PDA

View Full Version : That my friends is championship defense right there

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Today was the day of the defense. Make no mistake about it. The offense struggled all day long but when you need it most guys like Polamalu and Woodley save the day with Pick 6's. After a slow start in the 1st quarter where seemingly nobody bothered to show up to play, the Woodley sack ignited the unit and from on then it was lights out for the rest of the day. You have to love their hussle, aggressiveness, and in the face of the NFL fining like there is no tomorrow they continue to be who they are.

With 5 minutes to go the Bengal offense had about 136 yds of total offense in the game. 3 sacks, 3 INT's, 2 pick 6's...That my friends is championship defense right there!!!

nuclearchihuahuas
12-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Our defense can lead us to another SB! We are in the same boat as '08 with a bad O-line...hopefully they get it together like they did then :banana:

LatrobePA
12-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Defense scored more than the offense, good job BRUCEY!!!

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
the only thing worrisome to me is troy and ben's health. take either of them out and brother it is anyone's call. prayin for their good health.

the chief just said of injuries "just bumps and bruises. glad it's someone besides me. lol. just...

jnes1216
12-12-2010, 04:11 PM
This team is under .500 without this defense. As usual, defense wins the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2010, 04:24 PM
What an opportunistic day for the defense. Cold, rainy, ugly out, steam coming off the players helmets, and they came to play today. You can't help but love watching them.

LarryNJ
12-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes it was their day for sure they get the #1 star. I give the second star toSushi andd the 3rd to the crowd. They were loud all day long during the good and bad times.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Troy was very apologetic after the game talking about how he should have never tried to lateral. He said he'll do his best to not let it happen again. Hey Troy, the Steeler Nation isn't too mad at ya bro, I think you're good ;)

Scorp
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Troy Polamalu and LaMarr Woodley returned interceptions by Carson Palmer for Pittsburgh's only touchdowns and the Steelers sent Cincinnati to a franchise record-tying 10th consecutive defeat, winning 23-7 on Sunday.

The Steelers (10-3) couldn't get into the end zone on offense despite dominating the time of possession -- a 9 -minute drive produced no scoring -- but it didn't matter as they closed in on a playoff spot by playing just well enough to beat the Bengals (2-11).

Palmer threw three interceptions, two to Polamalu, as Cincinnati matched the David Shula-coached 1993 Bengals by losing 10 consecutive games in the same season. The overall franchise record is 11 consecutive defeats from 1992-93.

DanRooney
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I honestly think we could have the worst offense in the NFL. The play calling is atrocious and there's absolutely no rhythm from one game to the next.

LatrobePA
12-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Is it your goal to keep posting the same topics???? lol

Moondog
12-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Troy was very apologetic after the game talking about how he should have never tried to lateral. He said he'll do his best to not let it happen again. Hey Troy, the Steeler Nation isn't too mad at ya bro, I think you're good ;)

Dick Lebeau gave Troy an earful as he came off the field, then a few minutes later I saw Dick giving him a hug. He probably figured he can't be too mad at Troy either.

coach
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
D played even better than I thought they would, but O played worse.

This D is awesome when everyone is healthy.

pimplydan
12-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey fellow steeler nation I am new here on this fun Steeler addict board.First after game win here.I just wanna say were are some lucky fans watching a team, a organization, a group of coachs and players that come up with the kinda collective effort to win a football game.We may be diehard fans but that is a die hard team we see out there on the field.It's not always pretty but that's a football team with heart.

steelersbabex25
12-12-2010, 09:30 PM
3rd to the crowd. They were loud all day long during the good and bad times.

:woot: that was me :lol: you're right the crowd noise was great today. Everyone there was really pumped.

The defense really pulled it out today as well. Kinda reminiscent of the 08 season with the offense doing what the can, and the defense doing most of the work.

Now where are all those people who wanted Woodley gone..

Farrior Fan
12-12-2010, 09:51 PM
We finally remembered that Blitzing is good.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
After that slow start in the first quarter when nobody decided they were ready to play they certainly got fired up from the 2nd quarter on. Lights out is an understatement these days, the D is playing as good as ever. The blitzing coming back is really paying off and the players are inspired. It's fun to watch.

Real Deal Steel
12-12-2010, 11:15 PM
regardless of how this season ends, I want Arians out of here or I won't be happy going forward. Arians has proven that he's an idiot to me and any average football fan.

Farrior Fan
12-12-2010, 11:27 PM
regardless of how this season ends, I want Arians out of here or I won't be happy going forward. Arians has proven that he's an idiot to me and any average football fan.

