PDA

View Full Version : NFL denies targeting Steelers

Steel Trap86
12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, responded to several Steelers players' claims that the league is targeting the team, particularly linebacker James Harrison, in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Thursday.

"I would say that's misguided and, frankly, completely untrue," Anderson said when asked if the Steelers are being targeted. "Every team and every player, hopefully, will have the confidence that, if they play within the rules, we won't have this problem."

Harrison was fined $25,000 this week for a helmet-leading hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, running the linebacker's tab this season to $125,000 for four separate violations of the league's policy on illegal hits.

"It angers me, of course, that they're taking absurd amounts of money from me for plays that I consider to be clean and legal hits," Harrison said Wednesday. "I'm sure if you asked 10 guys in the league, nine of them would say he's not a dirty player. He's a hard player. He's just getting a bad (reputation) right now."

Anderson reiterated the league's decree from earlier this season that those players inflicting helmet-to-helmet or flagrant hits will be subject to suspension.

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward lashed out at the NFL on Wednesday for what he calls its hypocritical stance on player safety, arguing the league recently toughened its stance only because it wants to expand to an 18-game season.

"The league doesn't care about us anyway," said Ward, a 13-year veteran and the leading receiver in Steelers history. "They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on? You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials. You don't want us to gamble, but then there are (NFL-endorsed lottery scratch-off games)."

Asked about Ward's charge, Anderson said, "I have no comment to Hines Ward."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c948de/article/league-rejects-steelers-claims-about-targeting-team-harrison?module=HP_headlines

I wouldn't call 125k "misguided"

This guy Ray Anderson will discuss the "James Harrisson controversy" and the league's policy on player safety in a live chat at 2pm tomorrow here http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1278

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Of course he's going to say they aren't targeting the Steelers, he's not actually going to tell the truth. The backlash would be felt all over sports, not just the NFL. The fact is, everybody knows that Harrison has a target on his back. Everybody knows the Steelers are more vocal about how they play than other teams so the officials are going to toss the flags when in doubt.

I wish I could be at the live chat, but it's a safe bet he will give the most bland, vague, and politically correct answers that he can. He'll dodge around any direct question I'm sure.

Scorp
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
The players should just take over the nfl. Nuff said. Oh yeah, F/U Goodell and all your buddies.

Goodfrom55
12-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Over the past 3 weeks, they went from a team that committed an average of 5-6 penalties a game for 50-60 yards to a team that is full of thugs to the tune of 14 penalties for 150+ yard vs the Raiders and 11 for 110+ vs the Bills? I smell smoke and where you smell smoke, you will usually find a fire.

Dallas Burgher
12-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Don't mind calling cheap shots but how do you get fined for a legal hit that wasn't even a penalty? The sudden increase in penalties against the Steelers make the lie even more obvious. Roger's ego is way out of control.

Goodfrom55
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Cheap shots I agree. Like Terrel Suggs said yesterday about how in 2005, Carson Palmer blew out his knee because goodl 'ol Kemo was blocvked into his knee. no big deal, bad luck for Carson. It happens to Brady and they rewrite the rule book.

Really, how can they fine someone for a hit on which no penalty was called?

jnes1216
12-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Really, how can they fine someone for a hit on which no penalty was called?

Maybe that's why they've been so heavy handed on the flags lately.:scratch:

nuclearchihuahuas
12-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Over the past 3 weeks, they went from a team that committed an average of 5-6 penalties a game for 50-60 yards to a team that is full of thugs to the tune of 14 penalties for 150+ yard vs the Raiders and 11 for 110+ vs the Bills? I smell smoke and where you smell smoke, you will usually find a fire.

:plus1::plus1: :yellowthumb: :clap::clap:

You have absolutely nailed it! Proof positive the Steelers are being targeted by the league. If it were only one officiating crew, I'd say it was a bad group of refs,but since it continues to occur I believe they have been lead to believe this is what Roger Goodell wants them to do. If he isn't saying 'penalize the Steelers' outright, his behavior is certainly leading them to believe that is what they are supposed to do.
:crossfingers:

chisteeler
12-02-2010, 11:42 PM
It's time for a Revolution! And the way to secure a victory in this revolt is to win the whole F**KIN" thing! This is the year and most appropriate time that Tomlin should be using the Unleash Hell remark! (In the locker room, of course). I know we all want the Black and Golden gates of the nation thrown open and to have relentless carnage spewed to the four corners of the NFL, burning a path to Jerry's house in Dallas. I'm getting pumped!

