PDA

View Full Version : Is Woodley Worthy of a New Contract?

SteelDad
11-28-2010, 06:08 PM
For a guy supposedly playing for a big, new contract, I'm not seeing a whole lot.

Thoughts?

JensK
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I love Woodley, but it is rather hard to keep defending him. He is being a nonfactor for most of the game. Obviously, Hood is not helping him a whole lot, but an elite LB is supposed to make plays despite those things... Not demanding same production as Harrison, just something.

Rampage
11-28-2010, 06:11 PM
His play does not warrant a massive contract. I would definitely like to see him back, but I could understand if the team did not try too hard to keep him.

steelersbabex25
11-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Huh :scratch:? He wasn't a huge factor today but he's awesome. No way they don't extend his contract.

LatrobePA
11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
I say NO...But we'll see!

DanRooney
11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Woodley better take a Harrison-like hometown extension if he wants to stay. He's absolutely not worth it. I thought he was supposed to explode in the 2nd half of the season?

As far as I see, we have 1 pass rushing LBer and his name is James Harrison. Yeah Farrior gets his occasional unblocked (dong) sack, but there's not pressure outside of 92.

JensK
11-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Huh :scratch:? He wasn't a huge factor today but he's awesome. No way they don't extend his contract.

Well, last year he had 13.5 sacks and 50 tackles, and so far he have 6.5 sacks with rather terrible 21 tackles, and they haven't even played him in coverage as much this year. 21 tackles, where 6.5 of them are sacks is just not productive enough when your playing OLB in our scheme, and Woodley knows it. You can see him being utterly frustrated on the field whenever he misses a tackle. I love Woodley, and I would really like him to get another contract, but he is not playing at the same level as the last two years...

Just to compare, Harrison have 9 sacks and 51 tackles so far. That is over twice as many tackles. Nevermind the sacks - they are not THAT important as long as you get plenty of pressure, but where I think Woodley is failing this year is against the run and in coverage.

steelersbabex25
11-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Woodley better take a Harrison-like hometown extension if he wants to stay. He's absolutely not worth it. I thought he was supposed to explode in the 2nd half of the season?

As far as I see, we have 1 pass rushing LBer and his name is James Harrison. Yeah Farrior gets his occasional unblocked (dong) sack, but there's not pressure outside of 92.

Timmons is unreal, Woodley is awesome, Farrior is the leader on defense. IMO if you're the Steelers you do whatever you can to keep those 4 together.

--- Added 11/28/2010 at 05:25 PM ---

Just to compare, Harrison have 9 sacks and 51 tackles so far. That is over twice as many tackles. Nevermind the sacks - they are not THAT important as long as you get plenty of pressure, but where I think Woodley is failing this year is against the run and in coverage.

Well, if I had it my way the linebackers would be playing very little coverage to begin with. They're all dropping back way too much the way I see it.

playboy pryor
11-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Its a 50% percent chance we sign him. I would 2 see Woodley back with the steelers. Something tells me this is his last year!!! I like to give a shout out to Stevie Johnson for the dropped TD in OT. Whew!!!!

JensK
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Timmons is unreal, Woodley is awesome, Farrior is the leader on defense. IMO if you're the Steelers you do whatever you can to keep those 4 together.

Well, if I had it my way the linebackers would be playing very little coverage to begin with. They're all dropping back way too much the way I see it.

I partly agree. I think they are going at it the wrong way at least. The way we play with a cushion with our DBs, we need our LBs to drop back in those zones, or else the slant will be, if possible, more deadlier against us that it is now :eek1:

Big T
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM
He's streaky. He also plays his best when we need it most, the playoffs. Let's see what happens. Plus he was being held all day today. It was getting ridiculous.

LatrobePA
11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
He's streaky. He also plays his best when we need it most, the playoffs. Let's see what happens. Plus he was being held all day today. It was getting ridiculous.

Yes he was, much worse than what Kemo was getting flagged for...

SteelDad
11-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I can point to a couple of excuses for him being that he isn't being helped by Hood or Eason as much as Keisel or Smith would be and I can also say that he does get double-teamed a lot too. With that said, he still has to make plays and does at times, but does he do enough to warrant the money he's going to be asking for? No, IMO. Furthermore, why is Worilds not seeing the field? Is he that bad against the run? I honestly do not understand why he isn't given a few snaps per game.

JensK
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
No, IMO. Furthermore, why is Worilds not seeing the field? Is he that bad against the run? I honestly do not understand why he isn't given a few snaps per game.

He is a rookie, and everyone knows that our rookies don't get to see the field, especially on the defense. He also have some questions about him being able to stop the run. I could easily see Worilds having the same learning curve as Timmons. Have to bulk up some without loosing too much speed, and learning the system better. Still can't believe they cut Gibson :(

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2010, 07:07 PM
He absolutely deserves a new contract, you don't just let a guy of his caliber go. Last year he was awesome, 13.5 sacks. Now this year he still makes plays but just not as many, he is a bit streaky. Both he and Harrison get double teamed, but I guarantee you there is nobody else on this roster than can play OLB as good as he can for us. There is ZERO doubt that you must resign him.

