PDA

View Full Version : Injury updates heading into Bengals game. Ben will likely wear a shield on his helmet

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Flozell has a mild high ankle sprain, no word on his availability yet.

Spaeth has a clean bill of health and will be ready to go.

Heath Miller has a concussion, he could miss the game but they will reevaluate him later this week to see how he is doing.

Aaron smith had an MRI and is progressing nicely. They will do another one in 2 weeks and see how it goes. No setbacks and he is healing nicely.

LatrobePA
12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the updates...Any word on how Bens new Honker looks??

nuclearchihuahuas
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
sounds like smith might be back for the playoffs!

LatrobePA
12-07-2010, 02:02 PM
sounds like smith might be back for the playoffs!

That would be huge! But since Train thinks Hood is playing at a pro bowl level we won't need him!! hahaha

SnakeEyes43
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
That would be huge! But since Train thinks Hood is playing at a pro bowl level we won't need him!! hahaha

Hey Ziggy seems to be getting more solid every game. He doesn't seem to be getting owned every play anymore....haha.

And Tomlin made it sound like Heath may be out, but I have faith that good ol' Matt will step up just fine.

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey Ziggy seems to be getting more solid every game. He doesn't seem to be getting owned every play anymore....haha.

And Tomlin made it sound like Heath may be out, but I have faith that good ol' Matt will step up just fine.

We gave up ten points to the ravens... our CB's are the issue not Ziggy... If anything on D..

Remember we scored 13 points and 7 with troys help..

Please dont blame the defense or ziggy for our short comings... Its the OC and OL injuries... But OL injuries i blame on the OC also for running 3 WR's 40 yards down field and making the OL work their tails off all year holding back the DL on dumbass play calling...

:evilshake:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Today is the first time that Tomlin brought up any Aaron Smith updates without being asked about it other than the usual "he's still out, no new updates".

sounds like they are optismistic that he can be ready so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

He did say that the surgery went fine, Ben has some discomfort right now but nothing that should keep him out of action. He will wear a clear shield over his facemask to protect his nose.

LatrobePA
12-07-2010, 02:29 PM
I thought Johnson played real well. Heath will be missed but I think the other two can fill in...

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Also, defensive end Aaron Smith was cleared to start lifting weights after an MRI, which Tomlin called “encouraging.” Smith will be re-evaluated after another MRI in two weeks.

Steel Trap86
12-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Flozell better be ready, no coincidence all of Mendy's big runs are to the right

Miller should sit out a week and get healthy for the playoffs, I want to see more of David Johnson anyway

Black@Gold Forever32
12-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Johnson is the best blocking TE on the roster anyway.......He finally showed something in the passing game.....He isn't the receiving threat Miller is at TE but it was nice to see Johnson can be a legit dump off option.........Miller should rest anyway.....The Bengals are 2-10 and I'm sure they will pack it in and quit if the Steelers jump on them early........The Bengals never plays for pride when they're down and out of it.......

steelersbabex25
12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I really really really really want Aaron Smith back asap. If he can come back around week 16 or 17 that would be amazing. Give him a game or 2 to get back in the swing of things, and kick *** in the playoffs.

igor0190
12-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I really really really really want Aaron Smith back asap. If he can come back around week 16 or 17 that would be amazing. Give him a game or 2 to get back in the swing of things, and kick *** in the playoffs.

Say he's scheduled for an MRI in 2 weeks which would be the 21st... Panthers game Thursday, Dec 23rd seems doubtful. Could be a decent chance getting him back for the Browns game on Sunday, Jan 3rd. If not, then playoffs :crossfingers:

Root4Stlrs
12-07-2010, 11:27 PM
I seriously doubt there is a choice whether Heath will play this week-end. It appeared that he had a pretty severe concussion and he will never be cleared that soon. David Johnson made me laugh when he just batted Ray Lewis away like a annoying insect.

Real Deal Steel
12-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Having Smith back for the playoffs is the key to me.

JensK
12-08-2010, 05:36 AM

Lets get to the playoffs first :)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Getting Keisel back has been such a lift for this defense, during the week before the Ravens game many of the players were saying how good it was to have him back. The 34 defense isn't as effective without him as it is with him.

coldrolled
12-08-2010, 09:32 AM

had an MRI and has been cleared to start lifting weights,

although a teammate said he started lifting them last week.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2010, 11:15 AM
It's not looking good for Heath or Flozell for this weekend, both are listed as doubtful as of now. When the final injury reports come out tomorrow we'll know more but I kinda doubt either of them will play.

greennick
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
It's not looking good for Heath or Flozell for this weekend, both are listed as doubtful as of now. When the final injury reports come out tomorrow we'll know more but I kinda doubt either of them will play.

