PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels as the Steelers OC?

andyg1984
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I have always hated him ... laughed at his draft picks and personnel decisions ..

but still think he could be a good OC .. the man knows his way around a playbook is logistically sound ..

I would never put my money on him coming here with our history, but we can at least talk about it ..

steelersbabex25
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
He would be a really good fit. Realistically though, the Rooney's would never dream of bringing in a guy that was just caught for cheating. That's just not their style.

Steel Trap86
12-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Why McDaniels...if we're gonna dig through FA coaches, get Brian Billick

Zachintosh66
12-06-2010, 10:52 PM
my dog hates you guys... b/c you just made me kick him again

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Do you want a guy that gave away so many good players and got nothing in return, having any input at all in our team? No thanks...

Zachintosh66
12-06-2010, 11:10 PM
My new Motto:

Every time Steeler Nation wants to sign every single free agent, recently cut player or fired coach, a Steeler Angel loses it's Terrible Towel. Please don't anger the Football Gods!

Goodfrom55
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Bottom line, IF Arians is shown the door at the end of the season, whoever the Steelers hire to take his place must be A RUN 1ST ORIENTED COORDINATOR because that's what the Steelers want.

PsychoWard
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I hate BA as much as we all do! but why do we have to bring this up everytime someone gets fired! its not going to happen!!!

andyg1984
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Do you want a guy that gave away so many good players and got nothing in return, having any input at all in our team? No thanks...

some people are better coordinators than coaches .. that is something we should both agree on and his tenure in NE shows that he understands modern football to a high degree ..

as bad as those personnel decisions are that you mentioned (and that i agree with you on), he made kyle orton/brandon lloyd and the rest of those smerf WR's look better than they really are

he is very football smart and everyone knows it ..i said it above, i hate him .. he is like the software engineer who hits a glass ceiling and stays out of management ..

67 offensive TD's in 2007 .. that was the best offense i have ever seen

--- Added 12/6/2010 at 09:35 PM ---

Bottom line, IF Arians is shown the door at the end of the season, whoever the Steelers hire to take his place must be A RUN 1ST ORIENTED COORDINATOR because that's what the Steelers want.

do they get the internet back in 1970?

this is a passing league

acero
12-06-2010, 11:37 PM
NO, NO WAY

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I hate BA as much as we all do! but why do we have to bring this up everytime someone gets fired! its not going to happen!!!

It's inevitable man, as bad as BA is the Steeler Nation would happy with pee wee herman calling the plays as long as his name was Bruce Arians..LOL

some people are better coordinators than coaches .. that is something we should both agree on and his tenure in NE shows that he understands modern football to a high degree ..

as bad as those personnel decisions are that you mentioned (and that i agree with you on), he made kyle orton/brandon lloyd and the rest of those smerf WR's look better than they really are

he is very football smart and everyone knows it ..i said it above, i hate him .. he is like the software engineer who hits a glass ceiling and stays out of management ..

67 offensive TD's in 2007 .. that was the best offense i have ever seen

--- Added 12/6/2010 at 09:35 PM ---

do they get the internet back in 1970?

this is a passing league

Oh I know, some coaches are meant to be coordinators and some, head coaches. I just don't think there is any way the Rooney's even consider him if for no other reason than the cheating stuff. The Broncos ownership is among the most respected in the league and if they don't want him, the Rooney's won't either. Tomlin has to give up his love affair with Arians before we can even hope for a new OC in 2011 :(

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd rather throw 50 yards down the field on 3rd and 1 with Bruce!!!

Hahaahahahahahahahaha

andyg1984
12-06-2010, 11:59 PM
is it tomlin's love affair or ben's real dirty laundry?

SnakeEyes43
12-07-2010, 12:08 AM

Isn't that kind of what happened with Holmes?.....

