PDA

View Full Version : Steelers think Ravens targeted Harrison

Scorp
12-08-2010, 06:28 PM
The Steelers not only think linebacker James Harrison has been targeted by National Football League officials; they think he was targeted by the Baltimore Ravens, as well.

Harrison and several Steelers players are upset over a false-start penalty against Ravens guard Chris Chester on an extra point Sunday night that, they say, wasn't as harmless as it might appear.

Harrison said he thinks Chester was deliberately trying to hit him or perhaps even injure him because Chester fired out on the play -- something offensive linemen are not taught to do on extra points or field goals.

"Of course it was deliberate," Harrison said today in the Steelers locker room. "There's no way that happens on an extra point because [offensive linemen] don't shoot out. It's obvious it was blatant. It was on purpose."

Asked if it was a cheap shot, Harrison said, "Yeah it's cheap, but when it comes down to it, it's only a 5-yard penalty, they move back to the 7 and re-kick. It's not going to hurt them."

"It was a dirty play," said inside linebacker James Farrior.

It is not known if the Steelers protested the play to the NFL office. League spokesman Greg Aiello said he didn't know if NFL officials are investigating the incident.

The play occurred after the Ravens' only touchdown -- a 14-yard pass from Joe Flacco to Anquan Boldin -- in the first quarter of the Steelers' 13-10 victory.

Harrison said he ran over Chester on a play sometime before the extra point and admitted he ran him over on another play after that.

"I think it was a designed play," said defensive end Brett Keisel, who is on the extra-point defense. "He just took off and kept driving him. I do think it was intentional."

Keisel said it was as though the Ravens wanted to "take him down," referring to Harrison.

"It ticked us all off," Keisel said. "First you get scored on, but, when you do something like that deliberately, we just kept fighting through and we won the game. We had the last laugh."

Guard/tackle Trai Essex, who is on the Steelers' extra-point and field-goal units, said offensive linemen are taught to hold their position and not lunge because it creates gaps in their blocking wall.

"Don't fire out," Essex said. "That opens up gaps."

Raleigh Steel
12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
interesting...:stirpot:

igor0190
12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if that douchbag harbaugh had something to do with it

LatrobePA
12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
The Ravens were playing dirty all night....F them, they'll fall apart and yes we will have the last laugh!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Of course he was going after Harrison, you don't move forward when you're blocking for an extra point or FG..you stay your ground or try and direct them out from the play. Moving forward would open up holes for other defenders to go through. He was most trying to take him out or atleast try and start a fight so that Harrison would get flagged.

Troyisabeast_43
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if that douchbag harbaugh had something to do with it

Of course he did Harbaugh is a phony and a piece of garbage. He recently called out the Ravens fans on his radio show the other day telling them to root for another team if youre going to be too critical of the Ravens. Harbaugh showed his true colors after the game at his press conference where he stated the Ravens gave the game away and gave the Steelers no credit at all. He is a total ****ing ******* and I have no respect for coaches like him...

steelersbabex25
12-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't know if Chester did that with the intention of injurying Harrison in anyway. What wouldn't surprise me is if he did it with the intentions of trying to get a reaction out of Harrison and get him to do something stupid. Luckily, he didn't. Looked like he was close though.

Rampage
12-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Reminds me of when Francisco went for his knees during Super Bowl 43 and Madden wet his panties during a fit about kicking him out of the game.

Scorp
12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Keisel said. "First you get scored on, but, when you do something like that deliberately, we just kept fighting through and we won the game. We had the last laugh."

That's all that matters. :cope:

KSSteelerfan
12-08-2010, 07:16 PM
The commish is a joke and so is the ratbirds offensive lineman for going after Harrison....figures that the league will not do anything about it.......

igor0190
12-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Reminds me of when Francisco went for his knees during Super Bowl 43 and Madden wet his panties during a fit about kicking him out of the game.

