PDA

View Full Version : Art Rooney thinks the Steelers are being targeted

TampaSteelGirl
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/03/art-rooney-thinks-the-steelers-are-being-targeted/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 3, 2010, 9:48 AM EST
Art Rooney thinks the Steelers are being targeted

The NFL believes that the notion the league has targeted the Steelers in the ongoing crackdown against illegal hits is “misguided and, frankly, completely untrue.”

Steelers president Art Rooney believes otherwise.

“It certainly looks that way,” Rooney tells the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Not that we’re expecting much sympathy from other teams, but I think some of this will be part of the discussion after the season is over. Hopefully we’ll all have our chances to express our opinions and at that point have a better understanding of where the owners in the league stand on some of this.”

The Steelers have had plenty of chances to express their opinions, because they’ve been expressing their opinions constantly ever since October 17, when a rash of helmet-to-helmet hits spawned a flurry of big fines against players from three different teams, including Steelers linebacker James Harrison. Harrison has since been fined for a pair of roughing-the-passer penalties that entailed Harrison striking the quarterback with Harrison’s helmet, a clear violation of the rules in the eyes of everyone but Harrison, his teammates, the coaching staff, and Steelers fans.

“I think we’re sympathetic to the idea that we need to focus on player safety and particularly on helmet-to-helmet hits,” Rooney said. “The other side of it is it’s still a football game, and I think we’ve got to be realistic about how the rules can be changed and what we expect of the defensive players in particular.”

In our view, Rooney also should be realistic about — and sensitive to — the impact of his words on his players and his team’s fans. With the mob already predisposed to adopting a hostile stance against perceived heavy-handedness by a league office that, in prior years, had been perceived as residing in the Steelers’ back pockets, comments from folks like Rooney and coach Mike Tomlin will fan the flames, and Rooney surely is smart enough to know it.

The mere fact that the league has yet to fine Rooney or Tomlin for engaging in conduct detrimental to the long-term interests of the league via public comments undermining the NFL’s approach to safety proves that, to a certain extent, the NFL still tiptoes on eggshells when it comes to one of the league’s marquee franchises. Indeed, Art Rooney’s public criticism of the league includes an acknowledgment that these matters would be better handled directly and privately with the league office.

“I think he shares some of the concerns we have,” Art Rooney of his father, Dan Rooney. “I’m sure the conversation he’s having are between him and the league, and that’s the way they should be kept.”

So why are Art Rooney and Mike Tomlin grandstanding about the issue in the media? Because they’re focused not on the big picture but on winning enough games to set the table for a run to the Super Bowl. And they want to place maximum pressure on the game officials and the Commissioner to refrain from taking action that would give the opponents 15-yards of field position, make Harrison unavailable for a game or more, and/or ultimately neuter a hard-hitting defense that relies on the ability to physically intimidate.

And so they’ll continue to engage in tactics aimed directly or indirectly at verbally intimidating those who would threaten the franchise’s hammerlock on physical intimidation. It’ll continue as long as the league office allows it, and the league office already has allowed too much of it.

I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA TO FINE THE ROONEYS AND TOMLIN...I LOVE THAT THEY ARE MAKING NOISE!!! :tt02::tt02:

igor0190
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Good luck to the NFL in trying to fine the Rooney’s… One of the most respected ownership family in sports. I don’t think that would go over well, considering Roger Goofball works FOR the owners. Maybe the NFL should actually look at this and consider that maybe THEY ARE doing something wrong.

Rampage
12-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I am very pleased to see Rooney speaking out. Time to use a little clout to get the NFL to back off.