Steel Trap86
12-07-2010, 12:22 AM
my dog hates you guys... b/c you just made me kick him again

If Asante Samuel left Philly tomorrow and wanted to play for the Steelers would you be on board? lol

Real Deal Steel
12-07-2010, 01:11 AM
I like the three step drop passing that Mcdaniels brings but I don't want to see him anywhere near the Black & Gold.

$teelersRule
12-07-2010, 01:23 AM
he obviously has a mind for offense.. i just would like to see an OC with more of a run-first attitude. Would bring him in as ben's QB coach in a second though!!!

Dean Denton
12-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Do you want a guy that gave away so many good players and got nothing in return, having any input at all in our team? No thanks... I agree, hell no...

JensK
12-07-2010, 05:15 AM
You guys crack me up. Everyone here hates BA, because of his lackluster playcalling, yet you don't want one of the best OC's this league has to offer. Sure, he was not a great head-coach, but there is no telling that you'll translate into a great head-coach, just because one was a great OC. It's not like Denver played bad offensive football. McDaniels made Orton one of the better QBs in the league.. Orton for crying out loud!? Personally, I am convinced that McDaniels would make this offense quite amazing, especially compared to what we have now. That being said, it probably won't happen. They like BA too much.

Dean Denton
12-07-2010, 07:40 AM
If he was any good he wouldn't have cheated. If he was anygood he wouldn't have been fired. No way would I trade a bad OC for a young moron that made bad choice his entire time in Denver. That guy might end up coaching college ball. Doubt anyone takes him any time soon in the pro's.

Raleigh Steel
12-07-2010, 07:42 AM
as far as offenses go mcdaniels would be an upgrade without changing too much. i'm sure the play calling would be a lot better. he wouldn't be my first choice, but if the steelers hired him, i'd be excited.

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 07:52 AM
If he was any good he wouldn't have cheated. If he was anygood he wouldn't have been fired. No way would I trade a bad OC for a young moron that made bad choice his entire time in Denver. That guy might end up coaching college ball. Doubt anyone takes him any time soon in the pro's.

Josh will pull a charlie weiss and turn a KC type team from a loser team to a Offensive Team in one year, All of a sudden Cassell is great... The KC offense is a power house? Go Charlie...

Josh will do the same for a hungry Browns type team as OC... He doesnt have to manage a whole team.. Obviously he is not a people person and was to young to HC as he canned all the hot heads on his team so he could be in control... and not let the players control him.. bad move on his part.. now denver booted him...

He could be a HC again if he redeems himself as an OC, but that will be like 20 years from now as he gets older.

I would love to have an OC that can call a game on a team and score 45-3 on a cold monday night. we have the QB to do it.... and the defense to hold a team to three points..

IMO

Dean Denton
12-07-2010, 08:04 AM
This team will when Sweed comes back...We dont need no umpa lumpa OC to do it. That dude can follow the yellow brick road back to New England...No way would I want Patriot leftovers on this team. I would rather lose every year...

Root4Stlrs
12-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Why is it that all the branches off the "Belicheck coaching tree" we all keep hearing about are unsuccessful as head coaches? I think he would be good as an OC in Pittsburgh, but I can't see it happening either b/c of Spygate Redux in Denver. And there's no indication that BA will be let go - especially if the Steelers make the playoffs this year. If they don't do well, then things could change.

jnes1216
12-07-2010, 11:46 AM
This team will when Sweed comes back...We dont need no umpa lumpa OC to do it. That dude can follow the yellow brick road back to New England...No way would I want Patriot leftovers on this team. I would rather lose every year...

OH, Sweed has been the answer all along... LMFAO. And McDaniels will be in the Pros easily. Any team that is struggling on offense will be glad to have him. Brandon Lloyd on the radio said McDaniels gameplan was detailed and had every possible scenario on there. He said the players were just not executing, but the game planning and prep were there. He does lack on some of the personnel decisions and evaluations.

I don't think he's a fit for Pittsburgh because he is definitely pass first and that doesn't seem the direction Rooney wants to go.

