PDA

View Full Version : Like it or not, Harrison & the defense are going to have to adjust to the NFL

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm the first one in line to defend Harrison on the bogus flags and fines, and the holding against him that never gets called. Trust me, I'm not defending the NFL here because I think what they are doing to the game is bogus and unnecessary. The game has been this way for decades, and now to change it mid stream was the dumbest move ever by a power hungry commissioner. The problem here is that the NFL did indeed change the way they call the game, mid season, and it's going to be all out of whack for the rest of the 2010 campaign. Things will get get sorted out over the offseason, the NFL has a lot of work to do to clarify what actually is a defenseless player. Also how to teach these officials to not throw the flag just because.

Like it not though, it's not going to go away. Harrison is going to have to find a way to adjust his game, as is the entire defense. You can't keep breaking the rules, no matter how stupid they are, and then throw a fit about it and complain when you get fined. Like I said, I think it stinks, but the NFL isn't going to change their stance now on hits so teams are going to have to alter their style of play somehow. The players will need to find a way to still play hard but steer clear of the flags. Sometimes you can't help it, as is the case with many of the flags & fines, because the officials now are of the mindset of toss the flag if they think it might be a foul. It ain't pretty, but it is what it is now.

steelersbabex25
11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
You can't keep breaking the rules, no matter how stupid they are, and then throw a fit about it and complain when you get fined.

That's just it though. I truly believe that most of the time when he gets fined, he isn't breaking any rules.

JensK
11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I totally agree TG! You can like the rules or not, but as long as they are in use, you have to respect them. Especially about leading with the helmet, and that rule have even been in place for some time.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
But the fact is, he is going to have to adjust his play. The NFL isn't going to back down so by him playing the way he always does, he is going to continue to get flagged and fined. Whether or not we think he is breaking the rules, the officials are now so scared to not throw the flag that they are going to more often that not. I understand where he is coming from, he's a passionate football player who plays the game how it is supposed to be played. The fact is that the NFL doesn't want it played that way, they want skirts on the QB's and WR's, and they want to make themselves look like the Non Impact league now.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I think Mike Tomlin's obvious disdain for that call when asked what he thought at the press conference sums up my disgust too. If the NFL wants to make the change, they should just throw the flag and call it good. There should not be fines or suspensions in addition to giving the opposition a first down. The fact that we could lose Harrison next week in a division game over this BS is disheartening and disgusting.

steelersbabex25
11-28-2010, 08:13 PM
But the fact is, he is going to have to adjust his play. The NFL isn't going to back down so by him playing the way he always does, he is going to continue to get flagged and fined. Whether or not we think he is breaking the rules, the officials are now so scared to not throw the flag that they are going to more often that not. I understand where he is coming from, he's a passionate football player who plays the game how it is supposed to be played. The fact is that the NFL doesn't want it played that way, they want skirts on the QB's and WR's, and they want to make themselves look like the Non Impact league now.

He plays the way he always has, he gets fined or flagged. He alters his play, he's ineffective. It's a lose lose situation. He can't win.

LatrobePA
11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I agree...****ing league taking away my Steelers D!!

JensK
11-28-2010, 08:22 PM
When Ryan Clark was flagged last week against the Oakland Raiders, it was because he launched, with his helmet first, into the back of the player. which is not legal, and have not been legal for a period of time. Most Steelers fans needs to distinguish between the helmet to helmet fines and Penalties where there have been launching with the helmet first.

There is no doubt that the helmet to helmet hits are serious, and it is great that the NFL have been focusing on them, but the fines are unheard of. It is not solely the defenders fault when those things happen, as there are various things which happens in order for the collusion to happen:

1. The defender gets ready to tackle
2. The ball carrier / catcher gets ready to make a football move and then sees a person close in fast on you. Unless your Seymour, your first reaction will be to crumple a little bit. If the defender already started to tackle towards the stomach area, it does not take a lot of crumpling before the helmets collide.
3. The Carrier / receiver can easily have been tackled beforehand by another player, which would have caused him to change position.

A question that NEEDS to be made here is, does an offensive player get fined if it is obvious that the given player takes a certain amount of blame for the hit?

With this being said, there is not way this justifies the launching which players have been doing this season. Not just Steelers players, but players all over the NFL. The rule is not new, and it riddles me that most players are unable to make a simple tackle, where you wrap up the player. Same thing goes with a shoulder tackle. It is football basics, and a lot of players are forgetting about it.

Zachintosh66
11-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Glad to see Troy actually acting like a saftey!

Blazedby92
11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Glad to see Troy actually acting like a saftey!

Glad I'm not the only one to notice.:plus1:

Dean Denton
11-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I dont think anyone knows how to do that because most of Harrisons hits are not dirty. The league is making them dirty. I have no clue what Harrison can do shy of just pulling the QB's pants down. Harrison gets flagged for NOT leading with the helmet, he gets flagged for landing on someone even when he puts his hands down to break the fall. The league needs to show Harrison how they want him to tackle because I'm telling you his coaches dont even know. If he just pushes them down he will get flagged for unsportaman like conduct. I dont think there is anything that he can be done except for Harrison to hang it up or stop rushing the passer.....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2010, 12:04 AM
You're right, Harrison is not a dirty player. He never has been and never will be. There are not dirty players on this team. The NFL wants to make their league a less impactful, less violent, league, that much is abundantly clear. Harrison and the other big hitters are going to have to change how they play the game. No matter how much Tomlin wants to deny it, or the players want to complain they will have too if they want to stay away from the fines. They can't stop every one, sometimes the officials will just throw the flag because that's what they do. They will need to at some point adapt to the new NFL, as sad as that is.