DanRooney
11-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Timmons is the most valuable linebacker on our team. But he has a role that doesn't allow him to rush the passer much. Woodley, on the other hand, is rushing on nearly every play and isn't getting to the QB. He hasn't done jack **** all year.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I love the guy for all he's done in the past too; but this year hasn't been his best. Its always the most recent year's play that garners a big contract. Unfortunately, I don't see that for him right now.

steelersbabex25
11-28-2010, 07:35 PM
You just can't get rid of a guy like Woodley, who has done so much for the Steelers and has had such a great impact, because he's had a few off games and hasn't produced AS MUCH as he has in the past. You all are giving up on him way too soon.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Last year we were all singing Wood's praises, he was a force all season. He will be a force for us in the future, it's imperative that the front office resign the guy if you ask me. Both he and Harrison benefit from each others presence on the field. There are a lot of factors that go into a players performance on any given week. Overall if they let Wood walk, they need their heads examined.

Zachintosh66
11-28-2010, 08:03 PM
at this point Woodley cant get out of a wet paper bag...

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2010, 12:57 AM
If we could keep him but not have to break the bank, then fine. But it wouldn't hurt to bring along Timmons and Worlds in a more major roles. We need to get younger at LB and on the lines.

Plus, I seriously want to consider letting Harrison go becuase the league is targeting him and us and it's obvious to me that the league isn't going to stop until they run him out the game.

K Train
11-29-2010, 01:06 AM
yes...hes not going to demand top dollar, i was worried the dumervil deal did us in for woodley, but no way he commands that price

xxxsteelernation
11-29-2010, 02:31 AM
we do not have arron smith out there now remember when smith is out there he warrants double teams, and woodley has one on one, now that ziggy is out there he is holding is own but only on one on one wich leaves wood to get double teamed, cant wait for diesel to get back in the line up. that will take some pressure of harrison getting double teamed as well. our back up de are just not good enough to warrant the attention smith and keisel do.

steelersbabex25
11-29-2010, 06:15 AM
If we could keep him but not have to break the bank, then fine. But it wouldn't hurt to bring along Timmons and Worlds in a more major roles. We need to get younger at LB and on the lines.

Plus, I seriously want to consider letting Harrison go becuase the league is targeting him and us and it's obvious to me that the league isn't going to stop until they run him out the game.

1. Woodley is only 26. That's pretty young if you ask me. The only old linebacker we have is Farrior. And Foote if you chose to include him.

2. You're absolutely out of your mind if you even think for a fraction of a second that they should let Harrison walk. I don't care how much he's fined or flag. He's one of the best pass rushers this league has seen in a long time.

steelchamp204
11-29-2010, 07:31 AM
No, def not. If harrison would leave at anytime. Woodley cant get it done.

ctsteelah
11-29-2010, 07:55 AM
we do not have arron smith out there now remember when smith is out there he warrants double teams, and woodley has one on one, now that ziggy is out there he is holding is own but only on one on one wich leaves wood to get double teamed, cant wait for diesel to get back in the line up. that will take some pressure of harrison getting double teamed as well. our back up de are just not good enough to warrant the attention smith and keisel do.

$$$ post

jpele
11-29-2010, 08:01 AM
I like Woodley and am disappointed in his play so far this year,but I don't think we see him back next year. I listened to an interview he gave last year and he seemed all about the money ,he may have been mad because he wasn't extended but showed no team loyalty.

coldrolled
11-29-2010, 08:32 AM
I like Woodley and am disappointed in his play so far this year,but I don't think we see him back next year. I listened to an interview he gave last year and he seemed all about the money ,he may have been mad because he wasn't extended but showed no team loyalty.

pay him and play him...

LatrobePA
11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
It's time for Woodley to have a big game!! I can see him finally breaking out of his shell Sunday and getting some pressure....

igor0190
11-30-2010, 03:49 PM
To put his performance in perspective... I read somewhere that Woodley has the most sacks, 36.5 I think it was, in the first 4 years of ANY STEELER player in franchise history. I would imagine he will only get better.

He's not going anywhere. :crossfingers:

K Train
11-30-2010, 03:59 PM
honestly hes making **** right now....550k i think, colon got hurt and ****ed himself out of a new big money deal, i wouldnt play lights out either with absolutely no security.

i say he has a strong end/post season and gets paid and comes back and plays up to expectations

Jakey
12-01-2010, 05:24 AM
This thread is annoying me...

Woodley might not be showing up in the statistics that much, but these are a few of the reasons why he is still playing at a really high level...

1) He is getting consistant pressure, in spite of being doubled on most plays.
2) He is asked to drop into zone allot, and is improving in space.
3) He is a massive reason our run-d is no1 in the league, on most run plays he stuffs the TE and RT, keeps in his lane and keeps containment...even if he doesnt make the tackle he allows timmons/farrior/polamalu to run to the ball carrier. Most 3-4 OLBs would run themselves out of the play, the runner would run right past him...not Woodley.
4) When he does get to the QB, he never misses, very sure tackler.
5) He is a hard worker, doesnt moan despite getting paid pennies.
6) He is a team player, and a high motor guy.
7) He never gives up on a play, despite weighing about 270/280 he still chases the play untill its over.
8) He is a beast.

coldrolled
12-01-2010, 06:23 AM
honestly hes making **** right now....550k i think, colon got hurt and ****ed himself out of a new big money deal, i wouldnt play lights out either with absolutely no security.

i say he has a strong end/post season and gets paid and comes back and plays up to expectations

KTRAIN YOU NAILED IT NOW.. 550k a year. minus taxes puts him at 225k minus
fines like harrison at 125k; makes him 100k...

i guess he doesnt want to go home without a pay check.... Maybe goodell shut our OLB down.

