PDA

View Full Version : Seymour only fined 25k

jnes1216
11-22-2010, 07:07 PM
No suspension just a fine for $25k. Shameful by the NFL. IF this was on Manning or Brady it would be multi-game suspension for sure.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c526d8/article/raiders-seymour-fined-25k-for-striking-steelers-roethlisberger?module=HP_headlines

Oakland Raiders defensive end Richard Seymour has been fined $25,000 for striking Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, reports NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora, via a league source.

Steelers linebacker James Harrison feels that the NFL should suspend Seymour, who was ejected after punching Roethlisberger in the jaw with an open hand in the Steelers' 35-3 win on Sunday.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
"I don't see why not," Harrison told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "They're trying to suspend guys for hits when that's within the whistles, some hits that guys can't even stop from doing. It's an adjustment that a receiver makes to what you are about to do to him, and you end up hitting helmet to helmet. You're talking about suspending a guy for that? You tell me what the next step is for a guy who blatantly, outside the play, it's already thrown, and a guy is going to celebrate with his teammates and you punch him in the face."

Harrison, a former AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year, briefly threatened to retire after the NFL fined him $75,000 for his Oct. 17 helmet hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

Harrison was one of three players punished by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits following Week 6. He was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender.

After completing a 22-yard touchdown pass to Emmanuel Sanders, Roethlisberger jumped into the arms of offensive tackle Flozell Adams. Roethlisberger then began walking forward and appeared to say something to Seymour, who turned and struck the quarterback in the jaw with his open right hand. Seymour would not confirm that Roethlisberger provoked him.

"You heard a lot of stuff going on," Seymour told reporters after the game. "I never complain about what happens in the trenches. You've never heard me complain about anything that goes on. Like I said, my main focus is on the team and not doing anything to hurt the team."

Roethlisberger told reporters he only said: "Let's get ready for the extra point."

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey (knee contusion), left guard Chris Kemoeatu (cramps) and left tackle Jonathan Scott (ankle) suffered injuries in the win, but none appear serious.

Pouncey told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that it is unlikely he will undergo an MRI exam to assess damage to his left knee.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Rampage
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm going to call this team the Dangerfields. "No respect."

Good job, Goodell. Way to not hurt Seymour's feelings. He said he was sorry, that's good enough. :willybs:

steelersbabex25
11-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Christ. You have got to be kidding me.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-22-2010, 07:16 PM
$25,000 dollars. Your suspicion is confirmed. Why didn't Ben's teamates kick Seemore's ***? Hope they weren't scared. Just sayin.

chisteeler
11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I know it is a teams goal every year to win the Super Bowl, and I am not upset when we don't go to the Super Bowl every year, that's just unrealistic. You can't win them all. However, I truly hope that the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year, just to stick to Roger Goodell. Revenge is a dish best served cold!

Rampage
11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
$25,000 dollars. Your suspicion is confirmed. Why didn't Ben's teamates kick Seemore's ***? Hope they weren't scared.

I doubt they were scared of Seymour; probably scared of Goodell. They would have been fined $100k each and suspended for the duration of the season.

K Train
11-22-2010, 07:26 PM
25k for a palm to the face is quite a bit....i was fined 300 for decking someone in the face once

Steel Trap86
11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
25k is a joke. Harrisson got 100k for hitting somebody between the whistles and had a case for himself. This isn't the first time Seymour has pulled some **** like this either. Just goes to show Goodell doesn't give a **** and handed out the smallest fine possible.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I doubt they were scared of Seymour; probably scared of Goodell. They would have been fined $100k each and suspended for the duration of the season.

ur right on that. and they probably would have been suspended for the rest of the season as well. .... we are screwed. makes the outcome of every game we play from here on out suspect in fact.

Steel Trap86
11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
steeler haters are LOVING this by the way lol i've seen about 10 signatures already with that hit over and over.

i don't even think raider fans care as much about the loss, just that they got to see ben got knocked

SteelerEyeZ
11-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Seriously when will someone stand up and point to GODell and be like WTF IS Your beef with the Steelers...He is a punk bitch and it pisses me off

steelchamp204
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
we shoulda all invite goodell to heinz field for a sunday tailgate and then beat the **** outta him

steelersbabex25
11-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Seriously when will someone stand up and point to GODell and be like WTF IS Your beef with the Steelers...He is a punk bitch and it pisses me off

He likes the Ravens. Nuff said.

Prosdo
11-22-2010, 07:52 PM
No suspension and a small fine kinda surprised. Thought Goodell would have to make a statement here.

LatrobePA
11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
25k for a palm to the face is quite a bit....i was fined 300 for decking someone in the face once

Got video?? lol

Troyisabeast_43
11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
The Steelers handed the Raiders their asses yesterday 35-3 and really put a hurtin on their chances of making the playoffs that's all that matters to me in that game. Is Seymour a worthless piece of **** and a dirty player absolutely but as long as the Steelers continue to play the way they did yesterday they will win a lot of football games and that's all I care about at the end of the day...

steelchamp204
11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
No suspension and a small fine kinda surprised. Thought Goodell would have to make a statement here.

So when we play the ravens in a couple weeks can we just have harrison knock joe flacco the **** out with a punch and take him outta the game? I mean seriously, it is only 25k, what do you guys think?

steelersbabex25
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm in the midst of writing an email to the NFL

K Train
11-22-2010, 08:02 PM
i think they should fine pouncey personally.

for being a rookie that single handily broke down seymours spirits and making him go psycho

Steel Trap86
11-22-2010, 08:04 PM
lol I just got an image of James Harrisson upper cutting Brady. I guarantee you James would have been suspended indefinitely and fined 250k

steelersbabex25
11-22-2010, 08:04 PM
i think they should fine pouncey personally.

for being a rookie that single handily broke down seymours spirits and making him go psycho

:lol: I was going to say, "for being too good," until I pressed the quote button

LatrobePA
11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
I just fined myself! No suspension though!!

jpele
11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
$25,000 dollars. Your suspicion is confirmed. Why didn't Ben's teamates kick Seemore's ***? Hope they weren't scared. Just sayin.

Seymour struck Roethlisberger right in front of his offensive linemen, and every single one of them came to his defense, as did two players that were not even close to the action ran in to make sure the Roethlisberger would be protected.>>>>HERE<<<<
(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/523696-nfl-week-11-the-punch-that-backed-roger-goodell-into-a-corner)

Goodfrom55
11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
If it were Brady or Pumpkinhead Manning, there would have been arrests, cavity searches, suspensions, you name it.

Double standards make me want to puke.

LatrobePA
11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I like the idea of cavity searches...Who know what you'd find up that big arsehole!!

SteelerEyeZ
11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Question: For the My Mood....Can i get a GODell Hatred???? I would realllllyyy like that
Whats everyone thing?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2010, 08:43 PM

Im right with ya Prosdo; Goodell had the perfect chance to step up and show the world yet again that NFL is not a violent, cheap shot league, and put down the hammer...but alas it wasn't going to happen.

mwittman5
11-22-2010, 09:04 PM
pretty funny I was with my gf when I got the text from ESPN saying seymour got fined 25K and she said my faced turned red and asked whats wrong. pretty much sums up how mad I am about this. If I didn't love the steelers so much i'd be done with the NFL

K Train
11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
guys seriously seymour palmed him in the face....its not a big deal, im sure ben was surprised by it, but he clearly flopped.

helmet to helmet hits and late hits and all that stuff are legit dangerous...this was stupid, it was a verbal confrontation, seymour was ejected, theyve done that for years....any more of a fine wouls be stupid. if he plowed into bens head or knees after the whistle it would be different

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
since we are so fn hated by the nfl and since someone took advantage of us it is time now to understand "you play the steelers, you play at your own risk".

Steel Trap86
11-22-2010, 09:15 PM
guys seriously seymour palmed him in the face....its not a big deal, im sure ben was surprised by it, but he clearly flopped.

I think Goodell set a new standard for fines when he hit Harrisson with that $100,000 one. That's probably why everybody is pissed, cause it wasn't enough.

mwittman5
11-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I think Goodell set a new standard for fines when he hit Harrisson with that $100,000 one. That's probably why everybody is pissed, cause it wasn't enough.

exactly, it should be fined more than Harrison. We all know if Harrison had done this he would have received a massive fine

steelersbabex25
11-22-2010, 09:17 PM

helmet to helmet hits and late hits and all that stuff are legit dangerous...this was stupid, it was a verbal confrontation, seymour was ejected, theyve done that for years....any more of a fine wouls be stupid. if he plowed into bens head or knees after the whistle it would be different

I don't think it's the actual danger that people are worried about here. It's the hypocritical acts by the NFL. It's the double standards. It's the fact that Harrison can get fined twice as much as Seymour for a clean, legal hit, and Seymour only gets fined $25,000 for a hit in which he was clearly trying to harm Roethlisberger. That's my problem.

igor0190
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
$25,000 to seymour probably the right amount.
$75,000 to Harrison definately without a doubt STILL the wrong amount. Absurd.

Being a repeat offender I was still hoping seymour got suspended for a game. Who cares though, he's a loser and has to play for the al davis led oak raiders.

LarryNJ
11-22-2010, 10:04 PM
When you get ejected from the game does that cost you any salary like a suspension does?

SteelDad
11-22-2010, 10:24 PM
And Goodell's double-standard marches on.... Guy cold-***** a player and has prior offenses, gets ejected and gets $25,000. A guy makes a questionable hit DURING the course of action and has prior offenses and gets $75,000. Makes sense to me! NOT.

jnes1216
11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
When you get ejected from the game does that cost you any salary like a suspension does?

No he still gets the game check.

lloydfan4life
11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't think it's the actual danger that people are worried about here. It's the hypocritical acts by the NFL. It's the double standards. It's the fact that Harrison can get fined twice as much as Seymour for a clean, legal hit, and Seymour only gets fined $25,000 for a hit in which he was clearly trying to harm Roethlisberger. That's my problem.

Exactly. Good post. :yellowthumb:

I don't understand how Goodell can justify the lack of fairness in which players are fined.

Dee Mca
11-22-2010, 11:50 PM
If Ben and the Steeler's feel that this fine is unjust they can always file Assult charges against Seymour. More than enough evidence to get a conviction. Had a nice discussion about this in my Criminal Law and Procedures class tonight.

Stephen69
11-23-2010, 12:17 AM
I have played football in youth leagues & high school, & been a huge NFL fan since i was little & grew up watching bettis & the Steelers awesome defense. However i have never seen such bad decisions from the comissioner & hypocracy. It is a physical game full of vicious hits & injuries & i love the bonecrushing shutdown defense being a former NT @ Bloomingdale High School. The way goodell is taking the physical aspect away, singling out Harison, & being so lienant on seymour is pathetic i have not seen anyone screw up running something this bad except the gov't. The NFL is the greatest sport there is & doesnt need changing. How much more can he screw up the game? Make them wear sumo suits to protect offensive players lol, Harison would still find a wat to pop it he would hit the QB & BOOM the suit would blow up & the QB would go flying & goodell wouls still fine him ROFL, or he would fing a temprapedic memory foam helmet thats 4X bigger than normal to cushion helmet to helmet hits, but players woulg hurt their necks & have to ring them out when it rains & they absorb all the water LOL. The steelers should call a press conference & express their anger @ goodell @ least.

greennick
11-23-2010, 05:41 AM
I don't really have a problem with this. The 75k for Harrison was too much for what is a split second decision. But the 25k is about right. It was open handed and Ben wasn't hurt at all.

Sure if it was Manning or Brady he would have gotten a bigger fine, but that would be because they would have been out concussed.

JensK
11-23-2010, 06:44 AM
$25,000 to seymour probably the right amount.
$75,000 to Harrison definately without a doubt STILL the wrong amount. Absurd.

Being a repeat offender I was still hoping seymour got suspended for a game. Who cares though, he's a loser and has to play for the al davis led oak raiders.

That sums it up right here. There is nothing wrong with the 25k fine Seymour got. The problem is that Steelers is getting fined for doing nothing. I mean, Woodley got 12.5k for putting to flat hands on the shoulders of Brady last week, and Harrison may or may not get a fine for a total legit hit on Campbell.

StlersGuy
11-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I would like to know why he was only fined and not made to sit out any games after all he punched someone..

*Sent from my HTC Droid using the Now Network..

Steelerlyn
11-23-2010, 11:42 AM
I thought they gave out fines on Fridays?

Farrior Fan
11-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I thought they gave out fines on Fridays?

I was thinking the same thing, I guess they just wanted to make a statement "we don't really care what happens to Ben since he has been falsely accused and makes our league look like a bunch of womanizers. So in response we have forbidden hard hits, tough D, and of course encourage bitch slapping. Therefore we are only going to fine Dick Seymour 25K"