PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fines and NFLPA

nuclearchihuahuas
12-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I have recently been wondering if these fines for so called safety violations aren't really a play for a bargaining chip with the NFLPA for the CBA. It seems to me that imposing all of the huge fines is the league creating a term of compromise or concession. When the NFLPA says we will play 18 games or give some other concession in exchange for a huge reduction in these fines levied against players...the league can agreee and have really lost nothing because they aren't really interested in the level of the fines but in using it to gain a concession and not actually giving up anything they want. I am suspicious because on the sudden onset of these fines mid season and because the talks seemed to stop moving forward at the same time. They are coming after the Steelers because they are one of the hardest hitting most respected teams in the league. I think the plan is for the NFLPA to feel they've gained something while the league gives up nothing. HMMM

nuclearchihuahuas
12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
should have posted this link with previous

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b8cb71/article/nflpa-head-smith-addresses-player-safety-other-issues

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
It's hard to tell what's going on with the CBA right now, we've heard very little since the year started. Suffice it to say that these fines will be a hot topic at the barganing table this offseason. Ray Anderson has said they are going to review the fine policy this offseason, and possibly make changes to it. Hello, duh? Of course you have to change it. Stop making it so difficult. Offense A equates to Punishment A. Offense B equates to punishment B. Then you have a sub set of fine rules for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, time offenders under the same situation.

Honestly, the way the NFL is handling these fines, the NFLPA is going to have a lot to say about how they want things changed. It's going to be a tug of war yet again only this time the time table is alot less forgiving. The owners right now have the upper hand so they are going to be less likely to want to compromise.

nuclearchihuahuas
12-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Honestly, the way the NFL is handling these fines, the NFLPA is going to have a lot to say about how they want things changed. It's going to be a tug of war yet again only this time the time table is alot less forgiving. The owners right now have the upper hand so they are going to be less likely to want to compromise.

This is exactly my point. I believe this is a contrived bone of contention between the owners and the NFLPA created by management in order to provide them a bargaining point that they don't really care about but will look like they are giving something to the players union in exchange for that which they actually value -- the 18 game season or medical benefits etc. The owners aren't paying these fines, the players are. It doesn't really matter to them. I believe its nothing more than a bargaining chip. They will compromise on this point to get whatever it is they really want.

LarryNJ
12-06-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree with most of what you are saying. (the only part I disagree with is that the Steelers are being targeted) Of course it goes much deeper than what the average fan is looking at. We as fans like to slam the commissioner but often fail to realize that he works for the owners. He's just a little puppet, no different than most of the politicians in our country. Their strings are being pulled by people with much more money and power than they have. This denying disability claims has been a huge topic and has been going on for years. The owners stand to lose out on MILLIONS of $$$$ in claims and lawsuits. They didn't get to be as rich as they all are without watching every dollar.

Anyone who is interested in being more informed about what is going on behind the scene in the NFL I'd recommend this site. Lots of very interesting reads. It may very well change your opinion on the current situation, at the very least you'll be more informed.

http://davepear.com/blog/