PDA

View Full Version : Time of possession? Check! Scoring TD's?.. ouch!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2010, 04:05 PM
This Steeler offense was on fire today in 1 category, they came up big in time of possession especially in the 2nd half. Long sustained drives, huge 3rd down conversions, Mendenhall running hard, Hines with 115 yds receiving. The list goes on and on but the scary part is they are not scoring Touchdowns. Time of possession in the 3rd quarter, Steelers had it for over 12 minutes.

First and 30, are you kidding me! How do you manage that. Thank goodness Ben found Hines to bring up 3rd and one on that series. I believe it was 5 holding calls in the 3rd quarter. Something has got to give.

Suisham was perfect again today, I'm completely sold on this kid as our FG kicker of the future.

As for the rest of the offense though, it feels like they are living on borrowed time. The line cannot block anybody, Ben was getting crushed. The amount of pressure Ben was under all day was unacceptable. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win and this one was BIG. They did everything right today except for scoring when they hit the redzone. Credit it again though, they kept fighting, didn't give up, but sooner or later we've got to score more points.

nuclearchihuahuas
12-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Have got to solve the TD issue! Cannot advance in the playoffs unless we do

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-12-2010, 04:09 PM
We need to start running more PA in the red zone

jnes1216
12-12-2010, 04:20 PM
We need to start running more PA in the red zone

Since when have you seen PA anywhere on the field for the Steelers? I agree, but they just don't seem to put that in the arsenal.

--- Added 12/12/2010 at 03:20 PM ---

First and 30, are you kidding me! How do you manage that. Thank goodness Ben found Hines to bring up 3rd and one on that series. .

Great subtle adjustment on that route by Ward to make that catch. Awesome.

I've been an ARE hater, but damn that was a nice catch as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Randle El has been the whipping boy on the offense from the fans perspective, but you are right that catch he made today was monster. He elevated himself as high as he is tall. LOL.

The Steelers have always been about the defense, but my goodness all those wonderful long drives lost to either a punt or a FG is very disheartening. A win is a win, yes, but we really need these guys to step it up. Granted it is the AFC North here, these games are almost never blowouts.

Troyisabeast_43
12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
These holding penalties on these long drives are absolutely killing the Steelers and have been killing them for weeks now...They gotta be able to avoid these penalties and finish off these drives come playoff time. It seems like everytime the Steelers get a big play to get them going on an important drive they **** it up with a stupid *** penalty. This **** has got to stop and stop immediately or down the road it will end up costing the Steelers big time...

steelersbabex25
12-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I hate it when the defense outscores the offense..

--- Added 12/12/2010 at 08:27 PM ---

These holding penalties on these long drives are absolutely killing the Steelers and have been killing them for weeks now...They gotta be able to avoid these penalties and finish off these drives come playoff time. It seems like everytime the Steelers get a big play to get them going on an important drive they **** it up with a stupid *** penalty. This **** has got to stop and stop immediately or down the road it will end up costing the Steelers big time...

I was at the game so I couldn't really tell. Were the holding calls legit? Cause if they are that was unacceptable. There was what? 4 holding calls on that drive?

Clevelandsux
12-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm glad we won, but we ain't going anywhere unless the offense starts putting up some points.

SteelJunkie
12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Well the offense drives down the field with no huddle, then the clock stops and Arians resumes calling the plays. If I was a defensive coordinator going against the Steelers I would use my timouts to take the calls away from Ben and make Arians try and beat me.

LatrobePA
12-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Too many drops, holding calls, horrid o-line, BA's **** poor play calling...

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Granted offense left alot on the field today but having a huge time of possession lead is big. Definitely need to have better finishing touches on those drives. BUT, the bottom line is the final score and that gets us the W... The STEELERS were able to dominate the Raiders and there were no complaints about the offense then. Like they said on the radio after the game ," there are no style points in the NFL."

Real Deal Steel
12-12-2010, 11:21 PM
This lies at the feet at the offensive coordinator. Period.

Every first rate OC has 5 great plays in the red zone desigened to get you in the end zone.

Every week, they look like they are drawing up plays as the go along.

Scorp
12-14-2010, 07:00 PM
The New York Jets will be coming to Heinz Field for a Sunday game matching two of the four teams in the AFC that currently have won at least nine games, and as Coach Mike Tomlin said during his Tuesday news conference, “That’s what you wish for this time of year. It’s good to be in significant games. That means that you have done what you needed to do to this point.”

