PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Team doctors clear DE Smith to start lifting weights

Scorp
12-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Defensive end Aaron Smith had an MRI on his torn left triceps and was cleared by team doctors to start lifting weights, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference.

″He's doing pretty good,″ Tomlin said. ″We're going to take another MRI in about two weeks or so and see where that takes us, but we're encouraged by his progress. There's no setbacks in his recovery. It's time to take the next step and now start tossing a few weights around, which is good news.″

Tomlin is optimistic that Smith could return in time for the playoffs, which is why the Steelers didn't place him on season-ending injured reserve.

″That's been our intentions all along,″ Tomlin said. ″This is not charity by any stretch. We're not in that business. We're in the business of winning football games. We thought it was a possibility that this man could make it back and help us.

He's doing what he's supposed to do; we're doing what we're supposed to do, which is win. Hopefully, the two things converge and meet.″

Zachintosh66
12-08-2010, 05:33 PM
got a text today saying they dont expect him back till playoffs

Scorp
12-08-2010, 05:38 PM
What's really going on in Pittsburgh?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2010, 05:51 PM
What's really going on in Pittsburgh?

With that? He was cleared to start lifting weights as of yesterday. He's actually been lifting for a week now though. No official word on when he'll be back until atleast he gets another MRI in 2 weeks.

cmerrifield
12-08-2010, 05:54 PM
I think he could be cleared to play before the playoffs, but Tomlin wants to play it safe, which is fine with me. We lost a good prospect at OLB to keep Smith, lets make sure he is healthy enough to make a difference in the playoffs.

Rampage
12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
I wonder how much strength he lost from being away from the gym.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Smith is naturally strong guy, he's a just a flat out beast. He'll have to work his way back into football shape. Even when he does come back they'll rotate him at first till he gets back into the flow of the game. He knows how to use leverage and technique as well as brute strength to get the job done.

Rampage
12-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Smith is naturally strong guy, he's a just a flat out beast. He'll have to work his way back into football shape. Even when he does come back they'll rotate him at first till he gets back into the flow of the game. He knows how to use leverage and technique as well as brute strength to get the job done.

I'm sure he retained the bulk of his strength (lower body), it's just that a torn tricep would have to be brutal on the upper body. I've tweaked mine several times over the years and it makes lifting a bear, I just wonder how long it will take for him to regain that pushing strength.

Troyisabeast_43
12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Smith should definitely be saved and not brought back until the playoffs. The Steelers have won big games so far without him this season and should be able to win the AFC North still and get the bye week and the number 2 seed in the AFC. That will give Smith almost a full 5 weeks from now to recover,get his strength up,and be ready to go for that first playoff game here in Pittsburgh on January 15th or 16th. No reason to rush him back to play in any of these last 4 games at all. He should be good to go for the playoffs which will make this defense that much better...

Dean Denton
12-09-2010, 03:22 AM
With one arm he's still better then the rest of the league. I'll take Smith at 75% anyday...playoffs is perfect and I'll take it.