PDA

View Full Version : Do the Rooneys step up?

chisteeler
11-22-2010, 01:44 AM
I've never been one to blame officiating, because after all, they are human. In any sport, there is margin for human error. But today's game was a travesty. Am I wrong? Anyway,
do the Rooneys step up and question the power of Goodell as Troy P. did, or do they sit back and ride out the storm? Something needs to be said or done. I just fear that it could be too little too late.:rant2:

Dean Denton
11-22-2010, 03:46 AM
I've never been one to blame officiating, because after all, they are human. In any sport, there is margin for human error. But today's game was a travesty. Am I wrong? Anyway,
do the Rooneys step up and question the power of Goodell as Troy P. did, or do they sit back and ride out the storm? Something needs to be said or done. I just fear that it could be too little too late.:rant2:I was asking this question today as well. I would think that the Rooney's would be getting a little pissed at this point. The league is trying to change the culture of this franchise and this franchise has 6 SB's. What they do works and if the had a QB between Bradshaw and Ben they would have 4 or 5 more SB's. Time will tell if the Rooney's step up. I would hope they at least cover all the bullshit fines that their players are getting. These players are playing the way the franchise wants them to play....hell, these players are playing the way the were taught to play at the age of 10....

DIESELMAN
11-22-2010, 05:20 AM
I would hope they at least cover all the bullshit fines that their players are getting. These players are playing the way the franchise wants them to play....hell, these players are playing the way the were taught to play at the age of 10....
I agree 100%!! The fines definitely need to be covered by the Steelers. The players are doing what is asked of them, not their fault that Goodell is turning the NFL into flag footballI.

Raleigh Steel
11-22-2010, 06:43 AM
i'm sure the rooney's will say something privately to roger. it's not their way to go public with something like this. but it was clear that the refs were targeting the steelers and have been targeting harrison all season long.

woodley bumps campbell and it's roughing the passer. harrison tackles campbell right after he threw the ball and he get's called for "using his full weight" WTF is that????? clark gets called for a helmet to helmet hit when he hit a guy in the rib cage??? he should have been called for a shoulder to kidney hit!

i said this after the browns game...every time a steeler hits someone hard...even if legal, they will get flagged for it. pathetic!

oh, and to all the steeler haters out there who think we get all the refs help and can't win without them...STFU!

jpele
11-22-2010, 08:03 AM
I agree 100%!! The fines definitely need to be covered by the Steelers. The players are doing what is asked of them, not their fault that Goodell is turning the NFL into flag footballI.

The only problem with that is it would be considered unreported salary and we would lose a draft pick.

LarryNJ
11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
. The league is trying to change the culture of this franchise and this franchise has 6 SB's. .. these players are playing the way the were taught to play at the age of 10....

I really think everyone needs to take off their Black & Gold glasses...the league isn't trying to change the culture of the Steelers. They are trying to change the culture of the ENTIRE LEAGUE. The Steelers are not the only team that is effected by the recent changes, we are not the only team that likes to be aggressive and hit hard, the league isn't out to get the Steelers... all of they are out to get us BS really makes us sound like a bunch of whining bitches no different than a Seahawks fan or a Flyers fan in hockey. Bitch all you want about the changes but it's not the league against the Steelers, and it's really not even the refs fault. The league is also getting them to change the way they have called games for years, just like the players.

greg1964
11-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Even if the Rooneys pulled the Goodell tail: We would never hear anything about it:

The real question is WHAT is Goodell going to do about the poor officiating. You can't hit them high (head shot) you can't hit the low (knee shot) and can't run through them (driving them to the ground) (BTW this is how we teach kid to tackle from pop-warner up) you can't swing them around and through them to the ground. Maybe we take all the equipment off these players and tie red ribbon onto their waste and play FLAG football.

If I was a player (which I'm not) was would have to get CLEAR direction on what is allowed and what isn't BEFORE I agree to any new CBA, because what we have now is turning me off to football.

madtowndrunkard
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
The funny thing is with out proper techinque when tackling more players will get hurt. We saw it with Clark. If Clark would have not let up and when low, he probably would not have got hurt. He probably would have gone over the top of the WR and nothing happens. Instead the WR ducks, Clark comes flying in tentatively, he misses his target and plants his head and neck into a guys back. That could have ended much worse.

Players trying to avoid head shots are now tackling low.... more knee injuries will happen. More neck injuries will occur to the defensive players.

steelersbabex25
11-22-2010, 09:56 AM
I really think everyone needs to take off their Black & Gold glasses...the league isn't trying to change the culture of the Steelers. They are trying to change the culture of the ENTIRE LEAGUE. The Steelers are not the only team that is effected by the recent changes, we are not the only team that likes to be aggressive and hit hard, the league isn't out to get the Steelers... all of they are out to get us BS really makes us sound like a bunch of whining bitches no different than a Seahawks fan or a Flyers fan in hockey. Bitch all you want about the changes but it's not the league against the Steelers, and it's really not even the refs fault. The league is also getting them to change the way they have called games for years, just like the players.

Are you kidding me? The Steelers are absolutely being targeted more than any other team. They're trying to change the league yeah, but do the Steelers need to be the ones to be made an example of? Just so happens that the team they target is the team with the 6 superbowls, right?

Rampage
11-22-2010, 10:19 AM
They need to. It would be nice for the Rooneys to use their clout to tell the head office that these penalties and fines are off base. Maybe they could send Goodell a gift basket of Vagisil while they are at it, too.

LatrobePA
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
How can you say the league isn't trying to change the Steelers???

Did you watch the game yesterday??

LarryNJ
11-22-2010, 11:21 AM
How can you say the league isn't trying to change the Steelers???

Did you watch the game yesterday??

Yes I have. Have you watched any other games? The refs are confused, they have no idea what to call and it's in EVERY game not just the Steelers games. They wait 15 seconds or longer and if they see that the receiver is shaken up than they throw a flag. A couple of weeks ago the Eagles defender barely touched the QB's helmet with his hand and 15 yards.. the list goes on and on.

The real question is WHAT is Goodell going to do about the poor officiating. You can't hit them high (head shot) you can't hit the low (knee shot) and can't run through them (driving them to the ground) (BTW this is how we teach kid to tackle from pop-warner up) you can't swing them around and through them to the ground. Maybe we take all the equipment off these players and tie red ribbon onto their waste and play FLAG football.

If I was a player (which I'm not) was would have to get CLEAR direction on what is allowed and what isn't BEFORE I agree to any new CBA, because what we have now is turning me off to football.

You are right about there is no clarity it what is allowed and what isn't allowed. That's the problem..the refs are as confused as you , me or the players.

75Steeler
11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I feel like we are targeted ever since the first fines against Harrison they have been looking for any excuse to hit us with penalties and fines. They are trying to make an example out of us. I also think that Goodell doesn't want us to win a 7th Superbowl and be the league leader by 2 or more Superbowls. He wants to keep it @ 6 with several teams.

Steelersfan
11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
**** the refs and **** the savior! Steelers better keep bringing it!!!

Root4Stlrs
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
:imho:The game yesterday was the worst called game I have ever sat through. I was sitting looking right at the roughing the passer call on Harrison that nullified Ike's pick 6. There should not have been any confusion regarding that call. It wasn't even close to being roughing the passer. Ridiculous. Flags were being thrown on every play - how many holding calls did we get? Why were the refs throwing all the flags for holding? Are they also confused about that? I just think that was an inept crew at Heinz Field yesterday - the interference call on Ike Taylor was bizaare. I still don't even know what the thing they called about the pile was. There are always bad calls in games and it usually evens out but the game yesterday was ridiculous. The bad calls helped fire up the defense, as well as the crowd so, in some ways, it worked to the Steelers' advantage. I will be interested to see if this crew ends up working any of the games in the post-season - I would be surprised if that happened.
I'm confused as to why there was no fine on the Patriot who knocked Hines Ward out of the game. They even had a chance to watch that one over and over (in addition to the 15 seconds they supposedly wait) and still didn't think it was illegal, which means the "if the receiver gets hurt" rule didn't apply in that case. So they're confused alright and so is everyone else.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Many of those calls were ridiculous. Harrison clearly took the time to adjust his body position so he could hit Campbell appropriately and then got called for landing with his full body weight? What the hell is that? He is supposed to land with 1/2 his body weight? Or maybe the NFL would prefer if Mr. Harrison went over to Mr. Campbell and politely said "excuse me sir, I believe I have you at a disadvantage; would you consider laying on the ground please?"