PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of the HOF..it takes way too long !

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2006, 02:29 PM
IMO, 5 years out of the sport is WAY to long to be eligible to get into the HOF. I believe NHL players only have to wait 2 years. If you're good enough to get into the HOF in 5 years you're certainly good enough to get in after 2 years!

PITT23
08-12-2006, 03:01 PM
I dont know if I totally agree with that. I think that 5 years is a good measure to see if a players name and stats have withstood the test of a few years. It's not wayy too long but its not too short either.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2006, 03:06 PM
If the HOF is based on what you did as a player in accomplishing success, whether it be team or personal oriented goals or both it shouldn't matter how long the record stands because eventually it's gonna get broken anyways whether it's in 2 years or 5 years or 100 years. Being out of the game for 5 years doesn't make what you accomplished 5 years ago any less credible for its time IMO...then again that's probably why I'll never be on the HOF election committee :lol:

PITT23
08-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Right but say a guy's final season is just amazing. If it was his only season like that and the rest were just average that after a year or two people might think he's better than he is. If you give more than a few years to look back on the career of guys like this than youre more likely to see the full spectrum of his career.

Also, take a look at baseball. If it had been a 2 year limit, Mark McGwire would have certainly made it. Now, almost 5 years later, steroid questions have come up and he might not make it. I know there hasnt been much steroid talk in the NFL but it's bound to happen and this situation could become realistic in football as well as it is in baseball.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Good points :yesnod: If the HOF does their selection process right then they should be looking at the overall career of the player and not just the last year they played or even the last couple years. If a player is consistenty successfull year and year out and accomplishes great things then he should stand the test of time. Granted a 1 year wonder has no business in the HOF no matter how long they've played.

Just to piggyback on that, what was awesome during a players era may not be as awesome 5, 10, 20, years later but if you're judged on what you did during you're era and how you played in the length of time you were eligible that should be enough to get you in I would think :dunno: