PDA

View Full Version : Does Harrison get suspended now?

LatrobePA
11-28-2010, 06:03 PM
20 bucks says Harrison is suspended for the Ravens game....

edited your thread title so we don't get 50 Harrison threads. ;) BRC

LarryNJ
11-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I'll take that action. :) I'll send you my paypal address.

I don't see them suspending him, mainly because of the nice hockey game in Houston.

airbrake 1
11-28-2010, 06:07 PM
i suspect that may be the case

nuclearchihuahuas
11-28-2010, 06:08 PM
If the commish wants the ratbirds to win..they will suspend him. I guess we are about to find out the truth

LatrobePA
I'll take that action. :) I'll send you my paypal address.

I don't see them suspending him, mainly because of the nice hockey game in Houston.

Dunno man it's Goodell vs US!!

Yes that fight was pretty darn sweet!!

Speeed
Harrison is suspended for the Ravens game....

I see a 1.6 million dollar fine, banishment to a remote island, and a diet of only bread and water for three weeks. At minimum.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2010, 06:11 PM
They won't suspend him, but he will get a hefty fine I'm sure. Totally uncalled for once again. He hit the QB in the chest, what else are you supposed to do.

LarryNJ
11-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Dunno man

So are we on for $20? :greengrin:

K Train
11-28-2010, 06:14 PM
ill take that $20 bet.

it wasnt terrible at all, it was the refs jumping the gun on the flag

JensK
11-28-2010, 06:16 PM
No way he'll get suspended, but the Flag was kind of so-so... Harrison did lead with the top of the helmet which is not really allowed, but it is certainly only because its Harrison this will even get mentioned.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
ill take that $20 bet.

I agree. Just because Wilcots (who can't pronounce names correctly) thinks it was a foul and went into a monologue about him being a repeat offender doesn't make it so. I thought Harrison lined him up and hit him appropriately. If Fitz lowered his head to his chest, that's not Harrisons fault.

Steel Trap86
11-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't think he gets suspended, the NFL knows how big this game is shaping up to be and they want both teams at full potential. Taking Harrisson out would be bad for business. They'll rob him for 75 grand again this week and stick him back in there to set him up for another fine against the Ravens. Mission accomplished for the NFL

steelersbabex25
11-28-2010, 06:23 PM

That fight was awesome. But Andre Johnson is on my fantasy team :cursin:

jnes1216
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM
If Fitz lowered his head to his chest, that's not Harrisons fault.

According to the league it is. He gets fined for sure.

LatrobePA
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I agree the hit was legal, I never doubted that, I just have a feeling with Goodell's ties he'll be the first suspended under his new rule!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
He's not the only repeat offender, he's just the most publicized these days. Not having a guy like Harrison on the field would be huge, the NFL won't yank him going into such a huge game. His wallet will be lighter though, you can guarantee that.

JensK
11-28-2010, 07:01 PM
I agree the hit was legal, I never doubted that, I just have a feeling with Goodell's ties he'll be the first suspended under his new rule!!

I'd rather not be the jerk here, but the hit was not legal, period. A lot of people think to believe that the rules revolves around helmet to helmet hit, but in reality, the Penalty often is leading with the helmet first, which Harrison quite obviously did. He rammed into the QB with the helmet first, which haven't been legal for quite some time.

Quoted from NFL.com's rulebook site:

A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.

You can always start to argue whether or not it should be legal or not, but when the rules clearly state you cannot lead with the helmet, it is rather dumb to keep do it.

jpele
11-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Call me a homer but Harrison made a clean hit,just like last week James is being targeted.

SteelDad
11-28-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't think any of us should assume Harrison won't be suspended. Goodell likes to use us as his 'problem child' example. Big fine coming? Yup. but don't cross off suspension....

Rampage
11-28-2010, 07:10 PM
This stuff is bullshit, plain and simple. Notice that the officials already have flags in their hands in the ready-to-throw position before the ball is even snapped? May as well just tell this team that touching a QB is an automatic 15.

jnes1216
11-28-2010, 07:11 PM
As much as I hate to say it, and I repeat HATE. I thought Harrison led with the helmet. He could have crushed him with his shoulder pad just the same but probably would have been called for landing with his weight on the QB or some other thing.

JensK
11-28-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwS8Clfp2vM

There it is. I don't like the rule, but it is obvious that he leads with his helmet. He could EASILY have hit him with the shoulders or wrapped him up, or even freaking bodyslam him, but he led with the helmet, and you just can't do that.

--- Added 11/28/2010 at 05:12 PM ---

As much as I hate to say it, and I repeat HATE. I thought Harrison led with the helmet. He could have crushed him with his shoulder pad just the same but probably would have been called for landing with his weight on the QB or some other thing.

