PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy Hood

harpo
11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Soooooo........

No threads about Ziggy Hood this week? :grin1:

He had the best game of his career and, unless I missed the thread or comments, I haven't read where anyone has given him credit for having a good game. :nono:

LatrobePA
11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
A+++ For running out to Bens rescue Hood...

That and he had a pretty good game from what I saw...

K Train
11-23-2010, 08:16 PM
the best game of his pro career? what statistically? 3 tackles among laying on the ground just as much as usual? yeah i guess thats progress

i saw the same ****** player, just a version that got a few tackles

harpo
11-23-2010, 08:18 PM
the best game of his pro career? what statistically? 3 tackles among laying on the ground just as much as usual? yeah i guess thats progress

i saw the same ****** player, just a version that got a few tackles

LOL......:lol:

That's progress, KTrain. He's coming around. :lol:

K Train
11-23-2010, 08:20 PM
sorry but hes not getting the kind of credit you want me to give in a blowout win where all he had to do is pin his ears back and go after the ball for the most part

harpo
11-23-2010, 08:23 PM
sorry but hes not getting the kind of credit you want me to give in a blowout win where all he had to do is pin his ears back and go after the ball for the most part

Well, to be honest, I knew you weren't going to give him any credit. I just wanted to see what you had to say about his performance :lol:

Steel Trap86
11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
He's making strides, but he's still failing to show any 1st round impact. Polamolu, Hampton, Faneca, Timmons, Mendenhall, Holmes, POUNCEY...these are some of our first round picks. Hood hasn't had much of an impact at all since he got here, but in his defense he is working hard and trying to make it happen, just hasn't yet.

SnakeEyes43
11-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Hood is certainly making progress, I'm not his biggest fan, but I hope the kid levels out for us.

LatrobePA
11-23-2010, 09:30 PM
I didn't see him flopping around on the ground, so I gave him his credit...

Goodfrom55
11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Guys, the Raiders had like 40 yards rushing. It won't show up in the stats, but that is a result of the D-lne doing their job - occupying blockers while the LB's clean up. Outside of getting juked out of his jock on a potential sack, I thought he played very well - Eason too.

DanRooney
11-23-2010, 10:14 PM

Sounds like Woodley the first half of last year and the entire season this year. Just take out the falling on the ground part and insert playing pattycake with right tackles.

coldrolled
11-24-2010, 12:26 AM
just a note on al woods.

Buccaneers Release DT Ryan Sims
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have released defensive tackle Ryan Sims, Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune reports.

The sixth overall pick of the 2002 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs, Sims (6-4, 315) was traded to the Buccaneers during the 2007 off-season. In 46 games (19 starts) over the last 3+ seasons for Tampa Bay, Sims totaled 69 tackles and 3.5 quarterback sacks.

In six games this season, Sims has four tackles and has lost playing time to rookie Al Woods, who had been signed off the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad earlier this season.

Farrior Fan
11-24-2010, 02:57 AM
In a 35-3 blowout I would have decent stats on the D line. For the record I am 6'2" 185 lbs. I can probably run a 7.8 40 and bench 225 exactly 1 time. As long as my back held up I would have kicked Dick Seymours ***.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Ziggy did have his best game to date, Wolf talked about his impact during his podcast this week. Say what you want, but without Aaron Smith in the lineup our run defense was horrific and our defense in general sucked. Now this year, Smith is still out, and Keisel is out and we are still leading the league in run defense and we had an awesome game last week.

Hood may not be solely responsible for that but you can bet he had something to do with it. Give the man credit! Steelers DL never get a bunch of tackles, hardly ever make the highlight reel. They hold their blocks and stop the run, that's what they do. PERIOD.

coldrolled
11-24-2010, 11:07 AM
They hold their blocks and stop the run, that's what they do. PERIOD.

The LB's blitz thru the holes that hood helps make. Farrior had some holes and played great.

We need more mixes in our blitzes... CB, ILB, S..