Harrison totally made Francisco his bitch on that play... loved it! :lol:

Goodfrom55
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
At this point, the Steelers have made their point be known about targeting - whether it be from the refs or players with motives. I think it's time to stop running to the media about this stuff and deal with it and move on. Complaining won't change anything anyway so why bother making (yourself) look like the martyr or the cry baby? I agree that they are targeted by the refs and some scumbag players, but all the complaining in the world is not going to change that. So why give these people the time of day? Just play Steeler football.

Lunchbucket
12-08-2010, 09:22 PM
:plus1:
At this point, the Steelers have made their point be known about targeting - whether it be from the refs or players with motives. I think it's time to stop running to the media about this stuff and deal with it and move on. Complaining won't change anything anyway so why bother making (yourself) look like the martyr or the cry baby? I agree that they are targeted by the refs and some scumbag players, but all the complaining in the world is not going to change that. So why give these people the time of day? Just play Steeler football.:

:plus1:I am with you on that. :helmet::tt02:

Goodfrom55
12-08-2010, 10:04 PM
From an article on espn.com:

Regarding Ngata's club to Ben's Face:
Ngata wasn't penalized for raking his hand across Roethlisberger's face, but was fined $15,000 a day later for striking a defenseless player in the head. Roethlisberger had no comment about the fine, but teammate Hines Ward said he was glad someone other than Steelers linebacker James Harrison got fined for hitting a quarterback.

Roethlisberger said he asked referee Terry McAuley why there was no penalty and was told, "He was just trying to tackle you."

I rest my case.

jnes1216
12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't think the Ravens were targeting Harrison, I just think the guy was frustrated from getting manhandled by 92 and he took it out trying to cheap shot him like some two year old, and he couldn't even do that.

Zachintosh66
12-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Cmon man... quit crying and play some damn football already

so tired of pointing fingers, lets just get it done!

JensK
12-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Cmon man... quit crying and play some damn football already

so tired of pointing fingers, lets just get it done!

THANK YOU!? Everyone knows how these games are. No one was targeting Harrison more than Harrison is targeting everyone - in every single game.

DIESELMAN
12-10-2010, 08:36 AM
I read on NFL.com, where Chester denied any plan to intentionally go after Harrison, he said it was miscommunication in the huddle. Harbaugh was asked what he thought of Harrison's claim and he responded with, "I could care less what he (Harrison) said."

greennick
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I read on NFL.com, where Chester denied any plan to intentionally go after Harrison, he said it was miscommunication in the huddle. Harbaugh was asked what he thought of Harrison's claim and he responded with, "I could care less what he (Harrison) said."

Could or couldn't care less??

coldrolled
12-10-2010, 11:40 AM
throw this one in too. the first run redman had the ravens tackled him on the sideline and it sure looked like he tried to ruin redmans ankle. it is still hurting him this week.

watch the play.. it looked intentional too.

DIESELMAN
12-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Could or couldn't care less??

Harbaugh said he could care less, either way he doesn't give a ****

DIESELMAN
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
throw this one in too. the first run redman had the ravens tackled him on the sideline and it sure looked like he tried to ruin redmans ankle. it is still hurting him this week.

watch the play.. it looked intentional too.

With the focus on the Steelers, you might see a handful of players doing dirty **** just to see what they can get away with. The Steelers aren't the only ones complaining, I read that Vick and coach Reid are complaining on the hits that Vick is taking with no penalties being called.

LatrobePA
12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Why so VOCAL lately?

steelchamp204
12-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I think Harrison and the guys just need to shut up and stop crying about it. Not trying to be a dick, but we dont need more of the media attention, we already have enough.

Root4Stlrs
12-11-2010, 12:33 AM
I think Harrison and the guys just need to shut up and stop crying about it. Not trying to be a dick, but we dont need more of the media attention, we already have enough.

I don't know. I think it's easy for us to say since we aren't being cheap shotted with no penalties being called. I for one am getting tired of the "we just need to shut up and stop crying" blah blah. Heath Miller could have been paralyzed. It's about more than just what we as fans think. It's about protecting the players. There are bigger issues here.