, 12:54 AM
We had the lead after we got the ball in the 3rd Qtr. The Jets did the same thing to us the Patriots did by short passing us to death and the CB's sitting back and not being agressive.

I'm so damn tired of the CB not making plays. And alot of it has to do with Lebeau taking away their agressiveness by telling them to give so much cushion.

Rampage
12-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I place 100% of the blame on special teams. The opening kickoff spotted the Jets 7 points, and it fell apart after that. It seemed like the Jets were always starting with a short field after kickoffs and punts and the Steelers were inside the five. You can't win too many games when you have to put together 90 + yard drives to score and the opponent only has to go 50 to 70. A complete let down by the special teams.