LatrobePA
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
It's about time, I'm sick of hearing from the players!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Nice to see not only the players, coach Tomlin stepping up and voicing their opinion, but now the big man himself. This will most certainly be a hot topic this off season, and like Tunch eluded too last night in our interview, the looming CBA talks could be affected by this issue. The NFLPA hasn't said anything about this since it started, and with the players up in arms over it with seemingly no help from the union, it's going to be very interesting to watch.

igor0190
12-03-2010, 01:05 PM
The NFL, Roger Goofball and Ray Anderson may have created quite a mess for themselves here. The deserve all the backlash they get for this. They are being stubborn and completely unresponsive to the concerns of the players. Terrible management of this issue.

chisteeler
12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Rooney's comments will make for an interesting Sunday evening. Let's see if the refs let them play...hum?

lloydfan4life
12-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I love it that's he's not sitting back and allowing his team to 'take it'. :clap:

Anyone get the feeling the owners are getting tired of the Goodell shenanigans? :woot:

Scorp
12-03-2010, 01:41 PM
They'll play regardless of what the refs do. Things are changing on the players part already. Refs can only throw a flag or eject a player. Refs can't change how players play.

Steel Trap86
12-03-2010, 02:08 PM
so much ****ing controversy right now, i just hope we can get through it. i really don't want to lose this game on sunday

LatrobePA
12-03-2010, 02:11 PM
The NFL, Roger Goofball and Ray Anderson may have created quite a mess for themselves here. The deserve all the backlash they get for this. They are being stubborn and completely unresponsive to the concerns of the players. Terrible management of this issue.

F them both, they're both shady as hell!!

Zachintosh66
12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
another targeting thread....

SteelersWoman
12-03-2010, 04:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2641027

Steelers owner Dan Rooney, who all but served as the campaign manager for new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, on Friday was hit hard by the man he helped shepherd into office less than three months ago.....Rooney played a significant role in Goodell's selection as the successor to retired commissioner Paul Tagliabue. During the balloting, Rooney delivered a speech in which he championed the candidacy of the longtime NFL executive. And it was Rooney, serving in his capacity as co-chairman of the commissioner election committee, that went to Goodell's hotel room in Chicago to tell him that he had been chosen as Tagliabue's successor.

Goodell fined Rooney $25,000 for his criticism of game officials after the Steelers' overtime loss to the Atlanta Falcons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atl) last Sunday. Adding to the irony, the action came on the same day league officials announced Falcons defensive end Chauncey Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7304), whose apparent helmet-to-helmet collision on Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6770) knocked the Pittsburgh quarterback from the game in the third quarter, would not be fined. Roethlisberger suffered a concussion on the play and missed one day of practice this week, but he will start Sunday at Oakland. Some observers felt Davis would draw a fine for the hit, but the league officials who review the videotape of every game and closely scrutinize every questionable play obviously disagreed.

Rooney did not mince words in the aftermath of a bitter defeat, one in which he clearly felt referee Ron Winter's crew was in error on several calls.
"Those officials should be ashamed of themselves," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That last call, you don't get that kind of call." The Steelers' chairman was referring to a false-start flag on Washington, a penalty that by rule required a 10-second runoff on the game clock, preventing the Steelers from attempting a potential game-winning field goal in regulation.

Since he's already been fined in 2006 for speaking out, he knows he's taking a chance with this.

Farrior Fan
12-03-2010, 07:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2641027

Since he's already been fined in 2006 for speaking out, he knows he's taking a chance with this.

who gives a schlitz? what are they gonna do...fine him? The Rooneys are made of money.

lloydfan4life
12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
another targeting thread....

:hehheh: BA is lovin' this.... Steeler Nation's fury hasn't been on him lately.

FYI Bruce.... you're not out of the woods... we still think you suck. :yesnod:

SteelDad
12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
While I think it's great to see Mr. Rooney defending his players, it also pulls open wide the curtain of profootballtalk.com and especially Mike Florio. His comments at the end of the article are just plain stupid and reek of his brown-nosing the league offices. To say that Mr. Rooney or Mike Tomlin are out of line for "grandstanding" is hilarious. What else are they going to do? Florio is an absolute idiot.

LarryNJ
12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
:hehheh: BA is lovin' this.... Steeler Nation's fury hasn't been on him lately.

FYI Bruce.... you're not out of the woods... we still think you suck. :yesnod:

hahaha nice! 1 week without a fine and only 5 penalties and tha will all be over.