I've written Heath off this week. It would really hurt to have the Hotel out. We're not exactly deep on the O line.

SnakeEyes43
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Yeah, Tomlin kind of sounded like he expected Essex and Spaeth to start.

Scorp
12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger underwent surgery on Monday after suffering a broken nose against the Ravens, but he isn’t expected to miss any playing time.

Roethlisberger, who was scheduled to have the gauze removed on Tuesday, will take an extra precaution to protect the nose.

“The only adjustment is that he is going to probably wear a clear shield on his helmet to protect him from that standpoint,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “I am sure there is going to be some level of discomfort. I don’t think it’s going to keep him out of football in any form or fashion.”

Roethlisberger was injured when he was hit in the facemask by Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, who was not penalized for the hit but was fined $15,000 by the NFL.

While Roethlisberger isn’t expected to miss any time, the same can’t definitely be said for tight end Heath Miller. Miller suffered a concussion when Ravens linebacker Jameel McClain applied a helmet-to-helmet hit.

“Heath is experiencing some discomfort that goes along with concussions,” said Tomlin. “His availability might be doubtful this week. We’ll see if it picks up as the week goes on. I haven’t talked to him personally so I am hesitant about describing what those symptoms are.

“If we are going to err we are going to err on the side of caution when it comes to a player’s health. That is the appropriate thing to do.”

McClain wasn’t penalized either, but he was fined $40,000 by the NFL for the hit.

Tackle Flozell Adams suffered a mild high ankle sprain, forcing him to leave the Ravens game early. His status is not known at this point.

“We’ll see how it limits him in the early portion of the week and let that determine whether or not he is available to us,” said Tomlin.

If he can’t go, Trai Essex would start.

“Trai finished the game and did a nice job for us,” said Tomlin. “He is the first man off the bench. We’ll see where the week takes us.”

Safety Troy Polamalu will continue to be limited in practice because of an ankle injury, but it will not impact him playing on Sunday against the Bengals.

“We are going to take the similar approach with Troy in terms of his potential practice participation in the early part of the week like we have done the last several weeks,” said Tomlin. “It seems to be serving him and us well.”

The team expects to get tight end Matt Spaeth back this week. Spaeth suffered a concussion against Oakland and has missed the last two games.

“Matt got a clean bill of health,” said Tomlin. “He has been fully cleared and is going to practice and participate on Wednesday. That is encouraging.”

Tomlin also provided an update on defensive end Aaron Smith, who has been sidelined since he injured his triceps against Miami on Oct. 24.

“Aaron had an MRI and he is doing pretty good,” said Tomlin. “He is going to take the next step and start lifting weights and take another MRI in two weeks and see where it takes us. We are encouraged by his progress. There is no setback in his recovery.

“It’s time to take the next step and he will start tossing some weights around which is good news.”

LatrobePA
12-08-2010, 05:37 PM
With rain and snow Sunday, it won't stay on for long!

Scorp
12-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Never had a broken nose. How long does it take for one to heal?

--- Added 12/8/2010 at 03:50 PM ---

Never mind. 6 weeks--3 months depending on the severity.

KSSteelerfan
12-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger underwent surgery on Monday after suffering a broken nose against the Ravens, but he isn’t expected to miss any playing time.

Roethlisberger, who was scheduled to have the gauze removed on Tuesday, will take an extra precaution to protect the nose.

“The only adjustment is that he is going to probably wear a clear shield on his helmet to protect him from that standpoint,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “I am sure there is going to be some level of discomfort. I don’t think it’s going to keep him out of football in any form or fashion.”

Roethlisberger was injured when he was hit in the facemask by Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, who was not penalized for the hit but was fined $15,000 by the NFL.

While Roethlisberger isn’t expected to miss any time, the same can’t definitely be said for tight end Heath Miller. Miller suffered a concussion when Ravens linebacker Jameel McClain applied a helmet-to-helmet hit.

“Heath is experiencing some discomfort that goes along with concussions,” said Tomlin. “His availability might be doubtful this week. We’ll see if it picks up as the week goes on. I haven’t talked to him personally so I am hesitant about describing what those symptoms are.

“If we are going to err we are going to err on the side of caution when it comes to a player’s health. That is the appropriate thing to do.”

McClain wasn’t penalized either, but he was fined $40,000 by the NFL for the hit.

Tackle Flozell Adams suffered a mild high ankle sprain, forcing him to leave the Ravens game early. His status is not known at this point.

“We’ll see how it limits him in the early portion of the week and let that determine whether or not he is available to us,” said Tomlin.

If he can’t go, Trai Essex would start.

“Trai finished the game and did a nice job for us,” said Tomlin. “He is the first man off the bench. We’ll see where the week takes us.”