K Train
12-07-2010, 11:53 AM
this is a terrible idea

andyg1984
12-07-2010, 12:05 PM
how so ?

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
this is a terrible idea

hopefully he doesnt end up in cleveland or cinci... as OC.

if he does, we will need to draft and sign 3 Top CB's and a S to keep up with them.

easier to put him on our side...

K Train
12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
mcadaniels has one of the worst egos ive ever seen....he literally ran the broncos into the ground because he couldnt get matt cassell to run his offense. he traded away cutler (franchise QB) and marshall (top 5 WR) and drafted Moreno on a team with 4 capable RBs, Ayers to play n a 34 when hes a 43 LDE at best, bey bey who never had to run a disciplined route in his life, and tebow who was one of the worst 25th overall picks in the history of the planet....he throws a hissy fit when players dont fit his system.

on top of that he traded a 1st round pick for alphonso smith, traded smith to the lions for a 3rd TE in year 2, thats after trading away sheffler to the lions.....just makes no sense

and you all think arians passes the ball too much lmao. hes was good in NE because he could chuck it to moss and welker 90% of the time

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
mcadaniels has one of the worst egos ive ever seen

right... he wont be a head coach for decades...

K Train
12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
hopefully he doesnt end up in cleveland or cinci... as OC.

if he does, we will need to draft and sign 3 Top CB's and a S to keep up with them.

easier to put him on our side...

arians sucks, but theres way better options out there....i hope he does go to cleveland and tries to have an ego fit with mangini.....and run that BS pass offense with colts noodle arm, mossoqui, cribbs, and robiskie...yeahhhh thatll work lol

jnes1216
12-07-2010, 12:16 PM
arians sucks, but theres way better options out there....i hope he does go to cleveland and tries to have an ego fit with mangini.....and run that BS pass offense with colts noodle arm, mossoqui, cribbs, and robiskie...yeahhhh thatll work lol

i hope he goes to Cleveland too. Then they'll get rid of Hillis lol.

K Train
12-07-2010, 12:18 PM
i hope he goes to Cleveland too. Then they'll get rid of Hillis lol.

yeah....he traded hillis to the browns cause he didnt fit his offense.....i forgot about that

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
yeah....he traded hillis to the browns cause he didnt fit his offense.....i forgot about that

well josh had noshow moreno.....

hillis is 30 this year i think.. or next year...

do you really think he pushed belichick around? you think he would push tomlin or any steeler coach around.. nah... a humbling time is in order for this 32 year old.. seriously he is 2 years older than hillis... think about that.

K Train
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
hillis is like 23, he was drafted like 2 years ago lol...he blocked for mcfadden at arkansas lol.

no BB ran that show, and thats exactly what mcdaniels wanted to do...he wanted to be the best guy from the BB tree and he might have been the worst.

moreno was drafted after hillis was traded i think and he never used moreno right, whos probably the most angry runner ive ever seen

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
hillis is like 23, he was drafted like 2 years ago lol...he blocked for mcfadden at arkansas lol.

no BB ran that show, and thats exactly what mcdaniels wanted to do...he wanted to be the best guy from the BB tree and he might have been the worst.

moreno was drafted after hillis was traded i think and he never used moreno right, whos probably the most angry runner ive ever seen

he is 24... i thought he did the the canadian leagues earlier..

SteelDad
12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
AH yes, the obligatory 'Get that guy for OC' thread..... Let's sit back and take in the big picture for a second. There are two different scenarios at play here.

1. Let's say we make the playoffs and get bounced after one or 2 games. Is that enough to warrant a return for BA?

2. Let's say we run the table to #7. Is that enough to warrant a return for BA?

We all know Ben is comfortable with him as OC and it appears Tomlin must be as well. Therefore, what will it take to bring in someone new? A total collapse? Who knows? How on earth could we get rid of BA if we make a deep run or get to the SB though? Believe me, I cannot stand the guy's abilities as OC and want him gone as of yesterday, but we are 9-3 and in position to get a 2 seed in the playoffs.