We just need to press coverage and blitz like crazy... hopefully we are back to that now and not this other crap we've seen with the pats and saints ...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Right, the DL job in our defense is to hold their ground and keep their blockers engaged so the LB's can shoot the gaps to get to the QB or make the tackle on the ball carrier. Occasionally they'll but through and be able to make a tackle to get their names on the stat sheet, but not often. They are the main reason that we can stop the run as well as we have over the years.

If they do their job, they force the RB to go where the defense wants him too so they can make the tackle. So far this year it's been working like a charm even without Smith & Keisel.

greg1964
11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
For anyone grading Ziggy performance based on how many tackles he make, doesn't know anything about 3-4 DE responsibility. Kiesel, and Smith could go a whole season and make less then 25 tackles. The 3-4 DE job is to occupy 2 blockers so that the LB's can make tackles. So instead of counting tackles of DE look at the overall performance of the front seven. And outside of the game against the Pats; (which know Steelers could say they played well) The front seven have played great, even without Keisle and Smith

K Train
11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
For anyone grading Ziggy performance based on how many tackles he make, doesn't know anything about 3-4 DE responsibility. Kiesel, and Smith could go a whole season and make less then 25 tackles. The 3-4 DE job is to occupy 2 blockers so that the LB's can make tackles. So instead of counting tackles of DE look at the overall performance of the front seven. And outside of the game against the Pats; (which know Steelers could say they played well) The front seven have played great, even without Keisle and Smith

exactly...so saying he had his best game because he had 3 tackles is just as ridiculous as saying he didnt have a good game cause he only had 3 tackles.

a blowout against a pretty bad team and an even worse right side of an oline doesnt impress me. at least he didnt make a complete fool out of himself this week. i wouldnt be surprised if he had a good game against the bills too, he could make his entire career out of just going after the QB in a blowout....which in a 43 hed do almost all the time, which is why hes better suited for that UT role

harpo
11-24-2010, 02:04 PM

I hear what you're saying and I agree. However, I don't think the people who are giving him credit are doing so based on the amount of tackles he made. What I saw out of him (in addition to the 3 tackles) is someone who was occupying multiple blockers so that the LBs could shoot through the gaps and make tackles. He was also getting pressure on both QBs. As a whole, the front seven got it done against one of the top rushing attacks in the league.

Rampage
11-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I thought he did pretty well. We are spoiled with Smith in there. Hood will eventually be solid, hopefully. He is just a victim of being a first round pick for now; he has high expectations.

K Train
11-25-2010, 05:30 PM
kraig urbik starts at RG for the bills on sunday, its a shame we wont be able to see why we really cut him since he'll be matched up against his 2009 digrace of a draft mate evander hood

igor0190
11-25-2010, 06:17 PM
kraig urbik starts at RG for the bills on sunday, its a shame we wont be able to see why we really cut him since he'll be matched up against his 2009 digrace of a draft mate evander hood

:lol:

If Ziggy can't expoit Urbik then there is something seriously wrong. You really think he won't???

K Train
11-25-2010, 06:28 PM
i think he'll make some steeler fans go omg they cut this guy? hes SO GOOD

lol

Brad 69
11-25-2010, 11:25 PM
He's making strides, but he's still failing to show any 1st round impact. Polamolu, Hampton, Faneca, Timmons, Mendenhall, Holmes, POUNCEY...these are some of our first round picks. Hood hasn't had much of an impact at all since he got here, but in his defense he is working hard and trying to make it happen, just hasn't yet.

dont forget about how much of an impact heath made since he was drafted in the first round in '05

jnes1216
11-26-2010, 01:13 AM

Urbik is with the Bills?? wow did not know that. and starting even. I knew the bills had off line woes but geez. I guess we'll see.

K Train
11-29-2010, 02:09 AM
urbik and whoever else was there raped hood all game long...lmao urbik

i will say that ive completely figured out hood. looks like tarzan plays like jane case. he really does look the part of a 34DE or 43UT, but they only time he was effective today was off the edge like a speed rusher....if he dropped 30 pounds he could play OLB for us, thats his style of play...not a dlineman

Farrior Fan
11-29-2010, 02:14 AM
but he was really good in camp, and he is a beast in the weightroom...yawn

Tomlin is really going to have a tough time benching him with all of our injuries.