Farrior Fan
12-02-2010, 11:48 PM
NFL denies targeting Steelers

remember the surviving Nazis denied gassing Jews.....Just like WWII the bad guys will always lose

Zachintosh66
12-03-2010, 01:13 AM
NFL denies targeting Steelers

remember the surviving Nazis denied gassing Jews.....Just like WWII the bad guys will always lose

wow, really

i think were a little overboard now :lol:

LarryNJ
12-03-2010, 08:53 AM
wow, really

i think were a little overboard now :lol:
:lol: Just a little!

The Steelers fans now sound exactly like the Flyers fans have for years. The league is out to get us...they want the Pens to win the cup..Crosby gets special treatment..the refs call more on (insert many different names) because of his reputation...blah blah blah blah blah.

Most fans see things with colored glasses... all teams except for 6 have more penalties this year than last year, some including the Steelers, Eagles, Jets and others have significantly more than last year.

Is there a huge problem with the league and how the game is being played and called? YES.. Are they targeting the Steelers? No

Does Brady get the benefit because of who he is? Of course, but so did Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Michael Jordon, Mario, Gretzky, Nolan Ryan ect. The best of the best always have and probably always will get calls their way.

coldrolled
12-03-2010, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=nuclearchihuahuas;385353You have absolutely nailed it! Proof positive the Steelers are being targeted by the league. If it were only one officiating crew, I'd say it was a bad group of refs,but since it continues to occur I believe they have been lead to believe this is what Roger Goodell wants them to do. If he isn't saying 'penalize the Steelers' outright, his behavior is certainly leading them to believe that is what they are supposed to do.
:crossfingers:[/QUOTE]

did you watch any of the game last night.. it really looked like the refs turned a blind eye to the pass interference calls on the eagles Defense... they were knocking texans all over the place... it is almost like the league is forcing its own outcomes... especially on 3rd downs...

the game with the bills and ravens... 14 points in bad calls against the bills.. they won that game....

the league is choosing its top watched teams and popular talent.. they like flacco... they like vick, they like brady.. manning.. jets, giants(hit harder and break more qb's than the steelers.. are there any fines there)? look and see how many penalties these teams get called on them during a game. it is almost a conspiracy... especially big 3rd down plays....

Nolrog
12-03-2010, 09:06 AM
The players should just take over the nfl. Nuff said. Oh yeah, F/U Goodell and all your buddies.

They don't have to take over the NFL. They just need player appointed representatives on the punishment committee and appeals committtee (or whatever they are called) to ensure that things are fair and equitable (things like Harrision getting fined 75K for clean hits but then Seymour getting fined 25K for punching Ben and getting thrown out of the game and those two guys who fought this week geting fined 25K and not suspended are not equitable.)

--- Added 12/3/2010 at 07:06 AM ---

Not really. Many of those penalties were bogus (espeically the personal fouls). Take away those and the number and yardage goes way way down. For example, the DB hitting the receiver in the middle of the back and getting called for helmet to helmet.

steelersbabex25
12-03-2010, 03:41 PM
:lol: Just a little!

The Steelers fans now sound exactly like the Flyers fans have for years. The league is out to get us...they want the Pens to win the cup..Crosby gets special treatment..the refs call more on (insert many different names) because of his reputation...blah blah blah blah blah.

Most fans see things with colored glasses... all teams except for 6 have more penalties this year than last year, some including the Steelers, Eagles, Jets and others have significantly more than last year.

Is there a huge problem with the league and how the game is being played and called? YES.. Are they targeting the Steelers? No

Does Brady get the benefit because of who he is? Of course, but so did Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Michael Jordon, Mario, Gretzky, Nolan Ryan ect. The best of the best always have and probably always will get calls their way.

I don't think so.

I was watching the Texans vs. Eagles game last night, and there were tons of hits on Michael Vick just like the one Harrison had on Fitzpatrick. But no flags were thrown, and I can guarantee you nobody will be fined. The NFL may not be targeting the Steelers as a whole, but they're definitely targeting Harrison.

LarryNJ
12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
The NFL may not be targeting the Steelers as a whole, but they're definitely targeting Harrison.

I'll buy that but I don't think targeting is the correct word. There's nobody sitting around in an office saying let's get James Harrison, or let's keep the Steelers out of the playoffs.

Because of James reputation (doesn't matter if it's deserved or not) he has one. Do the refs watch him closer than some other players? Absolutely! Did you watch the video on NFL network where they had Johnson miked up before his fight? He was telling the refs watch number 31 he's doing ..... the refs response was "Oh we watch him" in a tone that meant we know he's a dirt bag and keep an eye on every move he makes.

The problem is no one knows the rules or how to enforce them. It's a cluster F that needs to be solved for sure. But it's not a conspiracy against everything black and gold.

Woodson_DownUnder
12-03-2010, 11:51 PM

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4923/rogergoodellthetruth.jpg