PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Latest Blog - Ben & Arians discuss red zone issues

stratocaster68
12-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Got this just now:

"Ben Roethlisberger tells me that one reason he believes the Steelers have been so unsuccessful in the red zone is because they’re trying to get it all in one play. He said both he and Bruce Arians have talked about it this week and they’re making efforts to view it as a package of plays rather than trying to get into the end zone on first down."

DanRooney
12-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Running it from first and goal from the 9 is trying to get it all in one play? God, Bruce is a moron.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I'd be interested in knowing from what yard line they consider it as "trying to get it done in 1 play"? If you're running from first and goal at the 5, that's fine. If you're passing from first and goal at the 5 or 10, that's fine too. If you're talking about going to the endzone from the 20 all the time, then yeah maybe you should rethink that. :bonk:

That's our wonderful offensive coordinator at his finest :thud: If it don't work, try try try the same thing over and over and over so it still doesn't work. I don't know how many times we have screamed for Heath or Matt Spaeth in the back of the end zone, or a Tackle eligible play. It's not rocket science. Use your weapons to your advantage. This whole, we're going to do this because that's what we do mentality just drives me nuts.

Scorp
12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Ward said the return of tight end Heath Miller, who sat out the game last week against Cincinnati because of a concussion he sustained the previous week against Baltimore, could pay big dividends against the Jets.

The Jets have some injuries at safety. Safety Jim Leonhard is out for the season with a leg injury and his replacement, Eric Smith did not practice Wednesday and is uncertain to play Sunday because of a concussion.

"They play so much man-to-man," Ward said. "They have a couple of safeties that are out. I like our matchup with Heath in man-to-man. We may not get as many opportunities. Who knows? Maybe Heath is the matchup problem."

The Steelers have not scored a touchdown when a possession started in their territory since the opening drive of the Nov. 28 game at Buffalo. The only other touchdown in the past 11 quarters came when Troy Polamalu's strip sack set the offense up at the 9 late in the game against the Ravens.

"We know we're struggling a little bit on offense," Roethlisberger said. "I think we're moving the ball and doing some good things. But, when we get to the red zone, we just haven't taken that next step to get in.

"Maybe on first down [in the red zone], I'm looking to score every time instead of getting some yards. I take some of that blame. We just have to make sure we don't panic and don't try to do too much because it's too important when you get down there to put some points on the board."

--- Added 12/16/2010 at 03:18 PM ---

Maybe before the game someone needs to hogtie BA in the locker room. What kind of talk is this really?

LatrobePA
12-16-2010, 04:19 PM
BA dinking, lol it'll never happen!!

Goodfrom55
12-16-2010, 04:41 PM
1st and goal is almost always a give away down because BA usually calls some kind of obvious dive play. Depending on down and distance, on 1st down, cut that deficit in half, on 2nd and 3rd down, try to get it in.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2010, 07:59 PM
That's the whole problem, we are so predictable. Even our gadget plays are predictable and they almost never work. Other teams use the TE or Tackle eligible, or do more QB bootlegs, hell anything other than what we always do that clearly doesn't work.

Raleigh Steel
12-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Running it from first and goal from the 9 is trying to get it all in one play? God, Bruce is a moron.

:lol:

what about first and goal from the one against the saints? we couldn't even get it all in one play there either...or 2 plays...or 3 plays...or 4 plays.:banging:

Blazedby92
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Problems, BA is still the predictable O-cord and the O-line,well the only one on that line that is a ROCK is a ROOK

steelerschick1220
12-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Arians is an idiot. He has no imagination or creativity when we get in the red zone at all.

Hey Ben if we are lucky enough to even get in the red zone on sunday, I think you need have trouble hearing the plays Arians calls into you. I'm sure we would be better off with you doing whatever.

LatrobePA
12-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Arians is an idiot. He has no imagination or creativity when we get in the red zone at all.

Hey Ben if we are lucky enough to even get in the red zone on sunday, I think you need have trouble hearing the plays Arians calls into you. I'm sure we would be better off with you doing whatever.

:tt02::cope::tt02::yellowthumb:

steelfury455
12-17-2010, 01:10 AM
we used to be a great screen team. what happened to that? i think its an o-line issue but inside the red zone an executed screen would be great! none of that WR bubble screen crap or middle screen. i totally picture all of us predicting the play as the offence lines up on the 11 yard line...lol...