SteelDad
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Woodley might not be showing up in the statistics that much, but these are a few of the reasons why he is still playing at a really high level...

3) He is a massive reason our run-d is no1 in the league, on most run plays he stuffs the TE and RT, keeps in his lane and keeps containment...even if he doesnt make the tackle he allows timmons/farrior/polamalu to run to the ball carrier. Most 3-4 OLBs would run themselves out of the play, the runner would run right past him...not Woodley.
7) He never gives up on a play, despite weighing about 270/280 he still chases the play untill its over.
8) He is a beast.

I didn't start the thread as a knock on Woodley necessarily, I started it because we are going to have a lot of needs the next few years and he will demand a big payday. I was just inquiring as to what we'd be willing to pony up.

Furthermore, anyone thought of Woodley moving to DE? This is what he played quite well at Michigan and with his size and strength it wouldn't be a reach. I realize we don't play rookies on D, but I still see no reason not to get Worilds a couple of plays in passing situations.

DanRooney
12-01-2010, 11:59 AM

8) He is a beast.

Myth. He's hardly ever doubled. Everyone is brought to Harrison's side. EVERYONE. Yet he still manages to blow by both. I can circle numerous times where Jason Woodley is playing pattycake with the RT.
True.
The Steelers scheme and our weakness against the pass is why our run D is number 1. Teams aren't even trying to run on us anymore. Timmons and Farrior are more of a reason why our run D is number 1 than Woodley's 3 tackle per game average
I would hope he could sure-tackle a quarterback being an oversized linebacker.
Pennies are going to turn into a ridiculous contract next year.
High motor? Reminds me of Ziggy Hood's "high motor."
Name 1 Steelers linebacker that gives up on plays.
8) He is a beast.
Not even half the beast that James Harrison is.

igor0190
12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
[/B]8) He is a beast.
Not even half the beast that James Harrison is.

Nobody in the NFL is the beast James Harrison is. James Harrison comparisons are unfair to anyone.

manofsteel
12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I dont think that he should get the huge contract he may be looking for. But I def think we should make it a point to keep him as long as we can. He is definatley one of the best LBs Ive seen in a while and to keep the core of them together should be done, but not at all costs. Lets also reming everyone that the season is not over. Ive seen him slump like this before ( his second year ). And Ill say when he wkes up its gonna be like waking the angry giant:cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Woodley is having a down year so far for this standards.......I agree but this guy has been money in big games for this team in the past (mainly the post season)......He has had two sacks in every post season game he has played which is four.......so 8 total play-off sacks.......

I wouldn't write off Woodley just yet and he will post double digit sacks again.......But I agree he has to pick up and started playing better no doubt.......But he always has been a streaky player throughout his career.......Still five weeks to go.....He will always be one of those guys were sacks come in bunches and then nothing for 5-6 weeks......

greg1964
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I hope the Steelers resign Woodley, but he hasn't have a very impactful year so far: BUT if he follows his pattern, the next five games he will play at a pro-bowl level.

jnes1216
12-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I like the guy, everyone has a down or average year. As a fan I was expecting a huge year from him since this is his contract year. He's gotten a little complacent on his one on ones but I still think he's a keeper. Tough to say if he plays hardball and goes after top money but I hope he doesn't.

Rampage
12-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I hope the Steelers resign Woodley, but he hasn't have a very impactful year so far: BUT if he follows his pattern, the next five games he will play at a pro-bowl level.

That's what I am looking forward to. Get this guy to the playoffs and he'll reward you. It seems like he gets hot at the right time.

cmerrifield
12-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Some of you guys are thinking about this all wrong. His less than stellar year is good for us, it will keep his contract demands lower. He is a good OLB having a sub par year, but look what happened to Jeff Reed, when you expect a contract and one doesnt come, it messes with you. DanRooney has been calling the FO to get rid of "Jason Woodley" or "Lamarr Gildong" for two years now, but the reality is in the salary cap era of football, not every player can be pro-bowl caliber. So, the question becomes is Woodley able to do what we need him to do for the salary he wants. We could not afford to pay 2 James Harrisons at OLB with everyone else. So as much as he is streaky and has weaknesses, I think we need to resign him and keep Woodley.

coldrolled
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
That's what I am looking forward to. Get this guy to the playoffs and he'll reward you. It seems like he gets hot at the right time.

sunday night is time...

Zachintosh66
12-02-2010, 02:35 PM
which lineup would be better

OLB - 92
ILB - 94
ILB - 51
OLB - 56

or

OLB - 92
ILB - 50 (grooming 55)
ILB - 51