K Train
11-29-2010, 02:19 AM
but he was really good in camp, and he is a beast in the weightroom...yawn

hey thats what i say

ctsteelah
11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Are expectations just too high for this guy?

After watching Suh on Thanksgiving & Fairley from Auburn Friday I went back to the youtube promos of Ziggy and thought that he dominated given the fact opposing offenses strategized against him because he was the only threat on the team in college.

Looks like I am waking up and smelling the coffee.

coldrolled
11-29-2010, 09:28 AM
we gave up 16 points.... hood is not our problem...

our offense sucks.

ctsteelah
11-29-2010, 09:33 AM

our offense sucks.

Considering the Ravens D gave up 500+ meaningful yards against the Bills I have to agree.

LatrobePA
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Hood is poo poo! But agree he's not the only problem. This team will go only as far as our D will allow us. This offense isn't going to help!!

K Train
11-29-2010, 12:36 PM

our offense sucks.

hes a major problem if he continues to play like this. so much for his breakout turning the corner game against the raiders lol

harpo
11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Well, looks like he'll have to redeem himself against the Ravens.....:greengrin:

Blazedby92
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Well, looks like he'll have to redeem himself against the Ravens.....:greengrin:

He has to do something first for us to know if he can redeem himself. :grin1:

harpo
11-29-2010, 03:03 PM
He has to do something first for us to know if he can redeem himself. :grin1:

LOL....:lol::nahnah:

harpo
12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
So, ktrain....

How would you grade Ziggy's performance in last night's game? :lol:

He had 3 tackles (a sack, a tackle for loss) and a few QB pressures.

(You know I got to mess with you.... :lol:)

Rampage
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Hood had a nice game last night.

*Awaits the token dong sack comment*

Zachintosh66
12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Didnt focus on him too much but did notice he was pushing his guy into the backfield a few times...

Sack was a coverage sack but he had the motor to finish it

I know K's feelings on him, in which he has also influenced several people on here as well...

I haven't made my mind up on Ziggy yet tho...
Part of me is disappointed that our former first rounder hasn't produced like we'd like to see, especially with all of our injuries this year
The other part of me is hopeful that he will eventually come around, is that me being too optimistic? Me being a homer? Or hopeful we didnt waste a pick on a dud. Prolly a little of all three.

I think there are bigger fish to fry like our Secondary and OL depths, but yet Nick Eason started over this guy this year, yeah Nick Eason :evilshake:

i dont know man :dunno:

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Pro Bowler! hahaha

No he did have a solid game...

coldrolled
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Arians is our biggest loser... three years and your supposed to get better right? like any player should.... well... BA is our achilles heel this year. He is probably worse now... Summers is a better keep than arians. If Troy doesnt hit Flacco we lose scoring 6 points in the game... Kinda like last year in Cleveland... 10-6

Hood will be fine... He is a beast. I dont recall any of our current DL players starting like Pouncey did as a rookie...

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 02:14 PM
How about the screen to Wallace at the 3! Not a good play call!

coldrolled
12-06-2010, 02:17 PM

He was supposed to jump 7 feet and go over them... Arians figured he didnt need any blocking... im surprised it wasnt ward over there on that catch..

K Train
12-06-2010, 02:18 PM
it was his best game so far hands down....and you saw woodley benefit from it greatly too.

hood is really good off the edge and thats how thye are using him, hes not so good in the traditional role though, but for a big man he gets a pass rush around the edge

LatrobePA
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
He was supposed to jump 7 feet and go over them... Arians figured he didnt need any blocking... im surprised it wasnt ward over there on that catch..

LOL, yea no one in front to block! Maybe just maybe have him run into the EZ then throw the ball to him!!

