PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu doubtful for Sunday

Goodfrom55
12-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Not what I wanted to hear 1st thing in the morning.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10351/1111429-66.stm

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-17-2010, 06:52 AM
We neeeeed Troy but he might not play due to his injury he re-agrivated last week!!!

DIESELMAN
12-17-2010, 07:32 AM
If his Achilles injury is acting up more, then it's a wise move to have him not playing. I'd rather him be healthy for the playoffs, instead of risking him tearing that Achilles and be out for the year. Our D will be fine without him against the lifeless Jets.

Goodfrom55
12-17-2010, 07:36 AM
If in fact Troy does not play, who is the better option, Mundy or Will Allen? I'm leaning towards the verteran Allen, but Mundy has been here for a few years and knows the defense a little better. Bottom line, as potentially erratic as Sanchez tends to be, especially in colder weather, it's up to the front 7 to make sure he doesn't get comfortable in the pocket.

This might be a game where the offense actually has to play better than the (Steelers) defense and take the pressure off of them (for once). Offense has been pretty anemic, scoring-wise since the Raiders blow out.

--- Added 12/17/2010 at 06:36 AM ---

Rumor around Jets camp is Sanchez has a shoulder injury that he is not disclosing to the team.

SteelDad
12-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Do not underestimate his loss folks. His presence in there against Santonio on those slants and in routes is crucial. Take him away and that spells trouble. Yes I know Sanchez blows right now, but nevertheless. His importance in stopping the run is huge as well.

DanRooney
12-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Do not underestimate his loss folks. His presence in there against Santonio on those slants and in routes is crucial. Take him away and that spells trouble. Yes I know Sanchez blows right now, but nevertheless. His importance in stopping the run is huge as well.

We'll be fine without him. Our seconday was amazing last year. William Gay, Joe Burnett and Tyrone Carter were spectacular. Underestimate his loss? Mundy will make us say, 'Troy who?'

Goodfrom55
12-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Ike will be locked up with Santonio and McFadden will get Edwards. Again, the success of the defense will be predicated on the front 7 pressuring Sanchez. They don't necessarilly have to sack him 6 times, but they have to pressure him, give him "Happy Feet", so he is not comfortable back there. WHen pressed, Sanchez likes to hit the check down so Timmons and Potsie will have to be sure to respect the check down.

Question is, who is a better fit, Mundy or Allen?

steelersbabex25
12-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Christ. Can't this man stay healthy for more than a month?

Goodfrom55
12-17-2010, 08:31 AM
It's his style of play which makes him vulnerable to injury. Let's face it, Troy is not (your) conventional Safety.

Something to chew on here: If the Steelers lose this week, they still hold the #2 seeding. Obviously I want them to win, but not the end of the world if they don't. Not to mention, the Ravens looke quite pedestrian in their secondary, and the Sanits are coming to town. I think the Saints are gonna give the Ravens a fit on Sunday and I look for them to beat the Ravens.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Steelers' Polamalu not likely to play vs. Jets
Friday, December 17, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201012/x20101217steelers_330.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is dealing with a lower-leg injury.

Troy Polamalu, who has made game-changing defensive plays in each of the past three games, is not expected to play Sunday against the New York Jets after aggravating his lower-leg injury on a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Polamalu has not practiced the past two days, which has been the routine for the five-time Pro Bowl safety since he was injured last month. But he has always practiced Friday and played Sunday -- until now.
The Steelers do not have to list Polamalu's official injury status for the game until today after practice. He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Ryan Mundy or Will Allen.
Despite aggravating his injury in the second quarter against the Bengals, Polamalu never missed a play and even had a second interception in the fourth quarter.
His teammates have suggested that one of the reasons he lateraled the ball to cornerback Bryant McFadden on the second interception -- a move that upset coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau -- was because Polamalu did not want to continue to run with his injury, especially because it could have been a lengthy return.
Polamalu, who has four of his team-high six interceptions during the team's four-game winning streak, has been a defensive hero lately.
His diving interception at the Steelers' 2 in the final three minutes in Buffalo prevented the Bills from tying the game or scoring the go-ahead touchdown in the Steelers' overtime victory. The following week, his strip sack on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco led to the winning touchdown with 2:51 remaining in a 13-10 victory in Baltimore. And his interception return for touchdown against the Bengals tied the score and ignited the Steelers in a 23-7 victory.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351/1111429-66.stm#ixzz18NLU77qE

LatrobePA
12-17-2010, 08:36 AM
bummer!

jpele
12-17-2010, 09:13 AM
First the article says "not likely to play" doesn't mean he's out.

