PDA

View Full Version : Ward lashes out at NFL hypocracy over safety

steelersbabex25
12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gVZ_D1quJ5FYD2xt7ReD3w7cAG3w?docId=CNG.b7f46 55178d3435c9a54db2e30817efb.801

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania — Saying the National Football League does not truly care about players or their safety, Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward blasted the league over a rules crackdown.
The 34-year-old Seoul-born son of a Korean mother has played in the NFL since the Steelers selected him in the 1998 NFL Draft and says the league is only making a safety push to help obtain an 18-game season in labor talks.
"The league doesn't care about us anyway," Ward said. "They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on?
"You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials. You don't want us to gamble, but then there are (NFL-backed lottery tickets)."
NFL officials have talked about expanding the regular season from 16 to 18 games per club in order to boost television and other revenue, although the idea must be approved in labor talks.
Negotiations are under way to replace the current deal, which expires next year after the Super Bowl.
Ward says there is great confusion among NFL players about what hits are legal and which are not since the NFL crackdown on dangerous hits, with Steelers linebacker James Harrison having been fined 125,000 dollars for four hits this season.
"We don't know what the league wants," Ward said. "If a quarterback gets hit within the play, you can't hit him in the helmet, you can't hit him in the knees. Where can you hit a quarterback? I keep seeing our quarterback getting hit all the time."
Ward, who helped the Steelers win NFL titles in 2006 and 2009 and was named the Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl 40 in 2006, said he thinks a team will lose a game because an official makes a mistaken call for fear of being disciplined by the NFL for not following the new safety crackdown.
"Somebody is going to lose a game because of it," Ward said. "It's going to be a huge play in a playoff game. Somebody's going to hit a quarterback or do something and the referee is going to be too scared to call it. So he's going to call it anyway so he can save his tail."
Harrison was fined on Tuesday for a hit that he said was the same as one that had not been punished earlier in the season.
The Steelers have seen Harrison fined frequently while quarterback Ben Roethlisberger appeared to have his right leg twisted after being tackled by Buffalo's Arthur Moats, who was not penalized even though "Big Ben" is in a walking boot to protect a sprained foot as a result of the play.
Ward warned that the Steelers were not changing how they played no matter what calls were made.
"We're going to keep playing the way we always have been playing," Ward said. "If they fine us, they fine us. It's football. It's always going to be a physical ball game."
Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs said the NFL looks more harshly at quarterback hits upon New England's Tom Brady or Peyton Manning of Indianapolis compared to those upon other signal callers.
"The league has their favorites, one being in Indy and one being with that team up north," Suggs said. "Besides those two, everybody is fair game.
"Carson Palmer (of Cincinnati) got his knee hurt in 2005, but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in the knee and all of a sudden there is rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines. It's just getting ridiculous."
Roethlisberger did not disagree with Suggs.
"He seems to know some things about the game of football," Roethlisberger said.

Along with this, Terrell Suggs also came out and said he felt that James Harrison was being targeted.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/12/james_harrison_hines_ward_terr.html

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison said there's nothing wrong with the way he plays football, in spite of the $125,000 in fines he has drawn this season from the NFL.

"I am not playing dirty. I am not doing anything outside the lines," Harrison said. I am sure if you ask 10 guys in the league, I am sure eight or nine of them are going to say that he's not a dirty player and he's a hard player and that's he's just getting a bad rep right now."

His teammate, Hines Ward, came to his defense, as did Troy Polamalu earlier. Ward said that it's "almost like you're guilty until proven innocent."

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, said he thinks Harrison is targeted. "Your guy over there, 92, I think he is red-flagged. The referees are kind of looking for him. Even if he breathes on a quarterback wrong, he might get a flag."

Harrison who has conferred about the NFL's crackdown on hits with Commissioner Roger Goodell, has been fined four times this season -- most recently $25,000 for a hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick -- for a total of $125,000.

All of them hit the nail on the head IMO. I agree with Ward in that the NFL doesn't care about the player safety, they care about making money and making a statement. Unfortunately, I this statement isn't the right one to make, and I don't know what it's going to take for them to realize that. Terrell Suggs even said that he things that Harrison is being fined unfairly. AN OPPONENT. Come on, an opponent is coming out and saying that he thinks they're always looking at Harrison. There's you're evidence right there.

"It's almost like you're innocent until proven guilty." Thats 100% right. It's like a backwards law system. It's :willybs:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
The NFL wants to put the focus on the games each week, but all they've done this year is put the focus on the officials and the penalties. If they would have waited to institute this policy in the offseason we wouldn't have this issue blown up as much as it is. They overreacted to a week or 2 of big hits and now everyone is paying for it.

KSSteelerfan
12-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I think that the league office has absolutely lost their flippin minds. The calls that have been made since they instituted the no helmet to helmet contact policy have been glaringly bad. Even the most novice NFL fan could call games better than this leagues joke of an officiating crew or crews. The calls made during the Oakland-Pittsburgh game are a prime example of that.

nuclearchihuahuas
12-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok--so the offense and the opposition are coming to the defense of Harrison. C'mon NFL get a CLUE!!!

LarryNJ
12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
The NFL wants to put the focus on the games each week, but all they've done this year is put the focus on the officials and the penalties. If they would have waited to institute this policy in the offseason we wouldn't have this issue blown up as much as it is. They overreacted to a week or 2 of big hits and now everyone is paying for it.