One season after missing the playoffs, the Steelers have done what they needed to do to climb back into the thick of the playoff chase, and the NFL is certain to release some scenarios later in the week that will describe what must happen for them to clinch a spot officially.

But there also are things teams need to do to be able to make deep runs into the playoffs and get themselves into those games that end with trophy presentations.

One of those things unquestionably is scoring offensive touchdowns, and right now that has become an issue for the 10-3 Steelers.

In the past three games, the Steelers offense has scored two touchdowns – one of those came on the opening possession of the game in Buffalo and the other came in the fourth quarter in Baltimore but only after the defense presented the ball at the Ravens’ 9-yard line. Against the Bengals, who arrived here with a defense ranked No. 28 in the NFL in points allowed – they scored none.

“We want to score touchdowns,” said Tomlin. “In the recent past we haven’t done as well as we would like. There are a myriad of reasons, and usually they’re centered around execution.”

That really is the confounding part of this, because it’s not as though the Steelers offense has been inept in those three games. The unit has put up 1,068 net yards of offense, converted 48 percent on third downs, averaged 21 first downs in each of the games and possessed the ball for an average of 38 minutes per game, and they committed a total of only two turnovers.

But still no touchdowns, and Tomlin wasn’t interested in offering any excuses, especially when it came to the possible impact of the injuries to the tight end position.

“I am not going to blame anything,” said Tomlin. “If we want to employ three tight ends, and we only have two of them suited, we can tell No. 79 (Trai Essex) to report as eligible and go about our business. We are not executing in that area to our liking because we are not executing in that area to our liking.”

Tomlin may not be interested in blaming anything, but there would seem to be a couple of obvious culprits: penalties and sacks. Both of those things are damaging to an offensive unit on the field while having minimal impact on the stat sheet.

In the last three games, the Steelers have committed 13 offensive holding penalties and allowed Ben Roethlisberger to be sacked 12 times. As has been well-documented, the pass protection issue is shared by the entire unit, and there are times when Roethlisberger holds onto the ball instead of throwing it away. But there are more times when Roethlisberger’s holding of the ball leads to big plays for the offense, and lately it seems there have been even more of those than normal.

Penalties, though, are another matter entirely.

“We’ve been holding, and we need to stop. We need to cut down on holding,” said Tomlin. “No question holding occurs just about on every snap in the National Football League. I think anybody in this industry will acknowledge that, and so what we need to do is cut down on the actions that are triggering the flags. Those actions are grabbing and restricting the jersey coming away from the body, and so forth. We need to do a better job. We need to do a more detailed job of playing technical.”

Scorp
12-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Clark was among the few who sounded a note of concern with how the Steelers have been squeaking by opponents lately.

"We're not dominating," Clark said. "We're not dominating. We're winning, we're not dominating."

Do they need more production on offense?

"Yeah," Clark said. "We would like it. You know what I mean? We know we need to be a balanced team -- offense, defense, special teams. We know everybody needs to play well.

"I think in Buffalo, we were clicking [on offense], we just weren't getting into the end zone. And you look at the Baltimore game, you take what you can get against a defense like that.

"But we know we need to score more points. Those guys are working on it. It's crazy because we moved the ball. We move the ball on people. We clearly have the talent and I think they'll get it going."

While they have dominated only a few teams on the scoreboard -- a 36-13 win in Tampa, a 38-3 win against Oakland -- the Steelers have been dominated themselves just once in a 39-26 loss at home to New England.

The Patriots hold the No. 1 seed in the AFC with an 11-2 record, same as Atlanta in the NFC. The Steelers beat the Falcons in the opener at home in overtime, 15-9.

"I don't know who you would say is elite," Clark said of all the NFL teams. "I don't think anybody here is scared to go play Atlanta. Nobody here is scared to play the Patriots again."

Not even after the Patriots roughed them up in Heinz Field?

"Sometimes people have good days," Clark said. "We don't worry about that. We'll see them again, hopefully."

nuclearchihuahuas
12-14-2010, 11:18 PM
I know they would welcome the chance to play the Pats again...I just hope they do what Clark suggests and dominate that game!:tt02:

Scorp
12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Mike Tomlin answered plenty of questions Tuesday about the shortcomings of the Steelers' offense, which has produced precisely one touchdown in the past 11 quarters, and that thanks mostly to safety Troy Polamalu.

Scorp
12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
How concerned are you that the Steelers’ offense has scored two touchdowns in the past three games?

Lunchbucket
12-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Time of posession is good,but we really need to find the endzone.this will bite us in the a$$ come playoff time.