Amen, we have to get some new O lineman also. Mendy cannot run through holes that do not exist. Pouncey is a great start and hopefully Starks and Colon come back ok next year. Add Kemo to that and we are decent and it allows for a much improved overall offense. But with the dipchit in charge I'm sure he would mess it all up.

--- Added 12/12/2010 at 10:27 PM ---

:woot::woot:
Hey fellow steeler nation I am new here on this fun Steeler addict board.First after game win here.I just wanna say were are some lucky fans watching a team, a organization, a group of coachs and players that come up with the kinda collective effort to win a football game.We may be diehard fans but that is a die hard team we see out there on the field.It's not always pretty but that's a football team with heart.

I would much rather win a tough game than lose a pretty one. :woot::woot:

And Dan - :welcome2:

popstaala
12-13-2010, 08:46 AM
30 offensive possessions with a total of 2 TDs= Arians sucks
no 100 rusher, lead NFL in sacks, 2nd NFL points allowed, 1 run over 20 yards all season, super duper awesome Troy, hard hitting pro bowl caliber linebacking core...= 7 rings

Root4Stlrs
12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
:woot: that was me :lol: you're right the crowd noise was great today. Everyone there was really pumped.

The defense really pulled it out today as well. Kinda reminiscent of the 08 season with the offense doing what the can, and the defense doing most of the work.

Now where are all those people who wanted Woodley gone..

I love Woodley. He's a great player - he does go through slumps but tends to pick it up at the right time. He said he had to score on that TD because he didn't want any more grief from Farrior who told Woodley after fumble recovery against Baltimore that his mother said Farrior's grandmother could run faster than that. Also said he was down after he jumped offsides and let Bengals sustain the drive where they scored a TD.

coldrolled
12-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I honestly think we could have the worst offense in the NFL. The play calling is atrocious and there's absolutely no rhythm from one game to the next.

:plus1: We scored one TD in 11 quarters... BA needs to be fired now.. what would we lose with him gone?? It can only be a plus for us...

Scorp
12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
The Steelers returned two interceptions for touchdowns in the same game for the first time in more than 12 years.

Troy Polamalu had a 45-yard return and LaMarr Woodley had a 14-yard return. The previous time it happened was Nov. 22, 1998, in a game against Jacksonville. Dewayne Washington returned interceptions of 52 and 78 yards in the Steelers' 30-15 victory.

"You win games when you do that," Clark said. "Coach [Dick] LeBeau puts up all these stats. I believe it's in the 90th percentile that if you score two touchdowns on defense you'll win the football game. Those were big. Troy right now is playing like the MVP of the league on defense."

It was the second time Polamalu returned an interception for a touchdown in the regular season. The other one also came against his college roommate, Carson Palmer.

On Oct. 3, 2004, he returned an interception 26 yards for a touchdown against the Bengals, running over Palmer near the goal line to score. This time, Polamalu avoided Palmer near the sideline and stretched the ball over the goal line.

"No one is playing as good as Troy Polamalu in football right now in my opinion," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "When we need a play he provides it, and he did [Sunday]."

Polamalu later got his second interception of the game and sixth of the season against Palmer. It was the second time in his career that he recorded two interceptions in a game. He also did it Nov. 14, 2004, against Cleveland.

The Steelers are 21-3 when Polamalu has an interception.

nuclearchihuahuas
12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
The Steelers returned two interceptions for touchdowns in the same game for the first time in more than 12 years.

Troy Polamalu had a 45-yard return and LaMarr Woodley had a 14-yard return. The previous time it happened was Nov. 22, 1998, in a game against Jacksonville. Dewayne Washington returned interceptions of 52 and 78 yards in the Steelers' 30-15 victory.

"You win games when you do that," Clark said. "Coach [Dick] LeBeau puts up all these stats. I believe it's in the 90th percentile that if you score two touchdowns on defense you'll win the football game. Those were big. Troy right now is playing like the MVP of the league on defense."

It was the second time Polamalu returned an interception for a touchdown in the regular season. The other one also came against his college roommate, Carson Palmer.

On Oct. 3, 2004, he returned an interception 26 yards for a touchdown against the Bengals, running over Palmer near the goal line to score. This time, Polamalu avoided Palmer near the sideline and stretched the ball over the goal line.

"No one is playing as good as Troy Polamalu in football right now in my opinion," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "When we need a play he provides it, and he did [Sunday]."

Polamalu later got his second interception of the game and sixth of the season against Palmer. It was the second time in his career that he recorded two interceptions in a game. He also did it Nov. 14, 2004, against Cleveland.

The Steelers are 21-3 when Polamalu has an interception.

Troy owns Carson! LOL! :lol: