PDA

View Full Version : Why this year won't turn into last year's debacle

coach
11-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Currnet injuries notwithstanding, this article from Cold Hard Football Facts gives an interetsing synopsis of Steelers performance thus far:

QUALITY STANDINGS UPDATE
Sure, the Steelers got smoked in Week 10 by the Patriots. But they remain well positioned to compete for a conference title, at least if our Quality Standing are any indication.

Teams that are battle tested during the regular season are generally well groomed to succeed in the meat grinder of the postseason. And no team with a winning record right now is more battle tested than Pittsburgh.

They've faced seven Quality Opponents this year and are 4-3 against those teams with winning records. They've also outscored those seven opponents by an average of 2.0 PPG. It's not dominant by any stretch. But 6-3 overall is hardly a bad record when seven of those nine opponents are likely playoff-bound teams.

Only three teams so far this year have faced a greater number of Quality Opponents: Buffalo, Cleveland and Denver. And those three teams have certainly suffered in the face of such a brutal schedule. Those three teams are a combined 5-19 against Quality Opponents and 7-20 overall.

So Pittsburgh has clearly perservered in light of its schedule ... the big loss to the Patriots notwithstanding.

Clevelandsux
11-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I sure hope you're right. But we really need to get some offense.

Farrior Fan
11-20-2010, 12:36 AM
ClevelandSux, I think your post was almost dead on so I tweaked it just a little "I sure hope you're right. But we really need to get a competent offensive coordinator"

Rampage
11-20-2010, 02:14 PM
One can hope. If this team beats the Raiders and Bills, two teams that it should be able to, then I agree. Last year this team was looking past games; maybe they are more humble this year and they will play like they want to win.

Clevelandsux
11-20-2010, 09:48 PM
The Steelers have no reason to look past anyone, especially after the asskicking they got sunday night.

Nolrog
11-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I sure hope you're right. But we really need to get some offense.

And some pass defense. And some pressure on the QB. And some one who could actually kick FGs. And a 5 man offensive line that could effectively block 3 rushers, and a coordinator that designs plays that are a bit more than "Ben goes back to pass gets out of trouble and finds someone open."

coach
11-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Could you imagine if this game comes down to a mid-long range field goal????

The thoughts that will go through the minds of fans leading up to the kick?

airbrake 1
11-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Could you imagine if this game comes down to a mid-long range field goal????

The thoughts that will go through the minds of fans leading up to the kick?

If this happens and suissam misses it you will see a bunch of people who were calling for reed's head wishing he was back