If he is out we're in trouble because Dick will go to a soft zone coverage and even though Sanchez sucks he will have all day to look for his receivers.

igor0190
12-17-2010, 09:17 AM
CRAP... first game in Pittsburgh and no Heath or Troy :cursin:

Terrible news first thing in the morning. I'm not going to even bother telling my gf as Troy is her favorite player.

I guess it is all about the bigger picture though... SB#7

TampaSteelGirl
12-17-2010, 09:23 AM
i would rather have him healthy for playoffs.....:OA02:

All we need to do is put constant pressure on Sanchez and he'll fark up all by himself and he won't even have a chance to throw to Santonio.....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Troy isn't a spring chicken anymore, he's made it through most of the year playing ever game. I hope he can play this weekend because this game is the last real tough game we have in the season before the playoffs. Not having Troy in the lineup is a huge disadvantage for an already inconsistent secondary.

Goodfrom55
12-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Guess we'll see what happens. I don't the Steelers will "call off the dogs" if Troy isn't in there. Doing so and even Sanchez would pick them apart. WHat might happen is either Mundy or Allen will play for Troy and LT will take over the role of "monster" and have to be that guy who makes the big play. By no means is the sky falling, but I feel a little like Linus right now without my blankie.

igor0190
12-17-2010, 11:03 AM
By no means is the sky falling, but I feel a little like Linus right now without my blankie.

Lol, interesting way of putting it.

If a week or two off will help Troy fully recover I guess the team has to consider it. If he doesnt play this week, I find it unlikely that he will play thursday against the Panthers either. My first two games at Heinz without Troy :(

SteelDad
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
We'll be fine without him. Our seconday was amazing last year. William Gay, Joe Burnett and Tyrone Carter were spectacular. Underestimate his loss? Mundy will make us say, 'Troy who?'

To quote David Spade: "I'm no stranger to sarcasm." :lol:

coldrolled
12-17-2010, 12:01 PM
These things happen.... well its about time the offense scores 30+ points on a good team... The One week the offense needs to help out the defense...

This is the week... Go Ben....

steelchamp204
12-17-2010, 12:04 PM
This is FREAKING HUGE. Whoever think this isnt, seriously, stop drinking the koolaid.

LatrobePA
12-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I agree, maybe just maybe the offense can bail out the defense this week by hanging more than 9 on their ***!!

mwittman5
12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
might as well rest him the rest of the way so hes ready for playoffs. The next 3 QB's are sanchez, clausen, and mccoy. The blitzes should be enough to rattle them

Goodfrom55
12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
All that being said in our collective posts, the one thing that goes unanswered, who plays for Troy, Mundy or the verteran Allen?

igor0190
12-17-2010, 01:23 PM
All that being said in our collective posts, the one thing that goes unanswered, who plays for Troy, Mundy or the verteran Allen?

I would be surprised if they don't give Mundy the chance. You never know with the coaches and their love of veteran players though. Mundy has had enough years to learn the system and I think it's time he shows if he's for real or not.

mwittman5
12-17-2010, 01:50 PM

http://twitter.com/Ken_Laird

Mundy

jpele
12-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Free safety Ryan Clark, who played some strong safety in last week's game against Cincinnati, is expected to replace Polamalu at strong safety. Ryan Mundy will play free safety.

Link (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714259.html)

Goodfrom55
12-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, he is younger, and has been in the system for 3 years. Hopefullt this translates into solid coverage. I worry though, because Mundy has been known to, at times make some mental errors (stupid penalties). Hopefully Clark and company pick up the slack.

--- Added 12/17/2010 at 01:03 PM ---

Free safety Ryan Clark, who played some strong safety in last week's game against Cincinnati, is expected to replace Polamalu at strong safety. Ryan Mundy will play free safety.

Link (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714259.html)

thanks for the update. Glad to see Miller practiced today, as did Silverback.

