PDA

View Full Version : How are the Steelers 9-3 with this offensive line?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 01:31 AM
My God, how many different people can we play in this group. There is nobody on the line that has played the entire season without atleast missing either a game, games, or some part of a game. Scott was getting completely owned by Suggs all night long, Pouncey was having issues with Njata, and then Flozell goes out with a high ankle sprain. I'm just wondering how much longer can they hold out. At this point they are consistently "ok" and that's about as good as you can say.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-06-2010, 01:33 AM
we been dam lucky to have gotten as far as we have with this lineman by committee approach

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2010, 01:37 AM
How did the Steelers win the Super Bowl in 2008 with that OL?....lol This OL due to injury is in worse shape but that 2008 OL wasn't much better.......When you have a special QB that makes plays in big moments and a very good at times great Defense when its not timid to play then you can over come garbage along the OL.......I don't know if this season ends up like 2008 but the Steelers do have as good as shot as any team......

HUNT4SEVEN
12-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Because of plays like this...http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81cae0a6/Polamalu-sacks-Flacco-forces-fumble?module=HP_cp2

igor0190
12-06-2010, 01:43 AM
I loved the replay where Pouncey completely took ray lewis outta the play... owned him.:lol:

steelersbabex25
12-06-2010, 01:44 AM
How are we 9-3 with that offensive line? Simple really. Ben Roethlisberger is a god.

Farrior Fan
12-06-2010, 01:45 AM
No one ever touches Peyton Manning.

Defense wins championships, F all the pretty boys that wouldn't have played with a bruised foot. Ours played with a broken foot and nose. We will find a way (that way usually wears a 43 or 92 jersey).

jnes1216
12-06-2010, 01:45 AM
I loved the replay where Pouncey completely took ray lewis outta the play... owned him.:lol:

that was great!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 01:47 AM
The Super Bowl 43 team was a different situation, the defense was unbelievably stellar that they could compensate for the shortcomings of the OL. This defense is good, there is no doubt, but they aren't as epic as that unit. If for no other reason than that team had a healthy Aaron Smith and BMac was playing well unlike tonight and last week.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2010, 01:52 AM
QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;387419]The Super Bowl 43 team was a different situation, the defense was unbelievably stellar that they could compensate for the shortcomings of the OL. This defense is good, there is no doubt, but they aren't as epic as that unit. If for no other reason than that team had a healthy Aaron Smith and BMac was playing well unlike tonight and last week.[/QUOTE]

Well yea Top, but man I wasn't comparing this defense to the 2008 unit.....All I'm saying is when you have a clutch QB and a defense that can come up with clutch plays then your team can overcome short comings on the team......Usually a poor OL dooms a team but 2008 proved you can win with a poor OL............Again this defense isn't 2008 level but its good enough to win a Super Bowl with........

Only question I have is.........Is Tony Hills that bad?....To not even get a sniff at LT or RT..........Scott is just bad..........:lol: If Adams is out I don't want to see Essex at RT....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Trust me 32, I'm right with you. These guys are so consistently inconsistent it's not even funny. The defense is coming up big when they have too but man you get them against a good QB like Brees, or even an unknown like Fitzpatrick and the secondary gets torched. If they are going to go to the big game this year it's going to take all 53 guys and hope to God somebody makes a play.

jnes1216
12-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Who do we have on the practice squad if Flozell is out?

What happened to Chris Scott?

igor0190
12-06-2010, 01:57 AM
No one ever touches Peyton Manning.

Defense wins championships, F all the pretty boys that wouldn't have played with a bruised foot. Ours played with a broken foot and nose. We will find a way (that way usually wears a 43 or 92 jersey).

Manning is getting pressure now and he's showing it with his happy feet, and all those interceptions / pick 6's... There's a reason manning hasn't won more in the playoffs and he's such a regular season phenom. He's not capable of making plays outside the pocket, he's a methodical pocket passer and doesn't know how to improvise.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2010, 01:59 AM
Trust me 32, I'm right with you. These guys are so consistently inconsistent it's not even funny. The defense is coming up big when they have too but man you get them against a good QB like Brees, or even an unknown like Fitzpatrick and the secondary gets torched. If they are going to go to the big game this year it's going to take all 53 guys and hope to God somebody makes a play.

Really in 2008 it took all 53 guys to........The defense had an epic year all season but also blew the lead in the Super Bowl....But Ben and Holmes came through in the clutch........