You beat me to it :lol:

ctsteelah
11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
It seems like his arms are short so when he tackles through the opponent it will always look like helmet to helmet in real time. So when the opponent ducks there will be a penalty all day on this. That really sucks

Zachintosh66
11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
honestly, wouldn't surprise me at this point if Harrison does get a suspension.

We'd be screwed b/c Woodley cant get out of a wet paper bag lately

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
You cannot suspend Harrison for a hit that happened in game, and justify only giving Seymour a 25K fine for a blatant punch after the play was over.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
You cannot suspend Harrison for a hit that happened in game, and justify only giving Seymour a 25K fine for a blatant punch after the play was over.

They can and I believe they will. Roger is trying to make his point loudly and clearly and I will be very surprised if they don't suspend Harrison for the Ratbird game. It sends the message nothing will save any player from suspension, not even an upcoming division game. We must accept that there has not been, nor will there apparently be this year, equality in the fines/suspensions or any other type of punishment the league can think of between the Steelers and any other player or team.

steelersbabex25
11-28-2010, 08:32 PM
They can and I believe they will. Roger is trying to make his point loudly and clearly and I will be very surprised if they don't suspend Harrison for the Ratbird game. It sends the message nothing will save any player from suspension, not even an upcoming division game. We must accept that there has not been, nor will there apparently be this year, equality in the fines/suspensions or any other type of punishment the league can think of between the Steelers and any other player or team.

They won't. It would be extremely hypocritical of the NFL and it would raise more eyebrows than are already being raised.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-28-2010, 08:43 PM
They won't. It would be extremely hypocritical of the NFL and it would raise more eyebrows than are already being raised.

LOL! They are total hypocrits! I hope everyone claiming no suspension is absolutely right. I am just saying I won't be surprised. Personally, I think Roger has been wetting his pants waiting for this moment. Hey, I also believe that in the next round of contracts, the Steelers should guarantee reimbursement for any fines/suspensions for this particular type of foul. They have to make the player pay it but should find some sort of back end money or some type of bonus to remimburse the amount penalized. Call it a "heavy hitter bonus" or so the league doesn't get upset, they could give a bonus for every tackle that doesn't result in a flag/fine/or suspension. That should make up for the amount the league is taking in these bogus fines.

LarryNJ
11-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey, I also believe that in the next round of contracts, the Steelers should guarantee reimbursement for any fines/suspensions for this particular type of foul. They have to make the player pay it but should find some sort of back end money or some type of bonus to remimburse the amount penalized. Call it a "heavy hitter bonus" or so the league doesn't get upset, they could give a bonus for every tackle that doesn't result in a flag/fine/or suspension. That should make up for the amount the league is taking in these bogus fines.

That's a great concept but one that I don't think is possible.

Steelerlyn
11-28-2010, 09:21 PM
They won't suspend him, but he will get a hefty fine I'm sure. Totally uncalled for once again. He hit the QB in the chest, what else are you supposed to do.

Seymour slapped Ben after the whistle and was ejected from the game, but only with a $25,000 fine. Many people around the league argued that Seymour, who punched Roethlisberger intentionally, should not have been fined less than Harrison, who unintentionally hit a player illegally.

http://www.pennmanor.net/pennpoints/?p=11676

I bet by next season if there is a season, they will have all fines, what you have to do to be suspended, etc layed out like they should have had prior to this season.

madtowndrunkard
11-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Harrison is being targeted.

That hit was clean. He put his face mask right in the guys chest. He hit him a fraction of a second after his released the ball.

The NFL just needs to come out and say it....they don't want QB's to be hit at all. Just say QB's are no longer allowed to be tackled. Pull his towel out or nicely lay him down or it's a flag.

A great example of the refs targeting us....the last sack we had on Fitzpatrick. They threw a flag then picked it up after they realized it was a sack. If the ball is not in the QB's hands when you hit him you will be flagged. It's BS. It's ruining the game. It's getting less enjoyable to watch. It's boring. There are so many friggen commercials to sit through...and now they are taking away one of the most exciting plays in football....the sack.

Farrior Fan
11-29-2010, 01:29 AM
watching that youtube link (thanks for posting!) if you go to 30 seconds and hit pause it is very clear that he hit him in the shoulder. If 92 gets suspended it would be a total travesty.

Silverback
11-29-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm livid over that call, it totally threw that game in favor of the bills. Absolute clean hit. I nearly popped some bills fan who thought Harrison should have been ejected.

