PDA

View Full Version : The Pistol Formation - Thoughts

TheFizzman
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
When i saw them line up last night from the Pistol, i jumped up and shouted "YES about time arians did something smart"

This formation is 20x better then the conventional shotgun

1. Handoffs - It gets mendy running downhill before the handoff, thus allowing less time needed to approach the line. It seemed to work a bit against the ravens, which is saying something. Imagine a team with a weaker D line.

2. Protection - Gives ben more protection...maybe an extra second. OLBS have been burning our Tackles this year and thus the pistol takes away that angle of attack. As long as the guards and center can keep the middle of the line held, this should give ben a few more seconds

3. Play Action - This is probably the most effective position to use play action because of the options you have. The steelers could even go college-esque, and run play action reads for mendy. This is going to help if our line continues to struggle. Every second helps.

I know there are probably more benefits to this formation. At the same time, i do not want them running this formation 100% of the time. This is a good base formation, that hopefully they could build on

:cope:

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Pistol w/ Redman behind center would be interesting!! I would say Mendy but he dances too much at times!

All in all it helped Ben!

igor0190
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
That formation would give Mendy a split second more time to see the holes... then he would have 0 excuse to dance like he does. Hit the hole and drive it... the one knock on Mendy I have. He just chooses not to use his power.

Zachintosh66
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah wtf is up with Mendy at times? When he dances he gets sh!t. When he actually hits the hole he does WAY better.

When he hits the hole, he is a fast guy, it looks like hes shot out of a cannon. Which is prolly best suited for our below par OL

coldrolled
12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Mendy may have had a phantom pain in his shoulder...

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah wtf is up with Mendy at times? When he dances he gets sh!t. When he actually hits the hole he does WAY better.

When he hits the hole, he is a fast guy, it looks like hes shot out of a cannon. Which is prolly best suited for our below par OL

Yep, when the oline gets a negative push he has no where to go! But even times when he has a seam he tends to dance...

I'd like to see more Redman N&S type running...

steelers4life66
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Mendy may have had a phantom pain in his shoulder...
:lol:

SteelDad
12-06-2010, 02:48 PM
It would be very interesting to hear the actual reasons as to why they went to the pistol. The negative is that it really exploited Mendy's inability to just hit the damn hole whether it's there or not. Waaaaaayyyyy too much dancing. Positive is that it allows BR just a little more time to throw while keeping the offense pretty much the same.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
They used this formation to help out Ben, to keep him from putting too much pressure on his bad foot. Standing back allows him to see the field more quickly and to get rid of the ball faster. However since our OL is so bad it didn't do all that much good if you ask me, the pressure still got through way too often.

As long as Ben's foot is messed up I would imagine Arians will continue to use it to some degree.

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
BA should use a pistol on himself!!

jnes1216
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Anything that gives opposing defenses something else to think about I'm OK with.

Mendy's "dancing" will hopefully be obvious to him as he watches the game tape and he'll have some of that corrected next time.

Did I see a quick slant to Wallace last night? Not sure if it was out of the pistol formation though. good to see some of those.

Blazedby92
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I'll say it like I have been since we drafted Mendy he is scared of contact, always looking to run towards the sideline and if anyone watches you'll see, the perfect example of him being scared was last night. He's got talent but I just question his toughness.

mariners100
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Personally, it was a smart idea to get the ball into and out of Ben's hands quick with the amount of pressure that Baltimore puts on teams. I wish that they would constantly run hurry up (until they get a lead) but the Pistol worked well and I hope that they keep it during the stretch run.

steelersbabex25
12-06-2010, 03:29 PM

I was waiting for that.

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I was waiting for that.

I don't mean it, I'm sure he's a great guy just not a great OC!!

SteelDad
12-06-2010, 03:37 PM

How did I know you'd be the one to go there? :clap:

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 03:42 PM
How did I know you'd be the one to go there? :clap:

Yea I shouldn't have! Not real cool, it's football, not like he's a terrorist to the society!!

I take it back Bruce!!

SteelDad
12-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Yea I shouldn't have! Not real cool, it's football, not like he's a terrorist to the society!!

I take it back Bruce!!

C'mon Latrobe! I'll think less of you for taking it back.:lol:

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
C'mon Latrobe! I'll think less of you for taking it back.:lol:

It's hard for me to do, but it wasn't too classy! lol

Goodfrom55
12-06-2010, 07:36 PM
That formation would give Mendy a split second more time to see the holes... then he would have 0 excuse to dance like he does. Hit the hole and drive it... the one knock on Mendy I have. He just chooses not to use his power.

I thought Mendy ran hard last night, but only "danced" when there was absolutely nothing there. You do nothing good by running up the back of your own linemen, possibly causing yet another injury. My only gripe with Mendy lasy night was twice he got a case of alligator arms and pulled up on passes.

Remember, much like Brady would struggle behind our O-line, Mendy behind the Pats line would have 2000 yards.