Jets offense is struggling no doubt, but when the writers, analysts all pick the Steelers in a landslide (as they all have), it's usually not a good outcome for the men in black.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2010, 02:29 PM
I knew after Troy's pick six he wasn't going to play this week.......Doesn't matter how great he is if he can't stay healthy.....No shock he is injured and missing games yet again......They better wrap Troy in bubble wrap and not play him the rest of the season.........Really there is no need to play Troy the rest of the year.......

If this team can't win two out of three against the Jets, Panthers, Browns, without Troy then they don't deserve the 2nd seed in the play-offs...........

cmerrifield
12-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I would much rather Troy rest this week and next week. We can afford to loose this week and I think we can beat the Panthers without Troy. It will be the Browns we have to beat if the Ravens win out to keep the tie-breaker.

Big T
12-17-2010, 02:51 PM
great. So now Mark Sanchez really is gonna look like the All-Pro the media makes him out to be.

biglarrythree
12-17-2010, 03:55 PM
great. So now Mark Sanchez really is gonna look like the All-Pro the media makes him out to be.

No way this happens. I have faith in our front 7. I think Lebeau is gonna exploit The Sanchise for the true fraud that he is on Sunday. I am so jacked for this game!!! Let's bury those Jets!:cope:

SteelersWoman
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM
...Mundy will make us say, 'Troy who?'

You're a funny guy lol

Christ. Can't this man stay healthy for more than a month?

Even "unhealthy" (which he's pretty much been all season), it hasn't been all that noticeable :yellowthumb:

Cricker24
12-17-2010, 04:31 PM
i'd be lying if i said i wasn't a little concerned about Polamalu being out, but let's think about this for a minute. the Jets are a running team first and foremost and they are NOT running against the Steelers defense. so, that puts the pressure on Sanchez to win the game. against the Patriots Sanchez completed barely 50% of his passes and threw for 164 yards and 3 INTs. against the Dolphins he completed 39% of his passes and threw for 216 yards and an interception. now, i understand the Steelers secondary hasn't been the best this year, but wouldn't you agree that it's better than the Patriots secondary and at least as good as the Dolphins? i think not having Troy back there might make the game close, but i still see the Steelers winning 20-16. everyone worried that without Aaron Smith the run defense would suffer, but i think we've held our own (60 yards rushing per game). perhaps the same will happen with Polamalu out...the rest of the secondary will rise up. have faith Steeler Nation!!

Chris

andyg1984
12-17-2010, 05:25 PM
by now i feel this happens enough to the point to where it is like we should have a better plan b

LatrobePA
12-17-2010, 06:41 PM
This will help Dirty Sanchez's chance for a bounce back game...

Farrior Fan
12-18-2010, 10:42 AM
With no Troy our secondary is one of the worst 5 in the league:imho:

Clark can hit like a Mack truck but cannot cover. Ike is great, love the guy. The problem is our other CB, no matter who we put out there he is going to get burned multiple times UNLESS our Dline and LBs get pressure on the QB. As mentioned earlier we may as well blitz Gay a lot since he cannot cover. I have faith that we can shut down the Jets but only because their qb blows and once we get in his head he will be useless. But if he completes 3 or 4 quick passes to start the game then we could be in trouble. On the other side of the ball we must be able to run which has proven to be near impossible with our crappy Oline. This could be a 6-3 game and a turnover will likely win it. Lets just hope that 92 and 56 both show up big time.

coldrolled
12-18-2010, 11:00 AM
With no Troy our secondary is one of the worst 5 in the league:imho:

The Jets are out both their starting safties.

and Woody...

LatrobePA
12-18-2010, 11:05 AM
The Jets are out both their starting safties.

and Woody...

Yea and BA will have plays designed to attack the corners!!

steelerschick1220
12-18-2010, 11:37 AM
This sucks no doubt, but I have faith that our D can do well enough for this game and the next two should they choose to sit Troy out. Would much rather him be healthy for the playoffs. Our D SHOULD be able to handle the likes of Sanchez, whoever the Panthers start, and McCoy without him.

And the Jets safties are out....but knowing Arians he will come out and try running the ball.

LatrobePA
12-18-2010, 12:11 PM
99% of the Jets players think he'll play!!

harpo
12-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I just heard via NFL Network, that Polamalu might be out for the final three games.