If and when the time comes, look for former QB coach Mark Whipple who was the OC at the 'U' with Shannon. He'll be looking for a job....

LatrobePA
12-07-2010, 12:56 PM
AH yes, the obligatory 'Get that guy for OC' thread..... Let's sit back and take in the big picture for a second. There are two different scenarios at play here.

1. Let's say we make the playoffs and get bounced after one or 2 games. Is that enough to warrant a return for BA?

2. Let's say we run the table to #7. Is that enough to warrant a return for BA?

We all know Ben is comfortable with him as OC and it appears Tomlin must be as well. Therefore, what will it take to bring in someone new? A total collapse? Who knows? How on earth could we get rid of BA if we make a deep run or get to the SB though? Believe me, I cannot stand the guy's abilities as OC and want him gone as of yesterday, but we are 9-3 and in position to get a 2 seed in the playoffs.

If and when the time comes, look for former QB coach Mark Whipple who was the OC at the 'U' with Shannon. He'll be looking for a job....

Yes BA will be back w/out a doubt!!:reddevil:

Rampage
12-07-2010, 01:17 PM
No thanks. He could be good, but his recent history is off putting.

SteelCityKid5
12-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Is it me or are we trying to gain 50 yards on every pass play? Not until the second half were there shorter passes. I wont bitch about the run anymore but we try going for the deep ball almost every pass.

LatrobePA
12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Is it me or are we trying to gain 50 yards on every pass play? Not until the second half were there shorter passes. I wont bitch about the run anymore but we try going for the deep ball almost every pass.

My #1 complaint...

3rd and 2 and we're trying to throw one 50 yards!!

igor0190
12-07-2010, 01:54 PM
1st and goal from the 9, run up the middle. (ratbirds strength)
2nd and goal from the 10, run up the middle. (ratbirds strength)
3rd and goal from the 10, quick slant to Redman in the middle (Redman works a miracle or we lose that game)

nuclearchihuahuas
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
absolutely not!

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Arians is history.... Too many games with goose eggs in multiple quarters this year......
and he has no contract extension...

Dick has to be pissed to... that he cant unleash his defense with a good lead on...

instead the defense is always having to play on eggshells and cant take any chances on big blitzes because of the -6 to 6 point leads we work with all the time... please....
get rid of his crap already...

harpo
12-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I think this would be a bad idea. There just has to be a better option out there than him. "IF" Arians does get axed after this season, I would think that they'll be looking for someone who incorporates a 'real' fullback into their scheme and not a tightend playing FB.

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I think this would be a bad idea. There just has to be a better option out there than him. "IF" Arians does get axed after this season, I would think that they'll be looking for someone who incorporates a 'real' fullback into their scheme and not a tightend playing FB.

Granted... The FB is cool.. But the passing plays called now even for ben are just crap let alone the run game.. Does arians not believe ben can drop back 2-3 steps and make a quick pass?? Does arians think Ben is lousy at Play Action... Does Arians think our receivers cant run cross routes... Does arians believe our RB's cant go left as much as we go right? Is ben to slow to have a few Planned roll outs... he seems to be at his best rolling out. The big question... If Ben had the Pats OL would he look better with Arians pass plays?

MattyVfromCT
12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
mcadaniels has one of the worst egos ive ever seen....he literally ran the broncos into the ground because he couldnt get matt cassell to run his offense. he traded away cutler (franchise QB) and marshall (top 5 WR) and drafted Moreno on a team with 4 capable RBs, Ayers to play n a 34 when hes a 43 LDE at best, bey bey who never had to run a disciplined route in his life, and tebow who was one of the worst 25th overall picks in the history of the planet....he throws a hissy fit when players dont fit his system.

on top of that he traded a 1st round pick for alphonso smith, traded smith to the lions for a 3rd TE in year 2, thats after trading away sheffler to the lions.....just makes no sense

and you all think arians passes the ball too much lmao. hes was good in NE because he could chuck it to moss and welker 90% of the time

with brady getting all day to throw which isnt happening here with our patchwork o-line

steelchamp204
12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Why not go with Brad Childress? He was all about the run with AP, or did we forget?

Dean Denton
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM

and you all think arians passes the ball too much lmao. hes was good in NE because he could chuck it to moss and welker 90% of the timedidn't he get rid of Hillis too?

Goodfrom55
12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
1st and goal from the 9, run up the middle. (ratbirds strength)
2nd and goal from the 10, run up the middle. (ratbirds strength)
3rd and goal from the 10, quick slant to Redman in the middle (Redman works a miracle or we lose that game)

The quick slant to Redman was a hot read by both Redman and Ben. Ravens came withan all out blitz. Lost in that TD was the blocking on the goalline by Emmanuel Sanders - good job.

--- Added 12/7/2010 at 04:57 PM ---

Bring back Mike Mularkey.

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Why not go with Brad Childress? He was all about the run with AP, or did we forget?

he will be a HC

Blazedby92
12-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Hey Zachingtosh Kick your dog for me one time, if I had one I would too!!! lol

coach
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM

K, don't forget how they traded up to make that 25th pick because he was convinced that there was another idiot that might have taken Tebow in the first round. First, he could have stayed where he was to get Tebow, which still would have been too high. Second, he was the only idiot that thought Tebow would relaistically be picked in the first.

The real beauty of this guy getting fired is that Tebow actually outlasted his head coach and he isn't even a real vauable contributor there. Can you imagine what the past "real contributors" like Marshall and Cutler are saying now (not that I am a fan of either, but I would love to a fly on that wall)?

I can see Cutler asking him, "How is it you want me to make that throw again coach; what do I need to do to be considered successful in your system?"

Denver's next coach will probably be older than dirt after JM's departure.

Steel Trap86
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey Zachingtosh Kick your dog for me one time, if I had one I would too!!! lol

Why don't you give us your opinion instead? Who would be a good shot caller O.C. for the Pittsburgh Steelers? Come on infinite wisdom whats your idea, all I ever see you kicking is everybody elses with no valid reason. Nevermind McDaniels I wouldn't want him either just based on his Patriot genes and he wouldn't fit our system imo, but it's no secret Arians sucks **** and his days are numbered. Is there anybody you have in mind or are you just gonna be a big homer and cheer whoever the Steelers sign? lol

by the way how's Brandon Jacobs doing right now, 102 yards rushing on 8 carries and 2 TD's on sunday. The guy was running like a bull with his balls in a choke chain. What happened to the "pussy who's scared of the middle". cool story bro :yellowthumb:

andyg1984
12-07-2010, 11:46 PM
k train, i opened the thread saying how i laughed at his picks, but we are talking OC here, not director of player personnel ..

he may have an ego but he loves to learn and is EXTREMELY driven to the point to where he may take some advice from BB, try and gather up that humble patriot attitude and realize his only shot at being a head coach again is to go obliterate opposing D's for a few years as an OC ..

sure, he had moss and welker, but so what it was like they were playing madden ...

how many other guys out there are more qualified to run an offense ?

Blazedby92
12-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Why don't you give us your opinion instead? Who would be a good shot caller O.C. for the Pittsburgh Steelers? Come on infinite wisdom whats your idea, all I ever see you kicking is everybody elses with no valid reason. Nevermind McDaniels I wouldn't want him either just based on his Patriot genes and he wouldn't fit our system imo, but it's no secret Arians sucks **** and his days are numbered. Is there anybody you have in mind or are you just gonna be a big homer and cheer whoever the Steelers sign? lol

by the way how's Brandon Jacobs doing right now, 102 yards rushing on 8 carries and 2 TD's on sunday. The guy was running like a bull with his balls in a choke chain. What happened to the "pussy who's scared of the middle". cool story bro :yellowthumb:

LMAO, Your the one that posted the thread to pick up Jacobs if the gaints cut or trade him that's funny sh**, Zach needs to kick his dog twice one for the jacobs thread and one for you.

Glad it only took you 5 to 10 weeks to try and prove me wrong:lol:
Good game Brandon!!! against the skins:lol:
If 86 was there he would give you a pat on the ***
Go back to :gal:

O yeah when the season ends that is when you will get my answer for the OC because it isn't going to happen during the season!!!!!
That's why I posted what I posted, @#%^&&*(%$#

coldrolled
12-08-2010, 08:24 AM
his only shot at being a head coach again is to go obliterate opposing D's for a few years as an OC..how many other guys out there are more qualified to run an offense ?

Maybe the Rooneys should hire Josh as an Offensive Consultant and stick him in the booth upstairs to organize our offense a bit.... That will send some signals to Arians and maybe he will start getting more creative... :lol:

Steel Trap86
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
LMAO, Your the one that posted the thread to pick up Jacobs if the gaints cut or trade him that's funny sh**, Zach needs to kick his dog twice one for the jacobs thread and one for you.

Glad it only took you 5 to 10 weeks to try and prove me wrong:lol:
Good game Brandon!!! against the skins:lol:
If 86 was there he would give you a pat on the ***
Go back to :gal:

O yeah when the season ends that is when you will get my answer for the OC because it isn't going to happen during the season!!!!!
That's why I posted what I posted, @#%^&&*(%$#

:whatever: What's wrong with discussing potential O.C. replacements or draft picks during the season, it's ok to look ahead sometimes!, you're not director of personnel you're another fan that thinks he's a coach. You just go with whoever gets signed and adopt that as your opinion cause you're about as interesting as a ****ing sock. no speculation on anything lol

lmao funny thing is I didn't make that Jacobs thread, I agreed with the poster and left it alone until I saw you hating on somebody again with no real reason. Stop trying to downplay his day just because it was against the Skins, he's been running solid for weeks and splitting carries with Bradshaw while doing it, face it you didn't know what the hell you were talking about then and you still don't know, just a hater. lol and I don't even know what to make of that smiley dude LMAO:sHa_okay: keep this guy away from dogs!

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
ah, scuse me. didn't he use some ah, hidden cameras somewhere to firgure out what another team wuz doin? jus sayin ya all. pittsburgh does not need that dsob.

coldrolled
12-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Look at the Bears this year, we need an upgrade bad...

Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz's humbleness is behind the team's offensive transformation.

manofsteel
12-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I think he would be a great candidate for the PITT coaching Job. Another coach with NFL experience and ties to Scouts could be good for recruiting. However he would need to hire a good D coordinater.

coldrolled
12-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe Josh could help us score some points in the first three qtrs and beat the Pats in the AFCC...

I can't stomach a loss to the Pats in the AFCC with Arians calling the game.. It would be totally heart brreaking... i cant take it....... i need help.. im getting a beer...

KSSteelerfan
12-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Ditto!!! :plus1:

coldrolled
12-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Did arians pick our draft picks?? theres a good question....

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Personally I don't think Josh McDaniels would be a good fit with Ben.........but that is my opinion so I would be against McDaniels as OC for the Steelers.......

I still say BA would be ok if had an improved OL that he actually could call an effective offense with.....But what drives me nuts about BA he is so stubborn at times and he doesn't like to adjust....

I don't like retread HC's to be a HC and I also don't like retread HC's for OC or DC.........So I wouldn't want Billick either.......

andyg1984
12-09-2010, 08:50 PM

i would want a guy that ran an offense that set NFL records and has a ridiculously high football IQ , but that is just me..

we are not talking about him making personnel decisions