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2010, 01:48 AM
I think we should sit Harrison down. It may be the only way to get the league to stop targeting us. The league doesn't want Harrison in the league anymore. It's obvious to me and everyone else. You can't make fundamental changes to the game in the middle of the season on players. It isn't right or fair.

But Goodall did just that. So let's just bring Harrison in on obvious passing downs and slowly phase him out. Because the league doesn't want him in the game anymore.

Steel Trap86
11-29-2010, 01:58 AM
I think we should sit Harrison down. It may be the only way to get the league to stop targeting us. The league doesn't want Harrison in the league anymore. It's obvious to me and everyone else. You can't make fundamental changes to the game in the middle of the season on players. It isn't right or fair.

But Goodall did just that. So let's just bring Harrison in on obvious passing downs and slowly phase him out. Because the league doesn't want him in the game anymore.

lol :eyecrazy: sit Harrisson down before the nastiest game of the season....you're kidding right?

chisteeler
11-29-2010, 02:54 AM
I say, just keep hitting hard and often! Screw the NY offices. These men are exactly that, grown men. Goodell want a pansies league? Well, I say not by the sacrifice of the Steelers . Tomlin can just keep kiss my ***!

xxxsteelernation
11-29-2010, 03:18 AM
When Ryan Clark was flagged last week against the Oakland Raiders, it was because he launched, with his helmet first, into the back of the player. which is not legal, and have not been legal for a period of time. Most Steelers fans needs to distinguish between the helmet to helmet fines and Penalties where there have been launching with the helmet first.

There is no doubt that the helmet to helmet hits are serious, and it is great that the NFL have been focusing on them, but the fines are unheard of. It is not solely the defenders fault when those things happen, as there are various things which happens in order for the collusion to happen:

1. The defender gets ready to tackle
2. The ball carrier / catcher gets ready to make a football move and then sees a person close in fast on you. Unless your Seymour, your first reaction will be to crumple a little bit. If the defender already started to tackle towards the stomach area, it does not take a lot of crumpling before the helmets collide.
3. The Carrier / receiver can easily have been tackled beforehand by another player, which would have caused him to change position.

A question that NEEDS to be made here is, does an offensive player get fined if it is obvious that the given player takes a certain amount of blame for the hit?

With this being said, there is not way this justifies the launching which players have been doing this season. Not just Steelers players, but players all over the NFL. The rule is not new, and it riddles me that most players are unable to make a simple tackle, where you wrap up the player. Same thing goes with a shoulder tackle. It is football basics, and a lot of players are forgetting about it.

the problem with this is that part of the game is making a reciver afraid to catch the ball. intimidation of that fact that he is going to feel pain is part of the game. the problem i have and mark sclereth or how ever his name is spelled from espn brought this point up. the players know this is a violent game, they signed on knowin this is a violent game. injuries happen, concussions happen it's unavoidable, goodell wont be happy unless pass rushers just have to touch the qb for it to be down, and i think the biggest problem now is you have recivers ducking when they get hit just to get the flag.

Dean Denton
11-29-2010, 03:22 AM
You're right, Harrison is not a dirty player. He never has been and never will be. There are not dirty players on this team. The NFL wants to make their league a less impactful, less violent, league, that much is abundantly clear. Harrison and the other big hitters are going to have to change how they play the game. No matter how much Tomlin wants to deny it, or the players want to complain they will have too if they want to stay away from the fines. They can't stop every one, sometimes the officials will just throw the flag because that's what they do. They will need to at some point adapt to the new NFL, as sad as that is. I know and I agree with you, but what is it they want from him? They need to show him on film what they want from him. To tell you the truth, I have no clue as to whats clean. It seems like the rules are different for him, then for everyone else. look at the hits Ben takes frm Bart Scott, and tell me Harrison is hitting harder then that...

xxxsteelernation
11-29-2010, 03:24 AM
and tomlin needs to stand up for his players instead of playing the pulic relations game,
he and the rooney's need to publicly call goodell out. if art was still around i gurantee he would have his foot so far up goodell, *bleep*that goodell would be walking peg legged for the rest of his life

SteelersWoman
11-29-2010, 05:00 AM
I dont think anyone knows how to do that because most of Harrisons hits are not dirty. The league is making them dirty. I have no clue what Harrison can do shy of just pulling the QB's pants down. Harrison gets flagged for NOT leading with the helmet, he gets flagged for landing on someone even when he puts his hands down to break the fall. The league needs to show Harrison how they want him to tackle because I'm telling you his coaches dont even know. If he just pushes them down he will get flagged for unsportaman like conduct. I dont think there is anything that he can be done except for Harrison to hang it up or stop rushing the passer.....

Here, here! Well said!! :clap:
Yep, I downloaded that hit on the Raiders QB and watched it several times. NO WAY James coulda done that one any better--didn't lead with helmet, didn't roll up on his ankles, and didn't lay out on top of him to drive him into the ground (at least that's what OUR eyes showed us--the refs tend to see things differently ;) )

SteelDad
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Right now, I disagree. From the start of training camp, every team in the NFL not only spends hours evaluating players, installing its' playbook and getting ready for the season, but they also go to great lengths to educate their players about new rules, policies and procedures for the coming season. It is difficult enough to expect players who have been playing the game a certain way for 20+ years to suddenly change their approach, but now Goodell just 'expects' these men to also adapt to his new policies concerning illegal hits. Go ahead and make these changes and apply them to the following season and I will make no argument other than the obvious which I have argued at will which is to let these guys play the damn game! Tackling is as much a part of the game of football as catching a fly ball is in baseball. So if Bud Selig says in mid-July next season that all pop-ups and fly-balls must be caught using two hands or the fielder is fined you mean to tell me people won't go nuts?

Goodell's idea of the NFL blows and I agree we need to adjust, but we should be forced to adjust at a fair time not when Adolf, errrrrrr, Roger says so.