PDA

View Full Version : Why are we not throwing deep to Wallace anymore...

Troyisabeast_43
11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
I just cant believe with as fast as Wallace is and his playmaking ability to stretch the defense and out run every single defender in the secondary that the Steelers dont have at least 4-5 plays a game when they are near midfield where they take a shot on go deep for Wallace. We have not seen any of this over the last month or so and it's ridiculous. Arians had better get his head out of his *** this week and get more creative and take some more chances in the passing game. Playing conservative and doing little bubble screens and stupid **** like that will not get it done against this Ravens defense. In my opinion, this is Bruce Arians last chance for him to redeem himself and save his job as the Steelers offensive coordinator this week against the Ravens. Get more creative this week Bruce,go no huddle,spread the weak Ravens secondary out, take more chances deep with Wallace. Doing all of these things will open up the run game for Mendy when the time is right. Simply lining up this week and trying to pound and run on fi1st and 2nd down and then throw on 3rd and long is just not going to get it done this week. Time to man up Arians and start showing some balls and put the ball in the hands of your best player and let him win the game in Ben Roethlisberger.

Scorp
11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Fresh tactics buddy. We gotta try different things in our run twards the playoffs. We gotta be ready for every team....I mean really ready.

Rampage
11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Bruce Arians not using something that works? My mind. It has been blown.

Goodfrom55
11-29-2010, 07:53 PM
It's always a threat, even if not completed. Was attampted against the Raiders and was also attempted vs the Bills, but honestly, Ben didn't have a lot of time to throw the ball. Thankfully, the Steelers emphasized running the ball. However, taking those deep shots prevented the Bills from crowding the box, thus opening up the running game.

LatrobePA
11-29-2010, 08:50 PM
O line is crap, no time!!

Rampage
11-29-2010, 08:51 PM
O line is crap, no time!!

Yeah. Just wait for Sunday. Jonathan "Swinging Gate" Scott and Kemoeatu might break the record for holds in a game.

K Train
11-29-2010, 09:37 PM
dude it was the first game they didnt go deep to him because it was literally covered every time, otherwise they always do. thats why ward had over 100 yards

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Wallace had over 100 yds last weekend and caught 2 or 3 deep balls. They go deep to him several times a game. This time though he was covered like a blanket and wasn't able to get open. The Bills were determined to take away the deep ball so Hines had a big day underneath. Have to take what the defense gives you and sometimes the deep ball isn't there. We countered with the run game and intermediate passing game.

For once I'm impressed with the play calling, BA knew we had to run against the Bills and we did..LOL

Black@Gold Forever32
11-30-2010, 02:10 AM
The OL against the Bills was terrible and there was no time to go deep and if there would have been the deep completion to Wallace would have been called back due to holding........

The game plan was simple against the Bills pound the ball against their terrible run D and keep the Bills spread offense off the field.....Now it almost came to bite the Steelers in the *** and it left the Bills hang around to make a comeback........Again our defense can't hold a lead....lol But still I had no problem with the overall game plan against the Bills....My only question is I hope Tomlin/Arians don't run Mendenhall's wheels off like they did Parker in 2007......

35+ carries is alot to ask from one single RB......Plus when you factor in just the week before they still were pounding Mendenhall late in the game in a blow out against the Raiders........Keep the man fresh since we're going to need him come play-offs......Mendenhall goes down or gets wore out then there isn't much behind him.....I like Redman in his short yardage role but I can't see him carrying a load like Rashard Mendenhall......

JensK
11-30-2010, 03:40 AM
O-line plus a pretty darn good Bills secondary.

ctsteelah
11-30-2010, 05:45 AM
With the deep threat always being there I am surprised Ben does not practice with Wallace on the quick out. You know there is a huge cusion for this guy. Just seems like we are leaving yardage on the table when we dont take advantage of this.

I only see a small portion on the TV so maybe a LB drops back to cut this off but I doubt it.

coldrolled
11-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Fresh tactics buddy. We gotta try different things in our run twards the playoffs. We gotta be ready for every team....I mean really ready.

Funny. Like the way the Pats play the game in game out.. They dare you to stop them.

Thats the tactic the pats use.. If you cant stop us, you will continue to see the same play in slightly different formations....

You think Arians is saving up 100 of our best plays for the playoff games?? :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2010, 08:11 AM
O-line plus a pretty darn good Bills secondary.

Agreed, the Bills pass defense ranked 6th in the NFL I believe. Of course their run defense was almost dead last so it's a no brainer to go after them with the run. Had our line been able to handle the pass rush better we might have been able to go after them alittle more down field. We had our chances to get up by more than 13 points and we couldn't capitalize. It should have been 21-0 at HT.

harpo
11-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Cover 2 deep zone or Cover 3 deep zone. That's why. :yellowthumb:

Ben is not going to force it into coverage, which is why you saw him go to his next option(s).

DIESELMAN
11-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Our offenses problem is we can put our foot on another teams neck, but we don't break it when we have a chance. All that running we did, should have opened up a lot of play action. BA can't spell play action let alone put it in the game plan. We get a slight lead in a game with the running game being very effective and we immediately go to our BS spread offense, knowing our OL is banged up and couldn't stop 2 squashed flies. Result=sack, incomplete, sack, punt. WTF!!!!

LatrobePA
11-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Also, Wallace was the decoy all day..

coldrolled
11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Our offenses problem is we can put our foot on another teams neck, but we don't break it when we have a chance. All that running we did, should have opened up a lot of play action. BA can't spell play action let alone put it in the game plan. We get a slight lead in a game with the running game being very effective and we immediately go to our BS spread offense, knowing our OL is banged up and couldn't stop 2 squashed flies. Result=sack, incomplete, sack, punt. WTF!!!!

:plus1: We do this every game... It is really frustrating watching the offense.

We need to play the game to help our OL. Just common sense... I guess thats the problem.. there is no common sense designing the offense. no other real explanation.

SteelDad
11-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Funny. Like the way the Pats play the game in game out.. They dare you to stop them.

Thats the tactic the pats use.. If you cant stop us, you will continue to see the same play in slightly different formations....

You think Arians is saving up 100 of our best plays for the playoff games?? :lol:

Yup. Good points. And if it were me, I'd come out doing the same thing the Pats do on Sunday. Dink and dunk 'em to death.

steelersbabex25
11-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Why do they never throw quick slants to Wallace? It's either a deep ball or no ball. I wish they would let him utilize his speed a little more.

harpo
11-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Why do they never throw quick slants to Wallace? It's either a deep ball or no ball. I wish they would let him utilize his speed a little more.

I hear you on that.

A good offensive coordinator would do that. It's just that in Pittsburgh, there's no such thing as a good offensive coordinator.

Scorp
11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I thought the title of this thread said, "Why are we not deep throating wallace anymore?"..:hehheh:

Rampage
11-30-2010, 08:17 PM

Because he is too fast. Bruce Arians doesn't want to play with too much of an advantage; it's not fair for the other team.