PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin

jpele
11-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I know we moan and groan about Tomlin at times (at least I do ) but the players have a different take on Mike:

Tomlin according to Sports Illustrated, polls favorably among his peers. In a survey of almost 300 players, Tomlin finished second only to the Jets' Rex Ryan regarding the coach for which NFL players would most like to suit up. Tomlin garnered 12 percent of 279 votes compared to 21 percent for Ryan.>>>HERE<<< (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_710714.html)

LatrobePA
11-24-2010, 08:16 PM
IMO Tomlin showed true head coaching skills last week and game day...

He made changes and it helped this team win!!

steelersbabex25
11-24-2010, 08:16 PM
I just wish he would get mad every once in a while..

SnakeEyes43
11-24-2010, 08:32 PM

Actually if you go and watch the Gameday exclusive on Steelers.com, he gets a little fired up. He yells something about officiating won't decide the game in a defensive huddle.

steelersbabex25
11-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Actually if you go and watch the Gameday exclusive on Steelers.com, he gets a little fired up. He yells something about officiating won't decide the game in a defensive huddle.

I meant mad at the players.

jpele
11-24-2010, 10:15 PM

:plus1:

igor0190
11-24-2010, 11:10 PM
If someone gets mad all the time it starts to mean less and less... It's pro football, the players know when they do something wrong and all Tomlin has to do is give em an angry look.

People were throwing him under the bus last week after a bad game against the Pats. Tomlin is a great coach and I won't be convinced otherwise.

steelersbabex25
11-24-2010, 11:21 PM
If someone gets mad all the time it starts to mean less and less... It's pro football, the players know when they do something wrong and all Tomlin has to do is give em an angry look.

People were throwing him under the bus last week after a bad game against the Pats. Tomlin is a great coach and I won't be convinced otherwise.

You don't want a coach who never shows emotion. Period.

igor0190
11-24-2010, 11:37 PM
You don't want a coach who never shows emotion. Period.

No, but he shows the right kind of emotion when needed.
Flipping out and going crazy mad is never needed. You have to have some control or you'll never get your point across.

Steel Trap86
11-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Flipping out and going crazy mad is never needed. You have to have some control or you'll never get your point across.

lol tell that to parcells

but i agree i think tomlin is a good coach and you'll never hear me throwing him under the bus over a loss

steelersbabex25
11-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Really? The only time I've ever seen him showing emotion is when things are going well.

Scorp
11-25-2010, 10:14 AM
The guy is like wallpaper..it's hard to get a read on him.

SnakeEyes43
11-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Really? The only time I've ever seen him showing emotion is when things are going well.

He's not a Bill Cowher mannered type of guy. He's not going to yell, spit, and scream in players faces when things go bad or they screw up. That's not his thing. He has his own way to deal with situations (good or bad) and probably won't change much, it's who he is. And yes he does show emotion to the players, maybe not how some people may want, but watch any number of Mic'd up or behind the scenes exclusives and he is able to rally and motivate players regardless if they are doing good or if they screwed up.

Lunchbucket
11-25-2010, 10:56 AM
He's not Bill Cowher, get over it. He's not going to yell, spit, and scream in players faces when things go bad or they screw up. That's not his thing. He has his own way to deal with situations (good or bad) and probably won't change much, it's who he is. And yes he does show emotion to the players, maybe not how some people may want, but watch any number of Mic'd up or behind the scenes exclusives and he is able to rally and motivate players regardless if they are doing good or if they screwed up.

totally agree, Each coach has his own way of getting his point across. Alot of coaches have not shown a lot of emotion ,ranting and raving does not always produce winning.Examples;Tom Landry,Bud Grant,and Chuck Noll.

LarryNJ
11-25-2010, 11:16 AM
totally agree, Each coach has his own way of getting his point across. Alot of coaches have not shown a lot of emotion ,ranting and raving does not always produce winning.Examples;Tom Landry,Bud Grant,and Chuck Noll.

You forgot Bobby Knight! :lol:

Lunchbucket
11-25-2010, 11:21 AM
You forgot Bobby Knight! :lol:

whoa ! LOL how could I forget such a cool customer as Coach Knight ??? Thanks for reminding me. LOL:yellowthumb:

mos07
11-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I could listen to Tomlin read a phone book - he may not spit in your face like Cowher, but the guy oozes of intensity.....

Diamondhead
11-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Chuck Noll and Tom Landry come to mind when discussing stoic coaches who were successful. Maybe some are too young to remember, but back in the day coaches didn't act like Black Friday shoppers.

As long as Tomlin keeps Pittsburgh playing at a high level, I really don't care how he expresses himself. Honestly, the Cowher spitting and Gruden facial contortions get old really quick.