Real Deal Steel
11-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Harrison is going to get suspended. The league has targeted him and are looking for any reason possible to suspend him and us that to send a message to other players around the league.

We might as well put in another LB in practice this week and not let Harrison play any more this season because the league is going to make him obsolete. And I'm serious in what I"m saying.

Silverback
11-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Well, on the bright side we'll find out how ready Worilds is.

Farrior Fan
11-29-2010, 01:53 AM
I haven't seen Worlids in a few weeks????

JensK
11-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Harrison is being targeted.

That hit was clean. He put his face mask right in the guys chest. He hit him a fraction of a second after his released the ball.

The NFL just needs to come out and say it....they don't want QB's to be hit at all. Just say QB's are no longer allowed to be tackled. Pull his towel out or nicely lay him down or it's a flag.

A great example of the refs targeting us....the last sack we had on Fitzpatrick. They threw a flag then picked it up after they realized it was a sack. If the ball is not in the QB's hands when you hit him you will be flagged. It's BS. It's ruining the game. It's getting less enjoyable to watch. It's boring. There are so many friggen commercials to sit through...and now they are taking away one of the most exciting plays in football....the sack.

Which, by rule, is a 15y Penalty

steelersbabex25
11-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Harrison is going to get suspended. The league has targeted him and are looking for any reason possible to suspend him and us that to send a message to other players around the league.

Dude, there's no chance he gets suspended. The league wouldn't dream of suspending him right before the biggest game of the season. They look at this, see he wasn't really leading with his helmet, and slap a $25,000 fine on there. No big deal.

chisteeler
11-29-2010, 10:01 AM
How can the league let a guy go from being the defensive MVP to the poster child for "hitting too hard?" Total hypocrisy!

jnes1216
11-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Which, by rule, is a 15y Penalty

Hitting someone with your facemask is not a penalty. Hitting with the top or crown of your helmet is. The rule is bent in favor of the QB when those hits occur. If he hits him with his facemask and he travels up the QB's body with momentum and the top of his helmet makes contact (it seems no matter how small nowadays) with the QB's head who is naturally ducking, then they call a penalty. This is wrong and only enforced because the owners don't want to pay top dollar for a qb sitting on the bench with an injury imo.

LatrobePA
11-29-2010, 11:21 AM
If another OLB for this team could get to the QB then some of the workload / eyes would be taken off James...Just my .02!!

Steel Trap86
11-29-2010, 11:23 AM
How can the league let a guy go from being the defensive MVP to the poster child for "hitting too hard?" Total hypocrisy!

:plus1:

Nolrog
11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
ill take that $20 bet.

Looked to me that the ref was reaching for the flag before the hit.

--- Added 11/29/2010 at 10:13 AM ---

The question I have is will he be fined more than 25K. I'll be pissed if he is.

Scorp
11-29-2010, 12:27 PM
LB James Harrison said he's not expecting a fine for his personal-foul hit on QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. "It's the same exact thing if you go back and look at the play from last week," he said. "I got the same flag (then), but I didn't get a fine."

75Steeler
11-29-2010, 12:39 PM
That was a B/S call by the refs. Harrison hit him hard and legal.

DIESELMAN
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Even the Bills OL called BS on that play. I hope the league fines him big time, not because he deserves it but to really **** off Silverback!! Something the Ratbirds do not want to happen!!

LatrobePA
11-29-2010, 03:12 PM
LB James Harrison said he's not expecting a fine for his personal-foul hit on QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. "It's the same exact thing if you go back and look at the play from last week," he said. "I got the same flag (then), but I didn't get a fine."

He should stop talking, now they'll go back to that one!!

Steel Trap86
11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Finnigan and Andre Johnson are only getting fined 25k and NOT getting suspended, so no way they go and suspend Harrisson tomorrow. It's ok to rip a guys helmet off his head and start throwing shots at him while he's down, or punch QB's from Pittsburgh in the neck.

steelersbabex25
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Finnigan and Andre Johnson are only getting fined 25k and NOT getting suspended, so no way they go and suspend Harrisson tomorrow. It's ok to rip a guys helmet off his head and start throwing shots at him while he's down, or punch QB's from Pittsburgh in the neck.

:plus1: I was just about to say the same thing. Looks like the league may be easing up a little. Harrison was fined $100000 in a matter of weeks, and he hasn't been fined at all since then. Between Seymour's only 25K, and Finnigan's and Johnson's only 25K, looks like maybe the NFL got our message. :knockonwood:

steelers40xl
11-29-2010, 09:24 PM
If you get a chance to look at the replay of the hit yesterday take notice of the referee he has his arm in motion throwing the flag before Harrison actually hits him.:banging: