PDA

View Full Version : Open season on BEN!!

LatrobePA
12-12-2010, 07:51 PM
If I were a team I'd do it too, these refs aren't throwing flags...I counted 5 times today. 3 of them for sure!!

It's very uneven!!

coach
12-12-2010, 07:54 PM
We aint gettin no love from the refs. You're right, why not? You aint gonna get flagged and you aint gonna get fined.

LatrobePA
12-12-2010, 08:10 PM
We aint gettin no love from the refs. You're right, why not? You aint gonna get flagged and you aint gonna get fined.

Sounds like a T-shirt idea???lol

KSSteelerfan
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I heard today on the internet feed of the game that according to the stats the Steelers were getting flagged twice to every one flag that was thrown against the Bungles....It's glaringly obvious that the orders comimg down from the league office is to penalize the Steelers whether it's a legitimate penalty or not....The Commish has got it out for the Steelers...there seems to be no other explanation.....I did like though when the crowd was chanting "Hey Ref, You Suck"!!!!!:lol::clap:

LatrobePA
12-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Even Ben couldn't believe the one to the back of his head and face!!

steelchamp204
12-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I say we all go the game together and put flags all over our bodies and wear a harrison jersey, then have a banner below us saying, "we got this", then have fake money glued to our jersey's to save the refs time on james lol.

lloydfan4life
12-12-2010, 08:27 PM
..... and they STILL found a way to win! :woot:

Ben is one tough SOB!! :cope:

Speeed
12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I think many of those "fouls" were just products of hard play, with no malicious intent. Last year they would not have been an issue. However, the leagues self proclaimed crusade against such plays has been lopsided. And I agree, the ones against Ben should have been called based on the new stance taken by the league. There is something amiss.

However, we can revel in the fact that Big Ben does what he does. The more difficult his circumstances become, the better he does for the team. Whatever it takes.

The plays after the whistle where he is kicked, elbow smashed, and generally abused are different. That needs to be called, this year of last.

Go get em' Ben, grrrrrr. . . .. . .

steelersbabex25
12-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I did like though when the crowd was chanting "Hey Ref, You Suck"!!!!!:lol::clap:

:lol: I'm so glad I got to be a part of that cheer today.

The penalty calls were pretty unreal today. We all saw the hit to Ben and everyone was pretty amazed that there was no flag there. Like, come on. There's a lot of things that you can look the other way on as a ref, but that was wayyyyy after he threw the ball and there was no flag. That's happening too often. You can't make up these new rules to protect the quarterback, and then exclude Ben. It's getting too obvious now.

Clevelandsux
12-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I agree, it's total bullshit. There should have been a call in this game.

Farrior Fan
12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
was it just me or did Ben get stepped on/kicked? I missed that part on the VCR. Anyone know where I can find a link?

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-12-2010, 10:41 PM
At least 2 calls for hitting the helmet of the QB should have been called,plus there was another that could have been called for a hit around the knees.

I would just like to see consistency in the calls, if Harrison makes any of those hits it's a flag and fine. That's the whole issue is ya have to call the penalties equally across the league...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2010, 11:06 PM
This has been going on all year long. It's no long just sour grapes by Steeler fans. They have a legitimate gripe right now with the NFL. Ben took a shot to the head, no flag. Holding calls against Wood and Harrison, no flags. Pass interference against our WR's atleast twice, no flags. These officials don't want to toss flags in favor of our offense because Ben is such the "tough guy" and has such great escapability. It's not fair and it puts us behind the 8 ball every week.

If that were Harrison or Wood they would be flagged 9 ways to Sunday for the hits they dish out. All we want is an evenly called game!

Root4Stlrs
12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
This has been going on all year long. It's no long just sour grapes by Steeler fans. They have a legitimate gripe right now with the NFL. Ben took a shot to the head, no flag. Holding calls against Wood and Harrison, no flags. Pass interference against our WR's atleast twice, no flags. These officials don't want to toss flags in favor of our offense because Ben is such the "tough guy" and has such great escapability. It's not fair and it puts us behind the 8 ball every week.

If that were Harrison or Wood they would be flagged 9 ways to Sunday for the hits they dish out. All we want is an evenly called game!