:plus1:

You're absolutely right. It's like an habitual liar too, they just keeping going deeper and deeper trying to cover themselves. The worst part is I don't think they have it in them to admit the mistake and move on. I'd guess that there's no end to it season.

That being said, I think he players using the 18 game schedule argument is just as bogus. I think it looks more and more like there will be a lockout next year.

Zachintosh66
12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
it bothers me the media doesnt pick up on this... me and my brother-in-law (cowboys fan) have been saying this every week...

"They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on?

"You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials.

You don't want us to gamble, but then there are (NFL-backed lottery tickets)."
NFL officials have talked about expanding the regular season from 16 to 18 games per club in order to boost television and other revenue, although the idea must be approved in labor talks.

"If a quarterback gets hit within the play, you can't hit him in the helmet, you can't hit him in the knees. Where can you hit a quarterback? I keep seeing our quarterback getting hit all the time."

steelersbabex25
12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
it bothers me the media doesnt pick up on this... me and my brother-in-law (cowboys fan) have been saying this every week...

Complete hypocracy. Totally agree. They say one thing and do another.

swhite56
12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
"The league has their favorites, one being in Indy and one being with that team up north," Suggs said. "Besides those two, everybody is fair game.
"Carson Palmer (of Cincinnati) got his knee hurt in 2005, but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in the knee and all of a sudden there is rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines. It's just getting ridiculous."
Roethlisberger did not disagree with Suggs.
"He seems to know some things about the game of football," Roethlisberger said.

I agree 100%. It is disgusting!

LatrobePA
12-01-2010, 11:44 PM
IMO this is getting out of control. Speaking out etc etc, and they have every right too.

But I said it B4 old man Rooney needs to get involved ASAP!!!

Steel Trap86
12-01-2010, 11:45 PM
"The league doesn't care about us anyway," Ward said. "They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on?
"You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials. You don't want us to gamble, but then there are (NFL-backed lottery tickets)."

"We don't know what the league wants," Ward said. "If a quarterback gets hit within the play, you can't hit him in the helmet, you can't hit him in the knees. Where can you hit a quarterback? I keep seeing our quarterback getting hit all the time."

"We're going to keep playing the way we always have been playing," Ward said. "If they fine us, they fine us. It's football. It's always going to be a physical ball game."

Love this

It's so good to see people speaking up against these rediculous set of rules the NFL has laid down on certain people. And they aren't just Steelers talking either

igor0190
12-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Watch the locker room video on www.Steelers.com

Harrison, Ward, Clark all interviewed

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Locker-Room---121---Harrison---Ward---Clark/44d9180d-ea42-4ab8-84e6-a3b96216f307

jnes1216
12-02-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm glad to see some more of the players speaking out especially from other teams. The collective grumblings may not help this year but may start to place the seed of doubt in the commish's ear on negiotiating a new contract. If more players communicate their misgivings then he may not have as much faith in getting a deal done. Googoodoll doesn't want to be the commish responsible for a lockout.

Dean Denton
12-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Ward is just going to get himself a big fat fine for speaking out. He is right though. At some point this is going to cost this team a game, and I think thats what the NFL wants. Its really making me not like football. The No Fun League is really what it has become. The only good thing about this is that London wont want this over there because it will be too soft for them. Unless the league lets these guys keep fighting....

steelersgal86
12-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Your guy over there, 92, I think he is red-flagged. The referees are kind of looking for him. Even if he breathes on a quarterback wrong, he might get a flag."

:duh: this is so clear!!!! I am glad Ward spoke out...more people need to start doing that..make them aware that everyone knows what is going on

SteelDad
12-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Way to go Hines! It was only a matter of time before he started in on this issue and he nailed it right on the head. Hines knows the way this league works and believe me he is far less concerned about getting fined than he is about his or some other team getting absolutely screwed by one of these agregious calls in the playoffs. He makes perfect sense in almost everything he says. Well done!:clap:

Rampage
12-02-2010, 11:47 AM
It's nice to see that Harrison is getting the support of teammates and fellow players in the NFL. If the hard hitting players don't stand up now, they'll be bred out of the league.

Lunchbucket
12-02-2010, 12:23 PM
It's nice to see that Harrison is getting the support of teammates and fellow players in the NFL. If the hard hitting players don't stand up now, they'll be bred out of the league.

Yes, the players from all teams need to be united in stating the truth,that truth is from now on ;the game that we all loved will soon be extinct.Violence has always been at the core of the game,it's like controling Boxing to only body shots and no flurry's consisting of more than 3 punches!! Who really wants to watch that? I feel the league could lose more fans than it gains.THE PLAYERS NEED TO HAVE EACH OTHERS BACKS, AND, TO HE** WITH KING ROGER !!!! .... Thanks for letting me vent.....:2cents:

Prosdo
12-02-2010, 12:33 PM
The players need to speak out. Hines is completely right. If Goodell is so concerned about safety then there is no way in hell they should expand the season. But more games equals more money. I remember another argument Goodell made concerning more games in Europe. He said something along the lines well if we have more games in the season then the season ticket holders won't lose any games. The dude is a snake and he needs to be fired.

lloydfan4life
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Way to go Hines, for speaking up! It's nice to see players from different teams starting to chime in as well! :yellowthumb:

:wtf: is it going to take to get a new Commish? The current one is hell bent on destroying the game we've all grown up loving.