JensK
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I am having a hard time figuring out whether or not he is being limited by the scheme, or if he just sucks. Last night, he actually played pretty well at times, but other times he would totally get beat off the snap and drop back into some sort of zone coverage looking play, where he would run lateral without touching the o-line player. It looked really strange. I understand the concept behind x-fire blitzes etc, but that was not it.

harpo
12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
it was his best game so far hands down....and you saw woodley benefit from it greatly too.

hood is really good off the edge and thats how thye are using him, hes not so good in the traditional role though, but for a big man he gets a pass rush around the edge

I noticed that the Ravens were doubling him at times, which kinda surprised me.

cmerrifield
12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I think Hood will come around. He seems to be getting better each game. I think he is a serviceable backup for another season with Keisel locked up and Smith probably returning for his last year. I think it will be his fourth year before he starts playing at the level of Keisel or Smith, which is sad for a 1st round pick, but as long as he keeps improving, I can live with it.

coldrolled
12-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I think Hood will come around. He seems to be getting better each game. I think he is a serviceable backup for another season with Keisel locked up and Smith probably returning for his last year. I think it will be his fourth year before he starts playing at the level of Keisel or Smith, which is sad for a 1st round pick, but as long as he keeps improving, I can live with it.

he was #32 not #2

Goodfrom55
12-06-2010, 08:41 PM

would have been a great play on 2nd down.

--- Added 12/6/2010 at 06:41 PM ---

"Zig" will be ok. Biggest thing the DL needs to do (except for Kiesel) is get their hands up on passing plays. Brett is the only one who does it.

coach
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I think Hood had one good play and many poor plays. On a couple tackles he was blown off the line and the runner ran into him.

On one of the first bombs Hood ran wide to pressure Flacco but got nowhere near him. His lack of speed/explosion was evident last night. I know a couple guys have really been on him since he got here and I thought perhaps they were over-generalizing. I think I saw exactky what they meant last night.

K Train
12-06-2010, 11:37 PM

--- Added 12/6/2010 at 06:41 PM ---

"Zig" will be ok. Biggest thing the DL needs to do (except for Kiesel) is get their hands up on passing plays. Brett is the only one who does it.

eason bats passes down more than keisel

DanRooney
12-07-2010, 06:20 AM

I said the SAME exact thing. There was a big cushion and Wallace would have walked in.

Dean Denton
12-07-2010, 07:36 AM
He's making strides, but he's still failing to show any 1st round impact. Polamolu, Hampton, Faneca, Timmons, Mendenhall, Holmes, POUNCEY...these are some of our first round picks. Hood hasn't had much of an impact at all since he got here, but in his defense he is working hard and trying to make it happen, just hasn't yet.Its hard for lineman in a 3-4 to get credit. Look at Aaron Smith. That guy still doesn't get the credit he deserves. Not that Ziggy is playing at that level, but those three guys up front are the reason the LB are making plays. And Hood is a part of that. He will get better. This is a hard Def to learn.

K Train
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Its hard for lineman in a 3-4 to get credit. Look at Aaron Smith. That guy still doesn't get the credit he deserves. Not that Ziggy is playing at that level, but those three guys up front are the reason the LB are making plays. And Hood is a part of that. He will get better. This is a hard Def to learn.

literally everyone knows this....thats not the point, we (especially me) dont want huge numbers, but solid contributions would be terrific. i can accept aaron smith as a master of his position without the stats, i can certainly tell when a rookie DE is doing well. your not uncovering the mystery of evander hood by claiming he doesnt play a big number positions, we know

cmerrifield
12-07-2010, 11:23 AM
literally everyone knows this....thats not the point, we (especially me) dont want huge numbers, but solid contributions would be terrific. i can accept aaron smith as a master of his position without the stats, i can certainly tell when a rookie DE is doing well. your not uncovering the mystery of evander hood by claiming he doesnt play a big number positions, we know

I know you used to think "no," but after watching Hood start several games, do you think he can play the position, especially if next year is another back-up year for him? Do you think Hood can start in the season after next if Smith retires? (Next season is the last season on Smith's contract, I am pretty sure)

K Train
12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
no i do not think he has a future as a major contributor on this team. i think he will go back to being a backup....i think they will certainly draft another DE in the first 2-3 rounds this year and probably a NT too. I expect cameron heyward to be a steeler is hes available when they choose, and his lack of pass rush ability makes it look promising that he will fall. dont look at that as a negative thing either because he is a monster 5 tech and exactly what he need to work that strong side LDE spot, hood might be better suited for the weak side being that he is an attacking player rather than a hold his own with leverage type.

realistically hoods ability will be wasted as long as he is playing in a 34