You are exactly right, but the stuff about Ben has been going on for a long time - see the shot to head in Atlanta that caused his conscussion several years ago. It's just become more obvious this year because it's been so blatant.

LatrobePA
12-13-2010, 09:42 AM
The past few weeks starting against Oakland is when I really noticed it. Though we have won most of those games they have felt like a loss to me just having to watch the lopsided calls...

igor0190
12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
was it just me or did Ben get stepped on/kicked? I missed that part on the VCR. Anyone know where I can find a link?

Yah, there was a point where the announcers said something about that. He was on the ground and I think he was kicked or stepped on.

JensK
12-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Yah, there was a point where the announcers said something about that. He was on the ground and I think he was kicked or stepped on.

He was accidently hit by a knee. It was just a Bengals player trying to get up.

LarryNJ
12-13-2010, 10:14 AM
This has been going on all year long. It's no long just sour grapes by Steeler fans. They have a legitimate gripe right now with the NFL. Ben took a shot to the head, no flag.

That's all fine and well but it's not just the Steelers. Watch other games it happens everywhere. Did you happen to see Andy Reid freaking out last night when Vick got hit after maybe being a step or two out of bounds. The games are not called consistently for sure. But the NFL is out to get the Steelers or keep them from winning conspiracy theories are waaaay overboard in my opinion and make us sound like a 3 year olds who throw fits when they don't get what they want.

LatrobePA
12-13-2010, 10:15 AM
He was accidently hit by a knee. It was just a Bengals player trying to get up.

I agree that one was harmless...

Raleigh Steel
12-13-2010, 10:22 AM
even skip bay(clue)less said today that it is open season on big ben.

remember when the eagles played the colts, manning was grazed on the back of the head, barely a touch of his helmet and he got a flag...ben gets hit in the face (nose broken), and hit in the head/face the very next week and gets nothing?????

come on....

Root4Stlrs
12-13-2010, 10:35 AM
That's all fine and well but it's not just the Steelers. Watch other games it happens everywhere. Did you happen to see Andy Reid freaking out last night when Vick got hit after maybe being a step or two out of bounds. The games are not called consistently for sure. But the NFL is out to get the Steelers or keep them from winning conspiracy theories are waaaay overboard in my opinion and make us sound like a 3 year olds who throw fits when they don't get what they want.

It's not just the Steelers - it's also Michael Vick, but I disagree, it's isn't all the other teams in terms of the lack of protection. Other QB's are protected more consistently than Ben or Mike Vick. What else do they have in common other than escapability - they've both brought bad press to the league. How many personal fouls have been called this year on players who hit Ben late or hit his head? Same as Blutarksy's GPA. I'm not into conspiracy theories but I think there's a mindset when a ref can actually say (and this has happened two weeks in a row) to a QB that "he was just trying to tackle you" so a blow to the head doesn't count. Is that what the rule says - the ref shall determine intent before throwing the flag? I don't think so.

LatrobePA
12-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Vick is the only other QB getting abused!! The hit out of bounds on him was a joke and no flag to boot!

These (lack of) officals should be ashamed!! They get paid to do a JOB, do IT!!

igor0190
12-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Vick is the only other QB getting abused!! The hit out of bounds on him was a joke and no flag to boot!

I actually disagree with the Vick thing... If he doesn't want to get hit like that he needs to give up a yard or two and not cut it that close with a defender. It is ridiculous that we expect these defensive players to stop their momentum and lay up on these QB's so much. Some responsibility has to be put on the QB in that situation as well.

regarding the Ben hits, he is 6'5" tall and getting whacked in the head from defensive players IS NOT part of them trying to tackle him regardless of what the refs say. A hit to the head like those in Sundays game are called for other QB's and should be called for Ben too! Just because he is hard to bring down, doesn't mean they have the right to whack him in the head.

Root4Stlrs
12-13-2010, 11:47 AM
regarding the Ben hits, he is 6'5" tall and getting whacked in the head from defensive players IS NOT part of them trying to tackle him regardless of what the refs say. A hit to the head like those in Sundays games are called for other QB's and should be called for Ben too! Just because he is hard to bring down, doesn't mean they have the right to whack him in the head.

What's your theory as to why they are allowed to continue doing that? Refs obviously see it and say it's o.k. That's the thing that really puzzles me.

LarryNJ
12-13-2010, 12:10 PM
. Other QB's are protected more consistently than Ben or Mike Vick.

Brady and Manning yes..but that's it. Brady you can understand, he is the best and in almost every sport the best of the best get calls their way. For example, Michael Jordan, Crosby, the best pitchers in baseball always have bigger strike zones.

igor0190
12-13-2010, 12:19 PM
What's your theory as to why they are allowed to continue doing that? Refs obviously see it and say it's o.k. That's the thing that really puzzles me.

Completely puzzles me as well... For the refs to actually say to Ben that "the defensive player was just trying to tackle you" is totally stating that yeah, we saw him hit you in the head and didn't call it because he was trying to tackle you. Ridiculous. Is that not a complete admittance of the fact that there is a double standard for different types of QB's??? I mean c'mon, that explanation WOULD NOT fly with Brady or peyton.

Why the hell wouldn't the refs just say I didn't see it? :cursin:

steelersbabex25
12-13-2010, 02:45 PM
In Ben's post game interview he said after he got hit late he got up and asked the ref why there wasn't a flag, and he got the same response that he got last week. "He was just trying to tackle you."

Okay yeah we know he was just trying to tackle him. Problem is he was trying to tackle him 3 seconds after Ben had thrown the ball.

mwittman5
12-13-2010, 02:51 PM
ya their just trying to tackle Ben. Isn't Harrison just trying to tackle QB's too? :thinking:

LatrobePA
12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
ya their just trying to tackle Ben. Isn't Harrison just trying to tackle QB's too? :thinking:

That sums it up!

steelfury455
12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
There sure seems to be alot of no calls against Ben but I'm trying to ignore that due to my bias. Watching other games you do see no calls but when it comes to your team you're more vocal about it. Amazing how the game has degraded to the point where every INC the WR motions for PI, every QB complains of being hit, just everyone claiming violations in their favor because of the "new" rules. Sick of Goodell and this years officiating and how it has changed the game...

Farrior Fan
12-13-2010, 05:03 PM

I totally DISagree. Vicks foot had not yet touched anything out of bounds, he was still in bounds, PERIOD. The way that dude runs you cannot put anything past him. The job of the defender is to make sure he is out of bounds or down without any doubt. Go ahead and watch the replay and look at it from another perspective and I think you will agree.

steelersbabex25
12-13-2010, 05:05 PM
I totally DISagree. Vicks foot had not yet touched anything out of bounds, he was still in bounds, PERIOD. The way that dude runs you cannot put anything past him. The job of the defender is to make sure he is out of bounds or down without any doubt. Go ahead and watch the replay and look at it from another perspective and I think you will agree.

Agree. As far as I'm concerned, after Vick takes off, you treat him like a running back or wide receiver, because that's really what he is. You can't go easy on a guy like Vick just because he has that sticker on the back of his helmet.

KSSteelerfan
12-13-2010, 05:58 PM
:lol: I'm so glad I got to be a part of that cheer today.

The penalty calls were pretty unreal today. We all saw the hit to Ben and everyone was pretty amazed that there was no flag there. Like, come on. There's a lot of things that you can look the other way on as a ref, but that was wayyyyy after he threw the ball and there was no flag. That's happening too often. You can't make up these new rules to protect the quarterback, and then exclude Ben. It's getting too obvious now.

No flags thrown unless your last name is Brady or Manning....unbelieveable...and congrats on being part of the Hey Refs you suck chant...I loved it...:plus1:

Goodfrom55
12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
There were a couple plays where the "offsides flag came in way late (once and the opening drive and the other was against Harrison), but very late, long after the play had started.

As for Ben, has not had a roughing the passer called in his favor yet this year. Perhaps in the offseason, he should change his name to Brady.

LatrobePA
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM

It seemed avoidable IMO...

