PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2011 free agency

jpele
11-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Here a list of our FA's who do you keep and who do you let walk ?

Potential FAs:
OT Willie Colon (5), ......walk
QB Dennis Dixon (3),.....walk
DE Nick Eason (8), .......walk
OG Trai Essex (6),.........walk
ILB Keyaron Fox (7),.....keep
CB William Gay (4),.......walk
CB Tuff Harris (3),.........haven't seen enough to make a decision
OT Tony Hills (3),..........walk
NT Chris Hoke (10),.......depends on our draft plans
CB Anthony Madison (5),.walk
RB Mewelde Moore (7),...walk
OT Jonathan Scott (4),..keep
P Daniel Sepulveda (4),...keep depending on asking price
TE Matt Spaeth (4),.......walk
PK Shaun Suisham (5),....lets see how he works out
CB Ike Taylor (8),..........he's the best we have at corner,keep
LS Greg Warren (6),.......keep
OLB LaMarr Woodley (4)..depends on asking price,I thought he would have a better showing in a contract year.

The rest of the AFC North>>>HERE<<< (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20101126_2011_afc_north_free_agent_preview)

SnakeEyes43
11-27-2010, 01:46 PM
I would like to see Dixon as a back up here for a while, and I would say let Fox walk, he hasn't shown much this year, even on ST. Tuff has been injured most of the year so idk there, and Scott is starting to show his worth so he seems like a re-sign. Ike and Sep I would like to see back, and Woodley of course, but I have a feeling he might take big money else where. I hope not but I have a bad feeling about Wood going somewhere for the $$. Everything else I pretty much agree.

jnes1216
11-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Definitely keep Sepulveda and Madison, those two aren't going to break the bank. D Sep is a stud and Madison is key to spec team coverage.

I'd like to keep Colon, Fox and Eason as well. The last two have provided good depth.

I would let Moore walk, the others I am indifferent.

JensK
11-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Letting Colon go would be a big big mistake. We're really thin on quality linemen already, letting the second best one of the go would be amazingly dumb. He can't possible ask for top 5 money coming of an injury like that.

Mr. Goosemahn
12-06-2010, 05:00 AM

Potential FAs:
OLB LaMarr Woodley (4)..depends on asking price,I thought he would have a better showing in a contract year.

The rest of the AFC North>>>HERE<<< (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20101126_2011_afc_north_free_agent_preview)

Hey guys, first post here, I know KTrain from another forum, happy to join the community.

Here's my take on the upcoming season:

I say keep, we don't really have great OT depth while he might not be an elite tackle, he's solid. He's improved over the years, too. And with the big injury he suffered, his price tag will go down a bit.

I'd say keep. We've got our clear #1 in Ben and Leftwich will probably be the backup for a while, so Dixon as the #3 is more than fine by me. Plus, he likely won't command that much money anyways. Also, I think he's a RFA, which complicates things a bit more for him.

I say keep and then re-evaluate the situation after the draft. If we don't acquire better talent, either through the draft or free agency, then keep him for another year.

Agree. For starters, he doesn't really fit our scheme that well, I think he's a bit too finesse for us. He's battling not one but two guys for his starting job, which is not that good to hear. Those two guys also happen to be younger than him, and offer position versatility too (Legursky can play center and Foster can kick out to RT).

Agreed, good special teams player and good ILB depth.

If he wants big money, then get him out. If not, keep. Gay is inconsistent, but as a nickel corner he's not as bad as he was as a starter. And we don't really have much depth at CB anyway.

More than likely walk. I believe he was a training camp body and if we add any more DB talent (which I believe we will), he's gone.

Agree, he's done nothing in three years and he still doesn't even dress for games. Had a nice outing or two in pre-season, but that's it. I thought he'd be better than he ultimately wound up being.

Agree, but most likely keep. Isn't expensive, is underrated as Hampton's backup, and doesn't have as much wear-and-tear as Hampton does. Plus, rookie NT's rarely come in and play at a high level, so it'd be nice to have insurance in case we do draft a NT and Hampton gets injured.

He's a major keep for me, based solely on the fact that he's arguably our best special teams player. The last time we let him go, we suffered multiple return TD's (what was it, 6? can't remember exactly, lol). We brought him back after the Colts released him, and we didn't allow a return TD the rest of the season. We've allowed very few ever since.

At the beginning of the season I would have agreed with you, no questions asked. Now I'm a bit less sure if I want him gone. We've got Mendenhall already and Redman keeps improving, so Moore might soon find himself without a spot though. I think keep for training camp and see how Dwyer works out. If Dwyer progresses as coaches hope he does, then Moore is gone, if not, then keep Moore as the #3 back for another year.

Not a fan of him at all, but based on the limited depth we currently have at tackle, I'll hesitantly say agree. Suggs absolutely raped him today, it was painful to see.

Keep, Sepulveda is a pretty damn good punter. He's no Shane Lechler, but he makes good, long punts when they count, it's a shame he tore his ACL today. Plus, he's a better punter than what we'd get in FA (most likely).

Don't know if he's still a RFA, because if he is, I say keep him. If he's not, then yeah, walk. David Johnson is our FB and backup TE (had a pretty good game today considering the fact that he was just thrown into the fire after Heath went down). I'm really hoping the Pats let Alge Crumpler walk with Hernandez and Gronk developing, because he'd be a great fit for us.

Wasn't a big fan of the signing, but he's been money so far, and clutch too. Game winning kick in OT, and 4 40+ yard kicks to boot.

Agree. Aside from his hands of stone, Taylor is actually pretty good. He has lapses of concentration of time, but he's still pretty good. And, as you mentioned, we really don't have anyone else.

Agree. While LS might not be particularly hard to find, Warren is very reliable and LS don't ask for a lot of money.

Most definitely keep, but it will depend on the money he wants. I agree with you on the fact that he hasn't been as dominant as I expected him to be, but he hasn't been playing really bad, either. He'll likely get the money though, he's a key component of our defense and he's young.

SChip
12-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Keep, Sepulveda is a pretty damn good punter. He's no Shane Lechler, but he makes good, long punts when they count, it's a shame he tore his ACL today. Plus, he's a better punter than what we'd get in FA (most likely).

IMHO...this is a guy that I would dump faster than that nut case I took to the prom years ago. I'm not sure of his salary but as a 4th round selection, he makes more than the average punter and he hasn't really impressed anybody a whole helluva lot so far. That being said...the real kicker ( pun intended ) for him is the 3rd ACL injury. If we need to find a fill in punter for our regular punter every year then let's just go ahead and get a good reliable one and be done with it, just cut our loses and move on....and hey, maybe we can save a buck or two to put toward someone else .

NT93
12-31-2010, 01:34 AM

Potential FAs:

keep Colon for RG. This also has "starter" quality depth for Tackle - can't say enough about depth.

wait and about Dixon.

If they draft a good player, or get one, then I would let him go or be last on depth. Steelers like him though, so he will be back.

poor conditioning is his pink slip. He had potential, but he wasted it.

ST captain, so keep.

gone, better be.

can't comment

can't comment

I like Hoke, so if they can sign him for 2 years, that would be good. He is depth at NT and end, very valuable, not to mention he is solid. I always like it when he is out there.

keep if reasonable

If Tomlin is here, so will Moore. I like Moore, but Redman is better - simple. Redman picks up blitzes well and runs hard. Dwyer can take Redman's current spot.

Possibly keep Scott. Oline coach likes Scott, so he will be back. Mixed feelings about Scott, could be last on depth - can he play guard?

walk. he always gets hurt, and there have to be many punters out there close to as good. A kicker replacement during the season is not something I would like to do, and they have done it a few times with Daniel. Sorry.

keep if salary is decent if there is a cap

He has only missed 1 FG, and I think the hold was to blame - keep him!

Keep if reasonable. If he is offered top 5 salary and there is a cap, then it might be a tough decision. I don't like seeing players leave that have been solid, and he has been solid.

Keep, even at Harrison salary. If he plays the highest price game, he will be gone more than likely. A bummer, because he is solid. This would be a bummer, since grooming a player for this position takes a few years , then after training him, he's gone. It would be a shame, since him and Harrison are perfect.

Much of the above hinges on the draft. I think they should sign as as many as possible before the draft.

--- Added 12/30/2010 at 11:34 PM ---

[QUOTE=JensK;383233]Letting Colon go would be a big big mistake. We're really thin on quality linemen already, letting the second best one of the go would be amazingly dumb. He can't possible ask for top 5 money coming of an injury like that.

Colon will probably get a one year deal to see where he is at. The injury he got is serious, and he may not be close to what he was. It could be his application for a position at Guard, which he is more suited for. He would be perfect next to Flo - run right.

Farrior Fan
01-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Anyone who wants to keep Fox hasn't watched a Steelers game this year. When he isn't getting a costly penalty he is busy being irrelevent. I don't care if Farrior retires, dump Fox.

Ike- without him this year we are even worse at stopping the pass. If we let him go I will become a Patriots fan.

Hoke- gotta keep him. Casey is getting old and Hoke filled in and really played great when snack was out.

Memo - other than catching out of the backfield he does nothing well. Hell, I have good hands - sign me I can fall down when someone breathes hard on me.

Sushi - unless he misses 3 fgs in one game and loses it for us I say we keep him. I'll bet the guys are loving having a guy that they can count on again. Wish he could kick it deeper on kickoffs but I will settle for a guy than can put it through the uprights.

D Sep - Keep him. Yes we won a SB in spite of Mitch Berger. I just hate going to high school games and thinking "why can't we get that kid? he can kick better than the Steelers punter."

Trai - I say keep him, we need depth - that is the only real reason

Hills - he must suck because other than a few preseason things I never hear about him and he never plays on sundays

Greg Warren - do you want Silverback snapping again?

Colon- I'm still not sold on Willie - the guy was born offsides, but I swear everyone of the coaches love him so they must see something

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Dixon will be back in 2011. The team will need to decide how much longer they want to hold onto Batch. If Lefty wants to go elsewhere then Charlie will stick around as the 3rd QB behind Dixon.

coach
01-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Not sure how I feel about Woodley. I definitely want to see him stay. The difficulty I have with this is that he will get big money because he desrves it. He is a game- changer.
If we put all that money into a few players, we lack depth and have to live with a sub-par secondary and a O line that can't stop anyone.

I think the upcoming draft and these FA decisions will tell us a bit about how the team plans to build for the future. I love our rich tradition of great linebackers and stopping the run, but I would be quite happy to see the O line and secodary improve at the expense of status quo.

A few more points per game would take some pressure off the D and I think there is some truth to the oft quoted "the league is becoming a passing league." I am tired of watching teams dink and dunk us.

I think we will continue to be in the running for AFC North Division champs and/or wild card contender for years. We need to build to compete with Indy and NE in latter rounds of playoffs.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-03-2011, 07:17 PM
IMHO...this is a guy that I would dump faster than that nut case I took to the prom years ago. I'm not sure of his salary but as a 4th round selection, he makes more than the average punter and he hasn't really impressed anybody a whole helluva lot so far. That being said...the real kicker ( pun intended ) for him is the 3rd ACL injury. If we need to find a fill in punter for our regular punter every year then let's just go ahead and get a good reliable one and be done with it, just cut our loses and move on....and hey, maybe we can save a buck or two to put toward someone else .

I think you're not giving Sepulveda the credit he deserves. He's not an elite punter, but he's a pretty good one, much better than Berger, much better than Kapinos, and I'm retty sure he's better than almost all punters available in free agency. Allow me to show why:

For starters, Sepulveda doesn't earn that much. He signed a one year, $1.01 million dollar contract before this season started. That's probably the lowest salary for any starter on our team, except maybe Suisham.

Now, focusing in on stats and what they mean, here are the basic ones:

Average Yards per Punt: 45.5 (4th best in the league)
1. Shane Lechler, Oakland - 47
2. Mike Scifres, San Diego - 46.7
3. Brandon Fields, Miami - 46.2
4. Daniel Sepulveda, Pittsburgh - 45.5

Net Average Yards per Punt: 39.1 (tied for 4th best in the league)
1. Shane Lechler, Oakland -
2. Sam Kock, Baltimore -
2. Adam Podlesh, Jacksonville -
4. Brett Kern, Tennessee - 39.1
4. Daniel Sepulveda, Pittsburgh - 39.1

Furthermore, he had no punts blocked and no punts returned for a TD, which is both a testament to his ability and the rest of our ST unit.

Finally, return yards. This stat can be a little tricky to measure and evaluate, but IMO it shows one very important detail that other stats don't:

How well does the punt travel with our ST players.

Basically, a great punt has two components: distance and hangtime. If a punt travels a long distance, that's great, but it's useless if it had no hangtime. The more hangtime a punt has, the more time defenders have to get to the returner. If the defenders start closing in on the returner, a fair catch will be called. This is one area where I felt Sepulveda did a great job, and is shows in the stats:

Among punters with more than 50 punts (real punters, not QB's, K's, or other players who ocasionally punt), Sepulveda ranked 4th with 198 yards in 56 punts.
1. Adam Podlesh, Jacksonville - 123 yards in 57 punts
2. Kevin Huber, Cincinnati - 124 in 71 punts
3. Zoltan Mesko, New England - 179 in 58 punts
4. Daniel Sepulveda, Pittsburgh - 198 in 56 punts

Again, this stat is also a testament to our ST unit, but my theory that Sepulveda does a good job in balancing distance and hangtime is reinforced by the fact that Sepulveda is 4th in the league in fair catches. That is, Sepulveda is the 4th punter that causes most fair catches.
1. Steve Weatherford, New York Jets - 27 in 84 punts
2. Sam Koch, Baltimore - 22 in 81 punts
2. Pat McAfee, Indianapolis - 22 in 65 punts
4. Daniel Sepulveda, Pittsburgh - 21 in 56 punts

Finally, one stat that is also useful to have is touchbacks. Sometimes they are good, sometime they are bad, usually though, they are useful to prevent returns. For example, yesterday's game vs. the Browns. Every time we kicked off we used a squib kick to make sure that Cribbs was less likely to end up with the ball. It was extremely effective. Same thing with touchbacks. Make sure the returner doesn't get the ball.

- Sepulveda is third in the league in touchbacks with 8.
1. Dustin Colquitt, Kansas City - 10
2. Mike Scifres, San Diego - 9
3. Daniel Sepulveda, Pittsburgh - 8

So I ask you, do you really want to let Sepulveda walk? He's (statistically, at least) a top 5 punter in almost all the important categories, AND he's still young (26). Shane Lechler is 34, Mike Scifres is 30, Mat McBriar is 31, etc.

Sepulveda is a pretty darn good punter and I'm very happy we have him on the team. You guys should be happy to have him too. It's a shame he's having trouble with his ACL, but there is no way I would want him to leave without a clear, and better, replacement for him.

Oh, and btw, the stats come from NFL.com's NFL Stats by Player:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=0011&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PUNTING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PUNTING_AVERAGE_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

We need to get him!! Plain and simple. This guy,coupled with us adding more youth on the lines, coupled with that weak schedule,..would give us a great shot at another SB.

bensshoes
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM

We need to get him!! Plain and simple. This guy,coupled with us adding more youth on the lines, coupled with that weak schedule,..would give us a great shot at another SB.

agreed plus he's gonna be looking for a winner as he's made plenty of money thanks to Mr. Magoo "Al Davis"

DanRooney
01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Leftwich will be our backup next year.

I think I called it right 2 years ago when I said Dixon sucked ***.

--- Added 1/19/2011 at 05:28 PM ---

Potential FAs:
OT Willie Colon (5), ......keep (if Flozell retires)
OG Trai Essex (6),.........keep (he's better at LT than Scott)
CB William Gay (4),.......keep (Butler will take Madison's place, Gay will get a 2 year extension)
CB Tuff Harris (3),.........walk
OT Tony Hills (3),..........keep (Scott will be gone)
NT Chris Hoke (10),.......retire
RB Mewelde Moore (7),...walk (Dwyer's time to shine)
OT Jonathan Scott (4),..walk (he's been pulled in almost every single game)
P Daniel Sepulveda (4),...keep
OLB LaMarr Woodley (4).....depends on how much he wants

86WARD
01-19-2011, 09:58 PM

I'd give up that whole list for Nnamdi...lol.

uclkyle
07-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Potential FAs:
OT Willie Colon (5), ......walk I say keep, he's at least solid depth and won't get much attention from other teams.

QB Dennis Dixon (3),.....walk Dixon could go either way. I would actually try and keep. Batch is getting really old and Dixon at least knows the offense. Unless a team gives him with the farm, try and keep him.

DE Nick Eason (8), .......walk Doesn't really matter. If he's cheap, why not keep him.

OG Trai Essex (6),.........walk Try and keep him

ILB Keyaron Fox (7),.....keep Walk....will likely attrack some attention.

CB William Gay (4),.......walk Keep....nobody is going to offer him money. Why not keep him as a 3rd of 4th.

CB Tuff Harris (3),.........haven't seen enough to make a decision Agree, who knows.
OT Tony Hills (3),..........walk Keep...I like his potential and talent level.

NT Chris Hoke (10),.......depends on our draft plans Keep, he'll stay for cheap anyways

CB Anthony Madison (5),.walk agreed

RB Mewelde Moore (7),...walk definetly keep....he's a valuable third down back. You can never have enough experience in the backfield.

OT Jonathan Scott (4),..keep agreed
P Daniel Sepulveda (4),...keep DEF a walker.......he will never punt for us again.

TE Matt Spaeth (4),.......walk agreed

PK Shaun Suisham (5),....lets see how he works out i would keep him

CB Ike Taylor (8),..........he's the best we have at corner,keep This will purely depend on the price. I'm saying walk.

LS Greg Warren (6),.......keep Keep unless someone with fewer years and less expensive cap number comes along.

OLB LaMarr Woodley (4)..depends on asking price,I thought he would have a better showing in a contract year. I would try and keep him, more so than Ike.