Safety Troy Polamalu will continue to be limited in practice because of an ankle injury, but it will not impact him playing on Sunday against the Bengals.

“We are going to take the similar approach with Troy in terms of his potential practice participation in the early part of the week like we have done the last several weeks,” said Tomlin. “It seems to be serving him and us well.”

The team expects to get tight end Matt Spaeth back this week. Spaeth suffered a concussion against Oakland and has missed the last two games.

“Matt got a clean bill of health,” said Tomlin. “He has been fully cleared and is going to practice and participate on Wednesday. That is encouraging.”

Tomlin also provided an update on defensive end Aaron Smith, who has been sidelined since he injured his triceps against Miami on Oct. 24.

“Aaron had an MRI and he is doing pretty good,” said Tomlin. “He is going to take the next step and start lifting weights and take another MRI in two weeks and see where it takes us. We are encouraged by his progress. There is no setback in his recovery.

“It’s time to take the next step and he will start tossing some weights around which is good news.”

That's it?!? 15 measley thousand?!? :eek1:What a sham.....:rant2:

Rampage
12-08-2010, 07:15 PM
With rain and snow Sunday, it won't stay on for long!

Fortunately, Riddell's engineering department thought about this and was able to partner with Rain-X in order to develop the first visor wiper. Ben can now avoid hands to the nose, rain or shine.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm actually surprised that more QB's don't wear a shield. I guess it can inhibit their vision with glare and all but with all the defenders coming after them you'd think it would happen more often than it does.

LatrobePA
12-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm actually surprised that more QB's don't wear a shield. I guess it can inhibit their vision with glare and all but with all the defenders coming after them you'd think it would happen more often than it does.

Other QB's don't get pounded in the face w/out flags thrown! What's to worry about??lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Other QB's don't get pounded in the face w/out flags thrown! What's to worry about??lol

This is true, most of them get rid of the ball before they get their face planted in the turf or take a club to the nose..LOL

LatrobePA
12-09-2010, 12:58 AM
This is true, most of them get rid of the ball before they get their face planted in the turf or take a club to the nose..LOL

This is also true!! haa:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Just got a tweet that Flozell participated fully in practice today and expects to play on Sunday afternoon!

LatrobePA
12-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Just got a tweet that Flozell participated fully in practice today and expects to play on Sunday afternoon!

Good stuff, thanks! I do however think Essex filled in nicely...

Scorp
12-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Aaron Smith may be lifting weights again but do not look for him to play in any of the four regular-season games left. The defensive end, who had surgery to repair a triceps after it was torn Oct. 24 in Miami, has another MRI scheduled in two weeks.

The hope for him and the Steelers is they will get one of the top two seeds and earn a bye the first week of the playoffs. That would buy Smith one more week and he might be able to make it for that first playoff game the weekend of Jan. 15-16. If that happens, it will have been worth them holding a spot on the roster for him.

Flozell Adams returned to practice and it appears he will make his 13th consecutive start at right tackle Sunday for the Steelers. He and rookie center Maurkice Pouncey are the only linemen who have started every game.

Adams left last Sunday night's game in Baltimore with what coach Mike Tomlin described as a mild high-ankle sprain. He did not practice Wednesday, but Arians said it was good to see him Thursday.

"He's persevered through it and he's not 100 percent, but he's a tough old pro. It's good to have him back out there.

Tight end Heath Miller (concussion) and safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles) did not practice again. Polamalu has missed two practices in each of the past three weeks but has not missed a game.

Root4Stlrs
12-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Aaron Smith may be lifting weights again but do not look for him to play in any of the four regular-season games left. The defensive end, who had surgery to repair a triceps after it was torn Oct. 24 in Miami, has another MRI scheduled in two weeks.

The hope for him and the Steelers is they will get one of the top two seeds and earn a bye the first week of the playoffs. That would buy Smith one more week and he might be able to make it for that first playoff game the weekend of Jan. 15-16. If that happens, it will have been worth them holding a spot on the roster for him.

Flozell Adams returned to practice and it appears he will make his 13th consecutive start at right tackle Sunday for the Steelers. He and rookie center Maurkice Pouncey are the only linemen who have started every game.

Adams left last Sunday night's game in Baltimore with what coach Mike Tomlin described as a mild high-ankle sprain. He did not practice Wednesday, but Arians said it was good to see him Thursday.

"He's persevered through it and he's not 100 percent, but he's a tough old pro. It's good to have him back out there.

I love Flozell. I don't care what anyone else says or thinks.

Rampage
12-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I love Flozell. I don't care what anyone else says or thinks.

You aren't alone. I think that he has stepped in and played well at the RT spot.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I liked the Flo signing from the jump.......even at 35 he is much better then Colon........Pouncey and Flo have been the two rocks on a banged up OL all season.........