Back to topic though, Ben....Sorry I took a turn!

coach
12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
We all know fans that complain too much about bad calls. We have all done that at some point. Some knuckleheads take that stuff too far. I think posts like those from Larry and SteelFury help bring objectivity to this argument because it is true that every fan base feels they are getting hosed. At first, I viewed this the same way. The problem is, there are too many coincidences that make you scratch your head and say C'MON MAN:

The league has made it clear what they are looking for. Baltimore Ravens illegally hit Ben and Heath and no flag is thrown in either case, in an environment where every ref is being told every week what to look for. C'MON MAN.

That PI flag against Ike a couple weeks ago came from the far side official when the near side official was right there and didn't see anything. The replay confirms there was no contact. That call was bad enough weeks ago, but yesterdays two flags showed more inconsistency. We get flagged on a questionable PI call and they don't. C"MON MAN.

As an objective person, you have to admit that BAD or QUESTIONABLE ref calls, like turnovers, are unpredictable and can go either way. But, when your team regularly gets bad calls and the teams you play against don't get flagged for the same thing, you have to ask why, and even wonder if the Steelers speaking out against the league regading Harrison's treatment by the league has given rise to any of this incosistent treatment.

How is it that we get every holding call? Did we hold? Yes. Did the other team hold? Yes. Do they get flagged for putting their hands up around Harrisoon's neck? Not at the rate you would expect. Why is that?

Do Manning and Brady get favourable calls? Yes. Why is that?

For the moment, it is far easier for me to believe that the league has made some poor decisions and communicated things to the refs in such a way that they are unable to call the game in a way that makes sense to objective fans. When fans can objectively make the argument that you're team appears to be treated unfairly, the fact that the integrity of the league is questioned is self-imposed.

Since they make the rules, they should be able to enforce them in a manner that gives fans confidence that the integrity of the game is beyond question (knuckleheads excludued) for the overwhelming number of fans and even announcers. Steeler fans in this forum are not the only people to question the fact that we aren't gettin any love from the refs this year.

My last point here is that Steeler fans are sitting back with an impending sense of "what next?" because we know this issue of helmet-to-helmet hits hasn't peaked yet and when it does, it will likley cost us an important game or an important player (Harrison) for an important game.

Whether anyone else feels I am objective ot not, I can at least defend my position based on the calls I have seen. That is something the refs can't do right now.

Root4Stlrs
12-14-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure how any rational observer could say that Ben isn't treated unfairly by the referees. There's lots of empirical evidence. The plays are there every week for everyone to see. Compile the statistics on roughing the passer penalties and compare Ben to other QB's in the league. That's not conspiracy theorizing or being paranoid. If all fans think refs are unfair, what other group of fans (besides the Eagles fans) are complaining that their QB is not being protected?

Dee Mca
12-14-2010, 01:17 AM
IMO I think the NFL is still pissed about the Black eye's that Vick and Ben gave the NFL. That is the reason why they are getting pounded on every game and theirs no calls. That is just my opinion thou.

Root4Stlrs
12-14-2010, 07:08 AM
If you want a good example of the difference in how QB's are treated in the NFL, find a video of Brian Westbrook's TD in San Fran's game against Seattle this past week-end. Aaron Curry of Seattle gets called for roughing Alex Smith. About .000001 as bad as what happens routinely to Ben every game. The announcers thought the TD might be coming back b/c they figured it must be holding. The touch to Alex Smith's helmet was so quick you couldn't even see it on the video. But as they said, "anytime you touch the QB's helmet . . . " That is anytime unless it's Ben. :rant2:

LarryNJ
12-14-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure how any rational observer could say that Ben isn't treated unfairly by the referees. There's lots of empirical evidence. The plays are there every week for everyone to see. Compile the statistics on roughing the passer penalties and compare Ben to other QB's in the league. That's not conspiracy theorizing or being paranoid. If all fans think refs are unfair, what other group of fans (besides the Eagles fans) are complaining that their QB is not being protected?

It's not a conspiracy theory when you say Ben or the Steelers aren't getting the calls. It is when you say (as many have) We aren't getting the calls or are getting them against us because:
We have the most SB's the NFL doesn't want us to win anymore
The commissioner is a Ravens fans and will do anything o help them
They tell the refs to call more on us
---- insert any number of they are out to get us comments

Go back to the Super Bowl in 2005. Were there some questionable calls that went the Steelers way? What did we say about the Seahawks fans and others who questioned them? Well like or or not we are falling into the same category as a Seahawks fan now. The only difference is they lost and we are still winning. Personally I prefer to not be labeled with them or worse yet to have the reputation of a Flyers fan that the NHL is against us.

I can speak for Pittsburgh because I'm from there and have many family and friends there, Philly because I live here now and NY because I'm there very often and there are many NY fans in Jersey and Philly. All of them complain that the refs are calling more against them than for them. Not just roughing the passer but penalties in general. It's not just the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I mentioned this thread in the podcast, we covered it for several minutes during the show. Craig agrees as well that for whatever reason the officials are just not tossing the yellow when it comes to Ben. When it comes to Brady or Manning they'd get the flag every time, but the perception is that Ben finds a way to get out of it, that he is a tough guy, so they don't throw the flag. The fact is Ben is a QB just like them, you have to treat everyone the same.

Blazedby92
12-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Go back to the Super Bowl in 2005. Were there some questionable calls that went the Steelers way?

Those were actual penalties but were ones that probably let happen in the regular season. That's the difference, but yes way too much crying

coldrolled
12-14-2010, 10:51 AM
If Ben was doing some 2 step drops and then fire the ball and a lot more play action that would save his butt... also ben does need some extra acting lessons on the fake handoff part of the play action. he would then have more time and the OL would get a break... kinda like manning and brady's OL... Our guys are holding because most of our plays take forever to develop.. Ben gets hit way to much..
A lot of you guys say ben loves Arians, i cant see why he would?

LatrobePA
12-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Anyone watch the Texans hang 28 on the Ravens?? Their offense didn't have a problem!

Root4Stlrs
12-14-2010, 05:07 PM
It's not a conspiracy theory when you say Ben or the Steelers aren't getting the calls. It is when you say (as many have) We aren't getting the calls or are getting them against us because:
We have the most SB's the NFL doesn't want us to win anymore
The commissioner is a Ravens fans and will do anything o help them
They tell the refs to call more on us
---- insert any number of they are out to get us comments

Go back to the Super Bowl in 2005. Were there some questionable calls that went the Steelers way? What did we say about the Seahawks fans and others who questioned them? Well like or or not we are falling into the same category as a Seahawks fan now. The only difference is they lost and we are still winning. Personally I prefer to not be labeled with them or worse yet to have the reputation of a Flyers fan that the NHL is against us.

I can speak for Pittsburgh because I'm from there and have many family and friends there, Philly because I live here now and NY because I'm there very often and there are many NY fans in Jersey and Philly. All of them complain that the refs are calling more against them than for them. Not just roughing the passer but penalties in general. It's not just the Steelers.

This is not the same thing as the calls in Super Bowl XL. I get irritated when calls don't go the Steelers' way when it seems one-sided but I also can say when the penalties by the Steelers are deserved or they got a freebie. OF COURSE FANS EVERYWHERE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE REFS. THAT'S NOT THE POINT. I think fans who overindulge in complaining about refs are generally losers b/c we all know the calls even out over time. The Seahawks fans and most other complainers are talking about WINNING A GAME. I am talking about a person's health and well-being. They're THE ONLY CALLS I am concerned about -- the non-calls that are blatantly obvious and the referees BLATANTLY ignoring the rules. It's bad enough that the o line is having problems, which puts Ben in danger of getting killed, but for the refs to allow these gratuitous cheap shots plus the blows to the head (even if accidental supposed to be called) and Ben not to be given the same consideration as other QB's is disgusting to me, whatever the reason. I am seriously concerned about the health of our franchise QB. I saw the hit on him in Atlanta and then they let him play in Oakland the next week when you could look at his eyes and see that he shouldn't have been out there. The close-up shots of him on TV made me ill to think he was playing. This type of damage is cumulative.

P.S. On a lighter note r/t calls or non-calls whichever, I am glad Michael Oher is finally being called for being offsides all the time. I did do a mini-whine about that after first B'less game. On the replay of that game I heard the announcers praising him for being so quick in getting off the ball. I had to yell at the TV - of course b/c he's offsides at least 25% of the time.

--- Added 12/14/2010 at 04:07 PM ---

No flags thrown unless your last name is Brady or Manning.... . . . or Smith or Campbell.

Scorp
12-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger continues to be perplexed by some of the illegal hits to the head and the calls officials are refusing to make after opposing defenders strike him in the helmet.

For the second consecutive week, Roethlisberger was struck in the head, and the referee did not throw a flag. In the second quarter, Cincinnati defensive end Michael Johnson hit the back of his helmet as he sacked Roethlisberger.

"I lost my cool for a second, but I didn't swear at him," Roethlisberger said. "Once again I got the same response as last week. He said he was just trying to tackle me. So I just let it go."

Roethlisberger's nose was broken when Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata's hand hit him last week. He also was hit in the head by Terrell Suggs late in the same game and did not receive a flag. Ngata was fined by the league.

Roethlisberger said there is no sense in complaining about not receiving protection from the officials.

"It is what it is," he said. "It's a violent game. You've never heard me complain about injuries or calls, so I'm not going to start now."

Roethlisberger's teammates are wondering when the officials are going to begin protecting their franchise quarterback.

"We see the hits that Ben takes every week," linebacker James Farrior said. "It's kind of ridiculous that they always miss those calls but any time we breathe on a quarterback they always seem to find that.

"When? We [have] three more games left. I mean, how long should it take?

"It's terrible, man. They protect all the quarterbacks but ours. We're going to keep fighting, we're going to keep on going. Hopefully, they'll catch it some day."

Said safety Ryan Clark: "I already told you, they protect every quarterback in the NFL but ours. I don't know how many times I have to say it. And they protect the ones we play a lot."

coach
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
If Ben was doing some 2 step drops and then fire the ball and a lot more play action that would save his butt... also ben does need some extra acting lessons on the fake handoff part of the play action. he would then have more time and the OL would get a break... kinda like manning and brady's OL... Our guys are holding because most of our plays take forever to develop.. Ben gets hit way to much..
A lot of you guys say ben loves Arians, i cant see why he would?

I can't believe it is not blatantly obvious to our team that we can't scheme every pass to be a 4 or 5 second route when the O line is challenged to protect for more than 2.5 seconds. Even though we dropped the pass, I did see a quick slant thrown this week. I would actually like to see some more of this. We don't have to become a west coast offense but, C'MON MAN.

Real Deal Steel
12-14-2010, 10:37 PM
The website called the huddle openly said that there were atleast 3 roughing the passer penalties that wer not called on the Bengals Sunday.

How long does it take before you guys get it: THE LEAGUE HAS AN AGENDA AGAINST THE WHOLE PITTSBURGH STEELER TEAM. NOT JUST JAMES HARRISON!

Real Deal Steel
12-14-2010, 10:42 PM
It is not baffling:

THERE IS AN AGENDA BY THE LEAGUE AGAINST THE WHOLE PITTSBURGH STEELER TEAM.

What more evidence do you need???????????????????????????????????

Look at everything:

Ben suspended for four games but no charges were ever filed.

Harrison targeted every week.

Ben with 3 helmet to helmet hits against the Bengals that the refs don't call.

Woodley/Harrison being blatantly held by their necks as they rush the passer.

steelerschick1220
12-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I am not one to believe the conspiracy theorists and I believe that each and game has its fair share of bad calls/no calls. But some of the calls this team has been getting or not been getting is making me wonder. Especially against Ben. If the league wants to start protecting the QB's more that's fine. But they need to do their jobs and call the game fairly and protect all starting 32 QB's not just a select few. Cause when I see my QB hobbling off the field or walking off with blood running down his face its makes me a tad upset and makes me feel like the officials aren't doing their job right.

LarryNJ
12-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I did see a quick slant thrown this week. I would actually like to see some more of this. We don't have to become a west coast offense but, C'MON MAN.

Did you DVR the game? That may be the only way you'll see another one. :) Your absolutely correct, we need to adjust what we do on the offensive side of the ball.