The only thing that compares to 2008 is it seems the Steelers are forming that Band of Brother unity again which was huge in them winning the Super Bowl.......These type of games build that tonight........Really I think Goodell and his vision of his soft NFL did the Steelers a favor....I see the Steelers taking out that us against the attitude again......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 02:02 AM
Really in 2008 it took all 53 guys to........The defense had an epic year all season but also blew the lead in the Super Bowl....But Ben and Holmes came through in the clutch........

The only thing that compares to 2008 is it seems the Steelers are forming that Band of Brother unity again which was huge in them winning the Super Bowl.......These type of games build that tonight........Really I think Goodell and his vision of his soft NFL did the Steelers a favor....I see the Steelers taking out that us against the attitude again......

It just scares me to think we are 9-3 with an OL like we have now and with the secondary we have now. I do agree with you though, the team is rallying around each other and taking that us against the world mentality. They know they have nobody but themselves to hold onto because the NFL will flag them for waking up on the wrong side of the bed.

I do wish we had the secondary that we had in that super bowl though, atleast they were more apt to make plays. This is a different team now, different situation, but they are banding together as you mentioned and that goes a long way. They need to keep this momentum now and keep doing what they are doing because it's getting wins despite the injuries.

Troyisabeast_43
12-06-2010, 02:24 AM
QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;387419]The Super Bowl 43 team was a different situation, the defense was unbelievably stellar that they could compensate for the shortcomings of the OL. This defense is good, there is no doubt, but they aren't as epic as that unit. If for no other reason than that team had a healthy Aaron Smith and BMac was playing well unlike tonight and last week.

Well yea Top, but man I wasn't comparing this defense to the 2008 unit.....All I'm saying is when you have a clutch QB and a defense that can come up with clutch plays then your team can overcome short comings on the team......Usually a poor OL dooms a team but 2008 proved you can win with a poor OL............Again this defense isn't 2008 level but its good enough to win a Super Bowl with........

Only question I have is.........Is Tony Hills that bad?....To not even get a sniff at LT or RT..........Scott is just bad..........:lol: If Adams is out I don't want to see Essex at RT....lol[/QUOTE]

I agree Scott is a complete turnstyle over at left tackle and needs to be replaced by Hills or anybody else...

Farrior Fan
12-06-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm convinced that we will have to suffer with what we have. Lets just hope that Flo can play next week. Hills MUST be awful if he still is getting zero PT.

scott0326
12-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Any news on Flozell Adams yet?

SteelersWoman
12-06-2010, 04:41 AM
My God, how many different people can we play in this group. There is nobody on the line that has played the entire season without atleast missing either a game, games, or some part of a game. Scott was getting completely owned by Suggs all night long, Pouncey was having issues with Njata, and then Flozell goes out with a high ankle sprain. I'm just wondering how much longer can they hold out. At this point they are consistently "ok" and that's about as good as you can say.

I'd love to see a chart breakdown after every substitution for the line this season--I'm sure it would be interesting lol Everyone always talks about needing consistency to be effective? They've been consistently patchworked.... :thinking:

coldrolled
12-06-2010, 08:14 AM
How did the Steelers win the Super Bowl in 2008 with that OL?....lol This OL due to injury is in worse shape but that 2008 OL wasn't much better.......When you have a special QB that makes plays in big moments and a very good at times great Defense when its not timid to play then you can over come garbage along the OL.......I don't know if this season ends up like 2008 but the Steelers do have as good as shot as any team......

We have a defense that held a team down to 10 points..... hopefully our offense can score more than 10....

Troy.. The Player of the game.

Rampage
12-06-2010, 12:14 PM
This offensive line leaves me scratching my head a lot. Between o-line and secondary, I can see this team investing quite a few draft picks.

JensK
12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I think its about time this team stops being pussies and pick up some talent through free agency!?

Farrior Fan
12-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I think its about time this team stops being pussies and pick up some talent through free agency!?

Like Flozell?

Trust me guys, all front offices are looking at every FA out there and if the players were that great they would not be FA's for long. The O and D line is where it all begins. Without one you better have Ben as your QB. With one you could have a scrub like Mark Sanchez and be fine. :lol:

coldrolled
12-06-2010, 12:23 PM

2 FA's one CB and a OL player.... All summer i waited....

i dont get it either... everyone else loads up on talent.. we are asking for 1 or 2 top talents.

then we say we are building thru the draft picks, but they dont get to play.. so what good are they now or later...