DIESELMAN
12-17-2010, 08:17 AM
When you look at just red zone efficiency, we are good at 89%, 36 trips inside the 20, we have scored 32 times. When you break it down a little more, we suck, 36 trips inside the 20, 16 TD's and 16 FG's. BA is Mr inefficient, Mr unimaginative and Mr ****ingpredictable.

Goodfrom55
12-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Would love to see some wildcat option down there. Agree with roll outs, just be less predictable is all it really takes.

Scorp
12-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and coordinator Bruce Arians discussed the Steelers' red-zone problems on offense this week, and both came to the same conclusion: They are held back by their eagerness to reach the end zone.

Could the key to scoring six points instead of three actually lie in the philosophy of trying too hard? Might they reach their goal by settling for less on first down?

The Steelers rank 27th in the NFL, scoring touchdowns just 44.4 percent of the time once they pull inside the opponent's 20.

"B.A. and I talked about it a little bit the other day," Roethlisberger said. "I think we both had the same mindset; you get down there and it's 'how can we score on this play?' "

Instead of trying to get it all on first down, they plan to take a different approach.

"We're trying to take the mentality of not trying to score every time," Roethlisberger said. "You know, you get down there and you almost get greedy -- score, score, score, score -- where maybe it's better to take the 5-yard route, put yourself in second-and-5 and now you can run the ball, and, if you get 1 or 2 yards, you're in third-and-short."

Against Cincinnati, the Steelers had first downs at the Bengals' 5 once and at the 9 another time and settled for field goals. They reached the Bengals' 15 on another occasion and punted after going backward. In Baltimore the previous week, they had a first down at the 2 and wound up kicking a field goal.

"Our first-and-10 passing has not been very good," Arians noted. "It's probably a little bit of my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple short ones."

That was one of two areas Arians mentioned that have failed the Steelers in the red zone. He called the team's running game inside the 20 "poor."

"We're averaging about 1.5 a carry from the 20 down," Arians said. "Actually in our goal-line offense, we've been very, very good; it's just we don't get in there often."

Arians blamed the blocking and not halfback Rashard Mendenhall for the inability to run effectively in the red zone.

"It's not him. We have to block better. It's normal this time of the year. About everything you do is on tape; you're not going to surprise anybody with very many new things. You got to block 'em and make people miss."

The Steelers have cracked the 20 36 times and come away with 16 touchdowns and 16 field goals. It has become exasperating for them recently because the offense has managed just one touchdown in the past 11 quarters, on a 9-yard drive to beat Baltimore after Troy Polamalu created a turnover.

"We want to score touchdowns,'' coach Mike Tomlin proclaimed this week. "In the recent past, we haven't done as well as we'd like. There are a myriad of reasons, usually centered around execution and detail. We're going to work toward getting better this week ... we're not executing in that area to our liking because we're not executing in that area to our liking."

coach
12-18-2010, 12:46 AM
When you look at just red zone efficiency, we are good at 89%, 36 trips inside the 20, we have scored 32 times. When you break it down a little more, we suck, 36 trips inside the 20, 16 TD's and 16 FG's. BA is Mr inefficient, Mr unimaginative and Mr ****ingpredictable.

I disagree that BA is mr. unimaginative (nudge nudge wink wink). He imagines the following plays will work every game despite the fact that they don't work:
-Run off tackle on first play of game
-Throw bubble screen on second play
-Let Ben drop back (hope the O-line can give him 4.5 - 6 seconds to allow a deep route and watch Ben run all over the place because the line can't give him more then 3 seconds) and throw an incomplete pass on third play of game
-punt and hope when we get the ball back our gadget play will work next time we get to the 40

Totally predictable,totally stubborn and totally frustrating.

coldrolled
12-18-2010, 07:59 AM
hopefully ben is ready to go no huddle and hurry up often now, it is the end of the season he should be ready to go.. thats our only hope... till next year when arians is unemployed.

Blazedby92
12-18-2010, 08:37 AM
:plus1:
hopefully ben is ready to go no huddle and hurry up often now, it is the end of the season he should be ready to go.. thats our only hope... till next year when arians is unemployed.

steelerschick1220
12-18-2010, 11:29 AM
And yeah we should do the hurry up and no huddle way more then we currently are. IMO, Ben really excells in running the O just spur of the moment.