PDA

View Full Version : CFL star to work out for Steelers

jpele
12-10-2010, 06:08 PM
CFL star wide receiver Andy Fantuz is generating significant NFL interest and is scheduled to work out for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Minnesota Vikings next week, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The 6-foot-4, 221-pounder plays for the Sasketchewan Roughriders and is the first Canadian to lead the CFL in receiving in several years.

Per our source, the CFL All-Star is going to work out for several NFL teams.

This season, he caught 87 passes for 1,380 yards and six touchdowns.

For his career, Fantuz has caught 276 passes for 4,136 yards and 23 touchdowns while averaging 15 yards per catch.

Fantuz, 26, was drafted in the first round of the CFL draft with the third overall pick after a standout collegiate career at Western Ontario University.

He won the Hec Crighton Trophy as the top college player in Canada, catching 189 career passes for 4,123 yards and 41 touchdowns.

He played in the East-West Shrine game in 2006 and tried out for the Detroit Lions, but wasn't signed.

In the Grey Cup championship in 2007, he won the Most Valuable Canadian award as the Roughriders won the title.

Linkhttp://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-CFL-star-to-work-out-for-Steelers-Vikings.html

Guess they're still looking for that big guy for Ben

Zachintosh66
12-10-2010, 06:27 PM
nice, cut ARE...

Does he have any OL or CB friends?

LatrobePA
12-10-2010, 06:46 PM
nice, cut ARE...

Does he have any OL or CB friends?

Or a Dad, sister, mother, grandmother, step child, brothers sisters husband that is an OC???

aaronsmith91
12-11-2010, 04:09 AM
Yee this guy is a baller and I would love to see him on the steelers. though he was offsides alot in grey cup

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2010, 05:23 AM
You never know when you find a diamond in the rough........Cameron Wake and Stefan Logan were stars in the CFL and have made in the NFL........Chances are this guy isn't anything more then training camp fodder but you never know........The Steelers have a bunch of smurfs and this guy is 6'4.....Doesn't offer much speed but could be a big body possession type WR who also could be useful in the red zone........

cmerrifield
12-11-2010, 07:57 AM
The beauty of CFL stars is that you can keep them on your practice squad for a year and still have 8 other guys, so its a freebie. I would like to see us have 1 every year, cause you never know

Silverback
12-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Yee this guy is a baller and I would love to see him on the steelers. though he was offsides alot in grey cup

Yeah but he won't have to deal with all that pre-snap motion they use in the CFL. He is very physical and uses his size well to box out corners.

SteelCityKid5
12-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I say sign him and Im officially on the cut Antwaan Randle El bandwagon. Yes, thank you for the memories and you do bring veteran leadership but at least after this year I say good bye to you

DanRooney
12-11-2010, 12:27 PM
He doesn't have any place on this team as long as Sanders and Brown are still active, which they should be.

Randle El barely sees the field anymore anyway.

Rampage
12-11-2010, 01:06 PM
He doesn't have any place on this team as long as Sanders and Brown are still active, which they should be.

I agree with this. This team is stacked at the WR position right now, and don't forget about Sweed. Shame this guy isn't a corner.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Not this year but Ward is close to being done......I'm sure they're looking at Fantuz for next year not so much this year.......

coldrolled
12-11-2010, 01:54 PM
This is Sweeds replacement.

SteelDad
12-11-2010, 02:27 PM
I say sign him and Im officially on the cut Antwaan Randle El bandwagon. Yes, thank you for the memories and you do bring veteran leadership but at least after this year I say good bye to you

C'mon man! We need ARE! He's the only guy who can catch punts inside the 10 yard line! His value is priceless!!!!:stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2010, 03:14 PM
You never know when you find a diamond in the rough........Cameron Wake and Stefan Logan were stars in the CFL and have made in the NFL........Chances are this guy isn't anything more then training camp fodder but you never know........The Steelers have a bunch of smurfs and this guy is 6'4.....Doesn't offer much speed but could be a big body possession type WR who also could be useful in the red zone........

I agree, you have to do your homework on the up and coming prospects. You never know when you need another set of hands during the season. Plus it gives you an idea of what he's like if you decide to bring him in during the off season.

LatrobePA
12-11-2010, 03:27 PM
If they bring him in, who would be cut??

Blazedby92
12-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Is D-Sep on IR?

JensK
12-11-2010, 04:16 PM
This is Sweeds replacement.

NO!?! Its not too late for the savior! The Champ! Limas theman Sweed!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/SXUWqGW8rQI/AAAAAAAAU34/FdTBLQ8FtJY/s400/corey-ivy-limas-sweed.jpg

:banana::banana: I'm still a fan! :D

coldrolled
12-11-2010, 04:58 PM
NO!?! Its not too late for the savior! The Champ! Limas theman Sweed!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/SXUWqGW8rQI/AAAAAAAAU34/FdTBLQ8FtJY/s400/corey-ivy-limas-sweed.jpg

:banana::banana: I'm still a fan! :D

I think sweed has a shot again, if arians is released...

ben really wanted sweed for the height and speed. maybe we will sign Fantuz he has the height that ben has been wanting since plaxico... plus hes only 26.. whats his 40 time?

jpele
12-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Is D-Sep on IR?

Yes,the put him on IR to sign Jeremy Kapinos, so I guess they still have to cut someone.

Arnaz Battle would be my choice to cut.

cmerrifield
12-11-2010, 05:32 PM
No one needs to be cut, the Steelers can sign a CFL player to the practice squad for one year and that player doesnt count toward the 8 players on a PS. So the year Logan spent on the Practice squad, there was 8 other players. If I remember correctly, a team cannot sign a CFL PS player the same way they can the other PS players.

SteelDad
12-11-2010, 05:54 PM
While I believe you look at talent regardless of position any chance you get, why in the hell aren't we looking for a diamond in the rough DB or OL????? Maybe a hot shot CFL offensive coordinator??? Please Santa?

LatrobePA
12-11-2010, 08:18 PM
While I believe you look at talent regardless of position any chance you get, why in the hell aren't we looking for a diamond in the rough DB or OL????? Maybe a hot shot CFL offensive coordinator??? Please Santa?

I've been asking that for the past 3 years! That's why I was shocked when they were forced into signing Floz...

pimplydan
12-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I've seen alot of this guy Fantuz.I think Ben has always wanted a big target to replace Plaxico Burress,Ben likes to throw to tall receivers he has expressed that after Burress left.Fantuz is somewhat of a Burress he makes all the cuts deep and short he knows how to get open.Now is he good enough for the NFL? That remains to be seen,but he is worth the chance............................................ .........PIMP