:cope:

Rampage
12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
2 FA's one CB and a OL player.... All summer i waited....

i dont get it either... everyone else loads up on talent.. we are asking for 1 or 2 top talents.

then we say we are building thru the draft picks, but they dont get to play.. so what good are they now or later...

:cope:

Hell, not only do they see no playing time, it seems like they aren't even on the team a year after they are drafted. If this team thinks it is going to build through the draft, it better start hitting on some picks, at least on the first through the third.

coldrolled
12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Like Flozell?

Trust me guys, all front offices are looking at every FA out there and if the players were that great they would not be FA's for long. The O and D line is where it all begins. Without one you better have Ben as your QB. With one you could have a scrub like Mark Sanchez and be fine. :lol:

Flozell is a patch

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Flozell was the best available by far, at the time we were looking at a replacement for Colon. He signed a 2 year deal, which works out nicely because if they can't resign Colon or choose not 2 they have another year as with Flozell at RT.

SteelDad
12-06-2010, 07:11 PM
As I said during the game last night in the gameday thread, if we don't invest the majority of our 2011 draft picks on OL and DB's then someone needs to be slapped upside the head. Yes we have other needs but let's be real.

Also, I don't think anyone can underestimate the performance of our rookie center. He is the absolute anchor of that line and gets people in the positions they need to be in. Pouncey will no doubt lose ROY honors to Sam Bradford and that is certainly up for debate, but I guarantee you there are several teams kicking themselves for not drafting Mr. Pouncey.

nuclearchihuahuas
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM

YES! Please God, all I want for Christmas are two superstar Offensive Tackles for the Pittsburgh Steelers! :pray::pray::pray:

Goodfrom55
12-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Might be out of left field, but have to give props to the O-Line coach for working with these guys to the point they are all "interchangeable" to play multiple positions.

Clevelandsux
12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
We won a sb with a crappy line. Jonathan Scott is just plain awful.

roosterray
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM

We are winning because our Oline coach has them playing together. They struggle but they are playing harder and better then 2008. We only have 2 starters out there and Ben got a lot of time in the pocket until Flo went down. The key this year is that our Center is WAY better then last year.

SteelDad
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Might be out of left field, but have to give props to the O-Line coach for working with these guys to the point they are all "interchangeable" to play multiple positions.

It's a good point. Just imagine what Kugler might be able to do with a talented and/or healthy O-line.

coach
12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Its too bad the OC wont call more quick passing plays in an attemptto help them more. You can't expect these guys to hold the D back for 4 plus seconds all game long.

Rampage
12-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Its too bad the OC wont call more quick passing plays in an attemptto help them more. You can't expect these guys to hold the D back for 4 plus seconds all game long.

He does. Its the bubble screen! :banging:

coldrolled
12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Same as the pats are 9-2 with the 32nd ranked defense..

cmerrifield
12-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I think this line is as good as the 08 line overall, Pouncey>Hartwig, Scott<Starks, but overall about the same. They seem to step it up when the game is on the line.

airbrake 1
12-07-2010, 07:20 PM

This is exactly what the steelers shouldn't do...i hate when people say the steelers are cheap and never go after big name free agents, the steelers are always at the salary cap limit for payroll, they just spend money wisely, that's why we are perennial contenders...ask teams like washington and dallas how all those big name free agents have worked out (albert haynesworth)....the steelers have always built through the draft and should continue to do so...the teams who spend stupid money on free agents usually have 1 good year and then four shabby years...no thanks i'll take the perennial contender

JensK
12-07-2010, 07:48 PM
This is exactly what the steelers shouldn't do...i hate when people say the steelers are cheap and never go after big name free agents, the steelers are always at the salary cap limit for payroll, they just spend money wisely, that's why we are perennial contenders...ask teams like washington and dallas how all those big name free agents have worked out (albert haynesworth)....the steelers have always built through the draft and should continue to do so...the teams who spend stupid money on free agents usually have 1 good year and then four shabby years...no thanks i'll take the perennial contender

I am not asking them to go out and sign Darelle Revis, but with the age of this defense, and with the state of the secondary and the age of the defense, this team will be remarkably worse than now in 2-3 years, and we most likely won't have enough quality draft picks to make up for that, especially seeing our draft record the last couple of years. We need a couple of pick ups, such as Farrior was it etc.

coach
12-07-2010, 07:48 PM
He does. Its the bubble screen! :banging:

Too funny. But, I meant passes that gained yards.